Homemade Hamburger Buns

I had tried, on several occasions, to make whole wheat hamburger buns. My results were generally, flat and crumbly. Mark and the children gallantly ate them, but I have a kind family.

That was before this recipe. This was sent to me by a good friend from Florida and produces wonderful, company worthy hamburger buns every time, even when my easily distracted, second daughter makes them. They are super easy to make, look lovely, and taste amazing. You will never want to go back to those preservative filled store bought buns again. Unless of course you are going to be feeding several hundred people.

Hamburger Buns in 30 minutes:

3 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar or 1/2 cup honey
6 T. active dry yeast
1 T. salt
3 eggs, beaten
10 1/2 cups white or wheat flour (For company we usually use 4 cups wheat to 6 bread flour then add bread flour as needed, but this is wonderful with all whole wheat.)

Mix first 4 ingredients and let rest for 15 minutes. It should get sponge and get bubbly. Add remaining ingredients. Mix, then knead for 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 425. Roll out to 1/2″ thick. Shape immediately. I use the ring from a wide mouth canning jar for hamburger buns. You could also make child size buns. Let rise for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes or until done.

I have lots more Do-It-Yourself tutorials.  Want more recipes?

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest579Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

62 Responses to Homemade Hamburger Buns
  1. Stephanie
    February 26, 2009 | 2:08 am

I may try that, it sounds easy enough! Thanks for sharing.

2. Heather
    March 2, 2009 | 6:16 pm

Will definately try them. I don’t love my bun recipe.

3. Farm Fresh Jessica
    March 18, 2009 | 3:30 am

I am going to try that–I currently use a “40 minute bun recipe” from tasteofhome.com that is pretty good too! How many buns would your recipe make? you need considerably more than we would, unless they freeze well…

4. Lisa
    April 20, 2009 | 4:51 pm

I love to bake, but have never had much luck with hamberger buns. I will be sure to try these, they look really good. I will cut in half since I only have two kids left at home(sniff). I have been trying to phase out the factory foods from our diet and we have been buying buns because I haven’t found a good alternative.
    Thank you again! I really love your blog:)

5. Renee N. from Mississippi
    April 20, 2009 | 4:56 pm

Kimberley,
    Hi my friend! I was thinking of trying your hamburger bun recipe. How many buns does your recipe make?

You know we go to your website every day??? The girls are really enjoying it. Love ya!

Renee

Kimberly Reply:

I’m not sure exactly how many buns this recipe makes. It is a lot! It will feed our family around 3 or 4 times, so probably 30-40 buns depending on how large you make them.

6. Renee N. from Mississippi
    April 23, 2009 | 3:56 pm

Just made them! I only did a HALF batch (it made 27 med. sized buns) to see how they would do for me. WONDERFUL! This recipe is definitely a KEEPER. Much better than the recipe I used. We are having them for supper. Thanks for sharing this with me! Love you guys!

7. Gretchen
    May 16, 2009 | 2:41 pm

Oh wow, I am going to try these as well. I was also wondering how much this recipe made, but I saw another comment and I will probably half them and freeze some as well.

Thank you for posting it!

8. MomStarr
    July 24, 2009 | 6:37 pm

I have made these several times since K posted this and they are wonderful!!!!! I did want to share that I only had instant yeast on hand and found that it will work fine – you just do NOT need to dissolve instant yeast. Just toss it in with the flour and mix – eliminating the 15 min. bubble step! Thanks for a great tasting bun…no more store bought!

9. the inadvertent farmer
    September 7, 2009 | 4:15 pm

Thanks, I’m always looking for new bread recipes. I too have tried homemade buns with limited success, and being vegan doesn’t help the matter. I am going to try your recipe with egg replacer and see how it goes…Kim

10. mumo6
    October 6, 2009 | 9:44 am

Yum ~ yum ~ yum!

When I made them I thought they looked like they would be too small, but they fit the patties perfectly. Family loved them! Used the leftovers for fried egg sandwiches the next day. Made them again last night, not for burgers but to serve alongside Musgo soup.

Thanks, MomStarr, for the instant yeast tip. Makes this already quick recipe almost instant!

11. nicole
    October 21, 2009 | 12:29 pm

I just made these today! They turned out awesome!

Super simple to make as well.

12. Jimmie
    November 10, 2009 | 3:57 am

I always make our own, and I have a fabulous recipe. But I’ll print this one and try it.

13. Lindsey in AL
    November 10, 2009 | 1:02 pm

Do you knead these by hand or with a mixer? That makes a big difference in the length of kneading time and I would hate to mess it up the first time out. Thanks so much!

Raising Olives Reply:

We knead by hand. 🙂

14. Becky
    December 12, 2009 | 5:42 pm

I made them. They looked great. But I think mine were too heavy. I did use some wheat flour and oat flour in place of some of the white, which would explain it. I plan to try them again though using only white flour. I’ll also use sugar rather than honey, too.

All my previous attempts were whole wheat with honey. I think using the white flour is really the key to getting that light fluffy yummy. Not so healthy, but really tasty. 🙂

15. Andria
    January 2, 2010 | 6:17 pm

I tried your recipe about a month ago and loved it. They turned out great. I did half the recipe and had too many, so I froze the leftovers. I was so happy with how they defrost. Thanks for the post!

It is a big recipe. Glad to know that they freeze well.

16. Ashley
    January 22, 2010 | 2:12 pm

These did not come out right for me 🙁 I’m bummed! They are great dinner rolls, but not even close to what your photo looks like and they are too heavy to be hamburger buns. I don’t know what I did wrong.

Dawn Reply:

Did you let the yeast sit in the water and sugar for 15 minutes? It does need to proof a little…also, if you are halving the recipe (or cutting it in thirds, as I did) make sure the measurements are as close to accurate as possible! Try it again, it’s really worth it. Good luck!

Ashley – I’m not sure what type of flour you used, but we typically use 4 cups whole wheat and 6 cups bread flour. If we use more WW they end up heavier and not as nice for hamburger buns.

I hope that you can figure it out. We’re currently having problems with our regular whole wheat bread and just haven’t been able to figure it out.

17. Dawn
    January 26, 2010 | 12:31 am

Hi! This bun recipe was great…and so versatile! I’ve also used it for garlic bread. Roll the dough about 1/2 an inch thick, brush with garlic butter and slice before baking! Truly fantastic, thank you so much for the recipe. We ate the buns on our sloppy joe’s tonight!

18. Andrea
    March 12, 2010 | 4:46 pm

These really are fast, I am making them tonight, they are baking as I am typing this, Hope they taste as good as they look, Got to go…

19. […] buttermilk and yogurt – granola bars – tortillas (recipe at the bottom of this post) hamburger  and/or hot dog buns –  Laundry soap – While this isn’t food, it does get cooked. […]

20. Lynnet Hardwick
    May 4, 2010 | 3:24 pm

We love Homemade Burger buns at our house and yours look so yummy! They are so delicious and the kids get really excited when I make them. They are so simple, my kids have made them before. I’ve used a recipe from King Arthur Flour Company called Moomie’s beautiful Burger Buns and have made them with wheat before, but as you stated they are somewhat heavier. I don’t use a bread machine because I love to feel the dough in my hands, so I don’t always pay attention to how much flour I put in – just do it until it “feels” right! Drives my family nutty!

We love to cut ours in half and grill them. I’ve heard you can make hot dog buns from this as well, but we don’t eat that many hotdogs.

21. Amanda
    May 31, 2010 | 10:06 pm

I only realized after mixing ingredients I only had 3 packs of yeast. So I just continued with it to see how it turned out. Well it taste like fresh bread and not buns but at least it’s edible except for the rising pan that was awaiting the space in my little oven. ((kids decided to dump a little water..note to self: don’t leave bread alone in kitchen)) thank you very much. Since I’m pregnant and I love white bread more than wheat for some reason…this kind I can deal with.I did it with bread and wheat but the bread flour is made with wheat so I’m getting enough for sure. I’ll be make some more for the freezer. This time I’m waiting till kids are asleep.

22. Jennie
    May 31, 2010 | 10:33 pm

These were perfect, thanks! Used 2tbsp of flax seed ground up and 5tbsp of water to replace the egg, also used honey and they still turned out great! Was able to get 12 large hamburger buns and 4 hot dog rolls out of half the recipe, so quick and so much better than the store bought stuff. Yummy!

23. Amy
    June 14, 2010 | 1:57 pm

I’m very excited about this. My hubby’s birthday is Thursday and he requested a “gourmet” chili dog dinner. I thought of this recipe for buns. Do you shape these differently when you make hot dogs? Thanks!

24. Diane
    July 10, 2010 | 1:14 am

These are the BEST buns I’ve ever made. I tell all my friends they have to make them. I cut the recipe in half, using 1 egg is perfect, knead for 3 minutes on 2 in my KitchenAid mixer. I turned down the oven to 400 and cooked for 3 minutes longer. Get 20+ buns of various sizes. (For our various size people in the family.) The little ones love having their “own” bun without cutting it in half. My kids say the leftovers make the best ham buns for lunch too and they don’t taste stale like store-bought. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe.

25. Back to the Plan! :: GettingFreedom.net
    July 12, 2010 | 10:36 am

[…] Philly Cheesesteak on homemade hoagies.  Oven […]

26. Rachel
    July 17, 2010 | 11:50 pm

I can’t wait to try these!! I’ve been looking for a burger bun recipe. Think I’ll put bison burgers on the menu for next week!!

27. Donna
    July 28, 2010 | 3:54 pm

I can’t wait to make your recipe but I have to question whether I am to use 6 Tablespoons of yeast and 1 Tablespoon of salt or am I to use 6 teaspoons/1 teaspoon? Thanks

Thanks Donna. It should be tablespoons of both.

28. Veronica
    September 3, 2010 | 12:14 pm

Should I be using bread flour or regular all-purpose flour? I have both so it’s no inconvenience, I just want them to come out right. Thanks loads for the recipe (even if I did find it much later than it’s original posting).

Thanks Veronica. I use all-purpose flour when we make these.

29. Shelly
    September 27, 2010 | 9:40 pm

I made these tonight and they turned out beautifully. Thank you!

30. Hamburger Buns in 30 Minutes « Growing in Grace
    September 27, 2010 | 10:24 pm

[…] 28, 2010 in Uncategorized I made these great hamburger buns tonight.  The recipe came from the Raising Olives blog.  They really are fast, abundant, and easy.  I used the honey option and four cups of whole wheat […]

31. Christine
    October 12, 2010 | 11:15 am

I’m so excited to try this! We eat a lot of garlic bread and I make mine with hamburger buns to save money, this will help save even more! It is so good if you want to try: Cut 6 buns in half, so each bun makes 4 small pieces. Melt 2 sticks of butter in the microwave, then stir in 1 tbsp of garlic powder and 1 tbsp oregano. Mix it up, then pour into a pan, the kind with sides of course, or else it will pour off the edges. Put the buns face down in the butter, and swish them around until they soak it all up. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. They turn out so crispy and buttery and delicious!

32. Melanie
    December 10, 2010 | 7:11 pm

I made these today and they were really good. And I think my husband will love them too!

Melanie Reply:

The verdict is in…haha. My husband is pretty picky when it comes to whole wheat bread. I’ve had a hard time coming up with a recipe that is light and fluffy enough. He really loved these buns. We’re using them for sandwiches as well. Thank you again!

33. Alicia
    February 23, 2011 | 3:18 pm

Kimberly, I realize you posted this recipe a long time ago, but I just had to add that today we made CINNAMON ROLLS with this dough, and they were fantastic!!!! Been loving the buns for everyday sandwiches for months now, but I suddenly realized the dough seemed great for rolls too!! I subbed melted butter for the oil and went heavy on the whole wheat, I think 75% of the flour and threw in some flax seed for myself to feel better about serving such a sweet treat to my kids for breakfast. Thanks so much for saving the day…my 5 yr old loves this bfast, and it was great to be able to treat him this morning without having to make the dough the night before. The hamburger buns freeze great, so I’m sure the baked cinnamon rolls will too! Many thanks…Alicia in Cookeville, TN

Melanie Reply:

Alicia, we also LOVE this recipe but I hadn’t thought of making cinnamon rolls with it. I think I’ll try it now after your post. 🙂 I see you’re from Cookeville; I have some really good friends in Gainesboro. Beautiful area.
    Melanie
    Oregon

34. srray
    May 30, 2011 | 12:35 pm

Made 1/3 recipe and cut with 2″ biscuit cutter for easy to eat grilled chicken sandwiches. (boneless chicken breasts, grilled, then sliced thin) I’ll may never buy buns again. My daughter makes the full recipe of buns for her family of six and freezes the baked buns. Delicious when thawed. I like making sour dough bread, using whole wheat flour, to make sandwich rolls. These are much faster!

35. Tonja
    July 25, 2011 | 4:56 pm

I just made these buns, they are delicious. My daughter is begging me for more. We had one fresh from the oven with just butter on it. I rolled them a little thinner then a 1/2” then I folded it in half, then I cut them out. When there were done cooking they pulled apart with no problem. Can’t wait for supper to night. Thank you for the recipe. It is a life saver. From a mom of four and growing.

36. Rachel B
    July 27, 2011 | 11:59 pm

I’ve made these a couple of times, now, and they’re just as awesome as everyone says!! I just have to share how I shaped the hot dog buns. I used the same wide mouth jar to cut them out and then rolled them out into an oval. I made them thinner than I thought they should be (which turned out just right!) then folded them over lengthwise and rolled over the fold a little, too. Let them raise the 1o minutes and baked for 10-15. Perfect! They’re just the right size and will even split just right if you open them carefully. Thanks again for the recipe! I may never buy buns again! 🙂

37. Sara B
    August 12, 2011 | 3:58 pm

Thank you, Thank you!!! This recipe has rocked my world! We don’t have access to grocery stores around here, so when company drops by unannounced I am often in a panic. Now I can just whip up your recipe, while my husband lights the charcoal grill and prepares the hamburgers. We have also started using it for sandwiches when when we have run out of homemade bread loaves.

38. Kelly
    October 12, 2011 | 8:36 pm

Just had these with our BBQ roast sandwiches. My husband said don’t buy anymore buns from the store. These are our new hamburger buns! Yummo! Thank you!

39. MamaK
    January 5, 2012 | 3:26 pm

Oh my! These are delicious! I pinned this recipe awhile ago. I needed something quick for dinner tonight and remembered it. I was low on whole wheat so I used about half all purpose plus some wheat germ and wh wheat pastry flour. My boys and I snacked on some right out of the oven. We will surely be making these again. (I also halved the recipe and used 1 egg. It made 20 buns with the regular canning jar lid.)

40. Kimarie @ The Cardamom's Pod
    January 17, 2012 | 5:28 pm

I use 2 T of instant yeast for these and it works beautifully. Kimberly, I had to share that I use this recipe for bread as well. Sometimes I cut a bit of the oil, but it makes a fantastic loaf that my husband says is as moist as potato bread. So sometimes I make a whole recipe – make a tray of buns, and put the rest into loaf pans. I bake the buns first while the loaves rise, reduce the temp and bake the loaves at 350-375 for about 40 minutes (9×5 loaf).

41. Joleen Ewert
    September 20, 2012 | 10:36 am

Is it really 6 tablespoons of yeast? It seems like it should be 6 teaspoons of yeast. I want to try it but am hesitant to use that much yeast.

42. Teresa in WV
    December 28, 2012 | 6:41 pm

WONDERFUL recipe. I found it an hour ago, made a batch, and served them as scrambled egg sandwiches. THANK YOU!

I think I rolled them on the shy side of 1/2″ so got 40 buns plus 17 cinnamon rolls. Next time, I’ll make them thicker and try for hot dog buns, too.

THANK YOU for sharing this recipe!

43. Teresa in WV
    December 28, 2012 | 7:55 pm

I forgot to add that I used only WW Pastry Flour, instead of bread flour. Since I’ve switched to ww pastry flour, my biscuits and other breads come out much softer & fluffier! I use mostly Bob’s Red Mill, but I’ve bought bulk pastry flour, too, and it works well. HTH

44. Stephanie
    January 10, 2013 | 5:39 pm

Do you find it hard to make bread for your family since it uses so much flour. I was making all bread for y family but have found that it requires so much flour that we would be spending a large punt of money on flour alone and could buy bread cheaper. Do you have any suggestions?

Most of the time we make 100% whole wheat sourdough bread for our family.

We grind our own flour and order our wheat in bulk. We are currently paying a little less than $20 for a 50 pound bag of wheat berries. So it’s less expensive for us to make as opposed to purchase whole wheat bread.

Melissa Wollam Reply:

You are not the first large family to talk about Wheat Berries. How do you find where to buy them. I currently live around the Michigan Indiana border and cant find them in either state. Is their somewhere they can be ordered from?

We always buy them in bulk through a food co-op, but they can also be found at health food stores and in some traditional grocery stores (Saw some at Publix last night and I know that Earth Fare carries them).

Online check out Bread Beckers or Montana Wheat. However, we’ve never ordered online.

45. Melissa Thomas
    April 25, 2013 | 6:12 pm

I made these buns last week and they were a huge success. I did half the recipe (since there are only 5 of us) and we had plenty for hamburgers that night and I used the rest for my husband’s lunch.
    I will not be buying hamburger buns again! Thanks so much for posting this recipe.
    I also plan on taking some of the other suggestions that were given and making hot dog buns, cinnamon rolls, and garlic bread.

46. Jlep
    June 27, 2013 | 12:12 am

I can’t wait to try these! I will suggest, when needed, Trader Joes. TJ’s sells a great Whole wheat hamburger bun. Very “clean” bun, good texture as they don’t fall apart and delicious. My two oldest children also like them.

47. Jo
    October 13, 2013 | 5:05 am

Wow – the rolls I just made from this recipe were so light! Very nice, made a 1/3 quantity and still have enough left for school lunches tomorrow. Rolls are alot sweeter than we are accustomed to (I live in Australia), I will try reducing the sugar and increasing the resting time for the next batch.
    Thanks so much for the recipe 🙂

Ali Reply:

If you make 1/3 quantity of this recipe how many eggs did you use? Thank you!

48. Alex Trodder
    April 18, 2016 | 3:56 pm

One thing that I’ve found that can help is using a kaiser bun recipe. They incorporate eggs into the recipe, just like yours, which adds protein to help act as a binding agent to keep things from crumbling. I’ll have to keep your recipe in mind for the future to try, though. I like trying to add more whole grains to my diet and recipes.