Seed Beaded Bobby Pins – tutorial

With seven girls in the house we fix a lot of hair and the newest rage in our home are these decorated bobby pins. They work great for all the girls big and little alike and are quite versatile. Amber is our resident artist and has come up with some lovely creations.

To decorate one basic bobby pin you will need:

• A small (standard size) bobby pin
  • 25-28 seed beads
  • 18-20 inches of 28 gauge wire
  • fingernail clippers

1. Hold the bobby pin with the straight side up, opening toward your body. Place the center of the wire on top of the bobby pin near the bend and hold there with your thumb.

2. Grasp the wire to the right of the bobby pin and slide it through the rubber tips and up to the bend in the bobby pin. Continue to wrap up and over the bobby pin so that it ends up back on the right again.

3. Now repeat with the wire on the left side, pulling it through the rubber tips and tight up to the bend in the bobby pin up and over the top of the bobby pin so that it ends up back on the left.

4. Clip the ends of your wire so that they are even. (They should be 9-10″ each.)

5. Thread a bead onto both wires and pull it up tightly to the bend in the bobby pin. Pull one wire to the right of the bobby pin and through the rubber tips. Pull the other wire to the left of the bobby pin and through the rubber tips. Be sure to pull the wire tightly against the bead to secure it. (You will be wrapping around the flat side only.)

6. Continue threading beads and wrapping until you get to the rubber tip of the flat side of the bobby pin.

7. Wrap each wire around the bobby pin tightly several times to secure. Poke the ends of the wires back into the hole in the last bead to hide them. If your bead is too small to poke the wire ends through again, wrap the wire around the bobby pin between the last and next to last bead instead of at the end. It will keep the ends of the wire from poking you.

The varieties are endless. My favorites remain the dragonflies.

For more ideas including how to make your own chalkboard paint check out my Tutorial page.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest1,387Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter1

20 Responses to Seed Beaded Bobby Pins – tutorial
  1. teachermomof2
    February 21, 2009 | 1:03 am

Very pretty! I love the dragonflies too. I’ll definitely have to put this on my gift idea list for the precious girls in our life.

Blessings,
    Lisa

2. Jules
    February 21, 2009 | 2:04 am

Very creative! Thanks for sharing. :o) If I can figure it out, I may try it sometime.

3. Belinda
    February 21, 2009 | 2:50 am

I don’t have kids, but these are so cute. Look at the little dragonfly eyes! :-)

4. Kathy
    February 21, 2009 | 4:52 am

How cute are those! Darling little girls to wear them too.
    Kathy

5. playsdolls
    February 21, 2009 | 7:54 am

These are so darling,I bet your girls enjoy making and wearing these wonderful little works of art.

6. Linda C
    February 21, 2009 | 3:50 pm

Very creative and pretty! I am going to pass this craft on for my 17 yr. old crafty daughter to see. I bet she will want to try:)

Thanks for sharing how to do it:)

Linda C

7. Lisa Ann
    February 21, 2009 | 4:57 pm

Beauitful and so unique.

8. Susie Homemaker
    February 23, 2009 | 3:08 am

These are so cute…I plan to show this to my #1 Grand…she will love making these.
    Thanks for sharing.

By the way, your family is beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Susie

9. mountainmoma
    February 23, 2009 | 4:19 am

So sweet!

10. Works for Me! « Undivided Heart
    July 9, 2009 | 1:22 pm

[…] Raising Olives that I have been enjoying immensely. It is here that I found the instructions on how to make darling little seeded bobby pins for my daughters (mine are pretty plain~not nearly as fancy as the ones she pictures~ but still […]

11. Estelle Smith
    October 11, 2009 | 8:38 am

Wow! I take my hat off to you. Nine kids, and not an ugly one in sight! You are so blessed. They are beautiful! I am from Pretoria, South Africa, and I would like to know how you do it. What’s your budget stretching tips? I can’t believe one man can support such a big family in South Africa. But you do stay in America, where everything is bigger and better, is it not? You are an inspiration to all women. May God keep on blessing you and your family.
    Regards,
    Estelle Smith

Raising Olives Reply:

Estelle – Thanks. I have posted several of our money saving tips under the saving money category. I hope to post more in the future. Thank you again!

Blessings,
    Kimberly

12. Jill
    November 21, 2009 | 12:27 am

If Amber makes anymore of these, would she mind taking pics along the way. I just can’t wrap my brain around the instructions on how to wrap the wire around the bobby pin! LOL!

We tried taking pictures at the time, but couldn’t get them to turn out. We may try again and if we’re successful I’ll let you know.

13. […] more tutorials including beaded bobby pins , a fancy ponytail,  hand-dyed playsilks and more visit my tutorial page. Like this? Share it […]

14. Stephanie
    November 3, 2010 | 10:07 am

Those are so cute. With 2 little girls and another baby girl on the way I could definatley see a need for these.

I am terrible at following written directions, can chance you could do a video tutorial?

Rebecca L. Reply:

I agree, I can’t wrap my head around the directions either but I know at least 2 of my daughters that would love to wear these and 1 that would love to make them. I think I am a a visual learner…would love to see a video too!!

15. […] Beaded bobby pins – These bobby pins are inexpensive to make and are sweet to clip to a card or gift tag to add a personal touch to a larger gift. […]

16. Sally Ann
    October 26, 2011 | 2:24 pm

I have a book with these in it, but I can’t find it, so now maybe I can make them without the book!! thanks.

17. Ruth Adams
    December 6, 2012 | 10:28 pm

My oldest would LOVE making some of these. Thanks for sharing!