Dutch Puff Recipe

This breakfast recipe is one of our favorites and has stayed on our menu plan through several revisions. It is fast, easy and filling. It is also fun to serve for company as it dresses up nicely when you add some pretty, fresh fruit topping.

Dutch Puff

1 stick butter
8 eggs
2 cups milk
2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 400. Put the stick of butter in a 9×13 pan and place in the oven to melt while you prepare the puff.

Beat eggs, milk and flour until smooth and then another minute. Remove pan from oven and pour mixture into the melted butter. Bake for 20 minutes more.

When you get the puff out of the oven it will be golden and puffed, lovely. Serve immediately. If you wait it will deflate.

Top with molasses, honey, fresh fruit, or maple syrup. My children have even topped it with yogurt, but they may just be weird.

For a special change try making individual servings of dutch puff in oven safe ramekins. Again this is fun for company. You can prepare ahead of time and then pop them in the oven as each person wakes.

Share on Facebook37Pin on Pinterest16Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

23 Responses to Dutch Puff Recipe
  1. Anita
    March 13, 2009 | 1:40 pm

I love to serve this with slightly sweetened pureed strawberries and slightly sweetened cream cheese. Very delicious… and this reveals my slightly sweet addiction!!

2. Nikki
    March 13, 2009 | 8:11 pm

This sounds just like Yorkshire Pudding. But we eat it with savory things like roast beef and gravy. YUM! I can’t wait to try it with fresh fruit!

3. Raising Olives
    March 14, 2009 | 2:33 am

Anita,

Cream cheese and strawberries sounds delish.

Nikki,

With roast beef and gravy? Really? I never though of using it as a side dish for dinner. I will have to consider that. It sure would be quick, easy, and filling. Three things that are important in our house.

Blessings,
    Kimberly

Brittany Reply:

Yorkshire pudding is almost the same: 1cup flour, 1 cup milk, 2 eggs and dash of salt. You pour it into a hot pan of beef drippings and bake until puffy. Then serve with roast and gravy. If you ever heard of popovers it is a big savory popover. Individual popovers are great with honey butter drizzled inside. Poke a hole to let the steam escape and keep them from deflating. ๐Ÿ™‚ I look forward to trying this version as breakfast.

4. Dee Dee
    July 22, 2009 | 12:36 am

We add the melted butter to pastry mix, and dollop it out by spoonfuls on a baking sheet. Pop the tops open while warm, and stuff with chicken salad when cool. Yummy!

Raising Olives Reply:

Dee Dee,

I had not thought of that, but it sounds like it would be a wonderful, quick lunch, especially when we are slow with making bread!

Vicki Reply:

What time and temp? About how big puff lumps?
    Sounds yummy!

5. Lesley
    October 22, 2009 | 5:03 pm

I am so glad i found you. i am enjoying your recipes, ( btw, yummy)and find your blog refreshing and funny, and i look forward to each post. thank you.

6. Becky
    October 25, 2009 | 2:22 pm

We like to add sliced apples with the butter in the bottom of the pan before adding the other ingredients. It is also great topped with syrup, chunky applesauce and sliced almonds….mmmm.

7. Shannon
    April 2, 2010 | 8:36 pm

I always made this with peaches on the bottom. I think I will try this with cream cheese and strawberries, sounds yummy!

8. Sarah Lee
    May 27, 2010 | 5:43 pm

Will this recipe work with whole wheat pastry flour?

Yes, it’s just a little more heavy, but still very nice.

9. Rachel
    August 2, 2010 | 8:47 pm

This is similar to something we do called puffy pancakes – but there is no butter. We use 6 eggs, 1 c flour (I use ww), 1 c milk and dash of vanilla. I bake in a 9×13 pan for 16 minutes. We top with a nut butter (almond or peanut) and maple syrup. It puffs upon taking it ouf of the oven, but will flatten out after cooling.

10. Darcy
    September 5, 2010 | 7:59 pm

We have done this ever since we found the recipe in our MOMYS cookbook. They call it a Dutch Baby and the recipe says you can sprinkle brown sugar in the melted butter before adding the egg mixture. When it is done you cut it and flip it over and the butter and brown sugar have made a syrup already. My kiddoes LOVE this! ๐Ÿ™‚

I had never thought about adding brown sugar with the butter. Thanks for the tip, my children will be very grateful!

11. Mrs. O
    September 26, 2010 | 10:07 am

Just made this today and it was delicious. I served it with a little bit of syrup and then sprinkled with powered sugar. Huge hit with the kids, I don’t have a lot of recipes that are that quick and easy, thanks for sharing!

12. Jessica Hilliker
    October 14, 2010 | 2:45 pm

sounds so yummy! thanks for the recipes! (I had to laugh when you mentioned your children topping the puffs with yougurt…my two boys LOVE yogurt and eat it multiple times a day–and yes, we’re probably just weird, too ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Jen Henderson
    October 24, 2010 | 10:05 pm

Just found your blog, and am enjoying it immensely. Thank you for sharing this recipe. We’ve been making Dutch Baby for over ten years, but I lost my recipe a few years ago, and got all mixed up over quantities/proportions. I’ve been experimenting with the MANY variations of this to be found on the web, subbing in fresh whole wheat flour, with only limited success. I like that yours is a larger quantity than most, and I’m glad to hear that it can still work in one pan. (Most use an 8-10 inch cast iron pan, with something like your recipe halved.) I have only three kids, but my family sure can put away this dish! I’ve been making two at a time, three or four for company. I look forward to trying yours soon.

14. Heatherlee
    January 23, 2011 | 3:59 pm

This is dinner tonight. I was planning pancakes but a certain child had to use baking powder for science experiments. This looks great, cheap, and much easier than pancakes!

15. Donna
    January 29, 2011 | 9:01 am

How many should this serve?

It makes a 9 x 13. How many it serves will vary greatly depending upon what you serve with it.

16. Dana
    May 16, 2011 | 6:57 pm

I had a friend who used to make this, and then top it with egg nog and pomegranate seeds. Sounds weird, but is incredibly delicious ๐Ÿ™‚

I also like making hot peach compote – pour a can of peaches into a pot, add a little bit of brown sugar (or maple syrup), water, and some cinnamon and nutmeg, and boil it until the syrup is thick.

17. Heidi
    July 14, 2012 | 12:00 pm

Just found your blog! Tried this Dutch Puff this morning for my little ones and all five of them devoured it! So glad to have found a quick, easy, and filling breakfast that they all enjoy (no small thing with my picky eaters!). Thanks for the help, Kimberly! Keep up the good advice and inspiration ~