No Shampoo-Week 1

This week in a nut shell? I made a special trip to the store on Wednesday to purchase a head scarf and a boar bristle brush. Any questions?

hair week 1

Here some details, the top part of my hair has been a bit oily (yuck) since the beginning of this week. I figured the head scarf should cover most of that problem and I read that the boar bristle brush will help “distribute the oil more evenly through hair, boosting shine”. More shine sounds good, who doesn’t want more shine?

The curly girl method says to only brush your hair with your fingers . So the brush was against the rules, but it was time to do something. I brushed my hair, A LOT, before bed. I noticed a huge improvement in the amount of oil and the shine was definitely boosted. ๐Ÿ™‚ I continued to brush my hair each evening this week , however, I am now having problems with frizz again and my curls are not as nicely defined. Can you tell? How about in this picture?hair week 1 CU

Yep see that frizz? Yikes, no more boar brushing for me. Honestly my hair looks OK. I wore it down to church this morning and no one asked why my hair looked gross. I even had someone tell me they liked my curls, but they read my blog so they had the inside scoop or maybe they just feel sorry for me. I did use the head scarf for church this evening, but that was more because of the frizz factor.

A blog reader asked for a picture of my hair before going no shampoo in order to compare, ta da!:hair before no shampooSee? Wave but not really curl.

She also asked for a greasy picture. Do you think that I have no shame? Well, I have posted some very honest things. No, I’m not going to link to them again, I do have some dignity. (Pssst, look at the Not Me Monday category.)ย  Seriously though, the above pictures are the best that I have. I’ve got to say that the oil has not really been bad enough to see on film just bothersome to me, but I have a long way to go, so stay tuned. We may get some good bad photos yet.

Follow my “no shampoo” journey:
Why I began
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4 – 5 1/2

Not interested in the saga of my hair? Check out these ideas on Bible memorization or laundry management or just browse through my categories at the top of the page.

Did you know that you can also browse by tag? Check out the green tag cloud in my right sidebar to read my posts about Erb’s Palsy, lessons that God is teaching me and more.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest3Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

14 Responses to No Shampoo-Week 1
  1. Mama Bear
    April 13, 2009 | 10:15 am

I have heard and read a lot about this lately. I am still not brave enough to try it myself. My hair seems to get very greasy after a few days of no shampoo. Is this problem supposed to get better after a period of time?

2. Pure Mommy Extract
    April 13, 2009 | 11:20 am

How did you get me considering not shampooing my hair!? Crazy stuff. My little girl is much more curly than myself and I am going to start with her, but my wavy hair (your “wavy” is still curly on the ends…) makes me a little more nervous. We’ll see.

3. Jamie
    April 13, 2009 | 1:18 pm

I wish I was brave enough to do this!!! Maybe I’ll try it after the baby is born… since I won’t go anywhere for awhile during that time anyway!

4. Smockity Frocks
    April 13, 2009 | 4:50 pm

One thing I now do is brush THEN spritz with a water/conditioner/gel concoction I made up THEN scrunch. The spritzing takes care of the frizzies.

5. Kimberly
    April 13, 2009 | 4:58 pm

Mama Bear,
    My hair gets greasy too and yes, that is supposed to get much better. I linked to an interesting article in my first post on this. It explains it better than I can. Come on, the more the merrier.

Pure Mommy Extract,
    Oh sure, you’ll experiment on your poor, innocent daughter. lol All of our girls are trying it too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jamie,
    Come on girl, you can do it! I’m not sure that courage is what it takes. Maybe it’s like Pure Mom says a bit of crazy.

6. Kristin
    April 13, 2009 | 4:59 pm

I think the curls look great and the “frizz factor” will go away. If my vote counts for anything – keep going it will be worth it!!

7. Kimberly
    April 13, 2009 | 5:04 pm

Kristin and Connie,

We must have all been commenting at the same time.

Connie,
    Do you have the book? Is it worth purchasing? Would you mind sharing your concoction recipe?

Kristin,
    Thanks for the encouragement. Do you “no shampoo”?

8. Smockity Frocks
    April 13, 2009 | 7:25 pm

I do have the book and I think it is worth buying.

My spritz is about 80% water, 10% conditioner, 10% hair gel. I put a drop or two of lavender essential oil for fragrance and shake well.

I had experimented with a spritz that had avacado oil, but it does give a greasy look that I wasn’t happy with.

9. Smockity Frocks
    April 13, 2009 | 7:27 pm

P.S. I ordered the “plop” towel you linked to. I had never seen that product or process and am excited to try it.

10. Roan
    April 13, 2009 | 10:07 pm

Ok, this has me curious! A friend of mine who doesn’t live nearby has gone no shampoo too. She also has naturally curly hair. She has had great success….but I have not seen her hair or photos of her hair. I have straight, fine hair. I need to check into the links you provided…I am not sure I understand the benefit of no shampoo! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks for being so brave! Your hair still looks great in the photos!
    I’ll let you know about the moon sand. I haven’t tried it out yet. Clay played with it on the vinyl tablecloth for a little while…..I did not see any mess.
    Have a great day!
    Joyfully,
    Roan

11. a mom serving her 2 kids
    April 14, 2009 | 9:57 pm

My hair is naturally straight-totally straight, no curl, no body. This would be horrible for me! Not to mention all of the hair product that goes into my hair daily. I would be really oily on day 2! ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Jessi
    April 19, 2009 | 10:30 pm

I have been using the “curly girl” method for 2-3 years now and it made all the difference in my hair. I use the Paul Mitchell Extra Moisture Daily Treatment when I condition my hair and Kenra 17 gel (Kenra 14 is NOT the same thing…). I only use conditioner every 3 days or so and the rest of the time I just scrunch it up with wet hands while in the shower…without wetting all of my hair. To dry your hair, just scrunch it up in the towel, don’t wrap it or it pulls out the curl. Skip the brush completely. Really…that is what makes the frizz. If God blessed you with curls, it’s so great to enjoy them! :o) Hope those tips help.

13. Jessi
    April 19, 2009 | 10:33 pm

Oooops, it’s Paul Mitchell INSTANT Moisture Daily Treatment for conditioner.

14. V. Portier
    March 4, 2013 | 2:20 am

My hair is fine and has some body, and is thinning. I go a couple of days with out washing, which I like. It doesn’t seem to get oily ,but I noticed my scalp gets itchy and if I scratch it makes sores. What do you do in that case?