Going No Shampoo

Did I tell you I quit? Yep, I quit using shampoo a little over two weeks ago. Well, I had quit until the going got a little lot tough and I shampooed my hair again (gasp). But I am determined to try again thanks to KimC’s (Life in a Shoe) success and this time I have the determination to tough it out.

Right about now you are probably wondering why anyone would want do such a thing. Well, I’m not alone. This article explains some of the logic behind going “no shampoo” or “no poo” if you are really into the lingo. For those of you who don’t go read the article, here is a graphic and synopsis of the results of their 6 Week “No Shampoo Challenge”:

no-shampoo-challenge

For the thin haired —- it gave more weight and body.

For those with dry scalp, psoriasis or dandruff —- unequivocally, these problems went away, even for those who had used expensive treatments for years unsuccessfully!

For the curly haired —- it made the curl more defined and less frizzy.

For those with fine hair —- became easier to work with, felt thicker from the natural distribution of oil and didn’t need products to give them more body.

So, I am hoping for healthier more manageable hair.

My hair has just enough wave so that it will not hang nicely, but not enough to wear curly and it tends to be a bit frizzy and flyaway especially after washing. So, I started out trying the curly girl method hoping that things would change. After a few days I was pretty happy with the results. My hair was dramatically more curly and looked nice with almost no work. Just a shower and a plop and my hair looked like this.

hair

This picture was taken after not using shampoo for nearly 2 weeks. However, at the beginning of the third week, my hair was getting a little um, oily. I decided to cheat, just a little. I used a small amount of shampoo being careful to not get it on my scalp. I was immediately sorry. My hair is back to it’s old dry, frizzy, not-hanging-nicely habits.

So here we go again. No more cheating. I’m committing for 6 weeks. I will keep you updated.

Is anyone brave enough to join me or are you just going to watch me and laugh?

Here is a basic step-by-step method and here is the curly girl process.

Here is a picture of what my hair normally looks like using shampoo.hair before no shampoo

Nicer hair and spending less money on shampoo works for me.

Read the updates:
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4 – 5 1/2

You may also be interested in reading my posts about laundry management, scheduling, or Bible memorization for kids.

Share on Facebook32Pin on Pinterest88Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

26 Responses to Going No Shampoo
  1. Kimarie
    April 8, 2009 | 10:47 am

OK – I’ll join you! I’ve been watching the progress at Life in a Shoe, and it piqued my curiosity. I have very long hair and I don’t shampoo excessively – usually once or twice a week. But I’ve been beginning to get dandruff, and since I have dark brown hair, um, it’s noticeable! The interesting thing is that from time to time when life has just been hectic, I’ve gone LONGER than a week without shampooing – and I would notice that my hair would start to look less oily for some reason. Thanks for the challenge!

2. Joy
    April 8, 2009 | 3:21 pm

Wow, this sounds interesting! My hair has been driving me crazy lately. I have wavy hair (not as curly as yours) and it gets FRIZZY! I am going to go read the article. Thanks!

3. Kim
    April 8, 2009 | 10:42 pm

I have a terrible time with my scalp! I think I will try this! Thank you for your input on my quilt squares! :0)

4. Smockity Frocks
    April 9, 2009 | 11:46 pm

Your curls are gorgeous! I do the Curly Girl method and haven’t used shampoo in over 2 yrs.

5. Michelle
    April 10, 2009 | 10:02 am

I’m not ready yet, but I’ve been keeping up with Kim’s journey. Can we get a pic of your hair before the no shampoo journey? And one during the grease fest? And one after. Your hair looks great in the pic. Does it usually look so nice?

6. Kimberly
    April 11, 2009 | 6:46 am

By popular demand, pictures of my hair before “no shampoo” are coming and I will try to get one of the yuckies.

Thanks for the responses. I’m looking forward to hearing updates from you as we go through this together.

Smockity,
    Are you still happy with your hair after 2 years? Do you EVER use shampoo?

Michelle,
    No, my hair does not usually look so nice. I have to spend time curling, putting it in hot rollers or straightening it to get results that I like. I will try to get a picture.

7. Smockity Frocks
    April 11, 2009 | 9:18 pm

I never use shampoo. I would love it if my hair was as curly all over as it is underneath in the back. It looks best when I scrunch and dry with a diffuser and a little gel.

8. Angela
    April 20, 2009 | 11:27 pm

Hmm… you know what.. I think I might try this on both me and sissy. I know when I go several days without washing her hair, (just rinsing and conditioning it) it looks curlier and softer. Realllly makes me wonder. I am going to use up the weeks worth of shampoo that I have left.. and get back to you on taking the challange. It would definantly save a mint.
    –A

9. angelia
    May 2, 2009 | 7:28 pm

hello sister kim, i have been no shampoo since i first read about it on your site-m not sure, but i think i left you a comment then?-my son was in the hospital for 3 days and when my daughter brought me some things from home, she brought shampoo instead of baking soda and vinegar. thats the only time in about 5 weeks? i think. my hair is short, thin and fine with no elasticity, and since going no shampoo, i look like i have hair!! it feels a little oily when i touch it, but other than that, i love it-when i run my fingers through it, it even feels thicker. i hope it is still going as good for you! much love, angelia

Kimberly Reply:

Angelia,
    I’m glad that you are having success. This week has been better for me. I will be posting about it the beginning of next week sometime. Thanks for the link.

10. angelia
    May 2, 2009 | 7:29 pm

i also meantnt to share this link with you-http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/blogs/nontoxic/natural-shampoo-recipe-460409. i cant help but wonder what our ancestors used before shampoo.

11. Kris @ Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers
    August 18, 2009 | 11:58 pm

Okay, that’s really interesting. Your hair looks much healthier without shampoo. I used to wash my hair every day, but I now usually just wash it every other day and I’ve found that it looks better and is more manageable on the days I don’t wash it. This might be really good for my daughter who either has dandruff of psoriasis (we haven’t decided for sure).

So, maybe this is a dumb question and it might not matter either way, but do you still wet your hair regularly, just not wash it with shampoo? I watched the steps, but it really didn’t say what to do after you got through that initial phase.

My youngest daughter wastes so much shampoo, I wouldn’t mind giving it up. I’ll join you!

12. Kris @ Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers
    August 19, 2009 | 12:04 am

Never mind. I went back and read all the weeks and saw that you are rinsing/scrubbing. I’m so trying that!

Raising Olives Reply:

Kris,

Please let me know how this goes for you!!

13. Jennie
    August 19, 2009 | 10:20 am

Ok, you’ve really got me thinking about doing this! I have really awesome hair, not bragging – I was born with it ;) but lately it’s been really dry and my scalp has been flaking a bit. I actually can’t wash it every day or it turns to hay and falls out, but after 3 days it does start getting oily. I know you’re scrubbing it, but do you (or hubby) notice any smell? I’m in the kitchen a lot (what mom isn’t?) and I can usually smell our dinner in my hair later. And I’m so curious about when you went camping! No campfire hair?

Raising Olives Reply:

Jennie,

No smelly hair issues. :) I’d love to hear how this works out for you.

14. Jenny
    August 22, 2009 | 2:26 am

o.o i don’t get it.

15. cwaltz
    November 7, 2009 | 8:53 am

If your hair gets too oily you can put some baking soda in it to absorb the oil to get you over the hump(you’ll only need a little bit). After you get over that hump I’ve found cider vinegar does the trick for rinses with a monthly egg, honey and almond oil treatment to combat any dryness( I haven’t had any problems with oil once I got over the hump and now that I am getting older have found my hair is more coarse and requires some conditioning.)

Raising Olives Reply:

Thanks, I did end up using some baking soda, didn’t realize that vinegar would be good for maintenance.

16. Shannon
    October 5, 2010 | 11:11 am

Hi Kimberly, I was wondering if you are still not using shampoo and how it is working out. I keep thinking I am going to try this, but I am scared! LOL

I began using shampoo again at my hubby’s request. He prefers my hair non-curly and LOVES it when I straighten it, so this wasn’t a good fit for him.

After the first couple of months my hair looked (and felt) great, but getting through that time was challenging. I would love to continue not using shampoo, but I love my husband more than that. :)

17. Miakaye
    October 14, 2010 | 10:33 pm

So, did you ever try to straighten your hair under the no-poo method? I would love to try this, but my husband also loves straight hair. However, since adding a third child, I need a low maintenance style for a while. Any feedback on straightening would be great!

18. Faith
    February 25, 2011 | 1:39 pm

I am on week 1 of no shampoo and blogging about it as well. I am so excited to find your story as well as your resources! Do you mind if I post a link to your page on mine?

I don’t mind at all, thank you.

19. Chantal
    September 6, 2012 | 10:59 am

I have a question for you: I have short hair and I use lots of product to keep it high and mighty. Will the no poo idea work for me?? I have serious itchy scalp issues…

20. Rachelle
    January 7, 2013 | 1:55 pm

I thought I might clear the confusion: you cannot have stinky hair if youre washing it with conditioner lol! It smells like delish conditioner :D

I’ve JUST, for the first time thanks to this blog, tried not washing my hair with shampoo… and I will never ever touch that stuff again!

I washed my 1)waist length 2) thick 3)oily at the scalp, as in gross have to wash it daily! 4)frizzy all the length down hair WITH CONDITIONER ONLY! Oh the JOY of soft, full hair! Who knew? Specifically Sauve Damage Control is what I used because my mom happen to give me a leftover bottle.

I did not do the whole curly hair girl routine. I washed it vigorously cause I have a lot of oil around my head/scalp and worked the conditioner down the whole length of my hair as well. AMAZING! Try it, you’ll see :)

I was curious as to why RaisingOlives started using shampoo when your husband requested it, instead of simply ditching the curly hair part? Could he have meant that he simply wants your hair soft and smooth as opposed to curly? Cause I blowdried my hair and it is much better than if I ever used shampoo.

Side note: Im a licensed hairdresser since I was 19 and I am currently 31 so I have used IT ALL, the best of the best and nothing has had results like this forgoing shampoo altogether!

I actually prayed about my hair situation! (Yes God cares that much!) In my new quest for Biblical submission to my husband (I just learned about this!! thank you God for grace from my husband all these years.) I asked him how he would like my hair, if I did not complain or give my opinion about whatever he said :) That I would simply do with it whatever he asked and do it CHEERFULLY!

I thought that I would be doing this as a daily sacrifice forever because he requested waist length hair, to the top of my rear… not just the middle of my back… just so I do not sit on it! So I guess it is hip length then to be more accurate?

So I found myself struggling with the frizz, being cold with it wet cause it takes SO long to blowdry… or if I put it up, it would not dry, no not even over night… so I prayed. About a week or 2 later I found this blog :) I actually poured through the whole thing mostly! (Thank you RaisingOlives for your blog!!) Then God answered my prayer through an aptly named post “No poo!” He is sooooo good!

Praise God. My hair isnt tangly, poufy out of control crazy, difficult to style hot mess. My prayer has been answered!