“Not Me!” Monday: Bulk Cooking

At our bulk cook day, where we cook for 5 families I did not carelessly read the recipe for chicken enchiladas and use the 5 lb. of cheese designated for the meat loaf on the chicken enchiladas by mistake, affecting not only 10 recipes of enchiladas, but also 10 recipes of meat loaf. Nope, I always read a recipe thoroughly especially when I am cooking in such huge quantities.

Kimberly dishing enchiladasI did not spend more than an hour cooking and stirring a white sauce in a gigantic pot waiting for the cheese to melt, only to decide that it was good enough and begin dividing it into 10 casserole dishes.

As I was scooping out huge lumps and clumps of cheese (at least it was the cheese that the recipe actually called for) I did not change my mind and decide that it wasn’t melted enough.

Then in a desperate attempt to salvage the sauce I did not decide to wait for it to cool, chop up the clumps of cheese, dump them back in the sauce and call it a day.

If I had tried such a last ditch effort, I would have at least done the waiting, chopping and dumping myself and not given the responsibility to my 12 year old. If the recipe does not turn out, I will most certainly not blame the 12 year old.

One of my children did not trip while carrying a 20 pound bag of browned ground beef and drop it down the stairs. The bag did not pop open at the top of the stairs and spill ground beef all the way down  and into a large pile at the bottom  where the smaller children were playing. The children did not bring the dog in from outside to enjoy the unexpected bounty. It was not my child that dropped that much ground beef. I’m sure she belonged to someone else or at least she does now. ;)

You can read my other Not Me Monday posts or check my categories for other items of interest. Oh and leave a comment if you want to make me smile!

Share on Facebook2Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

11 Responses to “Not Me!” Monday: Bulk Cooking
  1. Anita Chamblee
    April 6, 2009 | 8:01 am

We had a similar experience with a gallon bag of taco soup dropped on a friend’s dining room rug where we were cooking for the day. It was the friend’s oldest daughter who did the dropping.. : ) Thankfully, we were able to clean it up throroughly.

did you come home with ANY food?

2. MemeGRL
    April 6, 2009 | 9:20 am

I love this. And I’m totally impressed with the bulk cooking days. And I’m laughing because what I need is a bulk *cleaning* day! :) I guess it’s the home equivalent of the chestnut my husband jokes about at work: “on time/high quality/under budget: pick two!” Clean house/different meals/something else!
    Have a blessed week!

3. Jamie
    April 6, 2009 | 9:48 am

I am impressed with all the chopping to be honest… I was the child with the most emergency room trips in my family. We are in the midst of preparing for our very large family Passover this week and the number one kitchen rule is: don’t let Jamie near any knives! Seriously, I’m impressed.
    The idea of bulk cooking sounds wonderful in many ways, but I would need a new freezer… oh well.

Kimberly Reply:

Anita,
    We did end up with lots of food 49 meals I think. I’m glad it wasn’t soup! We just decreased the ground beef in all the recipes by a bit. I am still planning on posting more details and pictures. Keep reading this comment.

MemeGRL,
    Bulk cleaning in progress today here at our home, hence no more details or pictures of bulk cook day. You may wonder why I’m on the computer right now. It’s because I don’t want to face my scary bedroom! I already did some drawing, maybe I should read a book next.

Jamie,
    You make me laugh.

4. Sofie Bell
    April 6, 2009 | 4:28 pm

Kimberly, You make my side hurt from laughing. OK, let see if I can add to yours…..hmmm…Ok, If you recall last time we cooked I did NOT mistakenly put all the frozen corn into the tamale pie instead of the Tortilla Pie(which turned out to be a good thing, yum!)and I did NOT have to then make everyone wait till I ran down to the Dollar Gen Store for more Corn, and I did NOT give the very slow woman in front of me, who couldn’t decide if she wanted to go back and get another Tupperware item, a “hurry up” grumpy look. Also,I did NOT go above the speed limit to get back.
    And this cook time I did NOT say to my husband “Oh, just leave the frozen bags of vegetables in the box in the garage, they’ll be fine” only to NOT have my husband have to clean up two bags of chewed and scattered peas. Finally, I did NOT deserve the “I told you so” look he gave me(Oh yes I did :) )
    Sofie

5. Kimarie
    April 6, 2009 | 11:04 pm

LOL What a day! I was thinking of you all day Saturday… I’m dreaming of bulk cooking. I’m looking forward to the details – I noticed the containers and ziplocs…

As for my Monday – I did NOT miss my second alarm and sleep until 6:30am. I did NOT make 68 pancakes (the children did NOT count them) planning to start my wonderful bulk cooking bit by bit, making breakfast 1/2 hour late. I was perfectly organized all day and did NOT use the rest of the pancakes for lunch. I do NOT know if there are only 8 left in the fridge (I think one has a bite out of it).

6. abby
    April 17, 2009 | 1:25 pm

that is sooooo cool!!! how do you cook all those meals?

Kimberly Reply:

I am hoping to post some more of the details sometime. We do much of the planning on the computer and then tweak as we go.

7. Angela
    April 21, 2009 | 6:27 pm

I can not wait til we get a new freezer, and can join you all on the mass cooking excursions. THey sound like loads of fun, and D and I both LOVE to cook. (He is actually better than I am by far… and I am not too shabby.) DO you plan to do any mass gardening this summer to cover some of the ingredients?

8. Gabriele
    January 26, 2011 | 11:44 am

Oh my goodness. I can’t even tell you how much I admire you! I think this is a fabulous dea, (even if sometimes you have some spills!) I wish I knew people in my area who would be up for this!

9. Jess
    April 3, 2013 | 2:50 pm

O this made me laugh.. Till my eyes watered and everything.. Lol