Granola Bar Recipe

This recipe for homemade granola bars has become a staple in our house.  It is quick, easy, versatile and delicious, what more could you possibly ask for? These are excellent to make up and take for a hearty on-the-go snack or for a fun addition to lunch.  You can add almost anything you want for interesting variety.

used with permission Special thanks to tim2buildahome

Granola Bar Recipe

• 2 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup raisins (optional)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Mix together first 7 ingredients, then make a well in the center and add the honey, beaten egg, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix well. Pat the mixture evenly into the baking dish.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are beginning to turn golden. Cool for 5 minutes and then cut into bars and remove from dish WHILE STILL WARM. Well unless you want to chip it out and use the crumbled pieces for ice cream topping. In that case, just let it cool as long as you wish.

Some substitutions: Olive or peanut oil rather than coconut oil. Regular flour. I have omitted the wheat germ when we were out. Add any dried fruit, coconut shavings, sunflower seeds, nuts or even chocolate chips and skip the raisins or not. We haven’t been able to mess this recipe up.

Share on Facebook43Pin on Pinterest378Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter3

36 Responses to Granola Bar Recipe
  1. Gretchen
    May 16, 2009 | 2:38 pm

Thank you for posting this. I am going to try it this coming week because I think I have all of the ingredients.

2. Sasha
    May 17, 2009 | 7:41 am

Sounds yummy – and easy recipes are good recipes!

3. Lisa
    May 17, 2009 | 11:36 am

Do you have to use coconut oil? I have some but would like to have the option of using some other oil too. Just wondered if you have ever tried any other. I’ve been looking for a granola bar recipe, thanks. (Am I an official “Olive Junkie” now?)

Raising Olives Reply:

Sasha,
    Unless my 12 year old is making it, you will only find easy recipes here. Cooking is not my talent so I agree, easy recipes are good recipes!

Lisa,
    Coconut oil is not necessary. I was going to mention some of the substitutions that I have made in the post, but completely forgot. I have used Olive oil and peanut oil in place of the coconut oil. I’m sure that regular vegetable oil would also work. I also had a friend tell me she substituted apple sauce for the oil and that worked for her. I have edited the post to include this info.

I think that you have finally earned the title “Olive Junkie”. Good work!

Blessings,
    Kimberly

4. Angelia
    May 25, 2009 | 12:44 am

hello sister, i ust wanted to let you know that i hared this recipe on twitter, along with one of your postings on homeschooling. i hope you have a good day! much love, angelia

5. Multi-Tasking Mommy
    May 26, 2009 | 10:01 pm

I feel like this is a silly question, but when you say “whole wheat”, do you mean whole wheat flour?
    Please email me your answer:
    circleoflifeblog at gmail dot com

Raising Olives Reply:

Multi-Tasking mommy,

Yes, I meant flour. I changed it in the recipe and emailed you too. :)

Thanks for clarifying.

Blessings,
    Kimberly

6. Laurel
    May 27, 2009 | 11:39 am

Sounds GREAT! We are definitely going to try this recipe.

mama of 13

7. Joy Rickner
    July 11, 2009 | 4:01 pm

Hi!
    A friend sent me this recipe and I am sooo excited to try it. I am gluten intolerant, so I will have to tweak it and take out the wheat. If it works out, which I’m sure it will, I will let you know.
    I am also excited to look over the rest of your website. As a stay at home mom and a new foster parent, your site looks like it will be a great resource. Thanks for all the hard work you put into it. God Bless!
    Joy

amy Reply:

We are gluten-free here too and this recipe has become a weekly staple. Here’s how we substitute:
    2 cups gluten-free oats
    3/4 cup sucanat
    1/4 cup ground flax seed
    1/4 cup unsw shredded coconut
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
    3/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 cup raw honey
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Follow everything else, but then we only bake them 28-30 minutes for chewy bars. The best gluten-free baked good you can find. :) Thanks, Kimberly!

8. Allison
    July 15, 2009 | 9:39 pm

This is a wonderful recipe! I had just made almond milk and was wanting a use for the byproduct, “almond pulp”. This was my answer. The bars were gone in no time! Everyone loved them, including my texture-sensitive (“ewww nuts”) daughter. My helper has never cooked with whole grains, wheat germ or coconut oil but took all three home b/c she wanted to make some JUST like mine. I’m trying a “soaked” variation tonight. I found your blog when trying to learn how to make yogurt. That and your buttermilk recipes are staples around here now, as will this be. Thank you!

9. Lacey
    November 5, 2009 | 2:07 pm

Does this freeze well?

Raising Olives Reply:

I’ve never tried to freeze them, but I would think that they’d freeze beautifully.

Allison Reply:

Yes, I freeze these regularly. Works great!

10. Charlotte
    November 18, 2009 | 1:56 am

I tried making these bars, even though those US-measures made me a bit dizzy (I’m a Dane and everything here is metric). The children loved them, but they are a bit on the crumbly/unstable side. How do you measure coconut oil, do you melt it or …? And how to store these goodies?
    Thanks for your great site.

Raising Olives Reply:

Hmmm, never had a crumbly problem before. Hope they turn out better for you next time. Congrats on converting the measurements. I love knowing that people outside of the U.S. read this blog! Thanks.

It would probably be easiest to melt the coconut oil to measure, but I don’t always do that because I’m generally in a hurry. :)

They should store fine in an airtight container on the counter. Our kids devour them, so we’ve never had them stored for very long, so that is something to consider.

11. Natalia
    November 24, 2009 | 12:05 pm

I wanted to ask whether this makes crunchy bars or soft chewy bars? I often have the crumbly problem with granola bars. I want them to be textured more like the bought ones, because they’re less messy, there’s less waste, they’re easier to wrap up for lunches, etc.

Thanks!
    Natalia

Oh, this is my first time here. I think you might like the blog my name links to. It’s not a blog really, it’s a collection of OLD photos of BIG FAMILIES that I keep adding to. It’s my collecting passion! LOL

These bars end up being crunchy. However, unlike most other recipes I’ve tried, they stay together without crumbling, that’s what makes them my favorite. Let me know how they work for you if you try them.

12. Andrea Mouzas
    March 17, 2010 | 2:45 am

nice. Thank you

13. Rebekah
    May 19, 2010 | 2:38 pm

I made a slightly modified version of these yesterday and my whole family loves them! What a great recipe! It will be a staple in my house as well. I’m posting it on my blog, with a link back to you. Thank you!

14. Tristan from the Crew
    May 21, 2010 | 5:48 pm

Mmm, I made this today with what I had on hand (no wheat germ) and our variety was coconut chocolate chip, with vegetable oil, and NO EGG (allergy). They are yummy and the kids are thrilled!

Thanks for the recipe to work with.

15. Nicole
    November 24, 2010 | 4:11 pm

I LOVE these. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

16. Delene
    February 21, 2011 | 6:17 pm

I hate to tell me, but I managed to mess up this recipe! LOL
    Next batch will be made with less substitutions.

Delene Reply:

That should say I hate to tell u, not me

17. [...] Raising Olives [...]

18. Vi
    August 27, 2011 | 8:24 pm

I made my first granola bars ever today and used a recipe just like this one. I didn’t have wheat germ, so put in 1/4 cup of flax seed. Using coconut oil is a good idea, and one that I’ll do next. They were great and very chewy. I took them out of the oven soon as they began to brown on the edges.

19. Kelly
    October 12, 2011 | 6:56 pm

We made these this morning and were delighted with how they turned out! Rather than raisins, we added dried cherries, chocolate chips and coconut! Soooo good.

Ours never crisped up hard. They were the chewy granola bar type….but the family loved them.

They are VERY filling! Thx!

20. Brandi
    October 23, 2011 | 8:22 am

I was wondering if Succanat would work. I usually dont use brown sugar.

Hi Brandi,

We generally use evaporated cane juice rather than sugar, but I’m not sure how that compares with Sucanat. When something calls for brown sugar, we add molasses to the ECJ. I’ve not done that with this recipe, so am not sure how it would work.

If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

Allison Reply:

Yes, Sucanat works great. It’s about all I use too and I’ve used it many times in this recipe.

21. Eugenia
    February 25, 2012 | 7:17 pm

WOW! These are SOOOOO good! I made some with raisin/cranberry mix and some with honey roasted peanuts drizzled with chocolate. BIG hit, about to make more. I think this will be a staple, made as often as bread! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

22. Eugenia
    March 6, 2012 | 11:36 pm

I am back to leave another comment about how AMAZING these are! I have been giving them away to friends and everyone loves them so much that I make them ALL the time. Infact I just went to the store today and bought the ingredients in bulk. I made them for my husbands work center (he is in the Navy aboard an aircraft carrier) and he reported back that they were gone before lunch on the first day!

Thanks for the terrific feedback. I’ve gotten out of the habit and you’re making me remember how much we loved them.

23. Asiyah
    June 17, 2012 | 7:55 pm

Just a question in regards to the oatmeal. Do you use quick rolled oats or old-fashioned rolled oats? I am eager to give this recipe a try as the kids are always a little empty in the legs. I usually keep the old-fashioned oats but I know they tend to be a little thick.

Asiyah

24. Dawna
    July 13, 2012 | 9:49 pm

Hi! :)
    I just wanted to drop by to let you know that your granola bar recipe has been a staple in our home. It is delicious and so versatile. I am allergic to eggs so I substitute applesauce to help bind the ingredients together. I am going to post a link on my blog to your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

25. Michelle Marrujo
    May 25, 2014 | 9:03 pm

We’ve been making these for 5 years, thanks to you and my kids told me to never stop making these! I too, have tried many substitutions like oat bran instead of wheat germ, among many other things and have never been able to mess it up.