No Shampoo: Week 4-5 1/2

Week 4 was tough. I am going to spare you the details, but I will just say that things were ugly, literally.  At the very end of week 4 I decided to give in and try the notorious egg wash.  You had a hint of that if you read my Not Me a couple weeks ago.  (Yes, despite KimC’s warning I still ended up with bits of cooked egg in my hair.)  I mixed 2 eggs with some lemon juice (use white vinegar if you don’t have blond hair), poured the mixture over my hair and rinsed well.  It was exactly what my hair needed. It got rid of all the excess oil and my hair was clean and shiny once again.

Since then it has been smooth sailing and I have had clean, shiny, non-shampooed, wavy hair.  I have even discovered how to put my hair up before bed  so that I have nice, non-flattened curls in the morning as opposed to having to rinse and allow my hair to air dry EVERY morning.

Here’s the routine that is working for me.  I rinse my hair thoroughly in the shower and really scrub my scalp. Then I use conditioner, finger brushing it through my hair and don’t rinse.  When I’m done I scrunch it with a towel, apply some gel and allow to air dry. I am not and have not used any baking soda or vinegar and I’m still not using a brush.

no shampoo week 5

Read the whole “no shampoo” journey:
Why it started
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest52Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

39 Responses to No Shampoo: Week 4-5 1/2
  1. Angela
    May 15, 2009 | 8:36 am

Wow. you look at the pix of you all at Easter, and then look at the new picture you can reallllllly tell the differance. Your hair looks sooooo much more curley. I am on week 3 1/2 now. I am not so worried about the curl as I was the shine. I DO still brush my hair. I do mine a lil differently than you do. I scrub my hair with conditioner, and rinse. If it is feeling extra dry I add a touch more for leave in. Sometimes I air dry, sometimes I blow dry. It all depends on how I want to wear it, str8, wavey, or if I am just going to bed. If I want to wear it wavey/curley I take a mix of gel and conditioner and work it through my hair while it is still wet. Then I just finger it through my hair and scrunch it. If I want it extra curley that day I use hairspray while it is still wet. I love how shiney and georgimous it is now. I do not think my hair has EVER been this shiny EVER!! Thanks Kimberly!!
    –Angela

2. Smockity Frocks
    May 15, 2009 | 10:07 am

So… what do you do with your hair before bed? Do tell!

Kimberly Reply:

Hi Connie,
    I simply pull my hair up into a loose pony the top of my head, really on the top. (Like in the 80’s remember?) So I’m not sleeping on top of my hair at night, it is pulled to the top of my head. I use a cloth covered scrunchie and then just take it down and shake it out in the morning. Easy, I love it!

3. Smockity Frocks
    May 15, 2009 | 10:14 pm

Got it! Thanks.

And by the way… are you insinuating that I am old enough to remember styling my hair in the 1900’s?! Okay, ya got me. :) I graduated from high school in the EARLY 1980’s, so I definitely remember that style!

4. Suzanne
    May 16, 2009 | 12:36 am

Excellent hair style choice…

5. Vicki
    May 16, 2009 | 12:28 pm

What type of gel are you using?

Kimberly Reply:

Connie,
    No comment. :)

Suzanne,
    :P

Vicki,
    I use Aquage defining gel and really like it. It seems to last forever. Also, Curly Girl has a section that has suggestions for ingredients to look for when purchasing products. Check your library for a copy of Curly Girl. Ours has one, but it is currently on my book stand. :)

6. Angelia
    May 25, 2009 | 1:00 am

i may have missed this somewhere, but you said you aren’t using baking soda or vinegar. what are you using to clean with then. i have been using baking soda daily, and vinegar once weekly.

7. Raising Olives
    May 25, 2009 | 6:21 am

Angelia,

I have been using conditioner to clean my scalp. Then as needed I use the egg and lemon wash, less than once a week with that one.

When I mentioned to my grandmother that I was using eggs to clean my hair, her response was, “Oh yes, when I was in high school I used egg rinses all the time.” I just thought that was funny, this is nothing new.

How is your hair doing?

8. Angelia
    May 25, 2009 | 10:35 pm

just regular conditioner? i have plenty of that as well!
    i feel its been a little oily so i might try the egg as well.

Raising Olives Reply:

Just regular conditioner. I love the egg wash, just rinse, rinse, rinse with nice cool water, trust me! :)

9. Angelia
    May 25, 2009 | 11:32 pm

ok, thanks for the heads up! lol, sometimes you just have to laugh don’t you?

10. rose
    June 4, 2009 | 4:03 pm

i used baking soda and vinegar…only 2x a week and i love it.

11. Angela
    June 13, 2009 | 10:11 pm

Kimberly,
    I must confess. I cheated on you. Up until today, I had not shampooed sence the Sunday after we got back from camping. (Middle of April) I was doing SO good!
    Well long story short… Stephanie took scissors to her hair while we where in FL 2 weeks ago. (this is my 4 yr old for those that do not know me) Dan (hubby) insisted she go to the salon to get it “fixed”, cause she REALLLY did a number on it. (she lost over a foot in length! Some was saved, and sent to locks of love.) It is now a very interesting bob. (not your traditional little gurl cut)
    While I was there, my old stylist proceeded to fuss at me. He got me in the chair, trimmed the dead off (it had been 3 months +/-), and ranted about my not washing. He did say that the undernieth was very nice, but the top was very dry. He proceeded to wash my hair for me, sending me home with shampoo for dry hair. I am still debating if I am going to use it or not. I love how my hair has been doing w/o the shampoo, but he made a few very valid points as well. He said I should shampoo about once every 3-4 days (unless I had very oily hair.. then a lil less). Might I add that it does look quite georgimous semce he shampooed it.
    My question is… and this goes for everyone out there…. what do YOU think? What would you do if you where me? Should I shampoo it like once a week or something, just to cleanse the hair. I had been using egg. He said that was not enough to get the gunk out of the hair pores, and the conditioner just kinds lays on top of the gunk and slides off. It was not penitrating and softening my hair, like it does if you shampoo it every 3-4 days or so. IDK… what do you think? (HELP?!?!?!)
    –Angela

12. dada
    July 12, 2009 | 5:31 pm

i’ve got a question..how much vinegar you must put among the eggs? and you put only the yolk of to eggs or the whole egg? :D

Raising Olives Reply:

I just put in enough vinegar so that the egg doesn’t land in a clump on my head :) probably 1/2-3/4 cup. I use the whole egg! Let me know how it works for you!

Blessings,
    Kimberly

13. Michelle
    July 22, 2009 | 6:35 pm

Why no shampoo? just curious….

Raising Olives Reply:

Michelle,

I explain my reasons in this post. Of course I’m saving money by not using shampoo also, but mostly it’s the reasons outlined in that post.

Thanks for taking the time to ask!

Blessings,
    Kimberly

14. Jennie Roberts
    August 12, 2009 | 10:27 am

Thank you soo much for these posts. I gave it a try, and stuck with it through the ukiness (thanks to your posts) and now after 6 years of progressive hair loss, I have new hair growth after only 3 weeks!
    Thanks again!
    Jen

15. Rachel
    December 21, 2009 | 1:09 pm

I am on week 3.5 (I had been doing a partial no-shampoo, washing every two weeks) and this week is yucky. When did your hair start turning around? I’m going to go back and read your entire journey. Thanks for the egg wash idea. I’m going to try it out!

I can’t remember when it got better, but it was later than 3.5. I think around week 5 or so. Using a baking soda scrub and vinegar rinse is also very helpful. Let me know how it goes.

16. [...] your own personal hygiene products (or do without).  Kimberly has a great blog documenting her withdrawl from her addiction to [...]

17. Bible Babe
    March 1, 2010 | 4:38 pm

I found your site and read about the no poo way. I thought okay, I’ll try it. I never experienced the problems that many of you have, and I love the way my hair looks and feels. This is my third month, and I see no end in sight. I think I know why my hair didn’t freak like yours did. I have fairly long hair, and since I live on a homestead here in the mountains, I don’t wash my hair a lot in the winter. I think my hair had calmed down from the everyday washing of the summer, so my follicles didn’t feel like they had to overproduce. My hair is really thick and heavy, so It doesn’t curl like yours, but it looks good, and it is a lot cheaper to use baking soda and water to clean it with, and then cider vinegar to rinse. I’ll let you know how it does come summer when I sweat a lot more from working outside. Hmm, do you think that my using rain water to wash with also helped? Love the site!

18. Kimberly @ Raising Olives
    March 1, 2010 | 4:45 pm

I certainly don’t think that the rain water hurts and you’re probably right, it probably does help.

Let us know how summer goes.

Thank you.

Heather Reply:

Are you still not using shampoo? How is your hair? What kind of conditioner and gel do you use?

I began using shampoo at my husbands request. Honestly, he just doesn’t like my hair curly, he prefers straight. My hair was much nicer when I wasn’t using shampoo. :(

Since going back to shampoo, I just haven’t been happy with it and I’m thinking about asking him about trying it again, but just fixing it straight rather than letting it be curly.

19. Bible Babe
    March 19, 2010 | 1:06 pm

I thought ya’ll might like n update on my no poo. I decided to get my hair cut this last week–about shoulder length, with some layering. I was just in the mood for a change. Well, while the lady was cutting, she mentioned what excellent condition my hair
    was in. I told her about no poo, and she said that is probably why, even though I dye my hair every three months, it is in great condition. She did wash it that day, and I dyed it the next, so we will see what happens this next week. I’ll let ya know.

20. vikki
    November 11, 2011 | 5:14 pm

Wow, I am so going to try this. I have noticed that since I went through Menopause my hair is much dryer and I really only wash about once a week so this should be a slam dunk for me. Anyway thanks for the journey. One question, are you going to stay Poo free?

21. Amy
    December 16, 2011 | 8:44 am

if you put some baby powder in your hair it will absorb some of the grease. I try that on my hair sometimes, but since I have dark hair it doesnt work too well. but with light hair you wont even see it.

elli Reply:

instead of baby powder, use cocoa powder on dark hair…bonus: your hair has a subtle chocolate fragrance

22. jaychra
    January 27, 2012 | 5:19 am

Your hair looks lovely after the egg wash, it’s falling really nicely :)

23. Donna
    February 24, 2012 | 4:54 pm

Doesn’t your hair stink? I hate when my hair smells yucky. Even with the egg wash or baking soda it is only every few days. Doesn’t your hair stink in between — especially in hot weather months? I love how shampoo makes my hair smell good but I am considering your method because I have naturally curly hair that is frizzy no matter what expensive products I use.

No my hair doesn’t stink. :)

24. Harmony
    April 10, 2012 | 11:26 am

Your husband didn’t like your hair curly?! That is craziness–it looked SO good in these pics! I seriously love your hair in that final shot, and am super jealous of it :-)

25. Sandi
    August 30, 2012 | 3:28 am

Does anyone know if it matters if your hair is permed? I have naturally stick-straight, fine hair, although a lot of it, and I get my hair permed. Will the no shampoo method work on permed hair also?

26. Sophia
    September 23, 2012 | 5:35 pm

I have curly hair very similar to yours but a bit longer, mine goes past my shoulder blades. I suggest my routine: I start with clean, shampooed & conditioned hair at night on day 1 (I know this defeats the whole purpose, but you can always substitute with something you feel for comfortable with). In the morning of day 2, I part my hair horizontally (as if you were going to put it in a half updo) and using a wide paddle brush, brush the bottom layer. Here you can go over it with the boar bristle brush, I do that sometimes. Then just twist it to organize it a little. Now you can take the rest of your hair down and use your fingers to style it (I just have a side part). When I shower on night 2, I just put my hair in a bun and avoid getting it wet in the shower. This takes some getting used to, and the hair around your face will get wet. I repeat this routine until the night of day 7. Then I brush my (dirty) dry hair with a paddle brush (to loosen dirt) then with a boar bristle brush (to spread oils). Then I get in the shower and shampoo and condition my hair, working each product into my hair throughly with my finger tips. I leave the conditioner in for the duration of my shower, then finger comb it out under the running water. Then start my routine all over again! Not all shampoos are bad, you might want to look into natural brands at your local health food store. Best of luck!

Sandi Reply:

Sophia,

I am curious. Is your comment in reply to my comment, or is it in reply to the original post by Kimberly at Raising Olives?

Also, do you have oily scalp? And is your hair straight or curly? The brushes comments make me think it’s straight.

Thanks!

Sandi

Sophia Reply:

My comment was in reply to the original post, and my scalp is not very oily, which might be part of the reason I can get away with only washing it once a week. But my hair is very, very curly much like Kimberly’s. I hope I helped!

27. amber
    January 22, 2013 | 11:12 pm

Have you thought about trying Wen? No harsh chemicals, great conditioning feeling. I have really thick, unruly hair – it helps. Just a thought. I couldn’t deal with oily hair, major kudos to you!