You Asked For It: Our Chore List

Rebecca asked to see our current chore list, so here it is for your viewing pleasure. Not interested in the specifics? You can read a more general post about training children to do chores, look at  cute pictures completely unrelated to chores or learn 25 Random Things About Me. Whatever, just move along there is nothing else of interest for you here. 🙂

All right. We have 3 separate chore assignments during the day: Before Breakfast Chores, Regular Chores and Table Chores. Before breakfast chores happen before breakfast, duh. Regular chores are done  immediately after breakfast and table chores after dinner each evening.

Before breakfast chores:

Scheduled for 30 minutes each morning. During that time each child  makes their bed, cleans their room, gets dressed, brushes teeth and hair and then:

Amber (12) empties the top rack of the dishwasher and helps make breakfast
Kaitlin (11) makes breakfast
Matthew (9) cares for the animals and then helps Savannah set the table (if necessary).
Alyssa (8) vacuums the family room rug
Carter (7) empties the bottom rack of the dishwasher
Sadie (5) empties the silverware
Savannah (4) empties the bathroom trash cans and sets the table
Colby (2) helps me dress Nicholas and start laundry
Nicholas (1) gives lots of kisses and snuggles

Regular Chores:

(30-45 minutes)

Amber – Plans and prepares all lunch and snack foods, makes bread, granola, granola bars, yogurt, buttermilk, etc. She also plans breakfasts, but Kaitlin is now in charge of preparing that.  Amber has set up her own schedule as far as what to do on which day.
Kaitlin – Monday – Cleans the laundry and art closets and moves the furniture and sweeps in the family room.
Tuesday – Cleans and vacuums car
Wednesday – Cleans downstairs bathroom & vacuums stairs
Thursday – Cleans out fridge & wipes cabinet fronts
Friday – Helps mom sweep, vacuum and dust in bedrooms
Matthew – Cleans two upstairs bathrooms. Everyday he wipes counters, sinks, faucets, tubs, toilets, shakes mats, and sweeps floors. Once a week he mops each floor, scrubs each tub, cleans out under the sinks and cleans the mirrors.
Alyssa – Cleans family room, tidies, dusts, and sweeps.
Carter – Cleans the kitchen after breakfast.
Sadie – Cleans the dining room, clears and wipes the table and then tidies, dusts and sweeps.
Savannah – Cleans the living room, tidies, dusts and sweeps.
Colby – Helps me with my chores and picks up toys.
Nicholas is a bum and can usually be found in the Ergo during chore time.

Table chores:

When a child is done with their assignment they help whomever still needs help and all work together until the job is finished (10-15 minutes).

Amber – puts away food and clears and wipes two counters
Kaitlin – loads silverware and plates into the dishwasher, vacuums and sweeps the dining room floor
Matthew – cleans stove and one counter, sweeps kitchen floor
Alyssa – hand washes dishes and cleans the sink
Carter – clears and wipes one counter, cleans cabinet fronts and empties trash
Sadie – clears and wipes the table and moves chairs for vacuuming and sweeping
Savannah – clears table and cleans the chairs, high chair and tray
Colby -gathers our napkins and puts them in to the laundry
Nicholas – eats whatever he can find on the floor and recently discovered that the pickings are even better if he heads straight for the dishwasher where he can lick the plates and forks.(Eeeew!)

Questions? Please ask.

Blessings,

Signature

This post is linked to Blissfully Domestic.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest111Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

32 Responses to You Asked For It: Our Chore List
  1. Seth
    May 13, 2009 | 10:53 pm

That is really cool. I never had daily chores like that growing up, it was more weekly chores. Kind of explains why I am so lazy…

2. Cardamoms Pod
    May 14, 2009 | 6:52 am

Thanks, Kimberly! I was thinking of calling you to chat about chores, since I’m *so* close to having it all written down… We all know what to do, most know how to do it, but just having it written on a list so *I* don’t have to remember it all the time really works. We have the table and kitchen chores down – it’s just that cleaning time that’s been difficult to get organized. Thanks again!

3. Roan
    May 14, 2009 | 8:36 am

Love it! Love it! Love it!
    My children do a similar amount of chores. Many hands make the work light! Isn’t that so true? Thanks for sharing your chore list.

4. Heather McFadden
    May 14, 2009 | 9:28 am

Wow! I see that I have a long way to go… great job! I’m inspired! Thanks.

5. Smockity Frocks
    May 14, 2009 | 9:55 am

Thank you for this. I am about to rework our chore chart and this gives me a few new ideas.

6. miss mary
    May 14, 2009 | 4:37 pm

you really have everything in order. you are really organized. I never had to do anything when I was growing up. Clean my room (if I wanted a little)
    So in turn I really never made my kids do anything either. but as they got older I did require a little help.
    Thanks for sharing..
    Hugs and God Bless

7. Kristin
    May 18, 2009 | 2:32 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! My girls read it with me and were quite excited about trying to do many of these things themselves. My oldest girls (8 1/2, 7) have been learning to cook more on their own the past few months and are able to help with more involved chores, but they want to do more. They have asked to help with putting our Managers of Their Chores program together. I look forward to raising daughters who are able to take care of their homes and families with the skills they have learned and developed as such young ladies.

8. Sarah
    August 7, 2009 | 11:34 am

wow! This is amazing. My children are still so young, it seems like we will never get to the point of having more than 1 child able to help me. Though, I have made it a point that they always help. . . It’s just never been organized. 😀

I also have read managers of their chores, and I want to implement the ‘chore packs’ or at least the idea of them. I’m just having trouble deciding what to include and where. I am *NOT* a morning person, I hit full steam after lunch. haha. Makes the morning chores difficult for mom to push. 😉 lol.

Thank you so much for sharing! I too have a banner with my children at the top of my blog, I promise I didn’t copy though. haha. :))

9. Mama Mirage (Jessica)
    August 13, 2009 | 12:17 am

ROFL at the baby’s “chores.” I have a 1 year old who also thinks it his duty to clean the floor under the table after mealtiumes. 😉

10. Tamara
    September 10, 2009 | 2:15 pm

You are amazing! Maybe you could come and live with us for a few weeks and get my kids all trained up. Hee Hee. I have three from 4-10 yrs. Love your site.

11. Kimberly B
    December 18, 2009 | 2:40 pm

My girls have the mistaken impression that they should get paid for doing thier chores, OK I confess that was the way we started out but no due to money constraints we can’t do that. I need sugesstions on how to change it from being paid to do chore to doing chores hapily with a smile not an argument.

This is a great question, do you mind if I wait until I can get up a post about this? It may be a while. If you’d prefer a “now” answer, I will give you a quick one.

Kimberlyb Reply:

You just stay laying down and keep that baby healthy. lol, I can’t wait to see pics of your newest gift. I will wait and argue with them for now. lol.

12. thesleepyknitter
    February 13, 2010 | 7:03 pm

Hi, Kimberly! I’m assuming your server alerts you when someone comments on an old post? I found these chore links through yesterday’s posts on the Beehive reader. Two things I would like to start doing with our 2.5 yr. daughter are teaching her chores and teaching her to memorize Scripture (my friend’s SIL has a blog for that, http://mothersbible.typepad.com/blog/, that I hope to start using immediately). Right now, K’s only daily chore is picking up her spilled Cheerios, a task she resists with admirable force, but I think we could start her on some of the items you mentioned in your children’s chore list. One question I would have about your list is how do the children react to having the same chore every day? For instance, does A get tired of being the breakfast maker, day after day?

That’s a great question. I think that whenever work is involved things will get tiring. So even if each child was doing a different chore each day of the week they would still eventually get tired, although admittedly it may take them longer to reach that point. 🙂

I talk a little about why we choose to not rotate chores in this post.

Also, even though we don’t rotate chores every day or even every week. We do listen to our children when they ask to be given different chores. As long as they have been faithful in their given tasks they may request a chore switch. We don’t let them switch every week, but every few months you can expect to see some type of shift in what everyone is doing.

Keep up the great work with your baby. (Yes, she’s still a baby. 🙂

13. […] disperses to get dressed, clean bedrooms, brush teeth and do their before breakfast chores.  Nick (1) wakes up grumpy and crying.  I think I’ll be having some company while I get […]

14. Be a Yes Mom | Raising Olives
    May 12, 2010 | 8:08 am

[…] may be interested in our children’s chore assignments, how we train our children to do chores or the fun competition we use to encourage the children to […]

15. […] Current giveaway Bebe au Lait This entry is part 3 of 3 in the series ChoresChoresDaily ChoresYou Asked For It: Our Chore ListUpdated Chore List for Our Large FamilyScroll down for a fun froggy scavenger hunt and super […]

16. […] makes it easier for the children to do their table chores each […]

17. schedule
    October 12, 2010 | 8:18 pm

[…] dressed, clean rooms, and before breakfast chores (empty the dishwasher, make breakfast, care for the animals, […]

18. Sally
    June 20, 2011 | 9:28 pm

Hi there! I can’t even remember the trail of posts that led me to this one, but I like it! I DO have a have question, though…
    …since so many of the children are doing the house chores, this means that you are not. Do your children ever fuss about you “getting out of” doing chores, or generally upset because they feel that they are doing “all” the work, and you aren’t?

LOL, no. There are a lot more household chores to be done than what is on this list. I do all of the deep cleaning and laundry. I also do most of the child care chores and school scheduling and planning.

If you’ve worked alongside children, you know that a lot of work goes into teaching them to work diligently and accomplish their work up to a reasonable standard. I often work with the children to keep them on task and remind them what is expected of them.

We work together and play together as a family.

19. Lisa
    July 31, 2011 | 10:47 am

Wow! So inspiring! I thought my kids did a lot, but now I see they need to do more! My kids are 14,13,11,7,4,and 2. I still do all the laundry (my 14 year old does her own) fold it and put it away, cook all the meals,clean all the bathrooms and do a ton of prep to teach school. I know I’ve messed up in not teaching them do more, but I would rather do it myself and see it clean and sparkling, then teach my 8 year old to scrub toilets…I know, bad mommy! Is it too late too start? Mommy is tired and grumpy!

Hi Lisa,

“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus”

No, you’re not a bad mom and no, it’s not too late to start, but it doesn’t mean that you won’t be tired and grumpy (’cause I still am). 🙂

I think that it will be beneficial for you and for your kids. Enjoy the journey and be prepared for lots of training and some yucky toilets! (Oh, I often scrub ours once a week because that bothers me too.)

Lisa Reply:

Ty! What an encouragement to me! I took your chore list and modified it for our family. Mommy now only has her own bathroom to clean, less laundry, making crockpot lunches, teaching kids to cook and plan breakfast, and Learning to spend more time reading and cuddling her littles!

20. heather
    August 25, 2011 | 5:02 pm

I am appreciating all the useful information you have shared about scheduling and such. Thanks! I can’t figure out how your daughter makes bread or granola in only 45 minutes….when I look at MOTH and other information food prep times are so minimal…It always takes us much longer even with a menu. How does it work at your house and where do you fit in freezer meals like I read on a different post, browning 80 pounds of burger?

21. Gizela
    June 15, 2012 | 1:16 pm

Hi thank you so much for this post it has helped me in so many ways. I was wondering what you are your views on hiring a made to doall the chrores if one can afford and let children just enjoy time. I really will appreciate it

Ashley Reply:

This made me laugh. I’m not speaking for Kim, but from experience. I was never taught to do much of anything. Now at 30 with 3 young children, I’m still trying to figure out how to plan and cook meals, clean, get grass stains out of knees, sew and mend clothing…these were all things that my mother (the oldest of 5 under 8) was taught in the ’60s and ’70’s. While I don’t have a chore list like Kim’s, i make my kids do chores and help out, even the boys! I want them to be self sufficient and for their future wives to thank me for raising men who are qualified to keep a bathroom clean. I’d say fire the maid and instill training, diligence, hard work, and character in your kiddos
    😉

22. Brandi
    June 28, 2013 | 7:41 pm

Hello. i really enjoy your blog. Thank you for taking the time to share so much with us. I would love to have a chore schedule like yours, but feel so far from it. My children are willing to work, but I find it so hard to have the time to properly train them. Can you explain how this gets accomplished in your home? Also, when a chore is not done up to standard, how to you handle that? Do you have a regular chore training and/or inspection time? Thank you in advance!

23. Sarah
    February 25, 2015 | 12:40 am

I have been searching for a chore list like this! I have four awesome kids with number five on the way. I just started homeschooling a few months ago and have been trying to figure out how much my kids should be responsible for helping out around the house. Thanks so much for posting ! God bless!

24. Teresa
    April 17, 2016 | 9:29 pm

I have 2 boys 8 and almost 10 and another boy due in June. and my biggest issue is getting them to get all of their pee in the toilet. It gets on the seat and floor and really starts to stink. I am constantly cleaning it up. How can I get them to stop doing this?

25. Heather
    June 22, 2016 | 12:45 am

I would like to do better at mealtime clean up. The kids eat at different paces and want to leave the table when they finish. How do you get everyone to stick around to get the job done?