Homeschool Greek

I am so excited, I just had to post this. Our Greek texts finally arrived in the mail. I know I’m getting ahead of myself.  I had planned on telling you why we chose to teach Greek and then how we have taught it up to this point, but these books look like so much fun, I just had to share.  Our children already know the Greek alphabet and they have been learning to read decode Greek, but we finally received our order from of  “Hey Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek“.  These workbooks are going to be fun, especially since our children are exposed to very few workbooks.

Don’t think that you can’t teach Greek.  The goal of this series is to enable children to be able to read and translate the book of John.   We will be incorporating our Greek vocabulary with our memorization box every morning at breakfast, so consistent review should be straight forward.

I’m only starting our fluent-chapter-book-readers in these workbooks, our beginning readers will continue to practice reading Greek before we start them in the workbooks, but they will be learning vocabulary with us, so should have a head start when they begin. I’ll let you know how it goes.

How many of you are studying Greek also? Comments and advice are welcome, as always.

You may also be interested in Why Teach Greek?.

I know I’ve been slower than some of you would like on adding homeschooling posts, but I am working on it, so hang in there. :)  In the meantime, you can read what I have already written about homeschooling.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest35Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

18 Responses to Homeschool Greek
  1. Heather
    June 4, 2009 | 11:57 am

We LOVE “Hey Andrew!” My hubby is usually shown as endorsing it on their website. He has been a greek professor.

2. MomStarr
    June 5, 2009 | 7:10 am

What did you use to teach them the greek alphabet? I am game for greek but still not optimistic. A good friend recommended this book I am reading :>) with a pretty cover of a drawing by the authors daughter and it goes on and on about teaching greek……after I recovered from the thought of teaching greek I decided to keep reading and maybe think about giving it a try. ha! Even a lady at church suggested greek over latin….latin just seems easier. I am not sure why. More suggestions on greek would be great and possibly convincing! Not that this certain book hasn’t been very convincing! :>)

3. Raising Olives
    June 5, 2009 | 7:34 am

MomStarr,

I simply downloaded a page from the internet that had the Greek alphabet, the name of the letter and the sound that it made. I had the children do one letter a day. They wrote 3-4 lines of the letter and each time they wrote it they said the letter name and the sound it made out loud. If you prefer, you may simply buy some of the lower levels of “Hey Andrew”, it introduces all the letters and has work pages for reviewing. I purchased Level 2 for our 8 year old and level 3 for everyone else and even in those levels it has alphabet review.

Also we listened to the first chapter of the book of John in Greek everyday. Then moved on to the next chapter. It get the kids familiar with how Greek sounds and they are also beginning to memorize John in Greek. I think I’m going to get this into a regular post with links and all. Everything I’ve used up until the other day has been free online.

You really can do this and the rewards will be well worth it.

Heather,

Hmm, wonder who pointed us in the direction of “Hey Andrew” I missed Dan’s endorsement on the website. I need to go back and look. Thanks.

Blessings,
    Kimberly

4. Mandy
    June 8, 2009 | 11:02 am

Great post! I myself want to learn Greek…so maybe I could learn along with my kids. They attend our Christian School, but I still want to teach them some things at home – such as greek that they wouldn’t get there. I am actually a homeschool graduate myself. I never spent a day anywhere else.

5. Kristen
    October 19, 2009 | 10:18 am

We used Hey Andrew Levels 1 and 2 and then switched to Elementary Greek by Open Texture. It is a super program. I found that it is more sequential than Hey Andrew. Unfortunately, we are midway through book 2 and I haven’t got started back with it this school year. I have no idea why! LOL

6. Stacy Collier
    March 14, 2010 | 3:14 pm

At what age do you start teaching Greek?

I just ordered our just turned 8 year old the level 2 book. We like to make sure that the kids are reading and writing comfortably in English and are interested in learning Greek. We also teach our children the Greek alphabet and sounds before we order the books and then we start them in level 2.

7. Beth Hudson
    May 3, 2010 | 5:53 pm

Where online did you find the reading of the Bible in Greek out loud?

Beth – I’m sorry that I’m so slow in responding to you. Somehow, I just got busy and responding to comments was low on my list.

Here is the link to our favorite.

8. Why Teach Greek? | Raising Olives
    May 12, 2010 | 5:00 pm

[…] posted about our Greek curriculum if you’re interested and as always I’m happy to field […]

9. Kathy
    May 26, 2010 | 10:35 pm

Do you have a link for the alphabet and pronuncation? thanks.

Here is the chart that we used.

Hope that is helpful. On my other post about Greek I’ve posted audio links of the New Testament being read in Greek in the comment section.

10. Dauna
    June 3, 2010 | 9:24 am

THe greek alphabet I started teaching my kids when they are 3. They can recognize about half of the letters. I was a mathy, so i saw all the letters in university while studying. I just had to learn the proper pronunciation.

11. Jennifer
    January 14, 2011 | 9:34 pm

Thank you, ladies. I have long wanted to teach my children Greek for the same reasons you noted in your post about why you chose Greek. However, I found I completely intimidating! But after reading your post and all the comments I feel like I can do it. One letter a day – even I can do that! Sometimes I have a hard time keeping my focus on the baby steps and get overwhelmed by the big picture. Thank you to all who posted – you have sincerely encouraged me!

12. Sarah
    August 24, 2011 | 1:46 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! My husband and I were praying about what to teach our children. I wasn’t excited about spanish but figured that is the way we’d go considering it would be the most useful – or so I was thinking. Then the Lord gave the idea to teach Greek so our children will be able to know for themselves what the Word of God says. I had never really known anyone else to do this and so when I came across your website (from looking at Life in a Shoe) and read this I was very excited!

13. melanie
    September 6, 2011 | 8:21 pm

Kimberly, So you use online sources to learn greek letters and sounds only and then start with “Hey Andrew” level 2 at age 8, is that right? Why start at level 2 and if a 14 year old is just starting would he start at level 2 or 3 like your older kids? Thanks for you experience and advice!
    Melanie

We start at level 2 because level 1 spends much of the time introducing the letters and the sounds they make. We cover all of that before we even start. Level 2 reviews everything introduced in level 1 and then adds to it.

We started our 9 and older kids at Level 3 and they did fine.

I think for a 14 year old I would have him start at 3, but move at a quicker pace. Hope that helps.

14. Norma Jean Wallac
    July 17, 2013 | 12:09 am

I have been teaching my children Latin. I’ve used Prima Latina, Christina Latina, and Song School Latin with plans on using Latin for Children next. However, I came across a very new product at the state convention this year called Biblical Greek for Children. I am about to order it and I am so excited. You can use it with very young children. They also have Hebrew. You can check it out on Psalm78mininistries.com They actually have a great sale on right now that just started today!