Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe

I received this recipe from a friend of mine, thanks Gabrielle.  It has been a huge success in our home and whenever I take it anywhere I get multiple requests for the recipe, it is that good!  Of course since you are seeing it on Raising Olives, you know that it MUST be quick, simple and versatile.  You can make any number of additions for yummy variety!

It is best with fresh, homemade pasta, but store bought works in a pinch.

Ingredients:

1 pint heavy cream or 1 cup cream and 1 cup half and half
1 stick of butter cut into pieces
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt & pepper to taste
pinch nutmeg
1 lb. fettuccine
chopped parsley for garnish
Italian sausage (optional)

Heat the cream and butter in a sauce pan over low medium heat.  Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Meanwhile cook the pasta.  When cream is thoroughly hot, but not boiling and butter has melted, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Toss with the pasta and adjust salt & pepper as needed.  Add any other ingredients that you desire.

Here are some of our favorite additions: Chicken and mushrooms, sausage, peas or any other leftover veggies.  Just about everything is a delicious add-in, use your imagination.

You may be interested in more Raising Olives recipes or ideas for menu planning and scheduling.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest2Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

13 Responses to Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
  1. Kristen
    July 17, 2009 | 9:58 am

You make your own pasta! Seriously, I have toyed with the idea. Kitchen Aid has a pasta maker that attaches to my mixer. What do you use?

2. Roan
    July 17, 2009 | 10:10 am

This sounds delicious! I have never made this kind of sauce….very fattening! But I know it will be good. I may try this next week!

3. Lori
    July 17, 2009 | 2:52 pm

Oh my that sounds yummmy. Hey I picked your photo caption, see here http://laurelwreathsreflections.com/photos/picture-mcklinky/ Thank you so much for playing.

4. Cardamoms Pod
    July 17, 2009 | 3:33 pm

Kimberly – have you been spying in my recipes? That’s exactly the way WE make Fettuccine Alfredo!! A winner every time, and a regular favorite around here. We also love to add cooked broccoli or chopped spinach for a complete one-dish meal.

5. Twisted Cinderella
    July 17, 2009 | 5:20 pm

That sounds absolutely heavenly!

6. hi-d
    July 17, 2009 | 11:36 pm

Can’t wait to make this! I am impressed that you make your own pasta!

7. Laurel
    July 19, 2009 | 2:06 am

Sounds yummy!

We made your homemade hamburger buns again tonight. Always GREAT reviews on that one.

One question: how much butter is in your “stick”? When we buy margarine it is in the regular “stick”, yet when we buy real butter it is in a much larger “chunk”.

mama of 13

Raising Olives Reply:

We have an Atlas Pasta Maker that we found on Ebay thanks to Cardamom’s suggestion. Making pasta is super easy and fun, but it’s not quick and it makes a huge mess, at least it does in our house.

You put a pile of flour on the counter or in a kneading bowl. Make a well in the center and crack a few eggs in. Mix adding flour or eggs until you get the right consistency. You’ll eventually need to use your hands to mix. (It should go through the pasta maker without sticking or crumbling.) That’s it! Fresh pasta is amazing and if you have kids, you don’t even need to run it through the pasta maker yourself. Making pasta is more fun than play dough!

Laurel,
    Our stick is 1/2 cup. Thanks, I’ll change that in the post.
    Blessings,
    Kimberly

Mylinda Reply:

Love your blog, thanx for all you do. I’m looking for a few more details on the pasta maker you have (which Atlas) and why you chose that particular one. I’m trying to convince myself that I can make the time to do home made pasta 🙂

Hi Mylinda,

We chose the pasta maker we chose because it came highly recommended by a friend (who also has a large family). This is the type of Atlas we got.

Making the pasta is pretty quick and lots of fun (just like playing with play dough) it’s cleaning up the mess afterwards….:)

8. Nicki
    March 24, 2011 | 5:29 pm

My oldest daughter loves to make this for us! It’s as good as restaurant fettucini, and we LOVE it! We like to add grilled chicken to ours.

9. Dianne
    January 12, 2012 | 1:56 pm

That sounds like my basic Alfredo recipe that I had made for a long time. Later, I was in a high end meat market and they had jars of homemade Alfredo for sale. I looked at the ingredients and they added white wine (I add about 1 cup while the butter is melting) and pepper. I also increase the cream to one quart and I use light cream in stead of heavy, and increase the parmesan cheese to two cups. I add cooked squeezed out spinach to all of it and toss it with the pasta. I also add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt, but no one complains without it. To us, it just tastes better a little saltier. We also use cooked, cut-up chicken breast instead of sausage, but I’m going to try the sausage. This is my stand-by meal for new moms. It has lots of fat, lots of protein, lots of carbs, and a vegetable all in one.

10. Dianne
    January 12, 2012 | 2:00 pm

I went back and re-read your recipe and saw you use salt and pepper and suggest spinach- I’m a goof! But I do highly recommend the wine. The alcohol cooks out and leaves the most delicious flavor.