Decorating on a budget: Salvaged Drawers

Remember the drawers that I got for free while yard sale-ing?  They fit perfectly under the boys bunk bed and have solved our space crunch in that bedroom.  I decided to forgo the wheels  in favor of nice felt pads at the corners so they will slide nicely and not scratch the floor.  I could just imagine the boys having way too much fun with wheeled drawers.

Look how pretty they turned out.

Yard sale drawers

drawers under boys bunk bed

And since I know you are curious, all the bedding that you see was purchased at yard sales and the fishing net and other wall decor?  Yard sale.

So:

• drawers under bed – free, salvaged from a yard sale
  • bunk bed with the mattresses – free, given to us by friends
  • all wall decor  –  $5 Purchased together as a large lot with what you see here plus a great stained-glass, light house lamp, a shadow box with a nautical scene and different knots (you can see part of that at the edge of the picture), and several other little nautical do-dads.
  • red, white and blue bed set (Pottery Barn) – $10
  • blue and white bed set – $5

Total cost for this half of the boys room? $20

As you can tell the room still needs a few things, but the key to successful yard sale shopping?  Patience.

Check out how I found multiple lovely ways to re-purpose this $1 yard sale set of shot glasses.  You may also be interested in some of Raising Olives’ other money saving ideas.

Click over to We are THAT Family or read more of Raising Olives’ Works For Me Wednesday’s.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

16 Responses to Decorating on a budget: Salvaged Drawers
  1. Twisted Cinderella
    July 15, 2009 | 7:38 am

What a great idea with the drawers!! I really like the creativity of it. The room looks really good. I am taking notes for future room decorating with my girls.

2. Jamie
    July 15, 2009 | 11:22 am

PATIENCE! See, that’s my problem :). Really cute room. Maybe when my kids are older I will do more garage saling… I’m not holding my breath, though! The kids will be older and I still won’t have the patience. Note: this does not mean we spend a lot of money… we just don’t have it. Instead, it means our children have unmatching “homemade” decorations taped to their walls! And those drawers are beautiful! We just use these box like things to store stuff (in our case: sweatshirts and large clothing items that take up too much space in the dresser). Useful, but not nearly as pretty!

3. Amanda
    July 15, 2009 | 12:26 pm

I have a patience problem too. I have a hard time going out and looking for things. Thanks for the tip!

4. Kara
    July 15, 2009 | 12:34 pm

What a great looking room! I love this idea and have done it myself. Patience is key with so many, many thing! One little side note, if your kiddos start to have trouble sleeping take away the drawers and find them a new home. A woman I know reciently told me that keeping anything under your bed isn’t good for sleep. I pulled all the storage out from under our beds and we are all sleeping much better…

5. Julie
    July 15, 2009 | 3:33 pm

What a neat idea with the drawers. Very nice job!

6. Amber
    July 15, 2009 | 8:33 pm

Great use of the drawers! I agree that felt was probably the way to go, to avoid drawer skateboarding across the room.

Raising Olives Reply:

I no longer have the empty space in this part of the boys room. I found a great solution, practical and beautiful and I’m going to help all of you with your patience, 🙂 you’ll need to hang around until I post my solution, with pictures and instructions included so you can do it yourself and trust me, you’ll find a place that you will want to do what I have done.

Is that cryptic enough for you!

Blessings,
    Kimberly

7. Chas
    July 20, 2009 | 9:22 am

I LOVE this!
    I bought one of those long clear rubbermaid thingies to slide under the boys beds, but this looks fabulous.
    Great job!!!!
    Blessings,
    Chas

8. Meredith
    August 29, 2010 | 9:59 pm

What an amazing deal on the bedding! I am moving our 2 boys in together, and I have spent more than a few hours scheming on similar Pottery Barn bedding, with no luck.

Finding it at that price was a very, very, very special deal!

9. […] Home to our 4 boys ages 11, 8, 4 and 2.  (I posted about how I decorated this room for $20) […]

10. Heather's Hodgepodge
    November 10, 2010 | 7:54 am

I am impressed! You did a great job.

11. megan @ whatmegansmaking
    November 10, 2010 | 8:57 am

They turned out perfect! I can’t believe you got all that stuff from garage sales. I’m terrible a repurposing things – I need to read some more of your posts!

12. Johnlyn
    November 10, 2010 | 12:23 pm

Great job! It does take patience and perseverance, but it pays off. Just recently I started doing little things around my house trying to decorate just a little bit more. It didn’t take much money, just time.

If I stay out of the stores I see myself getting a lot more creative too!

Thanks for posting over at WFMW!

13. Marcia@Frugalhomekeeping
    November 10, 2010 | 12:38 pm

Great thrifty ideas! I was curious to see how you used salvages drawers.

14. Michelle
    November 10, 2010 | 4:39 pm

Those drawers look like they came with the beds — great idea!

And I know all too well what you mean about boys having too much fun with wheeled drawers. Or drawers without wheels that really should be IN the dresser…

15. free2befrugal.com
    November 11, 2010 | 10:01 am

Hi there, I am stopping over from WFMW. Thanks for sharing your find. I never would have thought to try something like that, but a little ingenuity goes a long way! Repurposing old drawers, who would have thought?

Great post!

I hope you’ll stop by and visit Free 2 Be Frugal sometime soon.