Easy Knit Cable Bootie Pattern

I made this bootie, well a pair of these booties out of soft, delicious Merino wool for Nicholas last year.  I used this free One Strand Knit Bootie pattern and modified the pattern to add the little cable on top.

I’ve been asked for my alterations a couple of times on Ravelry, (Don’t know what Ravelry is?  I posted about it here.  If you knit or crochet or you want to, you will want to sign up.  It’s free.)   so thought that I’d post them here in the event that there are some knitters out there who might enjoy them.

In the One Strand Knit Bootie pattern, in the “DIVIDE FOR THE INSTEP” section, where it says, “P 12 sts that are on needle #2. Work back and forth—K a row, P a row—for instep until there are 18 rows total, ending with a P row” is where I worked the cable.  So do the following in place of those directions.

Cable the instep:

Row 1:  p 2,k 2, p4, k2, p2 turn
Row 2:  k 2, p2, k4, p2, k2 turn
Row 3:  repeat Row 1
Row 4:  k2, p2, slip next 2 st onto cable needle and hold in front, k2, k2 from cable needle, p2, k2
Row 5:  repeat Row 1
Row 6: repeat Row 2
Row 7: repeat Row 1
Row 8: repeat Row 4
Row 9-16: repeat Row 5-8 two more times
Row 17: repeat Row 1
Row18: repeat Row 2

Continue with the One Strand Knit Bootie pattern as written.

If you want to get fancy, when you make the cable for the second bootie, change Row 4 of the cable pattern to k2, p2, slip next 2 st onto cable needle and hold in back, k2, k2 from cable needle, p2, k2.  Then your cables will both twist toward the center when on babies feet.

Do you knit?  Leave a comment I’d love to hear from you or you can find me on Ravelry, I’m RaisingOlives, what else?  If you friend me on Ravelry, please be sure to let me know that you found me through my blog. :)

More knitting on Raising Olives.

Share on Facebook2Pin on Pinterest556Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter2

18 Responses to Easy Knit Cable Bootie Pattern
  1. Heather Finley
    August 29, 2009 | 12:51 pm

Cute, cute! Do you knit diaper covers?

2. Raising Olives
    August 29, 2009 | 12:57 pm

Yes! The reason that I taught myself to knit was to make diaper covers for the boys.

I have a lot of knitting in store since Nicholas is much chubbier than Colby and is growing out of my current supply of covers. :)

3. the inadvertent farmer
    August 29, 2009 | 4:45 pm

Just precious…I want another set of chubby feet to put in booties! Kim

4. Mrs. White
    August 29, 2009 | 5:47 pm

Thanks for this post. I signed up for it. Looks wonderful.
    Blessings
    Mrs. White

5. Gen
    August 29, 2009 | 6:12 pm

love them! i do knit….and that’s it. haven’t gotten the hang of a purl stitch yet…but i’m determined! right now i’m doing a very simple blanket for my daughter…who should be born any day now!

Gentile

6. Heather
    August 29, 2009 | 9:03 pm

Such cute little booties! I used to knit, have not in forever. I am going to do some of these for someone, i love them. PS: thank you for the well wishes on our move. I appreciate the prayers, i am tired:)

7. Nicole- Chasing Blue
    August 29, 2009 | 9:18 pm

I just taught myself how to knit this summer. Too bad I stink at reading patterns. I’ve made several dishcloths though.

I’m also on ravelry. such a great site to get inspiration!

8. Heather@It's Twinsanity
    August 29, 2009 | 11:21 pm

Serious question: How do you find the time to knit? I have more unfinished projects laying around than I can count!

9. Roan
    August 29, 2009 | 11:42 pm

Thanks for the instructions. While it looks like a foreign language to me, my 2 older girls are constantly knitting and crocheting. I am going to show them this post. They have been making slippers for their friends, but I know they would love the baby booties! Lately, they have been making those Ami thingys. Do you know what I am talking about?

I love your schoolroom! We have a schoolroom in the basement. It is painted a pretty blue. I designed it when we built the house. It has a huge walk in closet for storing all of my activities, art supplies, the kids’ work buckets, etc. I have maps on the wall across from the floor to ceiling built in wooden shelves. The schoolroom has a refrigerator (for drinks) and a long countertop for work space (laminator, paper cutter, cricut) as well as space for art projects to dry. Cabinets line the wall above the countertop. They store not currently use schoolbooks and resources, painting supplies, etc. The cabinets below store other art supplies and I have 6 legal sized filing drawers for my school and household files. We have a computer desk and another desk, plus a table that seats 6. I also have a little table for Leah and Sam. A piano and art easel plus 2 bookshelves and a “paper cabinet” round out the room. We have a half bath and another small closet in this room too. I took the rocking chair out after I finished nursing Sam, but sometimes I miss it. I put it in my kitchen where I sit and read aloud to the children while they are finishing breakfast. I do the majority of our read aloud time in that kitchen rocking chair or in our den.
    Wow, didn’t mean for this comment to be so long!
    Joyfully,
    Roan :)

Raising Olives Reply:

Hello to all you knitters and would be knitters. If you haven’t looked at http://www.knittinghelp.com then you should. She has video to teach all things knitting.

I’m hoping to post slightly more about knitting, but that means that I actually have to accomplish some projects. I’m working on a pair of FOREVER socks (size 0 needles) for my husband and also am tackling a complex (for me) cabled sweater for myself, so it will be slow going for a while.

Heather @ Twinsanity,
    I either knit, read or blog during rest time (sometimes) or in the evenings. My husband works VERY long hours and so when he is working on his computer during the evenings I usually do one of my hobbies. Also, remember that my kids are older than yours. In some ways that means that some things are easier.

Roan,
    Your school room sounds perfect. How wonderful to be able to design it yourself.

Heather,
    Hoping that you get some rest.

Inadvertent,
    Me too!!

Heidi,
    I also tend to slow way down with knitting during the summer, but it’s starting to get cool and I’m getting the urge again.

10. Mama Mirage (Jessica)
    August 30, 2009 | 3:33 am

Aww that is sooo adorable!!!! I crochet, have been crocheting since… oh wow since I was 8 and that makes it 18 years now! Lol! But my knitting? Yeah no can do. I took knitting lessons when I was 11 because trying to teach myself from a book was not working. Well let’s just my knitting still stinks. I can do a dishcloth and that’s the extent of my expertise. Yeah. If someone says knit I get that deer-in-the-headlights look and think, “Oh crum! But I can’t knit!” But if crochet is mentioned I’m all over it like a duck on a junebug. I have been writing my own crochet patterns since I was in grade school. I wish I was good enough at knitting to try these booties. They look so nice and soft!

11. Deb
    August 30, 2009 | 9:58 pm

A Home Schooler and a Knitter all in one?! My two passions in one place! Thanks for posting this. I would very much be interested in reading more about your knitting. I have been so stressed about getting ready for my first year home schooling, that my knitting has fallen by the wayside. My fingers are itching to start back up – after all school starting is the official start to Christmas Knitting in my mind. And I have a cousin expecting her first baby in January! Hmmmm, I’ll bet these booties take hardly any time at all…..

Raising Olives Reply:

Deb,
    Let me know if you decide to make these. I’d love to see how they turn out and yes, super fast to knit!

12. Heidi
    August 31, 2009 | 12:45 pm

I am knitter, but I tend to only knit in the winter when I am not knee deep in dirt in the garden. This mama only has so much time! I bookmarked this post so I can try these when I get back to knitting once the garden is winterized!

13. Valerie
    September 3, 2009 | 11:17 pm

Do those booties actually stay on the feet? I’m usually skeptical of baby booties, but those look pretty good, so I might have to give them a try. Also about the diapers – I’m expecting again and I’d like to use cloth diapers and I figured you would be the best person to ask. What kind of diapers do you recommend? I’m looking at the one-size Bum Genius right now.
    Valerie (one of your many cousins…)

Raising Olives Reply:

Hi Valerie,
    Yes, these booties stay on babies feet. The pattern has you add a tie, so you tie them on and they don’t fall off. I must have taken that picture before I added the ties so you can’t tell, but they do have ties. I don’t do any booties that don’t tie on, I hate losing footwear!

Just so you know, if you ever have a pair of knit (or crochet) booties, you can always add your own tie. Both knitting and crocheting are loose enough that if you crochet a chain you will be able to thread it through the regular stitching and have yourself some ties to keep those things on the babies feet.

I’m not sure that I’m the best person to ask about diapers, but here are my $.02. First of all we do cloth to save money, so we didn’t buy anything very expensive at all. We use high quality Chinese prefolds and I make wool covers. The prefolds are just the regular flat diapers that our parents or grandparents used, just don’t go get the cheap ones from Wal-Mart. We did buy 2 wool covers for night time use, but now know that my homemade ones work just as well.

I will hopefully do a full post about cloth diapers soon.

Congratulations on another baby!!

14. Mama Mirage (Jessica)
    September 4, 2009 | 10:52 am

Hmmm I tried Prefolds because that’s what my mom had used and lent me some, but had too many problems. I probably wasn’t doing it right or something. I’d love to hear more about how to use them. I just had SOOO much trouble! My mom then bought me some BumGenius to try and I LOVE them. They are good for people like myself who don’t want anything too complicated… Lol! I have never tried the AIO ones, just the pocket one-size ones.

15. rachael goslan
    November 27, 2012 | 11:58 am

Thanks so much, love the pattern :)