Yard Sale Saturday: Trains

I’m posting this (and every) yard sale Saturday a week behind, in other words I found all of these things last week BEFORE Colby’s train birthday.

Mark was out of town camping with the big boys, so I shopped with the 5 girls and 2 boys.  You’ll see that the kids did well with their purchases.brown skirtAnother nice, lined skirt for me $.50.water bottlesCross country season began a few weeks ago and some of the little ones didn’t have their own water bottles so I picked up this pair, two for $.25.side walk chalkAlyssa bought this large box of sidewalk chalk for $2.50.  I had just bought a pack at Wal Mart for $5, so I told her that if she reminds me to return it, I will pay her the $5 that I get back.  She made $2.50 on the deal. :) princess shoesSavannah needed tennis shoes for the winter and these are light-up, PRINCESS shoes (.50).  God is good!  We came home, she put them on and ran outside to play.corn bread cast ironAmber bought this cast iron corn bread pan for $1.duplos

We have never had Duplos before, but our children have always enjoyed playing with them at friends homes.  All these Duplos (and more that I didn’t take out of the box) for $10.Thomas train thingsColby’s birthday is tomorrow and he loves trains.  I found all of these things at different yard sales!  Don’t you love how God provides wants and not just needs?  Thomas Puzzle (.50) Thomas t-shirt (.25) Thomas Duplo set with track ($5).

So for a total of $15.75 Colby wll have an amazing, dream birthday.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

11 Responses to Yard Sale Saturday: Trains
  1. TrenchMommy
    August 15, 2009 | 10:46 am

Wow! I’m impressed! I have never gotten into going to yard sales, not because I don’t want to, but because I’ve just never known how to do it well. We really need a new couch and I’m praying that God will just drop one in my lap. We’ll see what happens!

2. Aimee
    August 15, 2009 | 1:38 pm

What a deal on those princess shoes! And the duplos…my kids LOVE duplos. Even my 11 yr. old will still play with them.

3. Twisted Cinderella
    August 15, 2009 | 2:11 pm

Wow you got some great deals! I wish that there were great garage sales near here.

4. Helen
    August 15, 2009 | 3:15 pm

Warning…that train puzzle is really difficult! My 5 year old has trouble with it!

5. Cardamom
    August 15, 2009 | 9:53 pm

Neat! This week was my turn to go, and although I didn’t get any pictures (because our camera broke), for $22 I bought: 1 ammo can ($3), 1 pair shorts and 1 shirt for JD ($1), 2 old books (complete poems of Keats and Shelley, and A History of the South during Reconstruction – $.50 each), 1 new Singer Sewing Essentials ($2), 1 pair drapes ($3), 1 napkin/salt/pepper holder ($1), 1 mail/keys holder ($1), 2 shovels and 1 cultivator ($7), and 1 brand new pair of rubber boots ($2). Those rubber boots are $15 at Walmart!! At one place they threw in a 10 cent 24-pack of barely used crayons – I just stocked up at 25 cents last week at Walmart… :-) Debi came along and bought one dog story book for 50 cents. It was fun – now I have to wait two weeks to go again.

6. Nicki
    August 15, 2009 | 11:22 pm

What a great deal on Duplos! You find lots of great deals!

7. Rachel
    August 16, 2009 | 12:16 am

I am in awe of your yard sale finds! I wish I was a savvy shopper! I finally got around to making some raingutter shelves in my son’s room, and I love them! They look fantastic, and he has used his books more today than he has in the past month! Check them out at: http://theratliffsblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/raingutter-shelves.html

Raising Olives Reply:

Thanks y’all. Stay tuned next week for a more typical yard sale day for me. :) It comes and goes, don’t get discouraged.

Great finds, Kimarie.

Rachel @ theratliffs,
    Your shelves are lovely, thanks for sharing them.

Rachel @ oneprettything.

Always love links!! Thanks.

8. JenT
    August 16, 2009 | 9:11 pm

You got some great deals!

My great-grandmother used to make cornbread with one of those pans. I always liked eating them in that shape. I guess it was the novelty of it.

My 5 year old loves trains also. He really enjoyed our trip to VA and the museum with all the trains. He likes Thomas, too.

9. Rachel
    August 16, 2009 | 11:15 pm

Great finds! I love that corn pan. I just found your blog via Design Dazzle. I love your gutter shelves! I’d love to link to them if you didn’t mind.

10. Ruth
    August 18, 2009 | 10:56 am

God cares for our little ones, doesn’t he? I haven’t been able to yard sale much at all this year because of a baby with health issues. One of the few toys I found on my infrequent trips was a brand new, shrink-wrapped magic trick card deck. I wasn’t sure who to give it to or when. Days before my sons birthday, there wasn’t much in the way of presents for him and I had no time to shop. Two days before the big day I hear him muse, “I wish I had a magic trick card deck.” Wow! God is good! I pointed out to him how much his heavenly Father cares for him.