Abcteach is an amazing website with a staggering amount of free and membership resources for homeschoolers or anyone who works with children. Do you use unit studies in your homeschool? Textbooks? Lapbooks? Delight directed homeschooling? Enjoy literature based learning? Do one or more of your children have a passion or interest? Do you have a child who struggles with a certain subject? Would you believe it if I told you that abcteach can be useful for anyone who answered yes to at least one of these questions?
As a TOS Crew member, I was given a one month membership to ABCTeach in order to try it out. I generally don’t like busywork/ workbook type activities and thought that this membership would not be a good fit. As I began to explore the site my opinion changed.
What is ABCTeach?
ABCTeach is an online resource for teachers and parents with more than 5,000 free worksheets and printable activities. An abcteach membership gives you access to over 35,000 worksheets and activities with more being added each week and the amazing abctools. Abcteach also sends out a weekly newsletter to keep you up to date on what is being added.
Abctools is a tool that allows you to create custom handwriting and math pages, spelling units, crosswords, word search and more. With pre-made templates or the ability to create your own, the abctools worksheets are completely customizable and give you the ability to create your own complete handwriting or spelling program. With the math worksheets you can give your child the extra drill he needs in specific areas. Custom Sudoku puzzles, word unscrambles and bingo games can add fun to your school day. To get a small taste of abctools, check out the abctools that abcteach offers in their free section. The member abctools are more plentiful and customizable.
Abcteach offers worksheets and activities for every subject, from preschool through eighth grade. They also offer complete unit studies with reading selections, comprehension questions, activity suggestions, file folder games, clip art, signs, etc. There are lots of printable bingo and file folder games, tangrams, work station ideas, math manipulatives, etc. The list just goes on and on and on. Abcteach has a variety of additional activities and study guides for many classic and popular works of literature to supplement your child’s reading program.
All of abcteach’s worksheets and activities are down loadable, so you can save them to your computer and print or reprint as needed.
What I thought.
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Abcteach is a great resource and is versatile for many homeschool styles. Even as a sworn hater of busy work/work sheets, I found it useful and fascinating. So what did we like?
- Train pages for our train-crazy 3 year old. This is perfect because he typically comes to me several times a day asking me to draw a train for him to color. Now I have a variety of train pictures, math sheets, tracing pages, etc. to give him when he feels the need to color a train. I even printed a train alphabet that he will love.
- Bookmarks – I printed and laminated a lovely variety of bookmarks to give as prizes for children who’ve earned extra recognition.
- Paper beads – Have you seen these? You print, laminate, cut-out and hole punch either letters or numbers and symbols and have your child spell and string words or math facts onto yarn. My two little girls love them and we’ve been using them in conjunction with Rocket Phonics to help Colby (3) learn his sounds.
- Unit Studies – Too many to list, but I especially found the science and logic units to be interesting and useful.
- Math manipulatives - Too many to list, terrific for independent math review.
- Tangrams and pattern cards.
- Charting and graphing activities
- Art and craft ideas
Do you remember my goal for our workbox system was to incorporate more fun learning into the children’s school day? Abcteach has given me hundreds to thousands of ideas. I simply print out an activity or game and slip it into a workbox.
For more information or to purchase a membership to abcteach for $40/year or $70/2 years visit abcteach.com.
You may read my other homeschool reviews on my review page.