Freezer Recipes for Once a Month Cooking: Part 1

I promised that I would post some of the meals and recipes that we use for our bulk once a month cooking.  These are some of the recipes that we made in July.  I hope to add the recipes for all of the meals that I listed and I plan on posting our meals and recipes for some of our other months also.

Each of these recipes will make about 10 meals for a family of 6-8 members.  We cook with 5 families so each family gets 2 meals from each recipe.

Balkan Meatballs

eggs  10
milk 2 1/2 cup
oats 3 1/3 cup
salt 2 1/2 Tbsp
sugar 2 1/2 Tbsp
ginger 2 1/2 tsp
nutmeg 2 1/2 tsp
allspice 2 1/2 tsp
g. turkey raw 10 lb
beef raw 1 tube (10lb)
fresh onion 1 bag

Cook before freezing 9 x 7 meatballs per tray.  Yields 5 trays.

Serve day – use for spaghetti, meatball subs, etc.

Beef Tips

beef raw roast 20 lbs. (pre cooked)
cream mush 10 8 can
cream chk  4 can
Sour cream  10 Cup
salt  1 1/2 Tbsp
pepper  1 1/2 Tbsp

Serve day – Heat and serve over pasta or rice.

Calico Beans

Olive Meatloaf

beef raw  2o lbs.
sausage raw  10 lb
salt 2/3 cup
pepper   1/3 cup
fresh onion  1 bag
egg 30
oats  15 cup
tom sauce 15 can
water  1 cup (adjust as necessary)
bell pepper  10 bags

Layer the above meatloaf with:

spinach  7 lg bags
mozzarella  1 lg. bag

Freeze raw.

Serve day – Thaw, cook 350 for 1 hour.  (We found that it usually take a little more than an hour unless you cut in half.)

Shish Kabobs

pork chops  20 lb
fresh onion  1 bag
green chili salsa 40 use all  (I will check on this measurement)
chili powder 1/3 cup
oil   2/3 cup
red wine vinegar 2 1/2 cup
salt  2 1/2 tsp
pepper  1 1/4 tsp
bell pepper 10 at home

Pour marinade over meat and freeze.

Serve day – Thaw, save juice for cooking rice. (We made pork chops instead of Shish Kabobs, so we grilled the chops and cooked the veggies with the rice.)

Chicken Broccoli Casserole

Chicken Strips

salt 1/2 cup
pepper 1/2 cup
chili powder 1/2 cup
bread crumbs (panko) 10 cup
chk raw tenders 40 lb
eggs raw 20 egg
mustard 10 cup
honey 80 tbs

Dredge chicken strips in eggs, mustard and honey.   Then roll is bread crumbs and spice mixture.  Cook before freezing.

Serve day – heat and eat

Chicken Tetrazzini

cream chk 6 can
cream mush 3 can
5oz evap milk light 10 can
parmesan 5 cup
salt 2 Tbsp
pepper 2 Tbsp
chk cook bag (precooked)
ch cheese 1bag

Serve day – Thaw, pour over noodles and cook 350 for 45 minutes.

King Ranch Chicken

fresh onion bag (chopped)
bell pepper 5 bags
mushrooms 10 cans
margarine 5 sticks
cream mush 5 can
cream chick 4 can
tomato green chili 10 can
m. garlic 1/4 cup
chili powder 1 1/4 cup
chick broth 2/3 cup
ch cheese 1 1/2 bag
chk cook bag pre cooked
corn tortillas 120 c tortilla

Saute vegetables.  Add cans, spices and broth.  When thickened add chicken and layer with quartered tortillas and cheese.

Serve day – Thaw and cook at 350 for 1 hour.

Questions about amounts, directions, how we freeze, is something unclear?  Please ask.  I hope that these will be helpful.

How we cook once every 2 months for our family of 12

More OAMC recipes

OAMC beef recipes

OAMC Black Bean Soup

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest11Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

20 Responses to Freezer Recipes for Once a Month Cooking: Part 1
  1. Sandpiper
    October 30, 2009 | 2:59 pm

Hubby and I just did OMC for the first time last weekend and ended up with 30 meals in the freezer. It feels so good to be prepared! I almost don’t want to use them up! My husband likes to cook and so he did a lot of the cooking. Thanks for sharing your recipes, I’ll be sure to keep them in mind when we do it again! You have such great ideas on your blog!

2. Amy
    October 30, 2009 | 5:52 pm

I was just thinking today how nice it would be to start assembling some recipes and doubling up when I cook to put some meals away in the freezer for when our new baby comes in January. I think these recipes (with some adapting to make a meal or 2 for a family of 4!) will be a great start. Thanks!

Or maybe my house full of boys would appreciate 20 lbs of meatballs! Hmmm…. something to consider anyway. ;)

Raising Olives Reply:

Stay tuned. I’m going to redo this post to make the amounts more manageable and I’ll be adding more recipes.

3. Tristan from the Crew
    October 30, 2009 | 8:09 pm

MMmmm – time to try some new recipes. Thank you so much!

4. Kimarie
    October 30, 2009 | 10:36 pm

Thanks, Kimberly! I was just thinking of asking if you were going to post recipes! I’m in the midst of organizing a bulk cooking group here, right now we have ourselves and 2 other families interested. We’re planning to start in January and get it rolling.

Since you’re taking questions :-) I have a few:
    1) Since the meals serve 6-8 people – does your family use both at one meal?
    2) These are just the entrees, right? Do you add other things to complete the meals?

A few of the ingredients could use some clarification – I’m assuming the bags of cheddar cheese are 5 pound bags? Some of the cans could use sizes as well. That will make it easier for people who want to size these recipes down (not our family!). :-)

Raising Olives Reply:

It depends on the meal. I will often do only one freezer meal, but will go heavy on brown rice and side dishes. If I make two meals, we end up being able to have a leftover meal every couple of nights which is also nice.

I’m working on the amounts and hope to update soon.

5. Chantelle
    October 31, 2009 | 8:40 am

Thank you so much for posting some of the recipes!

6. MomStarr
    October 31, 2009 | 6:02 pm

Our problem with many of these types of recipes is dairy. Many of them require too many dairy products and we have three in our family with dairy allergies. I have found some bulk recipes in the past that did not require dairy and enjoyed those when a baby was coming. Does anyone else deal with wheat or dairy allergies and have some good bulk cooking recipes for this? I find substituting wheat is easier than dairy. Thanks!

Raising Olives Reply:

MomStarr – This is probably a great discussion to start in forum. You may get a much better response there.

7. Mama Mirage
    November 1, 2009 | 8:32 am

Yay! Thank you!

8. miss mary
    February 16, 2010 | 12:35 pm

I love these recipes, especially anything with chicken. Yumm. I’m going to copy them ,Thanks for sharing.

9. Barry @ The Hand Blender Site
    November 2, 2010 | 7:33 pm

These are great…

The kids will love these meals & it takes the stress out of cooking getting these meals prepaired at once.

This has never even crossed my mind before.

Thanks for sharing.

10. Emmy
    December 22, 2010 | 6:15 pm

Is there any word on the oamc cooking program that your friends created? I am working on getting a group started and would love the help.

Thanks

11. Kelly
    February 6, 2011 | 5:10 pm

With the “fresh onion 1 bag”…can you clarify that? I am eager to try some of these recipes as my family embarks on this new concept! A little more info on the measurements and we will be ready to go!

Hi Kelly,

That probably translates to about 1 cup of chopped onion. We’re pretty laid back with exact measurements,so if you need anything else clarified please let me know.

12. Kelly
    May 26, 2011 | 9:07 am

Hello!

I was wondering if you could give the recipe for your chicken broccoli casserole. I saw the title but no info. Also, do you have a recipe or directions for how you make your refried beans? Great site, thanks for all your time & effort.

Hi Kelly,

I don’t have the recipe we used for the chicken broccoli casserole, it was one of the ones we didn’t keep in our file since we didn’t love how it froze.

No recipe for the refried beans. We just cook the beans (usually pinto) then mash and adding salt to taste and cooking water as necessary. :)

13. Lucy
    October 21, 2011 | 4:37 pm

This is amazing. I was reading some of your recipes where the ingredients are listed as a 1/4 cup of this and 1/2 a cup of that (of course not really thinking much about the fact that you multiply those amounts by 10 to get enough for all of the families involved until I got to this blog entry) What an endeavor. A friend of mine and I get together and do some freezer cooking “once in a while” but this is simply fantastic! I’ve been totally inspired to do this on a larger scale and to try more than just the standard lasagna or perogies. Thanks for sharing.

14. Karri
    January 15, 2013 | 3:06 pm

Hi, I was linked here by my married daughter. We are going to be doing some oamc, i have a question about the program you use to calculate the amounts of things in your recipes. Please tell us what it is, it would make doing this much easier. Also how does soup freeze, how do you freeze soup?? thanks – Karri :)

Hi Karri,

The program that we use to calculate amounts was programmed specifically for this purpose by one of the ladies in our group.

We generally freeze soup with half the water/liquid in gallon size freezer bags. Since most soups we make call for chicken broth as the liquid, we cook our chicken broth waaay down so that it’s concentrated and put in half the amount called for and freeze that way. Then when it’s time to serve the soup we add water.