Lord I believe, Help my unbelief

The sermon a few Sundays ago triggered these thoughts and I thought that I would try to express what I’m thinking.  I’m much better at communicating bare facts and information, not so great at thoughts and emotions, so please bear with me.

“Lord I believe, Help thou my unbelief.”  This is a prayer that I often find myself praying.  Is it just me?  I find that nearly every difficulty, every trouble in my life boils down to my unbelief, my lack of rock solid, to-the-death faith in my Lord.

I’m not saying that I won’t have any trials if I simply believe, that everyone I love would be healthy or that the car wouldn’t break down.  I am saying that my discontent, my worry, my wrong actions are often rooted in my basic unbelief.

• If I believed, really believed, that  God is in control then I wouldn’t worry about tomorrow, I would be content to wait on His timing.
  • If I really believed that He loved me, I would not ask “why me?”.
  • If I believed that He rewards obedience and punishes disobedience, I wouldn’t be tempted to take things into my own hands, I would be content to be obedient and faithful and allow Him to deal with others as He sees fit.
  • If I believed that he was all powerful, I wouldn’t be tempted to fight for His honor and glory through means that He has not ordained.
  • If I believed that He was all that I needed, I wouldn’t ask for more.

The sermon was another of the constant reminders of my sin and lack of simple, child-like faith.  Lord help me to say, like Job, “I know that my Redeemer lives” and allow that to be enough for me.

You may be interested in reading Pray without Ceasing or Pray for your Kids.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest1Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

24 Responses to Lord I believe, Help my unbelief
  1. Gapgirl
    October 13, 2009 | 10:01 am

Thank you. Well said
    XoxoGapGirl

2. Sheila
    October 13, 2009 | 11:10 am

I can’t tell you how often I have prayed that (I believe Lord, help my unbelief). I think it’s because I believe enough to realize how much more there is, and how much I want/need it. It’s as though I have a glimpse of what is out there, and it’s breathtaking, and I don’t quite have it yet. But I also feel that it’s a statement of trust, in that I am saying I want to give myself over more to God. Draw me in, please!

Raising Olives Reply:

Sheila – Yes I agree that this is a statement of trust in the midst of my weakness. “God, please help me!” is my plea, I can’t do it myself.

Celee – Thanks for the recommendation!

3. celee
    October 13, 2009 | 11:12 am

We did the study Battling Unbelief by John Piper last year and my first thought before we started was that I didn’t have a problem with unbelief. I have lots of other struggles, but not with unbelief. Boy, were my eyes opened during the course of that study! I had failed to connect my sin problem with unbelief. Unbelief that delight in God really is better. Unbelief that I really have been freed from bondage to sin. Unbelief that God really is going to do what He’s promised. etc, etc. I highly recommend this life-changing Bible study and his DVDs that accompany it.

4. Kathi
    October 13, 2009 | 1:01 pm

So, So true.

5. Kimarie
    October 13, 2009 | 4:34 pm

Very true, and you are not alone. Hebrews 11:6 comes to mind, “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” When it comes right down to it, so often I act as if there is not a sovereign God. Then, too, I fail in my diligence when it gets tough, as though God is not a rewarder of diligent seeking! Thank you for sharing this reminder, Kimberly. Isn’t it amazing how reading about others’ struggles gives you strength to face your own?!

6. Mrs. White
    October 13, 2009 | 4:52 pm

This was refreshing to read here.

blessings
    Mrs. White

7. Rachel
    October 13, 2009 | 7:52 pm

Thanks for this timely reminder! Thanks Celee for the Piper recommendation!

8. Rachel
    October 13, 2009 | 8:51 pm

Amen, Sister! Lord, have mercy on us.

9. angelia
    October 14, 2009 | 6:52 am

i frequently say this prayer-my 11 yr old son is bipolar, and with all the struggles he has now and the ones that i foresee about that may or may not come up in his future, i know that my God DOES NOT MAKE MISTAKES, but i have to remind myself of this everyday. i know that He knows what is best for me, what is best for my son, and i try so hard to have an attitude of gratitude, to thank Him for what i don’t understand. i take comfort in knowing that Jesus came down in the flesh, and in all things was tempted so that He can be our advocate to the Father. God is good. much love to you sister-i’m glad to know that i’m not the only one that struggles. thank you for your post.

10. Tara
    October 15, 2009 | 4:59 pm

What a great reminder! I heard it once said that the hard part is not believing IN Christ, it is BELIEVING Christ. So true. So true.

11. But Momma
    October 15, 2009 | 6:30 pm

Wow…after loosing my job yesterday…this totally hits home. Thanks for the reminder.

Raising Olives Reply:

You’re welcome. I’m sorry about your job.

12. darci
    October 16, 2009 | 7:52 am

Oh, I’m there with you! I pray that so often… and the Spirit reminds me that that regardless of the man’s unbelief, the Lord did help him and healed! I can tend to fall into condemnation and beating myself up for my unbelief… and I love how God reminds me that He understands and still healed. He is so faithful. I feld led to mention a book by Beth Moore , Praying God’s Word. I just love it as a resource, and she has a chapter on Unbelief with scriptures / prayers that I have used to pray outloud (and many other chapters on other subjects). Keep on being real! you’re a blessing to me
    darci

Raising Olives Reply:

Thank you Darci. I will have to look into that book, it sounds like it would be a great resource.

13. Shannon
    October 19, 2009 | 6:02 pm

Thank you for sharing. Very powerful and very true.

14. Kelly
    October 31, 2009 | 10:16 pm

Thanks for the reminder…. Amen, sister!

15. jenb
    November 10, 2009 | 9:18 am

I click the link from Homeschool blog awards (just now) to see what ur blog is about. Then, I can’t seem to stop reading your posts.

I am blessed by your sharing of christian thoughts. Its like sharing God’s words to us. Pls post more of this.

May God use you, your family and your blog more for His glory.

Raising Olives Reply:

Thank you for your encouragement.

Blessings to you and your family!

16. Lindsay
    June 14, 2010 | 10:10 pm

You need to listen to a song by the Jeff Berry Band called “Prayer”. It is beautiful and says exactly what you are feeling. I love this song. I can’t find a YouTube clip or I would like it. It’s on ITunes.

17. Lindsay
    June 14, 2010 | 10:12 pm
  18. Can I Trust God? | Raising Olives
    August 31, 2010 | 7:48 am

[…] Lord we believe, help Thou our unbelief.  Sometimes believing feels like stepping off a cliff. […]

19. Martha
    March 2, 2011 | 4:36 pm

Here is the link to the song prayer by Jeff Berry Band:
    The section Music shows their CDs. It’s on their newest CD. Select the CD and it will allow you to listen to the songs. Here are the lyrics:
    PRAYER