Christmas Ornament Tutorial: Kids Can Make This

Each year the children like to make gifts to hand out to everyone who comes over to our home during the month of December.  When my friend Betsy, came to our Mom’s Meeting (our topic was Christmas gifts), brought these cute ornaments and told us how to make them, I knew that this is what we would make for this year.

This project is simple enough that even our 3 year old was able to create his own sweet ornaments and the results are charming enough that people will enjoy having them on their tree.

Materials needed:

• Rubber stamps
  • Dominoes
  • Permanent Markers
  • Ribbon (We used 1/4″ and 1/8″.  The 1/8″ left some of the glue exposed around the edges.)
  • Glue (We used this zips adhesive.  It’s like hot glue only already in a strip you just peel and place where you want it.)
  • Permanent, all-surface ink for the stamps

How to:

1. Stamp or let big kids stamp the back of a domino with a holiday or seasonal stamp.  (The original ornaments that I saw used vertical stamps, but we had horizontal ones and they worked nicely.)
  2. Have the children color in the picture with the permanent markers.
  3. Place a strip of glue around the outside edge of the domino.
  4. Cut a 12″ piece of ribbon.  Center the ribbon at the bottom of domino and press the ribbon into the glue all the way around.
  5. Tie a double knot at the top center of domino.
  6. Tie another double knot at the ribbon ends to form a loop to hang the ornament.

We have a table tree on a table in our entry way and have decorated it with our domino ornaments.  Whenever our guests are preparing to leave we ask them to please pick an ornament to take with them.

If you prefer a more elegant look, mom can stamp and color.  🙂

What simple gifts have your kids made for friends or family?

For more ideas and do-it-yourself tutorials visit my tutorial page.

Share on Facebook15Pin on Pinterest1.3kEmail this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

49 Responses to Christmas Ornament Tutorial: Kids Can Make This
  1. Diane
    December 9, 2009 | 7:32 am

That is such a wonderful idea! They look so professional because of the stamp.
    Blessings,
    Diane

2. The Activity Mom
    December 9, 2009 | 8:11 am

Those are REALLY cute!

3. Tina
    December 9, 2009 | 9:06 am

How cute. What a great idea. I will definitely have to adopt this one for our family. Thnaks for sharing and giving instructions as well. I’m a big fan and love your site!

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

4. Amanda Sikes
    December 9, 2009 | 9:12 am

My kids and I have made applesauce/cinnamon ornaments, Popsicle Christmas trees, and paper plate snowmen this year. Plus we have used the glass ornaments from Micheal’s craft store and filled them with different colors of Christmas paper (we used scrapbooking paper) we rolled or folded the paper strips and then dropped them into the ornaments. These turned out very pretty and elegant and were very cheap to make! I love the domino idea. I will have to try that some time. Thanks for sharing.

We also like those cinnamon ornaments and the glass ornaments sound like another fun idea!

5. thesleepyknitter
    December 9, 2009 | 9:51 am

ooo, love those ornaments! Super cute! Thank you for the great idea.

6. Jenny
    December 9, 2009 | 10:25 am

I love the ornaments, but I especially love the idea of giving them out to visitors! What a great lesson for the kids!

7. kim
    December 9, 2009 | 10:41 am

So cute! I love that you give them out to visitors. I also love ornaments that are not breakable. Your kids colored these? Wow.

We have yet to put ornaments on our tree this year because of our rowdy 14mos old and new puppy, but we did make some ornaments out of metallic pipe cleaners and hung them on the tree.

Yes, the kids colored. You should see Colby’s orange tribute. I forgot to get a picture of it. It’s a whole row of orange snowmen. It’s probably my favorite of all. Hope none of our visitors take it. 😉

8. Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads
    December 9, 2009 | 11:40 am

Those are very cute. We did ornaments this week as well.

9. Chrissy
    December 9, 2009 | 12:34 pm

Super neat.

10. Jelli
    December 9, 2009 | 1:57 pm

Cute! Cute! Cute! What an original ornament idea.

11. Stephanie
    December 9, 2009 | 3:50 pm

Adorable! And you are very brave…little ones with permanent markers 😉

LOL. Actually, we did most of the coloring with paint shirts on, then I realized I hadn’t gotten any pictures of the kids coloring. So, I briefly gave them a marker to color one more ornament so I could snap a shot. So you see, I’m not really THAT brave. 🙂

12. Ashley @ mothershideaway
    December 9, 2009 | 4:28 pm

Oh what a wonderful idea!! We have been working this week on Christmas Tree ornaments. My husband cut them out of lightweight wood and my 4 year old has painted them green so far. We’ll put a picture of the kids in the middle and my son will decorate with gel paint pens. We’re using red & white “candy cane” yarn for the holder. I’m looking forward to seeing them done! We will have to try this next year, thanks for sharing!

Those ornaments sound so nice. We painted wood ornaments one year, but they were just some that I’d picked up at a craft store. Love including a picture.

13. Fifth Street Mama
    December 9, 2009 | 5:31 pm

Oh what a great idea! Those are so cute!

14. *Mirage*
    December 9, 2009 | 6:01 pm

K that’s an awesome idea and I’m so going to steal it! 😀

I’m giving it to you, so no need to “steal”. 🙂 They are so much fun, hope that you enjoy them.

15. the inadvertent farmer
    December 9, 2009 | 9:06 pm

Those are just darling…good job guys! Kim

16. Bekki
    December 9, 2009 | 9:48 pm

What a great Idea! We just might be able to do this as I all ready have most of the supplies and my children love to do crafts.

17. Stephanie
    December 9, 2009 | 10:57 pm

These are too cute. I have seen dominoes at thrift stores pretty often too 😀

18. Stephanie
    December 9, 2009 | 11:00 pm

or we could use the pieces left from the set my kids lost.

We NEVER loose pieces to dominoes or any other games. *ahem* (which is why I bought a new set of dominoes and we used our old set for these ornaments.)

19. Lindsay
    December 9, 2009 | 11:13 pm

Those are very cute. I also love the tree at your front door for people to choose an ornament from. What a great idea

Thanks, does that mean you’ll come visit? 🙂

20. Joy
    December 9, 2009 | 11:42 pm

Goodness you are creative! I’m bookmarking this one for next year! We already did so many homemade ornaments and I’m out of money. So definitely want to do this next year!

No, remember I’m a good copycat. My friend Betsy? Now she’s creative! You should see the books that her kids have made, AMAZING!

21. But Momma
    December 9, 2009 | 11:55 pm

These are adorable!! What a great idea!

22. Gae
    December 10, 2009 | 6:49 am

This is so creative. I love it when the children show their creative side.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings

23. Young Wife
    December 10, 2009 | 12:09 pm

These are so cute! Thanks for sharing. My mother and I made sugar hand scrubs for several women this Christmas.

Is there a particular recipe you used for the sugar scrubs? That sounds like a fun project.

24. Sheri
    December 15, 2009 | 9:20 am

What a wonderful idea!!!!

25. valerie
    December 19, 2009 | 5:30 pm

thanks for sharing this lovely idea. I so appreciate it when you take the time to show us these things. love it.
    val

Of course you’re welcome. Thanks! 🙂

26. Tania @ Larger Family Life
    January 6, 2010 | 9:58 am

What a great idea. I hope I don’t forget it by next year though!

27. […] these ones require a little bit more crafty supplies (stamps can be expensive) but oh my goodness they […]

28. oh amanda
    November 30, 2010 | 11:09 pm

LOVE THIS! What a great idea to let your friends take them home. Great great idea!

29. Sherry
    December 1, 2010 | 11:05 am

What an adorable idea for an ornament! 🙂 <3 it!

30. […] Star Ornaments from Little Dear TracksLightbulb Snowman Ornaments from Faith-Filled DaysHand-Stamped Domino Ornaments from Raising OlivesDo you have a fun and frugal Christmas DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear […]

31. Nike@ChooseToThrive
    December 1, 2010 | 2:04 pm

Oh. for. cute! Adorable!

32. Mary Williams
    December 3, 2010 | 10:10 am

Love these! They are too cute! I featured them on my friday favorites!

33. Sara
    December 5, 2010 | 2:20 pm

What an awesome idea! I was searching for an ornament to make in mass quantities and this was perfect. With a little modification, I was able to make 250 of these in just 2 days. These will be given as a holiday memento to the members of my husband’s Air Force squadron. Thank you for the inspiration!

34. Holly
    December 25, 2010 | 11:54 am

How cute! Will have to be on the lookout for white dominos … all I can remember seeing are black ones. May try these out to donate to next year’s Santa’s Workshop sale for Navy Marine Corp Relief Society.
    Holly-
    hollyberryelf.blogspot.com; belpassoandbeyond.blogspot.com

35. Cinda
    August 17, 2011 | 9:48 pm

My friend came across you suggestion for an ornament. I really like these. I have been looking for stamps to use but have been unable to find cute ones that will fit on a domino. Can you tell me where you got your stamps from? I am going to try and make them for Christmas this year.

36. kristine
    September 6, 2011 | 12:37 pm

What do you cover the face of the original domino with?

Nothing. 🙂

37. sandy
    November 17, 2016 | 4:08 pm

I really like your dominos, and would like my group to make them. We cannot find these stamps in area stores online. can you help?