Jammie-Drill!

I mentioned in the Raising Olives Community that one of our family traditions this time of year (and actually this is a tradition that we do year round) is jammie-drills.

Jama @ Life in a Full Shoe said, “Ok, I want to know what “jammie-drills” are.”

Funny thing is, I thought that Jama’s family is where we first heard about jammie-drills, I guess not.  This idea is not original to us, we stole borrowed it from someone else, I just don’t remember who.   🙂

Here is how to conduct a jammie-drill.  The children get ready for bed and get into bed as usual.  The house stays quiet for 5-10 minutes and then dad grabs the car keys and shouts. “Jammie Drill!  Jammie Drill!”  The children leap out of bed and pick up the cry, “Jammie Drill!  Jammie Drill!”  They grab any younger siblings who may be nearly asleep (or in fact asleep, but we try to avoid that) and head out to the car in their “jammies”.

Now a proper  jammie-drill involves swinging by a fast food drive-in, picking up milkshakes and eating them while driving around, enjoying being up past bedtime and talking.  However, our practical side has taken over.  We currently head to the Food City parking lot and the children and I wait in the car while dad goes and buys ice cream and sometimes fun toppings, then we head home to eat it.  Not nearly as romantic (or easy) as the drive-in with mom and dad in their pajamas too, but much more budget friendly.

So what family traditions do you have that we can steal adopt?

I’ve posted more ideas for having fun with your kids.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest1Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

38 Responses to Jammie-Drill!
  1. Barbara
    December 3, 2009 | 8:42 am

I love this idea! I bet it is even more fun when you can drive around and look at Christmas lights!
    We have a Christmas eve tradition. The night before (12/23), the boys sprinkle flour on the counter and put pennies in it. When they wake up on Christmas Eve, the pennies are gone and there are Elf-prints in the flour. New PJs for that night and a book (usually Christ related) is left for the bedtime story. My husband had the Elves visit him when he was little, too!

Oh, this may be an idea that we “borrow”. When we were kids we would pick up the kitchen or make breakfast, something special for my mom, and then tell her that the “elves” did it. love the idea of the elves coming 12/23 with gifts!

2. Kelli
    December 3, 2009 | 8:56 am

Kim, this reminds me a little bit of a tradition that Kandice and Landon have that we will be stealing this year. They make hot chocolate for everyone in the family, load up the van, and drive around looking at christmas lights, sometime close to Christmas.

3. bunny
    December 3, 2009 | 9:24 am

I never taught you that, I was just too practical and boring.

I had an amazing and joy-filled childhood.

4. celee
    December 3, 2009 | 9:29 am

My version of a jammie drill is not nearly as fun as yours. Our jammie drill is when we get home from church on Wed nights and it’s already after 8:30 and I want the kids in bed ASAP, so I set the timer in the kitchen and have them race and see how fast they can brush their teeth, put on their pjs and get in bed with the lights out. There is often a small prize like a marshmallow or something.

Cop Mama Reply:

Celee, I love this idea! This would so speed up the process with my little guys. Thanks for the idea 🙂

JoyFilledMom Reply:

LOVE this!! I am usually wiped out Wednesday nights and the kids are crazy because we just left church! I will try this one tomorrow night!

My hubby will love the jammie-drill. He is more of the crazy type. This would be great for Christmas lights!

What great ideas. I love this site!

God bless.

Well, we have those types of Jammie drills also and they are a lot more frequent. 🙂

5. Jenny
    December 3, 2009 | 9:48 am

This is the COOLEST idea EVER!! I Love it! What a memory for the kiddos 😉 We always love to pile in the car and drive around for at least an hour looking at Christmas lights in all the neighborhoods- maybe we could put the two together!!!

Love the idea of looking at Christmas lights, but then you may need to use hot chocolate rather than ice cream.

6. Kristen
    December 3, 2009 | 10:31 am

How fun!

Your post reminded me of some places I miss from Kingsport. (I know that’s not where you live…)
    Food City and Pals. I would really love a chipped ham and cheese sandwich right now.

*sigh* We miss Pals. As often as we can when we go back we try to grab some Pals food. Mmmm, peachy tea!

We have Food City here in Knoxville and still shop there.

7. TrenchMommy
    December 3, 2009 | 11:02 am

Sounds like fun! I will have to *steal* this from you! 😉

8. Dawn
    December 3, 2009 | 11:03 am

This does sound fun. I like the idea of a jammie drill to look at Christmas lights. I read on another blog- I can’t remember which one- each time one of their children completes the 10 Commandments portion of the Shorter Catechism they have a jammie drill. The older kids know it’s coming but play along.

9. Elizabeth
    December 3, 2009 | 11:13 am

This reminds me of something similar we do called a Pajama Ride. you can read about it here: http://yes-theyre-all-ours.blogspot.com/2008/12/pajama-ride.html

It is so much fun to make memories with our families!

10. Kelly @ Wisdom Begun
    December 3, 2009 | 11:20 am

I LOVE this idea. I am so sending this to my hubby. Our kids would just love us for it!

11. Tonya
    December 3, 2009 | 2:38 pm

So very much fun! We are for sure borrowing (stealing) this.

I’m giving you the idea, so you don’t have to steal it. 🙂

12. Ashley
    December 3, 2009 | 3:54 pm

We are totally “stealing” that idea too! That sounds like so much fun! We have big loaded nachos on Sunday nights and let the kids have fun drinks (soda or chocolate milk, etc). Sundays are such long days for our little ones that we wanted to do something special…

Good idea. We usually have a light dinner on Sunday, but incorporating something special for the kids is a great thought.

13. Jenny in Ca
    December 3, 2009 | 4:00 pm

that is a really fun tradition! I’m thinking it would be nice for looking at Christmas lights. Love this, we are going to have to do it, my kids would just eat it up!

14. Amy
    December 3, 2009 | 4:19 pm

Sent this to my husband…this is right up our alley! Can’t wait to do this! Sounds like so much fun and definitely a memory-maker!
    Amy

15. thesleepyknitter
    December 3, 2009 | 4:26 pm

Wow, that sounds like so much fun, and definitely a tradition to start at our house, although I think I would add a tour of local Christmas lights. Do the milkshakes cause sleep problems later?

We haven’t noticed any problems, but our kids are champion sleepers.

16. Susan
    December 3, 2009 | 4:42 pm

Not sure if this is where it originated, but I first heard of the “Jammie Ride” idea in a column by Nancy Wilson in Credenda/Agenda. FUN!

17. *Mirage*
    December 3, 2009 | 8:12 pm

Oh wow what memories this brought back! When I was 10 or 11 we were friends with a large family (6 kids then – more now) who did Pajama drills and sometimes when we slept over at their house they did one. It was always so much fun! It rubbed off too and my mom started doing them with us sometimes too. Until we moved out to the middle of the deep dark woods when I was nearly 13. But for a couple years we got to do those Pajama Drills and it was a blast.

The family we got it from owns a drive in so Pajama Drills meant milkshakes at the drive in. 🙂 Oddly my husband and I now live again in the same town where I lived as a kid. we should take the kids for a pajama drill there for tradition’s sake… 🙂 Great memories!

Owning a drive-in would be super convenient for Jammie drills! Wonderful memories.

18. jmcleod6
    December 4, 2009 | 8:14 am

I’m afraid if my children read your blog, they are going to run away to your house. :0) You all just have way too much fun (sarcasm). Enjoy them while they are still young and not in college and headed in every direction and inconsistently make it to the supper table. It gets harder to keep those traditions.

I see that day coming way too quickly. Oh and if they ever decide to run away, they are certainly welcome here, but warn them that there is a lot of work that goes along with the perks, especially when momma’s pregnant.

19. valerie
    December 4, 2009 | 8:17 pm

so special. I do this on occasion too but I dont have a name for it. I am a military wife, so it’s especially important during deployments. my husband is gone so muchm, we have to make the best of the time without him, so me and the kids find all sorts of mischief to get into while he is gone. That way we don’t focus too much on how hard it is without him. 🙂 the kids love the late night car rides and slushies from sonic.

20. Missy
    December 4, 2009 | 11:36 pm

THat sounds like fun. We used to do something similar when are older ones were little. Need to start that back up again. Wuld love to see a post from you on christmas and the way you handle presents. We are trying each year to do better. This year the gifts need to be something special. No reason to give out a bunch of junk, ya know. I want each gift to really have some special meaning and not just a want. I have noticed in the past few years since we got rid of cable and TV this gets so much easier. When people ask me how to not go overboard when they beg for everything I always say get rid of the TV!!! Enjoying your blog. Missyin Cleveland, TN

In case I don’t get a post up about Christmas presents etc. Mark and I get each child one gift. Our children each select a gift for ONE of their siblings. (They usually save up birthday and/or Christmas money to buy presents.) Mark and I also do a stocking for each child.

We set a specific budget for both the stocking and the gift, depending on our overall budget and stick strictly with that. Last year was $25 for the gift and $10 for the stocking.

21. Young Wife
    December 5, 2009 | 6:47 pm

How fun! When my brothers and I were growing up, my parents did something really neat leading up to Easter. We read about Moses, the plagues, and the Passover in the Bible and had some activity to go with the reading each night. One night there were plastic frogs we played with. One night we threw paper crumpled into balls at each other for hail.

That sounds like a great way to help kids remember God bringing His people out of Egypt. I hope I remember this when spring rolls around.

22. […] not just forgetful and scatter brained, I share some fun family ideas like jammie drills and cool projects like homemade chalkboard paint along with lots of homeschool information! Series […]

23. John @ apauper.com
    June 28, 2010 | 10:50 pm

I love this idea. I first heard about the idea of a “Pajama Adventure” as we call it, in Kent and Barbara Hughes’ book “Disciplines of a Godly Family” in which they credit a Dr. Bob Smith with the idea.(pg 38 if you are interested)
    We have had several memorable Pajama Adventures and my daughter is always wondering when we are going on the next one. Maybe time for one soon …..

24. […] that our family does every year during the holidays.  We have a marshmallow war,  we go on a Jammie Drill, we decorate Christmas cookies, make gingerbread houses and do lots and lots of […]