Monogrammed Burlap Pillows: Kids Can Make This

Here is another gift that our younger children (1, 3, 4, 6 and 7 year old) are making for family this year.  (Don’t worry, I warned the family who regularly reads my blog not to read this week, so hopefully no surprises will be ruined.)

I saw this at We are THAT Family and once again knew that this was one that we would tackle.  Kristen posted a complete DIY tutorial, so head over there if this is something that you want to tackle or book mark it for next year.

Here is how the children helped with the process.  The kids designed the letters to monogram using Microsoft Word.   They enjoy clicking print and watching the printer go.  The 6 and 7 year old cut the pillow shapes out of the burlap.  All of them were able to do the following steps.

Painting the monograms onto the burlap.

Stuffing the pillows.

Unraveling the edges of the burlap.

These ended up being inexpensive, cute, and fun gifts for our little ones to make.  We made about 7 or 8 and they ended up costing less than a dollar each.

There are a lot of possibilities with this.  You could make the pillows spell something or put a full message on one.  Get creative, this is quick and easy!

Did you see my tutorial for making Christmas ornaments out of dominoes?  It’s also a great idea for kids to make as gifts!

Share on Facebook8Pin on Pinterest52Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

13 Responses to Monogrammed Burlap Pillows: Kids Can Make This
  1. the inadvertent farmer
    December 10, 2009 | 9:53 am

Those are great…I’ve got burlap too! Guess I know what we’ll be doing later. If I get them done I’ll link back here! Kim

2. Heather
    December 10, 2009 | 10:39 am

For someone as sick with morning sickness as you, you really know how to delegate! Wonderful idea!

Delegate and take your time. We worked on these for over a week, a little at a time. 🙂

3. Tina
    December 10, 2009 | 10:52 am

LOVE this. I’ve been wondering what we could make for our family this year for Christmas and I’m so excited to finally know. Thank you so much.

4. TrenchMommy
    December 10, 2009 | 11:42 am

Very Nice! Love this idea!

5. Amanda Sikes
    December 10, 2009 | 12:14 pm

Super cute idea! I will be bookmarking these for next year.

6. Brandie
    December 10, 2009 | 12:40 pm

Those are so cute!! We are so going to have to make some of those. We are off track right now and a little bored with all this snow and temp in the teens! GRRR.

It’s cold here too, but up in the 20’s not teens. The kids asked to go outside a million times (yes, I’m exaggerating) yesterday. I probably should have let them, they would have come in if it was too cold.

7. Allyson
    December 10, 2009 | 12:58 pm

Wonderful and beautiful!

8. Chrissy
    December 10, 2009 | 4:56 pm

Very cool. Where do you get the burlap?

You can find burlap at nearly any fabric store. It also comes in a lot of colors like red and green, etc. (Who knew?) Anyhow, we bought ours at Wal-Mart.

9. Courtney Prudhomme
    December 13, 2009 | 9:21 am

that is a great idea that even my youngest could do.. and it wouldn’t have to be monagramed. You could make all sorts of different templates for them to use..and with this economy you gotta love inexpensive gifts.

10. […] Monogrammed burlap pillows […]