Read through the Bible in 90 Days: Will You Join Me?

Have you ever read through the entire Bible?   Wouldn’t you love to do it this year?  I’m offering you a chance to join me as I join other bloggers and we read through the Bible in 90 days.  I realize that this will take commitment on your part, but you’re a Christian so you’ve already given your whole life to Christ. This is just an hour a day.   🙂  You should plan on spending between 45 minutes and an hour 15 minutes reading each day.  The Challenge will begin January 1 and we will finish reading on March 31.

Why I’m joining the challenge.

The Bible is THE standard by which I am to live, it is God’s Word, God speaking to me.  My most important relationship is my relationship with my God and Savior (even though I often don’t act like it).  This gives me the opportunity to re-prioritize, to set aside the time to build my relationship with Him.  I don’t think that an hour and 15 minutes each day is too much time to listen to Him.  It’s been said, that the Bible is God speaking to us and prayer is us responding to Him.  Both are vital.

A couple years ago, I joined a challenge to read through the New Testament in one month.  There is something about reading through the passages at an accelerated rate that gives you a different perspective, a wider overview of the big picture in scripture.  I like the idea of doing that with the whole Bible.

While we usually read through the Bible over the course of a year, I often get distracted and find myself needing to “catch up”.  With going through in 90 days I’m going to have to be more focused and more committed to getting my time in every day. I think that getting into the habit of not skipping days will be terrific for me.  I also like the fact that I will be held accountable by others.  So will you consider joining me?

I’ve posted before about how we’ve made Bible reading a priority in our homeschool and how we help our children read through the Bible each year.  This year our older children will be joining me in this challenge and I’d love to have you along.  Let’s help each other along and hold each other accountable.

So how do we accomplish this goal of reading through the Bible in 90 days?  Mom’s Toolbox has a great post about how to do this.  She recommends purchasing The 90 Day Bible.  However, since we will have several participants in our home, we are going to use this downloadable schedule and our own Bibles.

I will post about my progress periodically and we can discuss what we are reading in the Raising Olives community.  So here’s my challenge to you: Will join me and read through the Bible in 90 days?  Will you help hold me accountable?

Please leave a comment and let me know if you’d like to participate.

We’re doing it again times 3,  Bible in 90 Days 2011.

Share on Facebook6Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

65 Responses to Read through the Bible in 90 Days: Will You Join Me?
  1. Mrs. White
    December 23, 2009 | 8:44 am

I really love this idea. I printed out the downloadable schedule. I am thinking about this, but not sure yet.

When my children were younger, we had a program where we would read the Bible through 4 times a year. Maybe this, being harder, might get us back into that habit.

2. Meghan Tucker
    December 23, 2009 | 9:09 am

I really really really love this idea! I am going to print the schedule as well. Thank you!

3. Dawn
    December 23, 2009 | 9:43 am

I’m considering it, too. I can’t start on the 1st because we will be traveling that day. I can’t read in the car; it makes me sick. I can adjust the dates though. Gonna talk to my hubby and I’ll let you know. Thanks for the challenge!

4. Chantelle
    December 23, 2009 | 10:11 am

I am up for the challenge. I have already ordered a Bible from Amazon because I read that there is a higher success rate using the 90 day Bible. I am a little nervous about sticking to it, I think that doing it together will keep me accountable. I hope. 🙂

I’m planning on trying to keep talking about this, so that everyone is held accountable, myself included. Thanks for joining in.

5. Kimberlyb
    December 23, 2009 | 10:13 am

I think this is a great idea I have never read the whole bible and we actually don’t own one I am ashamed to say, I will need to purchase one. I am thinking maybe of doing this as a bedtime story for my girls.

Oh Kimberlyb. I think that you should do it. It will be a long reading if you read it out loud, but I certainly think that you should join us on this one. 🙂 We’ll try to all keep each other going.

6. Tina
    December 23, 2009 | 10:22 am

YES! I am totally up for the challenge and welcome the opportunity. I’m actually quite excited about it. Thanks for sharing. I will also present this to my older children and see if they are up for the challenge. I’m looking forward to what God wants to show me in those 90 days. Thanks again and I love being accountable with someone 🙂

Thanks for joining in Tina! I’m not sure which of my older children are going to do this. My husband and 13 year old daughter have committed. The others will either read through in a year as they normally do, or do the accelerated plan with us. I hope to get some definite answers today. Let me know which of your children are going to do it. I plan on posting the names of participants to try to help with accountability. (Of course if you or they don’t want their names posted that’s fine too.)

7. Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads
    December 23, 2009 | 11:52 am

I was originally put off by having to purchase yet another version of the Bible. Now, I don’t mind having several different versions around the house, but we don’t need another NIV Bible in the house. KWIM? If you’re doing it with your own Bible, I will seriously think about this. 🙂 I’m off to look at the schedule.

I do know what you mean about having yet another Bible around the house. When they posted the schedule I was very, very happy and that is what we will be using here.

Let me know if you decide this is something that you wish to do.

8. Sheri
    December 23, 2009 | 12:01 pm

I would really enjoy joining in.. Just printed the schedule.. Sounds great 🙂

Thanks for joining in Sheri. I plan on posting a few more details today about how we will go through this together. I look forward to your help and encouragement.

9. Mrs. White
    December 23, 2009 | 12:37 pm

I’ve thought about this throughout the day and decided not to do it. When my children and I read the Bible four times a year, we did 8 chapters in the morning and 8 in the evening. It was fine, at the time, because I had so many children that were able to help with the reading. We took turns with the chapters and it was wonderful.

At this point in my life,I only have a couple of readers left here at home. I like what we are doing right now. We read one chapter together as a family and then we do our own private studies on our own. So, I am doing 3 chapters a day, plus everything else I have to do. To take on more than that would be stressful, and that is not the attitude I want to have when reading the Scared Scriptures!

Thanks for the idea and getting me thinking!

Blessings
    Mrs. White

Thanks for considering this Mrs. White. We’ve never read through the whole Bible aloud with all the children. We’ve always had them read through independently and we’ve done more in depth study as a family. Reading through the whole thing as a family is a good thought. Thanks for sharing.

10. MacKenzie
    December 23, 2009 | 12:48 pm

Oh I am so excited that you are doing this too! I just recently found your blog (and LOVE it!) so I am super pumped that you are in too!

11. Smockity Frocks
    December 23, 2009 | 1:14 pm

I’m so glad you’re doing this too! I expect to be looking for some serious encouragement along the way.

Me too! I hoping to post and update each Sunday with a Mr. Linky so that every one can link up if they posted. I suppose the one thing about committing to post about this is that I’d better keep up!!!!!

Thanks for giving me the idea Connie!

12. TrenchMommy
    December 23, 2009 | 2:35 pm

I did this challenge this past summer and really, really enjoyed it. Like you said Kimberly, it’s wonderful to see the big picture of things. Great post!

13. Jenny
    December 23, 2009 | 4:38 pm

I LOVE the idea and definitely want to join you!!! I will have to start a few days behind, as we will be traveling and won’t be home until the 4th, but I’ll catch up as quickly as I can! This was going to be my year to do this, and I’m so happy you’ve made it possible for me. I really agree that getting it done quickly will make it easier to get through! Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Yeah Jenny! I’m so glad that you will be doing this with us. I’m hoping to post more details sometime today about how we’ll encourage each other along the way. Happy travels!

14. Jenn
    December 23, 2009 | 8:00 pm

Wow – praying about doing this. I think I’m going to be joining y’all! Going to be sharing this!

I hope that you’ll be able to do this with us. I’m putting you on the list and if you want me to take you off just let me know. 🙂

15. celee
    December 24, 2009 | 3:12 pm

My husband and I are in. Hopefully we can keep each other accountable. I’m excited!

I’m so glad that you’re going to do this. My husband is also going to be joining in and at least one of my kids. I’m hoping to post more details today! Would you mind sharing names? I’m hoping to post all those who are participating by name to help encourage everyone to keep going. 🙂

16. miss mary
    December 24, 2009 | 4:09 pm

Yes I have read through the bible approximately 15 times , the whole bible. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to do this. It really makes you think but more than anything is when someone reads it and studys it as they go,some people read but don’t study. I think what you’re doing is great. Big hugs

17. genevieve
    December 24, 2009 | 11:44 pm

I will definately be joining you- I’ve read most of the Bible, and I’ve read some books many many times, but I’ve never read the entire Bible from cover to cover, so I feel like there may be areas I haven’t achieved a proper understanding of yet. I will be on University holidays for most of the 90 days, so this is a great time for me to do the challenge.
    Great idea!

I’m so glad that you’ll be joining us Genevieve and I’m glad that the timing works well for you. I’ll be posting some more details later today.

18. Brandie
    December 26, 2009 | 5:59 pm

That is a great challenge. Not sure if I am up to it yet but we do have daily scripture study so I will keep that up!! Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season and feeling well!!

19. Nicki
    December 26, 2009 | 7:23 pm

I’ve attempted this a few times and always “fell off of the wagon”….I printed the schedule and am planning on starting on the 1st with you!

I’m glad that you’ll be doing this with us Nicki. I’ll be posting more details today. Hopefully with this accountability we will all make it through and won’t that be wonderful?

20. Susan
    December 28, 2009 | 9:01 pm

Kim,

I too want to do this! I am a single mom with 7 children. I work full-time, go to school full-time and let’s not forget, take care of the kids full-time! I need someone to help hold me accountable. I have wanted to read through the bible and have always failed. I get distracted and end up missing days, which turn into weeks, which turn into months, and then the year is gone. I read bits and pieces but have never read the whole thing! Keep me accountable, Kim. Thanks,

Susan

PS Schedule is printed and in my bible.

I admire you for all that you do. I’m hoping that if/when I do miss a day, that having to be accountable for where I am each Sunday, it will force me to catch up. Praying that works for others also. Sunday is a great day to spend some extra time in God’s Word.

21. Michelle
    December 29, 2009 | 1:06 am

Kim,
    I’m in for the challenge. I have never read the Bible from cover to cover yet, and it’s funny because we were just discussing this in Sunday School this last Sunday. Thanks for the challenge!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

You aren’t the only one who is tackling this for the first time. Blessings on your journey.

22. Jamie
    December 29, 2009 | 1:46 pm

Kimberly, I have thought and thought and thought about this… I would love to, but just don’t think I can at the moment. We are going to stick with reading through the Bible in a year, this year. I am printing out the schedule, though, so I can maybe incorporate it next year or the following year (When there are more readers in the house than just me!!!). I thought of doing it on “my own” time, but there really isn’t such a thing at the moment. My reading comprehension is very low right now (I attribute it to exhaustion), and it’s hard enough for me to meditate on the little of the Bible I get to read on my own at the moment. For school we are reading through the Bible in a year… and I think that is good for us this year. I LOVE the idea of reading it in 90 days. I really look forward to having more readers in the house so we can do this out loud as a family!

I completely understand.

How is your family doing? My OB has said that he is fine with us avoiding a C-section depending on the size of the baby. However, we’ve had some horribly inaccurate ultrasounds (more than 2 pounds off), so the discussion continues. 🙂

23. Robin Sampson
    December 29, 2009 | 10:22 pm

I’m in. I posted on my blog and Scrap booked a page for encouragement. You can download from http://ow.ly/QX2m

YouVersion.com: has a 90 day paln you can have the plan sent to your phone or read online.

So glad you started this! Its going to be a blessing!

Thank you for sharing the resources.

I have appreciated your writings on the Hebraic model of homeschooling. This is what my husband and I have been trying to do, but did not know it had a name and did not know that someone had written about it. Thank you for your research and your writing, it has been an encouragement to our family.

24. Amy
    December 29, 2009 | 10:49 pm

I have printed off 2 copies of the schedule (one for me and one for my dh!) I will talk to him within the next few days and let you know if he’ll be joining me. I have never read the entire Bible straight through and I’m pretty sure there are also parts I’ve never read. I’m looking forward to what the Lord will reveal to me through this challenge. Thanks so much for posting this challenge and the check list!

I’m glad that you will be joining us Amy!

25. Andrea Maddiex
    December 30, 2009 | 3:20 am

I’m in, this is wonderful and so very encouraging!

Welcome!!

26. Raye Ann
    December 30, 2009 | 7:24 am

I’m in. I am going to have my two oldest boys join me. I will be bloging about it later on today.
    Blessings

27. Susan
    December 30, 2009 | 8:58 am

Thank you so much for publishing this challenge. I am a grandma who takes care of my grandchildren during the day. I so need more of the Word daily and welcome this idea as of the Lord.

Thank you for joining in Susan. I’m really looking forward to getting started.

28. Shannon
    December 30, 2009 | 2:39 pm

This is wonderful! I did it last summer. I posted on my blog throughout. I took me between 45 minutes to an hour a day to complete.

Bible in 90 Days Post 1 – http://tinyurl.com/puqyqc
    Bible in 90 Days Post 2 – http://tinyurl.com/yepf2nq
    Bible in 90 Days Post 3 – http://tinyurl.com/lbtq9d
    Bible in 90 Days Post 4 – http://tinyurl.com/ma753k

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Helps me know more of what to expect.

29. michelle
    December 30, 2009 | 5:48 pm

Thank-you for doing this it is exactly what I need! I am excited to spend this time with the Lord, praying I will keep committed.

God Bless you and Happy New Year to you.
    Michelle

Our family has decided that we will commit to praying for each of the participants daily during the challenge. We are glad that you will be joining us.

30. Anya
    December 30, 2009 | 5:49 pm

Hi, I would like to join in with the reading of the Bible in 90 days, I have never actually done it, so it would be great if I can. I like being held accountable and will be glad for the company, cant wait to start.

Our family has committed to praying for each participant daily during the challenge. This is something that we can do together and I think that the accountability is key! I’m so happy that you will be reading through the Bible with us.

31. Gina
    December 30, 2009 | 6:11 pm

I am going to do this! Thank you so much for the encouragement and “prodding” to be dedicated to this!

God bless you!

Thank you for joining in.

32. taygirl
    January 1, 2010 | 7:34 am

It is Jan 1st, and I’ve just read Robin’s blog. I am grateful for the timing because I can begin at the same time as the group.
    About two months ago I started doing therapy for my physical well being. Guess how long the sessions are? Seventy five minutes. How lovely to balance this with 75 minutes of ‘therapy’ for my spiritual wellbeing. I look forward to having company when we hit the Jeremiah, Ezekiel passages!
    Blessings in Christ’s name.

I’m so glad that you will be joining us. Today was fun, but your right some of those prophets are going to be more challenging.

33. Lisa
    January 1, 2010 | 12:49 pm

I am joining this challenge, it’s just what I needed!
    Blessings!
    L

Welcome. How are things going so far?

34. meclarks
    January 2, 2010 | 7:21 pm

I’m in! I’ll be posting at http://walkingdailybyfaith.blogspot.com/ for this challenge!

Glad that you’re joining us. This is a lot of fun.

Thanks for linking up on Sunday!

35. Cyndi
    January 4, 2010 | 2:25 pm

So glad to have others to share with on this challenge. I read about it before the new year and decided to join you, just stayed quiet about it. My sweet hubby decided to join me and I’m more excited. It’s been years since I sat down to the challenge of reading through the whole bible – thanks for the encouragement.

2010 is a fresh start to a much more intentional walk with Jesus. Your blog has been an enormous encouragement to me since I found it a month ago.

I’ve added you to our family’s prayer list. We will be praying for all the participants who’ve signed up here at Raising Olives every day of the challenge.

Thank you.

36. Kimberly@Living Free
    January 6, 2010 | 8:15 pm

Hi,
    I just found your blog and read about the challenge. I’m going to do it, but I’ll be a little behind since I just found out about it. I look forward to seeing what God will do in my life through this 🙂 I also look forward to reading more on your blog!

Glad you can join in. I will be posting updates every Sunday and will include a Linky in case you’d like to write an update post and link it up so others can read how you’re doing.

37. Amy
    January 1, 2011 | 11:30 pm

This is great! I’ve NEVER read through the entire Bible. I will definitely be participating!