Rejoicing in Morning Sickness

As you probably can tell with the amount and quality of recent posting, I really struggle with morning all day sickness.

If you know me in real life, and especially if you live with me, you know that I’m not posting this because I’m good at rejoicing when I feel bad.  I struggle to be cheerful polite.  I struggle to be grateful to avoid complaining.  As a matter of fact, I began the draft of this post with explaining just how bad I feel, before I decided that I could at least take my advice for this one post. 🙂

That said, I should should rejoice

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say rejoice. Phil 4:4

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

and I should be grateful.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever. 1 Chron. 16:34

I was challenged to seek to enjoy pregnancy when I was pregnant with our fourth or fifth child.  God used the words of a sweet friend to convict my heart and to give me a new prayer during pregnancy.  “Lord help me to enjoy and rejoice in the child you have given me, during the pregnancy”.

My friend was sitting in my living room during one of our mom’s meetings .  She and her husband had recently found out that the child she was carrying had Trisomy 13, the presence of an extra 13th chromosome in all cells.  This leads to many physical problems and is usually fatal.  She made the comment that she had not been as grateful as she should have been for pregnancy before, that she had complained with the difficulties and discomforts, but that with this child, knowing that the pregnancy may be the only time she would have with this baby, God had changed her heart and she was striving to be thankful for the time that He had given this baby to her.

My friend’s daughter, Hope, was born and lived for an hour and a half before God called her home.  Hope’s momma taught me a valuable lesson that night in my living room.  Thank you Lord for another priceless gift and please help me rejoice in the journey.

Thanks for all of your  morning sickness helps and advice.  Some of your suggestions have been helpful, lemon, ginger ale and I loved Lauren’s suggestion of drinking some kind of soda so that when it comes up it tastes nice, that WORKS.  🙂

So how do you deal with the mental/emotional part of morning sickness?  Keeping up (or not as the case may be) with the house, laundry, schooling, etc?

Share on Facebook10Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

72 Responses to Rejoicing in Morning Sickness
  1. Nicki
    December 8, 2009 | 9:27 am

I don’t have a lot of helpful advice, even though I suffer this all day sickness with every pregnancy. During my 3rd pregnancy, I went through the entire first trimester sick, barely got over it, and then lost the baby at 17 weeks. After that, I was changed. I can’t say I gladly embrace morning sickness, but I do understand it is necessary (at least for me) and I will ENDURE it.

As to how I handle it? I can only say I am very grateful that God blessed me with 2 daughters first, because they are a big help. I try to train them consistently to be independent housekeepers, knowing that the next pregnancy will require them to take charge. I usually feel sick just sitting upright, so getting anything done is almost impossible. I can’t eat, or stand to smell food, so I don’t cook at all. My family exists on whatever hubby can make or cereal, instant oatmeal, and frozen dinners. They eat a lot of junk during that time.

I look forward to any helpful advice you get before my next pregnancy, because I’m still looking for answers!

I don’t think I get as sick as you do. I can usually function a bit during the beginning of the day. I’m so thankful that we bulk cook and always have our freezer stocked. Before we did that, everyone ate whatever Mark fixed or brought home. Yes, lots of junk.

2. meclarks
    December 8, 2009 | 9:32 am

I have been blessed with wonderful pregnancies, thankfully! I’ve said it’s God’s way of keeping me wanting to have more children! My sister in law used magnetic wrist bands to help with morning sickness and recommends them to everyone!

Do you know where she got them or what they were called?

Jyl Reply:

I don’t know the details but the bands I have heard of are the ones used to prevent motion sickness. They leave them on all the time and they do help. Hopefully they shouldn’t be hard to find with that info.

3. Lisa
    December 8, 2009 | 10:01 am

I struggle with the same thing. I am in my 5th month with my 3rd baby. During my first trimester I was dead set on having my tubes tied right after this baby was born because I didn’t think I could handle another pregnancy after this one. (Even though I believe God has many more blessings for our family after this baby, I was just in such a terrible, selfish place). I would lay in bed from the time my husband got home until late at night alternately crying, praying and being a grouch about the whole pregnancy. Guess what? The praying worked the best. Over and over I repeated “From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint. Lead me to a rock that is higher than I” Ps. 61:2

I’ve tried every morning sickness “cure”, nothing’s ever worked for me. My sickness usually lasts well past my 6th month, but this time it ended at 17 weeks. Only God can work that kind of miracle.

So I guess I don’t have any advice, just a suggestion to attempt to rejoice in these “difficult” times. Know that the end result is worth every last trip to that toilet!

I love that Psalm. Thank you. I also spend the evenings in bed praying and sometimes crying. It is a good reminder of who is really in control and to remember that we are ALWAYS this dependent on Him, we just aren’t always as aware.

4. mumo6
    December 8, 2009 | 10:05 am

Re: keeping up. My mum gave me this ‘tip’ with my first pregnancy 25 years ago. She said that with each pregnancy, she deliberately chose something – a routine but non-essential task – to ‘let slide’. As I recall, her example was that when pregnant with me, she let go of ironing the sheets!!!!! (I’m THANKFUL for permanent press fabrics-I’ve never ironed a sheet in my life.)

Sometimes we need to give our supermom quest a kick in the teeth. God didn’t call us to be supermoms. He called us to love Him, love our husbands, and love our children. Those are the priorities to pull back to, whenever life becomes too much for us. Jesus did this! When the crowds became too draining, He withdrew to spend time with His Father or with the twelve.

When my oldest was morning sick with number 2, rather than making cookies to tuck into her husband’s lunch each day, she asked my then 12 year old to bake a batch of cookies for her each week. Husband still got cookies, younger daughter had chance to serve, and oldest daughter had a little more couch time each week.

See, my problem is that EVERYTHING goes, forget making cookies, I can’t get dinner or even be where the smell of dinner lingers. 🙂 I love the idea of getting her younger sister to help.

5. Tina
    December 8, 2009 | 10:37 am

Thank you for your post. I, or shall I say my kids, notice that when I get pregnant I’m less patient and seem to frustrate easier. I will try to remember to treat each pregnancy as a gift and take for granted the special one on one time I have with my baby before it’s born.
    I had a friend who would eat lemon drops to soothe mornng sickness. I enjoy drinking Russian Tea when I have morning sickness. It’s warm and soothing and it seems to settle my stomache. My kids love it too, so everyone is happy when I mix up a batch. It’s also a great source of Vitamin C and is good when kids have colds and need a little boost of Vit.C.

Russian Tea
    1 (18oz)jar Tang = 2 1/4C
    1 C sugar
    1/3 C lemonade mix
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 C instant tea
    1/2 tsp. clove powder

Combine ingredients and store in airtight container. To use, mix 2 tablespoons (I use a heaping silverware spoon not measuring spoon)per cup of boiling water, may adjust =/- according to liking.

I love hot tea and will have to try this.

6. Melanie
    December 8, 2009 | 11:27 am

I have struggled with this for all of my pregnancies. (This is my fifth, counting my two miscarriages.) To a certain extent I don’t put any pressure on myself to “feel happy” about the pregnancy while I’m sick. I’m actually not sure if it’s possible to feel happy about anything while sick! I know, objectively, that I want a baby and from experience that I will almost certainly start to feel excited about it once I stop being sick and start feeling movement. On the other hand the fact that I feel miserable doesn’t mean that I have to be cranky with everyone else. So I try to be civil. I’m not sure if I’m getting any better or not! Bottom line, my observation is that for me feeling emotionally miserable is mostly part of being sick, and I treat it simply as another burden to bear.

Likewise with the messy house. I tend to be a perfectionist, so learning to live with chaos and disaster is hard. I struggle with feeling like maybe I’m being lazy and if I just pushed myself a little harder then maybe . . . But once I feel better I realize that I was not just being lazy, I really couldn’t function! I look forward to the day when I have older children who can pick up a bit of the slack, but for now with only little ones I just have to accept that the household is going to fall apart while I’m sick and try to bear it cheerfully.

I actually struggle with this question sometimes even when I’m not pregnant and the answer is usually not nearly as simple. How do you know when to quit? When all you feel like doing is resting how do you know how hard to push yourself? For example, do you do the dinner dishes even when your exhausted, or do you let them wait till tomorrow, knowing that will put you behind starting your new day? Anybody have any thoughts on how to make such decisions?

I relate to your response so much. Yes, be civil. Yes, I know I’m not lazy once I begin feeling better. Yes, I tend to be a perfectionist and living in chaos is hard. Yes, I wonder how hard to push myself.

Here is my rule on pushing myself, I pick one or two things to accomplish each day and if I finish that and need to rest then I do, but I do, within reason, try to get my one thing done.

It’s so nice to know that I’m not alone. Thanks.

7. Brandie
    December 8, 2009 | 11:31 am

Hang in there! Thanks for sharing this valuable lesson with me!

I love when you visit. Thanks!

8. TrenchMommy
    December 8, 2009 | 12:05 pm

My sister-in-law delivered her first born who was stillborn. They blame it on the cord, but really don’t know exactly why he died. That was 3 years before we gave birth to our first and with each ours, despite how sick I was, was very grateful for what time I had with each of them. Hardship is not fun or easy, but it sure does teach us to be more grateful.

It’s amazing how much we think God owes us. When we are faced with what CAN happen, we realize just how blessed we are. Thank you Mandy!

9. Jama
    December 8, 2009 | 12:19 pm

As you know our 6th pregnancy ended in miscarriage. When I found out I was pregnant with #6, I wasn’t thrilled. To be honest, I wasn’t even happy. I felt I already had more on my plate than I could handle. I didn’t see how I could possibly do one more thing. After losing that baby I grieved for the small amount of time God had given me to love that baby for which I had not done so. Since that loss I have tried not to take anything for granted and have rejoiced in the difficulties of pregnancy and child-bearing. We both know many who have experienced more severe losses recently. Our complaints and discomforts pale in comparison. Praying God will give you the ability not only to endure but to rejoice!

Love you!

Thank you! I wish the words expressed more because I mean more, but thank you!

10. Allyson
    December 8, 2009 | 12:33 pm

What a great reminder! I too struggled to keep a good and thankful attitude during my pregnancies. My mother in law wisely suggested that I make a “Blessing” list during the time. I was amazed after a few weeks at how long the list was! Every time something came up, happened or occurred to me, I wrote it down. ‘Thank you the cat didn’t puke last night, Thank you for one hour of not feeling nauseated today, Thank you a neighbor picked up a couple newborn onsies at a garage sale for me today, Thank you I found an extra $1.50 in my coat pocket so I can get that food craving this morning. .. etc. When I would start to feel discouraged over the six months of 24/7 morning sickness, pulling out this list would help give me a better perspective and reminder that God was with me in this!

Oh, ditto on the pop. Sipping coke would sometimes help. 🙂 For some reason corn based products helped me especially with my first pregnancy. I had a lot of cornbread!

What a wonderful idea. Thank you.

11. Amy
    December 8, 2009 | 12:47 pm

I wrote a post when I was pg w/ Micah (#6) entitled “Mind Over Belly” (http://raising-arrows.blogspot.com/2008/10/mind-over-belly.html) because I had to find a way to work past the mental/emotional side of morning sickness and all the other aches and pains that come with pregnancy. I actually find that side of things much more difficult to deal with than the actual vomiting all day long for 20 wks.

I think we can do nothing but lay around and survey all our shortcomings when we’re in the throes of morning sickness…that would depress anyone. I wonder if some good music, cheery things to look at, good smells to smell would be enough to help you feel better mentally.

You definitely have my empathy.
    Blessings,
    Amy

Thanks Amy. You are right, thinking about all our shortcomings won’t put anyone in a good mood.

Great post and very true, attitude does matter.

12. Michelle
    December 8, 2009 | 1:01 pm

I was referred to your blog by a Mom’s Group in Kingsport. I met with them for the first time last night. I can see by this post I would be blessed to know you as well. I am considering homeschool but my babies are very young right now.

I just recently (October) started a blog and am attempting to find what direction to go in…I’ve really enjoyed what I have seen on yours and don’t know where to start! I want to read it all!!

As far as morning sickness… I never had it too bad so Gingersnaps worked for me! I remember when I was pregnant with JJ, I would just hold Lily in the recliner and watch Disney. I kept telling her I promised when he was born I would play with her again. I was so exhausted from it all. I can’t imagine what it would be like with TEN!!

Hope you have “feel good” day!

I tend to let the children watch more videos during pregnancy than any other time.

In some ways it’s easier with ten because the big ones help out a lot.

13. thesleepyknitter
    December 8, 2009 | 1:04 pm

Morning sickness doesn’t sound pleasant! I have never experienced it but feel much sympathy for all my women friends who have. Sounds like your friend is on the right track, though, thanking God for what time she does have (or did have, rather) with her baby. I will remember your comments and hers.

14. Heather@It's Twinsanity
    December 8, 2009 | 3:07 pm

I’ve struggled with this too. Both of my twin pregnancies were extremely difficult for the first 12-14 weeks. It was tough to nurse one or two babies and be feeling ill all day at the same time. My mom lost my brother to Trisomy 13 so I’ve tried to learn to rejoice in my pregnancies, no matter what.

Thank you for sharing Heather.

When I first read your comment I thought, “Wow, I can’t imagine nursing and being pregnant”, until I realized that this is the first pregnancy that I haven’t done that. Funny how quickly you forget.

15. Kelly @ Wisdom Begun
    December 8, 2009 | 3:18 pm

I wish I had advice for you, but I don’t. 🙁 I struggle more and more with each pregnancy and it usually ends up one big complain/cry/moan/whine fest. If the Lord blesses us with another one I will be sure to change my attitude.

I’ve also noticed that the pregnancies have seemed to get harder. 🙂

16. Kim
    December 8, 2009 | 3:32 pm

I also struggle greatly with my attitude and lack of gratitude during pregnancy. Not only do I throw up 20 times a day for 24+ weeks, I have horrible Braxton hicks contractions that start at 20 weeks and become unbearable by 30 weeks. I am now 5 1/2 weeks pregnant with our 4th baby (5th pregnancy, one miscarriage). I knew that I was pregnant this time over a week before I could actually take a test. That is when the morning sickness began. By the time I actually took the test, my husband sat down with me and prayed over me. Not that I would feel well, but that I would be able to get through this tough time with a good attitude. Wow, was I ever convicted. Reading your post has made me even more so. I truly believe that God has blessed me so greatly, now I just need to act like it! Thank you so much for the reminder, Kim!

As for tips, I agree with the others that have said to let it go. I am not homeschooling at all this month and plan to work hard at not worrying about my house. The children will live if they eat cereal for dinner for the next 24 weeks and their coloring might become really proficient during my daily naps. Ultimately, God will provide all the strength we need to get through this….even when it doesn’t seem like it!

And then I read a comment like this and realize that I’m really just a big baby. Not only do I not throw up 20+ times a day (not even close), I usually have fairly uncomplicated end of pregnancies.

Praying for you Kim, as you walk this road God has called you to and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

17. Brooke Breck
    December 8, 2009 | 3:59 pm

I know you feel horrible and how rotten it is. When I was pregnant with my 2nd I laid my head down on my desk the entire day. It was so hard. I wish I could help with that. I wanted to tell you how wonderful and inspiring your post was though. It really lifted me up and I loved the scriptures. I needed those at this exact time. So if it helps…you helped me feel better during these hard times. Thank you again.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It does help make me feel better. Thanks for taking the time to let me know. God is GOOD!

18. celee
    December 8, 2009 | 5:05 pm

I don’t have any words of wisdom- I’m awful during the first trimester. I try to just trudge through life keeping everything as it normally is, but I do have to get more sleep. Also, I do not normally watch tv, but when I feel bad the kids and I watch a lot more movies. It’s my lazy way of being with them while I feel wiped out. I’m very blessed that my 13th week is like flipping a switch and then I’m energetic throughout the rest of the pregnancy. My poor husband just has to bear with me those 8 or so weeks of terrible sickness that feel as though they last forever. I know you’ll get through it- again for the 10th time! I’m so excited for you and your family! My kids are praying for another baby.

Thank you Celee. I usually begin to feel better about half way through the pregnancy, but it has varied. I’m thinking maybe 12 more weeks. Thanks for being excited for us!

19. *Mirage*
    December 8, 2009 | 7:06 pm

How I deal with it is I throw up and whine and throw up and complain and throw up and throw up and throw up and then I’m so dehydrated and weak on the bathroom floor I can’t even speak let alone stand so the complaining is silenced while hubby carries me to the car to go in and get an IV except that they can’t get the needle in the vein because I’m too dehydrated so they keep stabbing me over and over to no avail. Oh the fun. The joy. I love losing 30 pounds in 6 weeks because I can’t stop throwing up blood. Sore subject for me if you couldn’t tell. Being thankful and having a good attitude during pregnancy sounds nice. I’m sure since you’re a much more patient and strong woman than I am you will get alot closer to that goal than I did. Hence my continuing bad attitude toward it 3 1/2 years later…

Annnd through all that there was one thing that helped me. Earth Mama Angel Baby’s “Morning Wellness Tea” – Amazing stuff. Without it I’d have gone totally crazy instead of just half crazy.

I don’t think I’m more patient or strong. I do know that God’s grace is sufficient for each of us and He will not give us more than we can handle. Blessings to you!

I really must look into that wellness tea.

20. Kristi
    December 8, 2009 | 10:33 pm

I had all day, every day sickness with my first, nothing with my second and lost her at 7 weeks and again have all day, every day sickness with Miss Mary (due Jan 3). I have learned that pregnancy is no fun in my world but the sicker I feel the better the baby seems to do 🙂 God has given me amazing strength to be this sick and yet still have energy to maintain my house (most days) and keep up with my toddler. Lean on Him 🙂 Also all the lovely morning sickness remedies from http://www.nosugaraddedshop.com worked wonders…the happy momma spray and Earth Mama, Angel baby morning sickness tea helped in the first trimester. I still use the spray and some herbal drops for digestion now….but it’s hit and miss! Right now all I can keep down is PB and J with a nice glass of fresh lemonade….being prego is such a strange thing. LOVE your blog and am so inspired by your family! Hang in there and know little bit is growing strong!

Thank you for the link. I want to look into that.

I’ve never experienced a miscarriage and I’ve heard that being sick is a good sign that things are going well, so that’s another reason to rejoice.

21. Jenny
    December 8, 2009 | 11:53 pm

I’m happy to say that I’ve never had morning sickness to the extent that you have, but I’ve had it enough to know it’s not fun! I think attitude is more than half the battle, and yours is wonderful! I agree that we need to enjoy pregnancy as much as we can- it’s over so quickly. My struggle during pregnancy is always worrying about the health and well-being of the baby- I worry way more than I should! Hope you feel better soon 😉

Thanks Jenny. I also struggle with worry, but that’s another post. 😉 Hope you are feeling well!

22. Charity
    December 9, 2009 | 12:15 am

One thing I found helpful when dealing w/ morning sickness is sucking on Wintermint Lifesavers. I don’t know what it was about them, but they seemed to calm the nausea. I have been sick w/ all my pregnancies (7 term, 1 miscarriage at 10 weeks). Some people say peppermint tea works well, though I have never tried it. My wonderful husband and two older children picked up my slack on the days when I couldn’t seem to pick my head up from the pillow. I thank God for their help.

I find that peppermint tea helps with the headaches. I’ve gotten a lot of head aches with a few of the pregnancies and peppermint tea helps me with that.

23. Christin
    December 9, 2009 | 8:20 am

I can relate so much. In my last pregnancy, I found myself hovering over the porcelain bowl, thanking God for a healthy baby. It really did help to put things into perspective. I so hope to maintain that attitude.

The only problem is, I have already found myself slipping back into that negativity before I’ve even conceived! All I can talk about is “when I get pregnant I’ll be so sick for 4+ months {woe is me, woe is me}. Shame on me! {Father God, I repent of that even right now and will try harder to NOT complain about the blessings you give me…even when there are trials to go through to receive such a gift}.

What worked for me tremendously for the last two pregnancies is sucking on peppermint – like candy canes. It REALLY helped – better than anything else.

As for the emotional/mental aspect…I have still not figured this out myself. Looking back I can see how we just go through different seasons and not all of them will be ideal. Even if things aren’t going the way we want, I think maintaining a happy heart is very important for our children to see. I am learning that even NOW. Lower your expectations and take it one day at a time. Do what you can. Snuggle and do a lot of reading (or have your older children read). Pray A LOT. Just give it to Him and let Him carry you through.
    Blessings!

If this is any encouragement at all, I’ve had morning sickness with 9 of my 10 pregnancies. God can give us a break from the experience if it is for our good and His glory. I love knowing that.

I know that God has a plan for the sickness with this pregnancy, otherwise it wouldn’t be here. Maybe your next pregnancy will be different. It could happen.

24. the inadvertent farmer
    December 9, 2009 | 12:05 pm

Kimberly you are wise to enjoy each an every minute with you precious little one…even if he/she is making you sick and tired and irritable. I honestly would give anything to be sick again with my twins, during my pregnancy was the only time I ever got to hold them while they were alive…

I will be praying for a short lived morning sickness season for you and a happy healthy baby in a few months. Kim

Thank you for yet another reminder to be thankful! Thanks for your prayers.

Emilee Reply:

I know how you feel. My twins were stillborn also and I would do the sickness and the strict bedrest all over again just to feel them kicking and squirming again.

25. Jill
    December 9, 2009 | 12:40 pm

A mother of ten that I admire once told me that she is asked to play the piano at church on occasion without any warning. Sometimes they were songs that she wasn’t very familiar with. She said that as long as she played the melody no one noticed if she dropped the rest of the notes. She went on to relate that in our homes the love is the melody. A lot of the other notes can be dropped during difficult times with little notice as long as we carry on the love. This gives me great comfort during the difficult morning/all day sickness and during that LONG last month of pregnancy, and during those exhausting first six weeks of baby’s life…. Drop the extra notes for a while, just make sure that you keep up the melody. Blessings to you!

What a wonderful way to put it. Sadly, for me, the love is often the first to go. Thank you for this wonderful reminder.

26. Carole Lynne
    December 15, 2009 | 4:29 pm

Kimberly I love seeing that little baby that floats on your blog screen showing how big your little one is getting. I’d focus on that if I were you and think how tremendous it is that you are able to grow healthy full term babies. I have not had too much trouble with morning sickness but I take raspberry leaf tea mixed with oatstraw(for calcium) all through my pregnancies and while nursing (read that= every day since my second child was conceived). I had really bad nausea with my first and gained 40 lbs and hemorrhaged during a 12+ hr. homebirth. My midwife (who had 25+ yrs. of experience) was awesome and gave me some hard but loving advice. She told me to drink that pregnancy tea before I got pregnant again every day and to get 30 min of exercise. She said the hormone levels would stay more balanced if I exercised regularly and whatever form of exercise I was used to doing when I was not pregnant would be fine to continue. I run every day until the last trimester and then I jog/walk and judge how hard to push myself by the frequency of braxton hicks I experience. A seasoned doctor may not agree and this advice may not be good for everyone especially if you tend to miscarry. Running may not be the best form of exercise(swimming is probably better)but this formula of tea and exercise has really worked well for me. I also take other supplements as needed and modify my diet when I need to. Some foods are more likely to induce nausea than others. Despite all this advice when I moved to the area I now live I found the pollution levels in the air and water are very high and I began experiencing declining health and two miscarriages ( one last week). So count your blessings (of good health and children) and feel free not to take my advice. You obviously have gotten to know your body and your needs during pregnancy by now with 9 healthy children and all you do to live healthy in mind and body.I hope by now the nausea is easing up a bit. LOL

Thank you Carole Lynne. I also regularly drink red raspberry leaf tea (no oatstraw). How much do you drink each day? I try to get in 3 cups, but am happy if I get in 2.

The exercise is a great reminder. I can’t physically do it in the first trimester, if I do anything more than a slow stroll I get VERY sick and continue for the rest of the day. (I was swimming regularly when I became pregnant with #4 and when I got out of the pool at the gym shortly after we found we were expecting, the gym ended up needing to call Mark to come get me, because I was unable to stand.) As soon as this sickness passes, I do need to get back into it. When I exercise during the rest of pregnancy I have more energy and generally feel better.

You are right, we’ve been very blessed. I may not have fun first trimesters, but we have 9 healthy children and honestly all in all, I have good pregnancies.

I’m so sorry about your loss. We are praying for you and for your family!

27. tereza crump AKA MyTreasuredCreations
    December 18, 2009 | 5:08 pm

I am 30 weeks pregnant and have 3 little ones at home under 6y.o. Morning sickness is a real problem for me. i love to cook but during the first trimester I can’t stand cooking or the smell of food. so I let that slide. I feed my family more fresh fruits and vegetables. Use the frozen food from my freezer, let my husband buy us carry out for dinner more often (I prefer home made food, but during this time I give in.) I am usually very tired, so I rest. this time I closed my online shop down and stopped taking custom orders. I only do the extremely necessary housework. One load of laundry a day. Clean bathrooms every 2 weeks. Clean kitchen once a week. My husband does the vacuuming and mopping for me once a week. The little ones help with picking up and I don’t sweat the mess as much. Of course, sometimes it gets to me, and I explode and then for the next hour or so, EVERYBODY helps out and gets the house looking organized and clean and then I relax.

Morning sickness is for a short time, so we just need to do what works. Let it slide, rest, put your feet up, drink tea or ginger ale, eat crackers, 5 -6 small meals, lots of fruits, watch TV with the children…it will all pass. 🙂

Scripture is wonderful. Takes your focus OFF yourself and puts it on Jesus. 🙂 So meditate on it, chew and eat the Word of God you will be fed and nourished. 🙂

I passed a blood clot about 3″ in diameter about 10 weeks into this pregnancy. My husband was sure I had miscarried. I was sad, because it was unexpected and because I really wasn’t ready for this 3rd pregnancy. I searched the internet for symptoms for miscarriages and found a story about a lady who had the same thing happen to her and the next day she had an ultrasound and the baby was still there, alive and kicking. Immediately I felt my baby was fine. I had not lost my baby. My husband was still not a believer.

The next day we went for an ultrasound and there it was. Perfectly formed, heart beating and no problems whatsoever. I have no idea what the bleeding and the clot was. My doctor couldn’t explain it but God is good.

So in 10 weeks or so, my baby girl will make her entrance into this world and I am so happy and thankful for morning sickness because it does mean that you are having a healthy pregnancy.

Count your blessings. 🙂 This too will pass.

Now, I am in the phase of swollen feet and braxton hicks contractions. Oh, what fun!!! 🙂 LOL

Merry Christmas. 🙂

Tereza

Thank you Tereza. You are certainly right. Praying for a safe and healthy delivery. (Congratulations)

28. Mary
    January 13, 2010 | 4:27 pm

I am also due in July, but with my 1st, and although my sickness is almost entirely gone now, I prayed that I would be thankful for it as well. We had been trying to have a baby for a year and a half and had actually been told we needed to think about doing IUI because my husband’s sperm count was so low. So I am just thankful to be pregnant, without any fertility treatment, when we thought it wouldn’t happen. Being sick wasn’t fun at all, but I tried to remind myself that it was a reminder of answered prayer.
    I used Sea Bands as well and they really did help; the nausea never went away completely but it seemed to make it more manageable. I put them on in the morning before I got out of bed, along with eating saltines before I got up, seemed to help.

29. Leah Killian
    March 2, 2010 | 12:44 am

I have a condition called hyperemesis gravidarum- which roughly translates into severe vomiting of pregnancy. I throw up all day long, and require IVs and hospital stays to stay alive. I was told that 25% of mothers who have this choose to abort, and as horrific as that is, I understand why. It takes some unshakable faith to know that all that illness is glorifying God and doing a great work for Him and in Him. Not everyone is blessed with that.

I usually find a television series I’ve never seen before and work my way through multiple seasons during the absolute worst few weeks of it. I can’t think or do anything else, so I check out as much as possible.

My last pregnancy was such a gift- I was very ill for the first 5 months, and not looking forward to my husband deploying at the 6 month mark! I had no help, no support where we were stationed. He left, and miraculously, I was well. God made me whole for those few months- in fact, I was better than my usual self! I got to experience the absolute joy of pregnancy- and it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. I am so grateful for that perfect time.

I worry about the next one, even as I look forward to that day. Being that sick with other children who need you is awfully hard. The one thing that I found really frustrated me (that I could control) was my inability to clean. Next time, we will hire someone to come in and make sure that my toilet is scrubbed. It will be a challenging expense to have someone in a few times a month, but ultimately, I think we will all feel more peace. My littlest ones do a lot of helping, but for this, I really feel a grown up job on occasion would do a lot to lift my spirit 🙂

It says He cannot dwell in an unclean vessel- and I think that applies to my house.

Leah Reply:

I know this is an old post, but as I was reading through I was actually looking for someone else who had Hyperemesis, and was even more surprised to find that you share my name! 🙂 I had HG with both of my pregnancies, and spent much of the time in the hospital trying to stay alive. Several doctors have told me it was a miracle that I and my baby survived. I was heavily medicated the entire 9 months. I am always so glad to find someone else who knows about HG. I would give almost anything to have “normal” morning sickness, although I’m sure that is not fun either. I’m so glad that God was protecting me- those were the worst months of my life.

Leah Killian Reply:

I’m glad you made it through! I found a lot of support at helpher.org -it is a site and forum for HG Mommies.

It really is one of those things you have to live to understand.

Leah Reply:

Yes, I found that website shortly after my son was born and spent hours on there. I also spent time on http://www.hghelp.org It’s another site that is much smaller but is also a support group for HG.

30. Kimberly @ Raising Olives
    March 5, 2010 | 1:26 pm

God is good. Bless you for enduring all that you have in order to bring your precious children into the world.

I would definitely have someone come in to help you. Maybe a teenage girl in your church? If we lived close I know my girls would love to come clean toilets and play with little ones.

Again, thank you for loving life enough to give so sacrificially of yourself. You encourage me!

dawn millward Reply:

i have found your website by accident this morning, and just cried. i really dont know why i wept either.
    we have nine chldren and live in derbyshire england.
    i am 45 and would love to be sent another little one. despite almost dying a few times with pregnancy problems including, hg, haemorage at ten days post partum, and multiple bi lateral p.e. perhaps god has led me here to this site, thanks .

31. Pregnancy is Hard | Raising Olives
    June 8, 2010 | 7:03 am

[…] may wish to read Rejoicing in Morning Sickness. Like this? Share it with […]

32. Frannie
    January 6, 2011 | 9:14 pm

What a blessing this article is to me. I am not married and have never had children, but I have wondered about morning sickness and what a woman should do during that often difficult time. This article was a great help and blessing to me; I hope that, if the Lord wills, when my time comes to have children I can put this artcile to good use and rejoice for the time of pregancy with my child.

May Jesus bless you!
    Frannie

33. Bonnie
    August 26, 2011 | 2:27 pm

oh, I am suffering from this right now. I am pregnant with #7 and I am so miserably sick. I also have a heart condition that isnt life threatening but obnoxious and anxiety causing. I have been constantly complaining to the point that I’m getting on my own nerves! 🙂 I’m really trying hard to stop. ..My poor husband..

Praying for you Bonnie. It is so very difficult. I always feel sorry for my husband and children during the morning sickness phase and am so surprised to hear them praying for more of God’s blessings. God is good to us!

34. Amy
    February 1, 2012 | 12:51 am

Oh my goodness, I soooo understand. I know this was posted awhile ago so perhaps you are feeling better?? I am just coming out of my months long pregnancy sickness (with my 8th). Morning, noon & night. It is TOUGH! I have tried everything, I’m sure of it. I’ve gotten to the point of vomiting blood & being put on chemo meds….NOTHING worked, motion sickness bands, vitamins, supplements, protein, ginger, teas, small meals….blah, blah, blah. Anyways, the one place where I find peace in it all is that when I am sick I know my body is doing what it is suppose to (for me that is). If I wasn’t sick, it would be cause for alarm. IT is soooooo hard, but it seems to vanish once that sweet creation is in our arms, doesn’t it?! Blessings & courage & strength to you!

35. Jen
    February 27, 2012 | 7:59 pm

I just want to thank you for this, too. I’m four months pregnant with #4 and still struggling with all day nausea. But in perspective, a few weeks ago I needed help just to get to the bathroom, and now I am keeping food down. So improvement is a blessing! It is so encouraging to read this – realizing that I COULD be throwing up all day long, I COULD have a sad diagnosis for my baby, I COULD have miscarried…other people’s posts have made me very, very thankful, and determined to pray for those who have had such a difficult time.

36. Ursula Ciller
    March 28, 2012 | 12:21 am

With the morning sickness I would eat bananas which have heaps of glycoproteins in them which coat the mouth, throat, and esophagus. Thus when I was ‘sick’ at least my throat didn’t get burned as much.
    With the 1st baby I was bedridden for several weeks, but that was not an option with the 2nd as I have an active toddler running underfoot! So I try to nap when she does.
    As for being emotional, I just let it ride and try and avoid things (like the news) that make me unhappy about the bad things reported. Being into hormone research I figure it’s just hormones making me feel unbalanced. But the living new life fluttering inside me is something to be emotional about 🙂
    The housework lags behind and my husband does all he can to help. I like going to my mum’s place with my sister for a break (3 pairs of extra hands) – especially in the 1st trimester. And to think I only have 1.5 children to look after… you people are amazing!

37. Cindy
    May 16, 2012 | 1:24 pm

My husband and I have seven children and for everyone of them I was really sick for the first 6 months..I had to go on Dilectin and Maxoran or be admitted to hospital..that being said, there wasn’t time for that to happen. I was able to call a hotline for morning sickness and they said to never let more than 2 hours go by without sticking something in my mouth and to make sure there was protein in it..that seemed to help tremendously.
    all the best with your newest addition and I pray for energy for you as you cope through this time..

38. Angela Campany
    July 9, 2012 | 8:28 am

I was fortunate enough not to have had a lot of vomiting with my morning sickness, mostly just food aversions, but I definitely remember the days of feeling “green” all day and not wanting to cook dinner because I couldn’t imagine handling a raw chicken! 🙂

I have found that getting all the information I can about healthy pregnancies has really helped me to feel better about pregnancy issues in general. It even makes me want to become a midwife so that I can support women as they go through this difficult but transformational part of their lives.

If you haven’t check out this blog before, I really recommend it for pregnancy info. She is incredibly well researched and I’ve gained a lot of practical and very effective natural health advice from her. Here are two posts about morning sickness that I love and that help address the root cause.

Good luck Mommies! May God’s love, comfort and grace envelope you while He uses your bodies to form His little ones. 🙂

39. joyfulmamma
    March 16, 2013 | 12:04 am

During my first 2 pregnancies I vomited several times a day for the first 5 months or so and lost several pounds. To keep food down, my doctor gave me some anti-vomiting medicine in suppository form. Before our next child came along, I tried an “experiment.” I thought, ‘Maybe, if I get pregnant sooner from the previous baby, the hormones that were already in my body would help me adjust to the new pregnancy.” Guess what! It worked, at least for the vomiting and looking ‘green’ part. I still have to take the very expensive anti-nausea medicine, but I usually do not vomit if I am still breastfeeding my previous baby. I still feel nauseous, but am not vomiting. This has helped with the last 3 babies. Hope that helps.