What Do You Do When You’re Overwhelmed?

Amy says you should Be a Quitter.

This is what our family does when we’re expecting a baby:Β  no company, no extra activities, no deep cleaning, no fancy meals (unless we can pull them out of the freezer πŸ™‚ ) and lots less blogging.Β  We do keep up with laundry, do basic chores and spend lots of time together as a family, resting, snuggling, praying, and reading.

Sorry for the dearth of quality posts recently.Β  Please don’t give up on me, I usually feel marvelous about half way through a pregnancy and I still have lots to say.Β  πŸ™‚Β  In the meantime head over to Raising Arrows and read Amy’s great post about being a quitter.

Oh and before you go, leave a comment to say “hi” to let me know you’re still here.Β  Also, tell me if you are interested in reading our birth stories.Β  I’m trying to get motivated to write those out…

You can help benefit The Children’s Hospital and be entered to win a fun blogging T-shirt by starting or replying to a discussion in the Olive Community.Β  Head over and take part in the conversation about large families, teaching reading, homeschooling and celebrating the season or start your own topic.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

69 Responses to What Do You Do When You’re Overwhelmed?
  1. Stephanie
    December 16, 2009 | 12:41 pm

Hi! Hope you are feeling better soon and don’t worry, we’ll be here when you are able to come back!

2. Sidnie
    December 16, 2009 | 12:48 pm

I’m still hanging around!
    I LOVE birth stories, by the way. Would love to read them.

3. Tristan from the Crew
    December 16, 2009 | 12:51 pm

I’m still here too. Yes on the birth stories.

Also, a quick idea for some posts – why not do a quick post every few days that suggests one of your past posts to read? I know I’ve been wandering through your old posts and enjoying myself tremendously! I’m even partway done with a memorization/scripture box that is just for me!

Thanks for this idea, Tristan. Others like it too, so if you have suggestions for which posts to link to feel free to help me with ideas. It would be nice to have another perspective.

4. Brandie
    December 16, 2009 | 1:02 pm

I am always overwhelmed does that mean I am a quitter or I should be a quitter? Better go read the post!!

Maybe you should be a quitter. Although I do think that the Lord tends to push us to our max and that is not bad, it helps us grow. πŸ™‚

5. Heidi
    December 16, 2009 | 1:05 pm

HI! I’m still here!

I hear you on the less…especially blogging. I’ve been sitting down once/week for an hour and saying what i can come up with. Not nearly as interesting as some other things… My traffic is showing it too…still posting regularly but I’m down almost 50% eeek!

Anyways- I’m here now and i will be here again when you are feeling better! I second the suggested post of the day idea.

The traffic drop is going to bother me too, but I have to remind myself that the numbers are not my priority.

6. Michelle
    December 16, 2009 | 1:10 pm

I hope you feel better soon. You are on my bloglines list so I always catch your posts. πŸ˜‰

I’m right there with you with cutting back on activity! Our youngest baby was born 7 weeks ago, and I’m still not doing much blogging. Other things we cut out: I took this year off of MOPS, we stopped hosting small group a month before he was born and won’t start again until January, and no fancy meals here either! πŸ™‚

I need to set up a blog reader, I have a horrible time keeping up. I completely missed your newest baby. πŸ™

Congratulations!!!! and good for you!

7. Michelle
    December 16, 2009 | 1:18 pm

Loved the post by Amy!

8. Michele
    December 16, 2009 | 1:51 pm

I’m here to and would love to read your birth stories.

9. Heather F.
    December 16, 2009 | 3:19 pm

I’m here! Would love to read the birth stories, too. I appreciate your sharing about your family and homeschool – from philosophy to methods, I’ve gleaned lots! My latest favorite idea is the ob appointment = fun day. Thank you!

Thanks for taking the time to encourage me. I’m gearing up for the birth stories after the new year.

10. Erica
    December 16, 2009 | 3:36 pm

Still here. Take your time. We’ll wait for you to start feeling like posting again πŸ™‚

Thank you!

11. Kim
    December 16, 2009 | 3:53 pm

I’m here, too. I’d love to hear your birth stories and got a lot out of the morning sickness discussion.

12. Gapgirl
    December 16, 2009 | 4:54 pm

Hi! Im still here. I understand your blog-cations sometimes. Been there…
    XoxoGapGirl

13. MamaHen
    December 16, 2009 | 5:22 pm

I am a fairly new reader and have enjoyed going through some of your old posts. I would love to read your birth stories. They are so much fun!

Welcome and thanks for saying “hi”. Birth stories hopefully starting in January.

14. celee
    December 16, 2009 | 5:29 pm

I’m blessed to have lots of help so we don’t have to quit too much. My husband started taking the kids to swimming for me during my last pregnancy and while I was first nursing her. It was great for him, too since he got a chance to work out every day. Now, not so much:) My mom is so sweet to take the kids to piano for me and our violin teacher comes here. We are very blessed. I know what you mean, though. Sometimes it’s so hard to keep going. My Bible study ladies are so understanding that they don’t mind pushing aside a few books and toys as they find a place to sit. They also help with refreshments. I don’t know how you do everything you do, though, so even being a quitter you’re doing way more than most of us! Hang in there!

That is a sweet blessing.

My kids step up and do a lot and that is a wonderful help, it means we eat dinner every night. πŸ™‚

15. Rebecca
    December 16, 2009 | 5:42 pm

Hello

You are an inspiration to me. Thank you for your encouragement. So yes, I am here. I keep you on my blog list and check in often. But I totally understand. I am also pregnant right now. It will be our third. I would love to hear your birth stories.

Congratulations and thank you for your encouragement!

16. Suzanne
    December 16, 2009 | 7:58 pm

What up dawg! Okay, yes I would love to read the birth stories!

17. thesleepyknitter
    December 16, 2009 | 8:50 pm

Blessings on your “quitting”! Doing too much leads to doing nothing.

Thank you for the lead to Amy’s blog, loved it, subscribed.

May you be feeling better soon!

Glad you liked Raising Arrows. Amy is an amazing person and is a talented writer to boot!

18. Megan
    December 16, 2009 | 9:27 pm

I’ve been following for a little while now and haven’t said ‘hi’ yet…my husband & I are expecting our first baby in Feb. and I’m enjoying your thoughts on parenting! And I’d love to read your birth stories!

Congratulations!!!! Nice to “meet” you. πŸ™‚

19. Loni
    December 16, 2009 | 9:44 pm

I agree with putting your priorities in check. I applaud you.

I love reading your blog, you have great wisdom and hope. Especially with so many families having fewer and fewer kids, it’s very encouraging to read your blog.

Keep it up, and in my oppinion – who doesn’t love birth stories?!!

Thank you. Hopefully I’ll get to birth stories in January.

20. Dawn
    December 16, 2009 | 11:31 pm

I’m here, too.

Take it easy and don’t stress yourself out. You are a super blogger, and we’ll all be here when you’re feeling better.

I do like the idea of birth stories. I also liked when you had guest posts during your vacation. Maybe that would be helpful to do again. I second the suggestion on highlighting some of your older posts. Great way to introduce new readers. We loyal readers will enjoy reading those for a second time and won’t abandon you if all your content is not new and original.

I am feeling overwhelmed right now by the next items up for review. I can’t imagine getting through those with all-day sickness. I’ve had that kind of pregnancy and truly empathize. I have been praying for the grace to complete these reviews. I will be praying for you, too.

Thanks Dawn. You interested in guest posting? (I’m serious about this)

Yes, all of the reviews….sigh. I’m not thinking about that until January. πŸ™‚ I have a few I intend to finish up (KinderBach, Sue Gregg, Bertie’s War) before the first of the year and then I’m not looking at anything new until next year. (I even got an extension on the guitar.)

21. Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
    December 16, 2009 | 11:49 pm

πŸ™‚ Lots of people are here.

22. Tina
    December 16, 2009 | 11:52 pm

I’m still here. Completely understand the slowing down at this point in your pregnancy and hey, what better time of the year to spend quality time with your family snuggling and reading books πŸ™‚ I’ll still be around, and YES I LOVE birth stories.

23. Virginia Lee Rogers
    December 17, 2009 | 12:04 am

I just found your blog and have been wandering through some of your previous posts. Love the Memory Box, Schedule Suggestions, Family Worship, and Stories about your kiddos Bible questions and comments. Looks like you have a wonderful blog and I am excited to read more.

Welcome and thanks for taking the time to comment.

24. Shay B
    December 17, 2009 | 9:29 am

I am still here. Although I bet you didn’t even know I was here to begin with.

I would love to read your birth stories.

Thanks!

*Shay*

25. Karen
    December 17, 2009 | 9:35 am

Still here and know EXACTLY how you feel !! I’m pregnant with my 5th child ( about 7 weeks ) and I have energy for about NOTHING!!! I’m hard pressed just getting the regular chores done!!
    Also yes, I like reading birth stories too !!!

Congratulations! You’re not alone. I had two good days this week. (not getting my hopes up, not getting my hopes up, not getting my hopes up πŸ™‚ )

26. Chantelle
    December 17, 2009 | 10:37 am

Yes, I’m still here. I think about you daily, while brushing my teeth or doing my dishes, saying a little prayer for you, your baby, and the rest of your family. I love to see the picture of “your baby” on the blog each day, to see how the baby changes and how many more days to go. Your faith is an inspiration to me and it makes me strive to live closer to the Lord. πŸ™‚

Thank you for your prayers. It is amazing to me that people I don’t know would take the time to pray for me, thank you!!

27. mumo6
    December 17, 2009 | 10:42 am

Glad your priorities are in order! “Love your husband, love your children.” Of course, top of the list is “love God”!
    Looking forward to seeing you again in several weeks. πŸ™‚

Well, at least I know what my priorities should be. Now it’s a matter of making that decision every moment of every day.

28. Dawn
    December 17, 2009 | 11:19 am

Don’t worry about us…we’ll be here when you get back πŸ™‚ Take the time you need!!

29. tamarah
    December 17, 2009 | 11:51 am

The holidays are a good time for mommy bloggers to slow down!

Headed over to your community to help you raise the $10. I am 4 people away from raising the money for my community.

Tamara

Hope you get your 4. I have no idea how many more I need. Is there a way to tell?

30. Sarah
    December 17, 2009 | 12:03 pm

I think you are doing a great job, Kimberly! I am praying for you. “Keeping our eyes on Jesus. . . “Heb. 12
    Love,
    Sarah

Thank you Sarah!

31. Tiffany
    December 17, 2009 | 12:03 pm

Here! Okay now i feel like Im back in elementary school;)

But I won’t send you to the principal’s office.

32. Stephanie
    December 17, 2009 | 12:47 pm

Still here too and would love to hear your birth stories πŸ˜€ Take care of yourself and your family before us, of course.

33. Hannah
    December 17, 2009 | 1:32 pm

Way to be a quitter! πŸ™‚ Don’t worry. I will be here when you get all rested up. Also, I would love to read your birth stories. πŸ™‚

Merry Christmas!

Hannah

Merry Christmas to you too!

34. Roan
    December 17, 2009 | 4:25 pm

Please take care of yourself and your family! We all be here when you feel like blogging. I can completely sympathize! My pregnancies were agonizing. I wasn’t a blogger then, but if I was, I would definitely be taking a bloggy break!
    Merry Christmas!
    Roan

Merry Christmas! I love your blog’s new look.

35. Young Wife
    December 17, 2009 | 8:45 pm

Absolutely. When my husband’s arthritis is bad, we cut out everything. You have to prioritize. I’d read your birth stories!

36. shannon
    December 17, 2009 | 8:57 pm

Hmmm….if I only have 2 kids and 1 on the way am I allowed to be a quitter? Or do you have to have at least half a dozen? lol
    Still here and reading!

Anyone can be a quitter. πŸ™‚ Sometimes we all need to be.

37. Nikki
    December 17, 2009 | 11:49 pm

My blog practically died with my last pregnancy. lol I love your blog and won’t give up on you! You are such a terrific blogger and teacher. I’ve learned SO much from your blog. You’re smart not to take on extras. πŸ™‚

Thanks Nikki. I’ve been afraid that RO would die, we’ll see.

I’m planning on taking off until January and then like the idea about guest posting and birth stories. Hopefully, after that my brain will come back and I’ll feel better. I had two good days this week. (week 10, so that’s very unusual) πŸ™‚

38. Honey
    December 20, 2009 | 7:56 pm

Birth stories?!!? OF COURSE I want to hear them! I’ve been a doula for 15 years, attended over 50 births, gave birth to 3 children, had some midwife training & all of this is simply because I love BIRTH. With my little one being well…little…I’ve been w/o any birth stories & the part of me that lives vircariously hasn’t been living lately! So yes, bring on the birth stories!

I’m a bit of a birth junkie myself. I’d love to be a doula when my children are bigger. I’ve had the privileged to be at two births as a doula (can I call it that if I have no training?)

I’m hoping that I’ll get to some birth stories beginning in 2010.

39. Henny
    December 22, 2009 | 5:45 am

i love birth stories! πŸ™‚ i’m woman, mama and doula -how could i not?

I’m a birth junkie, but not a good storyteller. However, birth stories coming 2010. πŸ™‚

40. Tracey (momtofivekdis)
    February 3, 2010 | 6:48 am

Hi Kimberly, I haven’t been here in a while because I took a blogging break over the holidays, then I made my blog into a 3 column again and I lost all my favorite blog addresses. Anyway, I found you again and I’ll be back! πŸ™‚

41. Sarah
    August 9, 2010 | 3:34 pm

Hi! Still here! Got you on email-the-post-to-my-inbox type thing. And yes on the birth stories. I’m not having any others unfortunately, so I’ll have to live vicariously through yours.

*hug*

42. Courtney
    July 9, 2011 | 2:50 pm

Hi. I just found your blog through the “Life in a Shoe” blog. I love it already. I love to read birth stories, and want to vote in favor or sharing your’s! It seems like such a great way to connect with other mothers. Congratulations on your newest addition. πŸ™‚ Good luck, and God bless!

Hi Courtney! I’ve posted our first three birth stories. A friend of mine mentioned that it’s been over a year since I posted the third and that it’s time to post the fourth, it’s in progress. πŸ™‚

I have direct links to the birth stories that I’ve already posted here and will update as I post more.

Thanks!