90 Day Challenge: 3 Days In

Well, in our house we are off to an enthusiastic start to reading through the Bible in 90 days.  So far all participants in our family (Mom, Dad, Amber 13, Kaitlin 11, Matthew 10 and Alyssa 9) have accomplished the assigned reading first thing each morning.  This will probably change on Monday when we begin school again and reading time will be limited to one hour.  Then we’ll have some people finishing in the afternoon.

I’ve found it useful to keep a pen and paper with me and jot down things that strike me as I read.  This way I don’t forget before I finish the reading and have some things to think on or look into further during the day.  (Yes, I can be THAT forgetful.)

I think the main thing that has struck me thus far is God’s faithfulness in contrast to man’s failure and disobedience.

Our family has committed to pray for each of the 90 Day Challenge participants who signed up here at Raising Olives.  So if you’re listed in this post, please know that we are praying for you every day!  (If you’d like to be listed and prayed for, please let me know.)

So how are you doing?  If you post an update on your blog, feel free to link up here.  Otherwise just leave a comment and let us know if you’re up to date on your reading.

1. Chic_Mama @ Mama Kenz Studio
2. Dawn @ Olive Plants
3. Tina
4. Mother Hen (Day 2 Difficulties)
5. MamaJ @ Faithfully Following
6. meclarks @ My Daily Walk
7. valerie
8. Donna

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

For more information, to sign up for daily emails and Twitter discussions, read this post at Mom’s Toolbox.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

31 Responses to 90 Day Challenge: 3 Days In
  1. celee
    January 3, 2010 | 9:48 am

It’s amazing the details you notice when you read larger chunks of Scripture. I had completely forgotten that Rachel went back for the family gods! It seems like I’m usually reading the story of Jacob and Rachel or the story of Jacob and Esau, but never the WHOLE narrative at once. My husband noticed for the first time that even the animals were vegetarians in the beginning. And I had fun with the adding the ages to see how slim a margin Noah missed living while Adam lived. It was only like 100 yrs. I had done this before, but forgotten. It’s amazing that in such a relatively short time considering how long they lived that the people degenerated to such a degree!

Thanks for praying for us! I’m trying to stay one day ahead, but I’m a little nervous about this week and starting back to our school schedule.

School schedule is going all right here so far. How about at your house?

2. Andrea Maddiex
    January 3, 2010 | 11:06 am

Thank you so much for the prayers! The same goes here. I don’t have today’s reading in yet Sunday mornings are too busy. I will most likely sit down and get it in after morning services.

3. Alene
    January 3, 2010 | 11:32 am

I am sooo enjoying this, and so thankful for your prayers, Kimberly! I started a couple of days early, and have managed each day’s reading in the early morning hours.

Anyone else out there notice that God ‘blessed’ the birds and fishes, and that God ‘blessed’ man, but God DIDN”T ‘bless’ the land animals? Great conversation in our home as I wondered aloud why that was so. :-)

Never noticed that before. I’m going to have to look again. It’s amazing how much you can miss.

4. MacKenzie
    January 3, 2010 | 11:47 am

Oh thank you for the prayer! I need it! What a great idea- I should do that too! Thanks for the encouragement and I look forward to seeing how you all do with it! You are so blessed to have other people in your family reading along with you!

5. Gapgirl
    January 3, 2010 | 1:38 pm

You are so awesome and such an inspiration. Im doing the bible in one year which I have failed for many years but NOT THIS YEAR!!! I am determined to stay on task along with my 2 older girls and hubby! Good for you.
    XoxoGapGirl

It’s so much easier when someone else is doing it with you, especially your kids, they can be tough. :)

6. Morgan
    January 3, 2010 | 8:01 pm

I’m so enjoying the readings! I really love being able to get such a big overview so fast. Gives me a very different perspective. I think one of my favorite things I had forgotten was how long people lives. Man, 900+ years is a long time. I can’t even imagine. I think I’m going to do like you though and jot notes for later reference.

Your family is such an inspiration, Kimberly!

Thank you!

7. Chantelle
    January 3, 2010 | 9:15 pm

Thank you so much for the prayers!! I don’t think I have ever been this excited to read the Bible. I can’t wait until tomorrow to see what happens. :) My mom and brother-in-law who are doing it with me, have been having so much fun talking about what is going on, talking about what we had forgotten, what we didn’t remember. This is a blessing doing this with all of you too! Thank you for the encouragement!!

8. Jana
    January 3, 2010 | 9:53 pm

I am really enjoying reading this way! I have noticed several little things I never noticed before in these scriptures. Thanks for the prayers!

9. MomStarr
    January 3, 2010 | 10:27 pm

Thanks for the prayers and for the reminder to keep paper and pencil close by to write things down. At lunch today I already had some scriptures I needed discuss with my hubby and kids. As we together read through this it will provide some great table talk! I reminded the kids today that reading the Bible regularly gives us constant access to the mind of God; learning who He is and how we, His people, are supposed to worship and follow Him. God bless all who are a part of this reading challenge!!

10. Stephanie
    January 3, 2010 | 10:39 pm

I didn’t make it on the original list but would certainly covet your prayers. Like everyone else, I am a little concerned about what will happen tomorrow when ‘vacation’ is officially over. I have been reading in the evenings after we put the kids to bed. It is such a quiet, calming activity. Hoping the next 87 days go as well. Looking forward to reading with all of you!

I just added you to the list and you have my prayers.

How have the first two days of “back to school” gone?

11. Brandi
    January 3, 2010 | 11:08 pm

I thought I had signed up on your original post but I suppose I must have only mentally done it : ) I would love to be added to your prayer list. This challenge is already blessing my life.

Added and praying for you. I mentally (and only mentally) do things all the time and then wonder what happened. :)

12. Kaycee
    January 3, 2010 | 11:34 pm

Please add me to your prayer list. I have never read the bible before and I am amazed that it has been so manageable. The 90 Days website has a listen while you read feature that I plan to use if I start having trouble concentrating.

Glad to have you aboard.

13. Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads
    January 3, 2010 | 11:58 pm

So far, things are going well at our house. I keep pointing out things that I find interesting to my husband. Periodically, my daughter will come running in with things that she had read that strike her. (It’s interesting to see what stands out to her.) Both of these things have lead to some interesting conversations at our house.

14. Sue O'Mullan
    January 5, 2010 | 2:57 am

I am reading this out loud to my son with autism and mental retardation. He seems to be enjoying my voice and the words… I am amazed at his “stamina with attending” where his skill level is quite different with all other activities. I think he likes the challenge as well! He repeats some words after I say them which tells me that he is getting his own interpretation as well! I pray that he and I will complete the 90 days together!!!! On a quick note: does anyone get lost with the sons and the lines of families? e.g. the son of the son of the son… ??? my word… I will never ever ever ever remember that part!!!!

I often get very lost. It often will repeat some things so it takes a lot of re-reading.

Praying for you and for your son as you complete this challenge!

15. Kimberlyb
    January 5, 2010 | 3:13 pm

Here it is 5 days in and My life has gotten in the way again I haven’t even been able to purchse a bible yet. We also had stomach flu run rammpant and then my youngest had a bad sprain to her ankle. My oldest is officially moving into to her first apartment and I will have to help her move. I will try to purchase one this comming weekend and try to play catch up.

I’m praying for you daily. Be sure you purchase that Bible this weekend, but I suggest you don’t try to catch up, just finish a few days behind us. I’m afraid that trying to catch up with so much reading each day will simply discourage you. It won’t matter if you read from Jan 1- March 31 or from Jan. 7- April something.

Just get that Bible and get going!!!! :)

16. valerie
    January 5, 2010 | 9:46 pm

I am loving this commitment. Could there be anything better to be committed to? Thank for letting me hear about this Kim. I am loving it. Well, I am loving diving into the bible and being held accountable, but I am not loving reading about the horrible rampant sin going on all over Genesis! Oh wait, *cough*, I am a horrible sinner too. My husband, sweetly, reminded me of that when I would be reading next to him and suddenly gasp, and put the bible down and say “I can’t believe he did that! He should have known better!!”. Being reminded that we were in the same “sinner” boat as the young man who slept with his dads concubine, ON HIS COUCH, is humbling. Truly apart from Christ, there is none righteous.

Thank you, Valerie. Yes, I’m always convicted by the Israelite’s unfaithfulness. I’m the same way. I don’t remember God’s faithful acts and I worry. We are no better, but God is merciful.

17. Stephanie
    January 5, 2010 | 11:26 pm

Just finished ‘Day 5′ and I have a question for any who may want to respond. Why did God keep hardening Pharaoh’s heart? I know he mentioned it was so all would believe but was it really that it would take 10 plagues to get to this point? If it was just that the plague of the firstborn would be the one that finally won people over, why didn’t he just start with that? At one point Pharaoh’s advisors even said (10:7), “Come on, let’s just let them go.” Yet God chose to harden his heart again. Just wondering if anyone else was confused by this. Hoping you all are warmer than Kansas!!!

I don’t have a great answer for you, but here are some of my thoughts.

This demonstrates that God ordains the means as well as the ends. He wished and planned for them to go through that whole proces and brought it about through Pharaoh’s hard heart. He was glorified, not just by bringing Israel out of Egypt, but also by going through all those plagues.

I’ve read that each of the plagues was directed at one of the god’s of Egypt. I can’t remember much more than that, but may be something interesting to look into.

I’ve also heard that if you read carefully that you will see that the whole land of Egypt must have been completely devastated by these plagues. That their economy and way of life would have been totally disrupted for years into the future. So perhaps bringing Egypt down from being a world power was one of God’s purposes.

Honestly in the end we just have to say, as the Bible does, it was for God’s glory and beyond that we are just guessing.

18. Alice
    January 6, 2010 | 5:50 pm

I am late to this post because I do my Bible reading after settling the children to sleep, and BEFORE allowing myself to switch on the computer! I have a bad cold this week and my brain feels a bit like soup, so it is taking me a good 2 hours each evening to get the words to really go in! I don’t mind that, but it does mean I am not keeping up with blogs at the moment! I am up to date with the readings (Day 6 now) and enjoying it so far! I do go to Amy’s blog first thing when I go online to check what the reading is for the next day (I’m using my NIV), and sometimes check in there.

Great job Alice! It doesn’t matter to me when you respond as long as you do and blogging is not compulsory. :)