90 Day Challenge: Day 10 Update

I had a couple of days this week that were tough to get all the reading in, but I’m enjoying the reading and the time set apart to sit quietly and focus on God’s word.  I’ve learned that I must get my reading done first thing in the morning, if I put it off and start into the rest of the day it’s very difficult to get back to it.  So for me it’s all or nothing first thing in the morning.  So far, I’m up to date.

The children are doing a great job and are all caught up.  They read in the morning with me and finish in the afternoon.

Mark is also up to date.  He is reading the first half of the reading the night before it is due and then finishing up in the morning.  He is alos currently up to date.

Even though I’ve read through the Bible a number of times, I came across a couple of verses that I never remember reading before.  It’s Exodus 24:9-10

I had to read and re-read to make sure that I wasn’t misunderstanding it.  Moses and 73 other men saw God?  I don’t remember reading that before.

I was also struck again with how God loves beauty, Exodus 28:2

And you shall make holy garments for Aaron your brother, for glory and for beauty.

The priest’s garments and the tabernacle were beautiful because God commanded them to be so.  I think this could be applied to how we choose to dress for church.

If you are on the Raising Olives list of participants, our family is praying for you daily through this challenge, please let us know if there is something specific you would like us to add.

How is your reading going?  Are you up to date?  What have you noticed as you’ve read through Exodus and Leviticus this week?   Are you as nervous about Numbers as I am?  Please feel free to link up your 90 Day Challenge update post or leave a comment below to let us know how you are doing, so that we will better know how to pray for you.  Also you may link up your post at Mom’s Toolbox.

1. Dawn @ Olive Plants
2. Alice @ Blessed Mummy to 4 Precious Little Ones
3. Tonia @ The Sunny Patch
4. Amy
5. Meclarks @ My Daily Walk

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

Tomorrow Toni who blogs at The Happy Housewife will be guest posting the official 90 Day Challenge check-in post on Mom’s Toolbox, so head over there for her insights and encouragement.  Also, don’t forget to join in the 90 Day Challenge Twitter party on Monday evening.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

26 Responses to 90 Day Challenge: Day 10 Update
  1. Michelle
    January 10, 2010 | 9:36 am

Funny, I was struck by those very passages as well, and don’t remember noticing them in past readings either!

2. Leann
    January 10, 2010 | 10:31 am

I actually did not sign up for your 90 day challenge, but I did start it. Unfortunatly with 2 sick kids this week I find my self a few days behind. I will not fret over it too much, as in 1 1/2 weeks, I will spend 3 days at a hotel with a girl friend, no kids, and have lots of alone time for reading and such. So I should be back on track then, maybe even a little ahead of schedule if I am lucky.

Hope you have fun (and catch up) during your time with your friend. :)

3. Alene
    January 10, 2010 | 10:34 am

“Then Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, and they saw the God of Israel; and under His feet there appeared to be a pavement of sapphire, as clear as the sky itself.”
    I, too, noted that passage and I wondered how that fits with God’s statement to Moses that ‘no man can see the face of God and live’?

I have also been struck by the specifying of names. God NAMED Bezalel and Oholiab to fashion the Tabernacle, and He NAMED the heads of each tribe who were to help Moses take the census.
    And then in Numbers 13 (I started a couple of days early) He NAMES the ten spies who bring back the bad report and dissuade the people from entering the land. I fool myself if I think that my quiet decisions each day are unimportant. He KNOWS MY NAME, and at any time may either CALL my name for a specific task, or RECORD my name over decisions I have made and actions I have taken.

I think Michelle makes a good point. (Remember later God put Moses in the cleft of the rock and just allowed him to look at his back.) This must not have been God in His full manifestation of glory.

Yes, I love that he is a God of INDIVIDUALS! Great point.

4. Dawna
    January 10, 2010 | 4:13 pm

I did not sign up for the 90 day challenge because of fear of failure. I am committing to reading God’s Word in a year which in and of itself is a challenge for me. I began my one year journey in December and have been savoring my alone time with my precious Lord in the mornings. I, like you Kimberly, find it hard to squeeze in the time during the day and at night I am way too exhausted to remain focused. I find it best if I wake up before the rest of my household and being my day with prayer and my Quiet Time. It is a great way to start the day and it feels so nice to bask in God’s presence in the wee hours of the morning. It stills my soul and starts my day off with my heart in the right place… centered on my Savior.

It’s so nice to know what works for us. I too like having that time in the morning to focus the rest of my day.

Keep up the good work and please keep us updated with how you are doing.

5. Michelle @ DL
    January 10, 2010 | 4:38 pm

Well, they didn’t actually see God ~ they saw a glimpse of His glory ~ enough to know it was Him. For no man can see Him and live. *Ü*

6. celee
    January 10, 2010 | 4:50 pm

It’s going great, it must be your prayers. I need you to pray about our homeschool, too! Math has been a struggle this year.

Oh, let’s not talk about homeschooling right now. Too many TOS review things, too many kids and not enough momma energy or brain power. Need to sit down with Mark and figure out priorities.

7. Tonya
    January 10, 2010 | 5:09 pm

OH, this has been so fun for me. I have never read the whole Bible through, though I have tried many times. Reading it in 90 days has been a great blessing to me. I have stayed on track and am learning so much. I think reading so much at one time has made me stay focused. It seems when I would try to read it in a year, it just wasn’t enough. I don’t know why I felt that I had to read just what was suppose to be read for that day, but I did.

Thank you for your prayer. What a Blessing you are to Many!!!

Tonya

Thank you Tonya. I’m glad that it’s going well for you. Our family has done the Bible in a year and I’ve got to say that this is much better on a number of levels. I feel like I’m learning more and it’s been fairly easy to stay on track.

Congrats with staying on schedule!!

8. Alice
    January 10, 2010 | 6:28 pm

I’m on track!!!! :) Woohoo! I will link up here tomorrow because I am going to join the new linky thing at Amy’s blog tomorrow (she asked if everyone could link there each Monday, rather than at individual blogs I think) and write a post for it then.

I can’t believe I’m on track! I’m so excited! I’m enjoying reading, and for me it is evenings only. I struggle to even get up when the little ones do (early!) and am very much a night owl. As soon as the children are in bed for the night, the first thing I must do is my Bible reading, however long that takes, and only once I have finished will I allow myself to switch on the laptop. It’s a good slot and a good motivator for me, so it is working. Some evenings the reading has been “drier” than usual, or I have struggled to take it in (I have been sick with a bad cold this week and very tired!), but that just means that it takes me pretty much ALL evening to read it. Sometimes I stop and start and it covers 2-3 hours, but in the evening it’s relaxing and quiet, so I don’t mind a long drawn out time cosied-up on the sofa reading the Bible.

I am really getting a feel for God’s holiness through reading Leviticus. My spirit is becoming restless and uncomfortable with “minor” worldly distractions from God’s holiness, which I hadn’t seen so clearly before. I like being sharpened like this! :)

Congrats on being on track, little kids and all!!!

I love how you described your evening time with God. I love how we are all so different and am fascinated with how others function. During this pregnancy I struggle to stay up as late as the children (and they go to bed early). :)

9. Dawn
    January 10, 2010 | 8:28 pm

I am as nervous about Numbers as you are, Kimberly. Praying daily that I will read with focus and not gloss over anything. I was behind for a couple of days but got caught up this afternoon.

Please pray for me. I am experiencing terrible sciatica pain. This is a recurring thing; had surgery 2 years ago and haven’t had a “flair up” since. The pain started yesterday, and I am currently unable to walk.

I went to Matthew Henry’s commentary on Ex 24. He seems to agree with Michelle that the men saw a glimpse of God’s glory. Here’s a link if anyone’s interested. http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/matthew-henry-complete/exodus/24.html

Day 2 of Numbers down and two to go and you know what? I’m enjoying Numbers! :)

I will certainly be praying for your sciatica pain. I’ve heard that’s really difficult to deal with.

Thanks for the Matthew Henry link to answer that question.

10. Cindy
    January 10, 2010 | 8:47 pm

I was doing great until this weekend. We have not been home until late and I knew I wasn’t going to be ablr to focus. I plan to be caught up by Wednesday.
    I have really been blessed!

11. isabelle and santiago
    January 11, 2010 | 9:35 am

hi! i’m happy I stumbled upon your website, I started the challenge and hope to do ti in 1 year! thanks

and hi to the other pointe-claire reader!

isabelle and santiago

12. Alene
    January 11, 2010 | 9:56 am

I have been a disciple of Jesus for 29 years now, and have read and reread the scriptures many times.

So how is it I am still finding things I have NEVER read before???

I suppose it would be more accurate to say I am finding things I have never truly seen before. Such as the test for adultery in Numbers 5:11-31. While it seems pretty wild, I recognize it as a great protection for the women of Israel. My in-laws spent years in Indonesia – a strongly Muslim country – and the tales they tell of the lot of women in that society are chilling. In this passage, I see the Lord showing both His vigilance in preserving the purity of the marriage relationship and compassion for and His strong arm toward a woman unjustly accused. Justice and mercy.

I am loving taking in the scriptures in large gulps. Even ‘scary’ stuff like the endless descriptions of the tabernacle and the lists of names and numbers of the people seem less overwhelming taken in large pieces. Seems counter-intuitive, but isn’t that true of so much with the Lord? :-)

That Numbers passage has always fascinated me. I agree with your idea that this is a protection of women while still keeping the marriage relationship pure. Who better to judge guilt or innocence than our omnipotent God.

I also am enjoying taking the scriptures in large gulps. Shame on me for not doing this with the Old Testament before. It does seem easier.

Thanks Alene.

13. jeana
    January 11, 2010 | 11:00 am

I am a few days behind, I’m guessing because our whole entire schedule changed last week. I plan on getting caught up by Wed. I have tried reading the whole Bible in a year with no luck. This way is perfect for me! Its helping me stay focused and really get into what I’m reading. What a blessing! My husband also joined in.

I’m glad that your husband is joining you.
    Keep up the good work.

14. Chantelle
    January 11, 2010 | 11:16 am

Thank you so much for your prayers, I need them. I’ve stumbled a little here or there. I have been trying to read half in the morning and half in the evening. Well, time gets away from me, so I find myself trying to catch up while waiting at dentist appointments or something like that. I think I’m just going to have to face the fact that I need to get up earlier and do all of my reading in the morning to ensure that I don’t get too far behind. Do you read in the morning before your kids wake up or while they are working too? I am still excited that we will have read the Bible in 90 days, but I’m also afraid of failing too.

We are in this together. Part of the reason that I’m still caught up is because I know that you all are out there and are going to know if I get too far behind. :)

I begin my reading before my children are up, but they are early risers and usually join me by 5:30 or 6. All the children that can read are also reading their Bibles and the little ones take turns snuggling with me or playing (hopefully quietly).

You can do this!!!

15. Amy @ MomsToolbox
    January 11, 2010 | 3:50 pm

It sounds like your whole family is doing really well… Awesome!
    It amazes me how many things I find each time I read it straight through like this that I didn’t see before, too. I think I missed Exodus 24:9-10 all the other times, as well. I wonder why He brought it to mind this time…
    Just prayed for you and your family. :)

16. Kimberly @ Raising Olives
    January 11, 2010 | 6:25 pm

Thank you Amy for your encouragement, prayers and work in putting all this together.