90 Day Challenge: Day 23

Well, the honeymoon is over, the newness has worn off, we’ve figured how to fit it in and we’re at the point that all it takes now is perseverance and consistency.  We simply must keep doing what we’ve been doing.

I’ve read that it takes 21 days to form a habit and we are 23 days into this challenge so hopefully we all have laid a solid groundwork for the habit of reading the Bible every single day.  My prayer is that when we finish this challenge we will all continue to be faithful with daily Bible reading and prayer.

We read one of my favorite stories in the whole Bible this week, the story of Gideon.  I can really relate and understand Gideon.  I react very similarly to how he reacts and I love how God is patient and encourages him in his human-ness.  There are several interesting and humorous parts of this story, but there are two that I especially like.

The story of Gideon begins in Judges 6.  The Angel of the Lord appears to Gideon and tells him that he is to save the Israelites from the oppression of the Midianites.  At this point Gideon asks for a sign and he is given a sign of fire springing up from the rock and consuming the meal that he has laid out for the angel.  Now Gideon is convinced that this is indeed the Angel of the Lord.  Yet, a little while later we have the instance of the fleece.

Gideon says in Judges 6:36 “If Thou wilt deliver Israel through me, as Thou hast spoken,”  and then asks for the signs with the fleece.   God has spoken and yet Gideon needs some extra convincing, just to make sure.  Rather than be angry at Gideon’s lack of faith, God performs first one sign and then another to give Gideon that reassurance that this is indeed His plan.

In Judges 7:9-10 are some of my favorite verses in the whole Bible.

Now the same night it came about that the Lord said to him, “Arise, go down against the camp, for I have given it into your hands. But if you are afraid to go down, go with Purah your servant down to the camp, and you will hear what they say; and afterward your hands will be strengthened that you may go down against the camp.”

I love that God understands the fear that we humans have and despite the many times that God had shown Himself powerful to save Israel out of all manner of predicaments, He graciously provides a way to encourage and strengthen Gideon in the task that was laid out before him.

Yes, I can relate to Gideon.  I’ve seen time and again in my own life where God has made decisions extremely clear for me and where God has encouraged and strengthened me to do what I knew I needed to do all along.  I’m very thankful for God’s mercy, patience and kindness even in the midst of my doubt and unbelief.

Now it’s your turn.  If’ you’ve posted an update about the 90 Day Challenge feel free to link up here so that our family is better able to pray for you as you work through reading the Bible in 90 days.  Also be sure to link your post up with Mom’s Toolbox tomorrow.

1. Everyday Morgan
2. valerie
3. Stephanie
4. Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads
5. Alice @ Blessed Mummy to 4 Precious Little Ones
6. Tonia @ The Sunny Patch
7. Miscellaneous Musings of a 5X Mom

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

If you don’t have a blog or would rather not post about it, please leave a comment and let us know how you’re doing.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

18 Responses to 90 Day Challenge: Day 23
  1. Jenny
    January 24, 2010 | 1:44 pm

Yay! I’m just starting week 2, but feel very comfortable with the pace- the weekends are the hardest since I usually read at night and both Fri & Sat get so busy! Just finished Genesis- WOW!

I also find weekends to be more difficult.

Great job Jenny!

2. MomStarr
    January 24, 2010 | 1:55 pm

My husband and oldest son are right on track and actually a little ahead. I read much slower and am a few days behind but am not discouraged. I just keep on reading!! I love the Old testament and am soooo thankful for the whole counsel of God found in both the Old and New Testaments. The sacrificial system is finished in Christ and boy am I thankful!! The hope we have in Christ’s finished work is a deep, deep comfort! I am heading into 1 Samuel and looking forward to the many ways God reveals HImself there! I find myself face to face with many, if not all, of God’s attributes as I read each day; a very humbling and awe inspiring experience. He truly is the awesome God of heaven and earth. Blessed be His name.

Yes, don’t get discouraged, just keep reading.

I’m loving Kings and the faster reading pace. So many things that I didn’t think about before.

3. ♥ Tamara ♥
    January 24, 2010 | 4:11 pm

I haven’t really been posting any updates, but thankfully, I am still on track and nearly finding it somewhat easy. I’ve NEEDED to do this for some time and I’m so grateful that I am making the time for His word to be my primary reading.

Thank you for letting me know that you’re making time for this. I committed because I also wanted this to be a priority.

4. Stephanie
    January 24, 2010 | 6:09 pm

I started reading this past Wednesday and am loving it! I’m learning so much more reading it like a story instead of just reading one or two chapters at a time. Saturday and Sunday are the hardest days for me so far because that’s when my hubby is home. Currently I do not have a job and we don’t have kids so I have more time to read, but I’m hoping that I’m forming good habits so that when I get a job, I will still commit to reading daily!

I agree that there is something different about reading it as a story. I want to do this every year and then work through more in depth study for the remainder of the year.

5. Alene
    January 24, 2010 | 11:12 pm

On track. Thank you for your prayers, Kimberly! Over 1/4 through, and it is indeed becoming more automatic. When I finish for the day, I feel kind of sad. It’s amazing to me – though I suppose it shouldn’t be – how many times the passages I’ve read seem to ‘come up’ during the day. God is so faithful to encourage me in my baby steps of following Him!

And God blesses our baby steps and turns them into leaps of progress. He is so good!

6. celee
    January 24, 2010 | 11:53 pm

Maybe I’ll post a 90 day update tomorrow. 1 and 2 Samuel have been hard for me. I studied them last year in CBS, but they’re still hard for me. I see God’s sovereignty and His glory, but there’s much I don’t understand. I’m glad to be in Kings now. And I’m really looking foward to Psalms and Proverbs!

7. celee
    January 24, 2010 | 11:54 pm

Oh and I forgot to say thank you for praying for us. We went out of town for a wedding and by the grace of God I was able to keep up with my reading. I’m no longer ahead, but we were gone 3 days and I’m not behind either. I’d say that’s a small victory.

Are you enjoying Kings?

Great job staying caught up. I agree that is a victory.

I’m happy that two of my BlissDom room mates are also doing the 90 Day Challenge. I’m hoping that will make it easier to stay caught up.

8. Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads
    January 25, 2010 | 2:16 am

Just wanted to say thank you for the prayers.

9. bunny
    January 25, 2010 | 11:59 am

I am on track and enjoying it, but then I have an empty nest and it is so much easier for me. I pray for and really respect you moms with children in the home still! I don’t think I would be keeping up it the kids were still here.

10. Lisa
    January 27, 2010 | 2:04 am

I have been reading your blog from time to time and checked in today. I found it fun that I just read this passage yesterday. I am sure it wasnt by accident I was reminded of it again today. It is an awesome verse.

11. Rhonda
    January 27, 2010 | 11:37 am

Hi, I too am reading the Bible in 90 days. However, I am behind. I hate that I’ve slipped and gotten behind. I would appreciate your prayers! Thanks so much!

Rhonda – I will certainly pray for you. Just keep up from where you are now. You have noticed how amazingly gracious and merciful God is, right?

Just keep on, keeping on. :)