Freezer OAMC Cooking: Beef Recipes

I’m beginning to go through my file of questions that readers have asked and many, many of you have asked for once a month cooking recipes.  We cook with 4 other families and we cook for two months at a time.  I’ve posted some more details about our mega bulk cooking previously as well as pictures from one of our cook days .  Here I explain how we bulk cook with a group.

These beef recipes all serve about 8 people:

Calico Beans

1/4  lb dry light red kidney beans
1  cans pork-n-beans
1/4  lb dry pinto beans
1  cups brown sugar
2  lb beef cook
1/4  cups apple cider vinegar
1/3  cups ketchup
1  lb bacon cooked and crumbled
1  TBS yellow mustard

Before cook day prep:

Cook and drain all dry beans.

Cook day:

Combine all ingredients

Eat day:

Heat and eat.  We serve this with brown rice so that it stretches farther.

Burger Cups

2 lb beef raw
0.5 lb sausage raw
3 tsp salt
1.5 tsp pepper
1 onion fresh onion
3 egg
1.5 cup oatmeal
1.5 can tom sauce
0.1 cup water
1 bag bell pepper
1 can french green beans
0.5 pkg almond sliver
1 can golden mushroom soup (Campbell’s brand, can be hard to find, but worth it.  We don’t care for this recipe with regular cream of mush)

Before cook day prep:

Mince onion.  If using fresh green bell pepper chop.

Cook day:

Combine first 10 ingredients.  Form into serving sized balls and make a well in the center to form a cup type shape.  Mix last 3 ingredients.  Fill the center of each burger cup with the bean/golden mushroom soup mixture.  Fully cook at 350 degrees.

Eat day:

1 tsp parsely leaves fresh
3 each bay leaves
1 tbs flour

Before cook day prep:

Wash and chop veggies.

Cook day:

Combine ingredients and pour over meat.

Eat day:

Thaw.  Cook in crock pot on low 6-8 hours.

Balkan Meatballs

1 lb g. turkey raw
1 lb beef raw
1/2 cup fresh onion

Before cook day prep:

chop onion

Cook day:

Combine all ingredients and shape into meatballs.  Cook at 350 until done.  (For our specific mulit-family cook day we have a specific number of meatballs that goes on each baking sheet.  Each family gets one tray of meatballs to take home.  This makes it much easier than counting meatballs when it’s time to divide for each family.  Any extra meatballs we divide evenly.)

Eat day:

Heat and eat.  Use your imagination.  Meatball subs, spaghetti, etc.

African Beef and Rice

3 lb round steak
1 leaf bay leaf
1 tsp salt
0.125 tsp c.red pepper
1 pep green pepper
1 onion fresh onion
0.75 tsp curry
0.25 tsp pepper
1 cup water

Before cook day prep:

Chop onion

Cook day:

Place meat in bag and dump all spices on top

Eat day:

Thaw.  Cook in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours.  Serve over rice.

More recipes to come.

So how many of you once a month cook or do some variation on that idea?

Share on Facebook2Pin on Pinterest23Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

21 Responses to Freezer OAMC Cooking: Beef Recipes
  1. Chantelle
    January 14, 2010 | 12:52 pm

Thank you, can’t wait to try some of these! :)

2. KJ
    January 14, 2010 | 1:48 pm

Your calico beans recipe looks so good! I will for sure be trying that one!

Kelly

3. Katie from NC
    January 14, 2010 | 2:08 pm

Thanks for the effort of posting these. They all sound great!

4. Stephanie
    January 14, 2010 | 2:14 pm

Thanks you :D

5. mommytomy2+2
    January 15, 2010 | 8:35 am

Thank you so much for sharing these receipes. I will be trying them out.

6. Rachel
    January 16, 2010 | 6:01 pm

OOh OOh!!! Thanks for posting your meal list! The smell of beef is still bothering me but hopefully, I can make a beef rotation in the next month or so! Those Burger cups sound great!

I also have a group of chicken, another of pork and other meat and several meatless recipes to post over the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

How is your cooking going?

7. Tristan from the Crew
    January 17, 2010 | 10:54 am

I am just getting materials gathered to make some of these this week – they sound yummy.

Thanks for posting them!

P.S. I think the first I’ll try is burger cups.

8. Michelle
    January 18, 2010 | 9:18 am

Thank you for posting these. I have used one of these recipes before, but the others seem to be new ones for me and I am hoping I can substitute venison for the beef. :)

We have used many recipes from the 30 Day Gourmet Cookbook (many of these recipes are available for free at their website) and a few from one of Sue Gregg’s cookbooks, too. I am not as “organized” about doing once a month cooking as I used to be. I used to purchase meats during sales and then make up about 20 meals at once, eating one that night and putting 1 or 2 in the refrigerator for the following day while the rest went to the freezer. I do less of this now.

One factor is our busy schedule; another is that now much of the meat we use is venison, which when we pick it up at the processor’s is usually already frozen. So now I often thaw a few days of meat at once in the bottom of my refrigerator. Last night I started a big pot of Sue Gregg’s Best Burrito Beans, and I will add a 1.5 lb. package of cooked, seasoned ground venison to that to make a large batch of burritos this week.

I still do buy chicken at Sam’s Club and use a number of marinades for it (see the 30 Day Gourmet website for a few good free ones) and in nice, summer weather we often grill chicken for 2-3 meals at a time and then refrigerate the leftovers.

I believe we have saved lots of money and a great deal of time with bulk cooking. :)

I think you’re right about saving money and time. We love Sue Gregg, but haven’t used her recipes for OAMC. I do use them for breakfast and lunch though.

9. Britney
    March 10, 2010 | 3:13 pm

I love the idea of cooking with a group and then freezing them. I do have two questions for you. 1. What do you freeze the meals in; pans, bags?? 2. You said, in a previous post, that you use a program to multiply the ingredients to the number of families you’re making these for, and that it gives you a simplified shopping list. What program do you use that can do this?

Thank you for all the in depth info. This is great!

10. Julie
    August 6, 2010 | 5:34 pm

How many do these recipes serve?

These recipes serve about 8.

11. Jennifer Jordan
    January 5, 2011 | 4:24 pm

Hi, Kim! I am going to OAMC soon with a friend who is due at the end of the month. We are gathering recipes, etc. The burger cups sound yummy – but when do you freeze them? Any other favs or tips for a first timer are welcome!

Happy New Year!

Hi Jennifer. We freeze them after they are fully cooked. We wrap them individually in sandwich bags and then put them into a gallon size freezer bag.

12. Mommy of 2
    January 25, 2011 | 10:13 pm

Hi..I just wanted to say how excited i am to run across this website. I have been looking for ways to lower our grocery budget with out necs. having to skimp and even though there are only 4 of us..i think i will def be trying some of theses recipes and it’ll just give me even more frozen meal….so excited…..who wouldnt love a quick and easy homemade meal w/o all the hassel everyday….thanks again

Your timing is perfect. I just scheduled a post for more freezer recipes. (It will post this morning.) And I have more coming shortly.

13. Eugenia
    January 24, 2012 | 12:55 pm

Hi, Mom of 4, 5 if you include the big one I am married too :) Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy life to post these tips and recipes. Just this morning I was telling my mom about your site and said, why re-invent the wheel when these ladys are already crusing down the road! I do have a question though, in regards to the recipes I noticed that you use measurments like 1 bag of green bell peppers and 0.1 cups of water, I am not sure what that means. I really want to try these recipes but don’t want to mess up the ingredients :) Thanks so much!

Hi Eugenia,

Sorry about the odd measurements. The bag of green bell peppers should be just an average sized bag. The burger cups are kind of like a meatloaf, a little more or less green pepper shouldn’t make any difference.

The .1 cup of water is 1/10 cup of water. It’s not a normal measurement simply because our program requires uniformity. My guess is that the original measurement was in Tablespoons or teaspoons and it was converted to cups.

Eugenia Reply:

Thank you so much! I was super excited to see a response in my inbox today! I look at your site everyday and have started using some of your organizing tips already! I love the idea of oamc and the one with having meal plans and coordinating shopping lists already together and filed… SO EASY! Being a military family we don’t know anyone really where we live (WA) and the closest family are in Texas and Florida! My mom is coming for a visit in a few weeks and we plan to get A LOT of dishes prepared and in the freezer! Thanks so much!

14. Susan
    October 4, 2012 | 1:44 pm

I’m new to all of this. Our family just increased; we took in two teenaged boys. Your beef brisket sounds great. Do you add all the ingredients to a cooked brisket or is it still raw when you freeze it? Thank you.