Pregnancy Update: Goodbye First Trimester

Well here we are closing in on week 16, feeling better and getting caught up around the house.  I’m thankful that my nausea didn’t last as long as it often does for me and have been rejoicing in good health again.

During the last 3 1/2 months I’ve lived on sub sandwiches, seriously.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner I would have a sub sandwich, but not any sub sandwich would do.  Nope, my sandwiches had to be laden with pickles, two complete layers of pickles and I mean layers, no gaps between them a full layer of pickles.  Nothing else tasted good, so I had the sandwiches laden with spinach and tomato and didn’t worry about eating anything else.

Image courtesy of gorgeoux

The only other thing that really sounded and tasted good was a Peppermint milkshake.  No, I didn’t have these every day, but they were a nice treat and contrast to my otherwise mundane diet.

It’s a long story that I hope to post about eventually but I’m trying, by my diet to have a smaller baby (under 9 pounds), otherwise I will be stuck with having my first c-section ever.  So very little, to no sugar and refined foods for me.  Avoiding a c-section is pretty good motivation to just say, “no”.

I’m starting to look pregnant, well at least that’s what I hope, otherwise I’m just looking a bit chubby.  (OK, just looked in the mirror, I’d say it’s definitely just chubby, not pregnant.  Just trying to be honest here ladies.)   I also graduated to not being able to button several of my pairs of jeans this week so I’m loving the  BellaBands that I purchased during my last pregnancy.

Have you seen these?  bella bands, bellabandsThey are a terrific invention that give your belly a bit of support and allow you to continue to wear your regular clothing well into your pregnancy.

You just leave your jeans, pants or skirts unbuttoned and the BellaBands keep them up and smooths out where the fasteners are.  Last pregnancy I just wore my regular bottoms until toward the very end of the pregnancy.  I was also able to go right back into my regular pants and skirts as soon as the baby was born.

So I’m still wearing all of my regular clothes which gives me a lot of diversity even though I got rid of most of my maternity clothes after the last baby.  (Honestly, after 9 pregnancies I need some new things.)

The house is being deep cleaned after 3 months of the children surface cleaning without mom checking.  Our schedule has been updated and I’ve got all sorts of new plans and ideas.  I LOVE the second trimester.

We go in for an ultrasound on February 8.  Not sure if we want to find out the babies gender, but it will be fun see the baby and make sure that everything looks fine.

I figured since I posted about morning sickness was that I owed you an update.  Thank you to everyone who prayed for me during that time.  I needed and appreciate it!

So, how are you doing?  Are you up, do you have it all together? Down, trying to dig out?  Do you want me to quit posting about myself?  Are you wondering if I’m ever going to post a birth story?

Comments = love to a blogger, so leave one. 🙂

This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure page for more information.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

54 Responses to Pregnancy Update: Goodbye First Trimester
  1. Kathryn
    January 22, 2010 | 9:26 am

Glad to hear that you are doing ok. I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for Top 50 Mommy Bloggers over at Babble.

I had never heard of the Bella Bands – wish they had them when I had been pregnant.

Take care and God Bless!

Wow, thank you. I’ll have to go check that out.

2. kim
    January 22, 2010 | 9:35 am

So glad that you are feeling better!
    Loving the “your child’s heart” series that you are doing. This is embarassing but I have never been introduced to anything like this even though I was raised in church and have spent all of my adult life faithful to the Lord. I guess there were some examples here and there of what you are talking about, but no one teaching it. I desperately want this for my family, for my children. I am so guilty of letting my emotions get away with me and dishing out, at times, a belittling and grace starved discipline to my children. I definitely will be praying about this and can’t wait to hear more.

Thank you for your encouragement. We are all guilty at times of failing as parents. I’m so thankful that we serve a gracious and merciful God. And I’m thankful that He does not give up on us, but leads and guides are paths so that we will grow in Him.

3. bunny
    January 22, 2010 | 9:46 am

So glad to have you back among the living! I bet hubby is too!

4. Tristan from the Crew
    January 22, 2010 | 10:11 am

Glad you are feeling better! Do you usually find out the baby’s gender? (We’ve done both). Good luck getting the house back together!

We’ve also done both. (about the baby’s gender)

1. didn’t know
    2. found out at 36 weeks, but didn’t tell anyone. 🙂
    3. didn’t know
    4. found out early
    5. hubby found out, but didn’t tell me or anyone else.
    6. found out
    7. didn’t know
    8. didn’t know
    9. found out

We will probably find out this time because we’re planning on moving bedrooms around and because of my “high risk” status I’ll have a lot of ultra sounds.

5. Rebecca
    January 22, 2010 | 11:48 am

glad you are feeling better…i’m ready for some birth stories! 🙂

6. Lisa
    January 22, 2010 | 11:51 am

So glad to hear that you’re feeling well again, Soon you’ll have a darling newborn in your arms. I am looking forward to the photos! All your kids are so beautiful!
    As I am a woman of leisure these days, I have been working on perfecting my no-knead bread and experimenting with sourdough. It’s been a process of trial and error but my family is willing to eat my not so perfect loaves as well as the really impressive ones. Almost any bread is good toasted I’m discovering.
    I have been getting to know my new grandaughter…she is amazing!
    I have also been feeling very strong feelings of gratitude for the countless blessings I enjoy daily. This has been on my mind a lot.
    That’s what’s up here…You did ask.
    I love birth storys!!!

Oh, when you have it perfected I’d love the directions. We are having a horrible time with bread lately.

I’m so glad that you’re enjoying your new grand daughter and you have another grand baby on the way, right? That’s wonderful.

Courtney Reply:

Raising Arrows has a great Wheat Bread recipe from her grandmother that is wonderful! I had good success with white bread, but my wheat loaves were always heavy and yeasty and lacking saltiness. Hers are fantastic and taught me method that I hadn’t known previously. Maybe you’d like to check it out! Thanks for your blog. I just found out that I’m expecting my sixth and was searching for how other moms prepare as it can be a bit daunting. So thankful to have your blog as a resource.

7. Hannah
    January 22, 2010 | 11:57 am

Yay for being back in the land of the living! When I was on pr*vera last month I got a little taste of morning sickness…no fun! I lived off of hot cocoa and tea for a week. Subs with pickles sounds much better. 🙂

Blessings!

Hannah

I’ve got to say that subs and pickles is much healthier and more normal than some of my other cravings. 🙂

8. Stephanie
    January 22, 2010 | 12:00 pm

I love your blog! I’m the youngest of 7 and will be celebrating 2 years of marriage in May. We don’t have kids, but it’s on our mind! You have so much wisdom and I have loved just sitting back and taking it all in! 🙂

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me.

9. Sandpiper
    January 22, 2010 | 12:08 pm

Thanks for the update! I need to update my blog too, now that I’m 21 weeks. Glad you’re feeling better too! A peppermint milkshake sounds really good! I have heard of those belly bands, but I don’t know where to get them where I live(Canada). I do, however, love ‘before & after’ pants, the kind with just an elastic waist band(instead of the big panel). Blessings!

I ordered my bellabands on line. If you order through my link I get a small commission. 😉

I haven’t seen those before and after pants. I’ll have to investigate.

10. Jamie
    January 22, 2010 | 12:12 pm

I’m glad you’re feeling better! I had my first baby 6 months ago and when I was pregnant with her I could eat a sandwich every single day! I loved going to Subway, but I’d also make myself sandwiches at home. They HAD to have black olives and pickles on them! I actually can pickles with my mother-in-law every summer and one day I came home and NEEDED to eat some of those pickles. I must have eaten 8 pickles. 🙂 I also craved an iced coffee drink – I wanted one every day!

I also craved olives. One day I had my husband open a can just so I could eat them plain. Weird.

11. Jenny
    January 22, 2010 | 12:31 pm

Yay! Congrats on “making it” to the second trimester! I start my third next week and am actually kind of sad- I’m really loving this pregnancy! Can’t believe you’re just now showing- I was wearing maternity clothes at 8wks- ugh!!!

Well, my pants are mostly fairly forgiving. 🙂 I will say that with some of my previous pregnancies I was showing earlier, maybe it’s a sign of a smaller baby.

12. Cynthia
    January 22, 2010 | 1:06 pm

So glad to hear you’re feeling better! Milkshake looks yummy!

Cynthia

You and MomStarr both need to come visit. I’ll provide the milkshakes.

13. MomStarr
    January 22, 2010 | 1:26 pm

I am glad you are feeling better. Maybe I should come and visit and get some inspiration. I am in my third trimester now and am loosing steam. I decided to stop talking about exercise the other day and began some exercising yesterday. I felt good after and am motivated to keep it up. I hope to keep it up until birth day. The pregnancies where I exercised the baby had a more manageable weight. (manageable for me that is) Anyway, we enjoy the posts about you so don’t stop and we need an update on the no shampoo deal! 🙂

Come visit with Cynthia.

I did add in exercising again last week and this. I’m hoping that will help.

Hmm, no shampoo? The short version is, I’m using shampoo again. I like my hair better without, but Mark prefers it with. 😉

14. Chantelle
    January 22, 2010 | 2:11 pm

Thank you for the update. I’m glad you are feeling better! Yes, the posts about you and your family are my favorite posts, so keep em’ coming. 🙂

I always get nervous about posting about myself and my family because (here’s a secret) I’m not really a good writer or story teller and I’m afraid I’ll bore people. I’m more comfortable conveying useful info, ya know?

I’ll try to keep a balance.

15. valerie
    January 22, 2010 | 2:42 pm

I love when you post about you! Especially pregnancy and baby stuff. I don’t know what it is about that, but it never bores me. 🙂
    As far as “us”, we in our family are trying to develop a better homeschool routine. We were so out of whack with moving, job transfers and a big car wreck that our whole life was in disorder for a while. Now I have established a pretty smooth running day with the exception of homeschool. Its the last thing right now being managed, and that needs to stop. I am loving waking up in the early morning and doing my 90 day challenge, so that’s a start (prior to the challenge I was doing my bible and quiet time at night). So now I just have to buckle down and start school early that way it doesn’t keep running into all the things going on in early afternoon. Anywho, there you have it. 🙂

I’m struggling with the 90 Day Challenge. I’m caught up, but am having a hard time concentrating. I think the problem is late nights. I need to get back on track.

Our homeschool is a bit off track now. That’s actually on my list of “things to post” a new schedule and then a live blog about how we aren’t following it.

16. Mama Mirage
    January 22, 2010 | 3:38 pm

I’m so jealous of people who only have morning sickness in the first trimester!

I’m very thankful that it ended early for me this time. What a special blessing.

17. tara
    January 22, 2010 | 6:12 pm

so glad to hear you are feeling better! And I LOVE BELLA BANDS! I was going to attempt sewing a skirt onto a bella band . I will let you know how it goes!

That sounds like a fun how-to post. 🙂

18. Alice
    January 22, 2010 | 7:20 pm

I too am never bored when you post about you! 🙂

I heard of Bella Bands when I was pregnant with my first baby, but didn’t buy any at that time. Good thing too, for me, because it turns out that I change up FOUR clothes sizes during pregnancy, so my regular clothes would never have lasted far into pregnancy even with a Bella Band attached. I need some sort of Thigha Band! 😉 I had to buy all new non-maternity clothes for after the baby, which are handy to pull out every time after having a baby! It takes me 8 months or so postpartum to get back down to the original regular size.

I second (third?!) the request for birth stories! I would love to hear those!

Thanks so much for praying for my family re. the “child’s heart” issues! I so appreciate it!

LOL, Thigha bands.

Your welcome about the prayer. I so want you to experience the joy and peace of a houseful of well behaved children. Ultimately that is a gift of God, your responsibility is just to remain faithful. 🙂

19. thesleepyknitter
    January 22, 2010 | 8:55 pm

Commenting in order to post love to a blogger! 🙂

Happy to hear that you are feeling better now. And I love the little “Kimberly’s Baby” gadget on the side of your page that shows Baby Olive’s growth day by day. So amazing how the little folks change, and so quickly, too.

Never been pregnant. Thought I was, once, five or six years ago. It was pretty exciting for a couple of days!

But if I ever WERE to be pregnant, a Bella Band sounds nice and comforting. And that Thigha Band Alice mentioned might be nice, also. 🙂 In fact, I might like one of those right now.

You can make your own Bella Band, so I hear, from stretchy, smaller-sized tee-shirts from a thrift store. Just cut the tee-shirt under the underarms, use the already hemmed edge as the bottom of the band, and the cut edge at the top as the top of the band — no sewing involved.

Many blessings on your second trimester!

Thank you!

Yes, I think the Thigha Bans are a great idea. 🙂 Great tip about the tee-shirt.

20. Jen
    January 22, 2010 | 9:37 pm

Just a word of encouragement: our third child weighed 9 pounds at birth and had a bit of shoulder dystocia during delivery. Thankfully everything was fine but when I got pregnant with our fourth child, they told me they definitely didn’t want me to have a baby bigger than 9 pounds. I felt the same (after a 20 minute, unmedicated delivery!) and so I did everything possible to keep that baby small-I exercised every. single. day. I ate healthy. I was a model of healthy pregnancy.

Four days before Sawyer was born (2 weeks before my due date) I had an ultrasound to check his size. They were planning to induce me if he was too big–which I didn’t want either! According to the ultrasound, he weighed 7.11. Yeah!! All was good.

Four days later, I went into labor. After an hour labor and a harrowing ride to the hospital and NO DRUGS, Sawyer was born with nary a hiccup in the process. He weighed 9 POUNDS, 11 OUNCES!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!

All that to say, be careful what they tell you! I didn’t have any trouble and I shudder to think they may have induced me or probably given me a c-section if they had known what he “really” weighed!

Best of luck to you!

Jen

Thanks for the encouragement Jen. I’m completely with you. I think many times a C-section is recommended when it’s not really necessary, especially with the whole “large baby” excuse.

We have a very unique history however. I hope to go into more of this when/if I post birth stories, but in a nut shell:

Six out of nine of our children have had shoulder distocia. Three severe.

Four of those children had broken bones (3 collar bones and 1 humerous)

Three of them suffered from lack of oxygen (no permanent brain damage by
    God’s grace.

The one with the broken humerous also had a paralyzed arm (Brachial
    Plexus Injury). He’s now over 20 months and still has deficits in that
    arm.

Our injured children were delivered by 3 different professionals. (The last two injured children were born at home with 2 different midwives.) I’ve always walked, moved around etc. during labor and birth. Several of our injured children were small (as small as 7lbs. 5 oz.) We just don’t know what else we can do to prevent the possibility of serious injury to our baby and are considering choosing a c-section even if the baby looks “small”.

We’d love prayers as we make this decision. It’s obviously difficult as I’ve never had a c-section before and we love home and natural births.

21. Serenity
    January 23, 2010 | 10:45 am

Congratulations on making it to the second trimester!!!! My husband and I are expecting our fifth baby around June 5 and I just got over morning sickness last month. You are right the second trimester is AWESOME! No more puking, tons of energy, no huge belly yet 🙂 It’s great! Thank you for your encouraging blog and I would love to read your birth stories. This is the first baby that I am PLANNING to deliver without meds and I am a little nervous and would love to hear how you cope.

22. Amanda Sikes
    January 23, 2010 | 11:53 am

I am interested in the choice that you have to make about the c-section and will be praying for you over this matter. But, please be encouraged from a 4 time c-section momma that even though it is not ideal sometimes, even before they are born we have to love our children enough to put them first. I am not speaking with judgement only with love. The fact that I have never been able to experience a natural delivery is something that, at times, saddens me greatly. I have shed many a tear over it during the last eight years. But then I remind myself that even though not by the method I would choose I have been blessed with four healthy babies, while others can’t have any.
    Even in the time that I have had my sections things have come a long way and my last one that was just over a year ago was much easier then my first, second or third ones. I was up and moving by the next evening and home caring for my children by the fourth day.
    So, please don’t think that they are awful, not comfortable, but not awful. God will lead you in the right direction for your family.

Thank you, Amanda! I am struggling with this.

I long to have another natural birth. Mark and I are just praying and begging God to make things very clear for us. Obviously, do not want to put the baby at risk, but we realize that if we have a c-section this time that will also be our decision for any future children the Lord may bless us with.

I really appreciate your prayers!

23. Pam Dana
    January 23, 2010 | 2:08 pm

I love the Bella Bands. I have a long torso, so I don’t have to use them until the end of my pregnancy. But, they saved me from not having to by maternity jeans. Which we all know are NOT CHEAP! I’m also in my 2nd trimester (24th week) with my 2nd boy! 2nd trimester is the best! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

24. Rachel
    January 23, 2010 | 9:10 pm

You’re two week behind me! I was so happy to leave the first trimester behind as well- my morning sickness was terrible and I hardly ate anything. Good luck with your pregnancy- I hope you have a smaller baby 🙂

25. Marylouise
    January 23, 2010 | 10:04 pm

love hearing your stories & seeing your pictures.I`m so glad your feeling better.I`m amazed at how much you get done.You are an inspiration to me.Thanks!

26. Kim
    January 24, 2010 | 8:20 am

I’m so glad to hear that you are doing well and that morning sickness can end earlier than usual. I am holding onto that! I am 12 1/2 weeks now and still full swing. I’ve never been this sick. In fact, I am keeping nothing down at all (no subs for me). I’ve been hospitalized for dehydration twice, got a kidney stone and was in a severe car accident. This child is strong and God has protected him/her from it all!
    Praise God for second trimester and that beautiful blessing at the end of this. Still praying for you and your family. Thanks for the update!

Oh Kim, I’m so sorry. I’ve never been that sick. I thank God that He has protected this precious child!

Just to encourage you. Morning sickness with my last two pregnancies lasted until a good bit past 20 weeks, so to be finished by 13 or 14 was a big surprise.

Praying that you feel better soon.

27. Holly Nelson
    January 26, 2010 | 10:04 am

Will you be posting pics of your belly? I have been posting on my personal facebook page and one on my website. but you said you were still in your regular clothes, which is an inspiration after having 9 children! I am now pregnant with my 6th boy!!
    here are links to my recent posts of my belly and boys
    I am not a blogger, but I just happened to want to post stuff everyday!! I am still adding to my website!

Just for you, I plan to post a belly picture tomorrow.

Yes, I’m still in regular clothes, but my regular clothes after having 9 children are not the regular clothes that I wore before kids, so don’t be too inspired. 🙂

Wow six boys, now that is something. If this little one is a girl it will be our sixth girl, but six boys and six girls is a whole different dynamic.

Holly Nelson Reply:

Thank you!! Can’t wait to see! And my brother has 4 girls, no boys. Isn’t that funny? Since I don’t have any of my own I love to have all of them in the summer for a week. I do get quite a few looks from people. I can only imagine what you get!
    ~blessings~

28. Multi-Tasking Mommy
    January 26, 2010 | 10:42 am

Ok, seriously? Peppermint milkshakes. Do you have a recipe you could share, those sound incredible!

I used a Bella band during my last pregnancy and for many months after I gave birth as well. It saved me! I loved it!

Psst, I cheat! Chick-Fil-A, best Peppermint milkshakes ever. 🙂

29. Brenda
    January 26, 2010 | 11:37 am

I also love your personal stories, and would love to read a birth story too!
    About the little to no sugar part of your diet, have you tried Agave nectar? I gave up sugar in November (was craving it too much and grumpy), and made it through the holidays without eating any sweet, praise God! Anyway, Agave (sold in almost all the health sections of grocery stores now, even Costco carries it), doesn’t affect your blood sugar levels like sugar. It still has calories, so can’t have as much as you want, but it let me still have a sweet treat once in awhile, and I don’t crave it like I did regular white sugar.
    Praying for you for the rest of your pregnancy!

30. Kimberly @ Raising Olives
    January 27, 2010 | 8:11 pm

Thanks for the tip. We use sucanat, but haven’t used Agave nectar.

Thank you for your prayers. I’m humbled that you would do that for me.