God’s Sovereignty – 90 Days

Win a wonderful way to celebrate and display your child’s art, enter my Fine Doodle Giveaway.

This is the point in the reading that things really get interesting.  Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon and Isaiah, there is so much that I don’t fully understand and yet one thing has struck me clearly as I’ve read through Isaiah particularly.

Everything comes from the Lord, the good and the bad.  He truly is sovereign and in control of all.  All things happen according to his plan.  There is great comfort in that and great rebuke.

Isaiah 31

Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, and rely on horses, and trust in chariots because they are many, and in horsemen because they are very strong, but they do not look to the Holy One of Israel, nor seek the Lord! Yet He also is wise and will bring disaster, and does not retract His words, but will arise against the house of evil doers, and against the help of the workers of iniquity. Now the Egyptians are men and not God, and their horses are flesh and not spirit; So the Lord will stretch out His hand, and he who helps will stumble and he who is helped will fall, and all of them will come to an end together.

How often when we are in trouble or distress do we turn to the physical things that we can do rather than turning first to God for help?  How often do we try to “fix” a problem by relying on our own wisdom and doing something that may have a good end result, but clearly violates some of the principles of God’s Word?

This seems to be a overall recurring theme through out the Old Testament.  When God brought the Israelites out of Egypt, God told them to stand by and see the salvation that God had wrought for them that day.  God would fight for them while they remained silent.

Gideon (you know that he’s one of my favorites) went up against the Midianites who “were lying in the valley as numerous as locusts; and their camels were without number, as numerous as the sand on the seashore” with 300 men and God gave him victory.

I often tell my children that sometimes obeying God feels like you’re closing your eyes and stepping off a cliff.  Do you obey God when it looks like the path  that He has called you to will end in disaster, or do you only obey God when you see how it will all work out in the end?  Are you willing to step off the edge of the cliff in faith and obedience to your sovereign God or are you still looking through your fearful eyes of flesh?

“Do I act on the reality that  God is really sovereign?”

Our family is currently behind in our reading by 2 days.  We should remedy that today by taking some time away from our other school subjects and allowing extra time for Bible reading.  (This is one of the reasons that we’ve chosen to home educate, it gives us the freedom to choose our own priorities and not be stuck with the ideas that someone else imposes.)

Please leave a link to your update post or a comment and let us know how you are doing.  We have committed to pray for each of you every day of this challenge and when you let us know how you are doing it helps us to pray a little more specifically.

Also head over to Mom’s Toolbox and link up your post there.

1. Alice @ Blessed Mummy to 4 Precious Little Ones 2. Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

You may be interested in reading about how Mark tried to murder all of our fish or how I tackle a big project with little ones around.  Also feel free to ask some questions on this post about our bulk freezer cooking, I’m working on a “how we do it post” on that topic, so now is the time to speak up. :)

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

10 Responses to God’s Sovereignty – 90 Days
  1. bunny
    February 22, 2010 | 10:33 am

Surprisingly, I found Ecclesiates to be so interesting. I can’t wait to go back there and spend more time in it. This has been fun and gives a different perspective on everything.

2. Tania @ Larger Family Life
    February 22, 2010 | 11:02 am

The thing is it’s so much easier to put trust in God when things are going well than when things are going badly. But then, isn’t that the truest test?

3. Jenny
    February 22, 2010 | 4:10 pm

Whoa! You’re so right! I so often wonder where God is leading me and get mad when the path seems so unfair, but I have to keep my faith: The will of God will never take us where the grace of God will not protect us! I just began making plans to take my 17yr-old daughter to the Mayo Clinic- don’t know how I got to this point, so it MUST be God’s plan! I’ve had such a hard time accepting that He would let my child suffer so, but I’m trying to remain faithful and trust that He is still in control! I’m so behind in my bible reading, but I am motivated and I simply read when I can these days- which is way more than I ever did before!! I’m sure enjoying it!!

Praying that Allie gets to feeling better soon and that God would give you peace.

4. Alice
    February 22, 2010 | 6:20 pm

I am behind too, and have been poorly disciplined the past two weeks. I actually didn’t even update or check in last Monday which was a first. But I’m still going! I was 3 days behind yesterday and today I’m at Isaiah 40 (when I should finish with Isaiah 61 today). Various things have distracted me recently, but God is enabling me to work on those things, and have my eyes open. This middle part is harder than I expected! I linked my blog post above :)

5. Young Wife
    February 22, 2010 | 8:45 pm

It’s so interesting, perhaps providential, that you posted about trusting God. I’m actually reading a book right now by Sheila Walsh called “Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God” and our sermon Sunday was about Gideon. Thank you for the encouragement!

Thanks for taking the time to let me know that this post was encouraging to you. I love to see how God uses many different avenues to teach us.

6. Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads
    February 23, 2010 | 2:16 am

No, it’s not always easy to trust. I like to be in control, but when I’m in control bad things are more likely to happen. I have to constantly work on giving control to God.

7. Alene
    February 23, 2010 | 11:05 am

Behind, but not out. I hope to catch up (am only three days behind so should be able to…) but am determined to finish either way. Unanticipated (by me, anyway; the Lord knew) stresses and complications added to my days, but I made a commitment, and will let my yes be yes, if I am in any way able!
    Thankful for your prayers, and the encouragement of all you fellow journeyers!

8. thesleepyknitter
    February 25, 2010 | 10:42 am

Wonderful thought! I just read another devotional on a very similar idea, published today. Are you familiar with the site, Proverbs 31 Ministries? They have a daily devotional, and here is today’s (Thursday’s): http://proverbs31devotions.blogspot.com/2010/02/trusting-in-princes.html

Blessings,