Crocheted Baby Hat with Flower Pattern

I’ve been inspired to get out the crochet hooks and make some baby hats for some friend’s children.  (I enjoy both knitting and crocheting because there’s very little mess or space required.)  Here is one that I made for Connie’s baby girl who is due in a few months.  (Did you know that Connie and I got to meet back in February?)

Baby Hat Pattern:

Worsted weight yarn with size H crochet hook.

To start: ch 3 and join with sl st to form a loop
Round 1: dc 10 in ring.  Join with sl st to top of first dc made. (10 dc)
Round 2: ch 2 (counts as first dc now and throughout), dc in same st, 2 dc in every st around. Join with sl st. (20 dc)
Round 3: ch2, *dc in next st, 2 dc in next st.* Repeat from* to *. Join. (30 dc)
Round 4: ch 2, * dc in next 2 st, 2 dc in next st.* Repeat from* to *. Join. (40 dc)
Round 5-10: ch 2, dc in every st around. Join. (40 dc)
Round 11: ch 2, *dc in next 12 sts, 2 dc in next st, repeat from * twice, dc in each stitch to the end. Join. (43 dc)
Round 12: ch1, sc in same st,  * skip 2 sts, 5 dc in next st, skip next 2 sts, sc in next st, repeat from *  around. Join.
Finish off.

For flower: Worsted weight yarn and size H crochet hook.

Round 1: With center color ch 3 and join with a sl st to form a loop. Make 12 sc in loop. Finish off leaving a long tail to sew onto hat if desired.
Round 2: Switch to petal color, join to center with a sl st, * ch 15, sl st in same st, sl st in next st and and repeat from *  around. Join. Finish off.

Sew flower to hat.

For more fun and versatility sew or glue flower to an alligator clip and make a couple hats in different colors and flowers in different colors and mix and match.  (So happy that we’re having a girl this time, so we can make all sorts of fun girl stuff for her.)

If you enjoy fiber arts and aren’t a member of Ravelry yet, you should be.  It’s free and is a wonderful resource for patterns (many free), yarn information and just general inspiration and information for knitters and crocheters.  Be sure to look me up over there, I’m Raising Olives of course.

Problems with my directions?  Please let me know, I’m fairly new at writing out directions, but have lots of plans.

Do you enjoy my knitting/crocheting posts/patterns or is it something you’re not interested in?  I’m wondering if I should post more posts like this or if I’m boring you. :)  Is anyone there??

This post is linked to Tutorial Tuesday.

Share on Facebook56Pin on Pinterest720Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter1

63 Responses to Crocheted Baby Hat with Flower Pattern
  1. JhonaO
    March 23, 2010 | 10:14 am

I think the hat is adorable! I would love to see more posts like this:) CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!

2. Debbie
    March 23, 2010 | 2:13 pm

I wish I knew HOW to crochet or knit – the hat is ADORABLE and I would love to be able to create something so sweet…

If you really want to learn, I learned to knit using knitting help.com. They have videos that show how to do everything step-by-step. I still use it when I run into wording in patterns that I’m unfamiliar with.

Debbie Reply:

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I’m bookmarking it NOW so I can give it a whirl this spring. =)

Debbie Reply:

I learned to crochet when I was little then when I was older I got a frozen shoulder, I went to the library and checked out some knitting books. I learned how to knit, then I went in and took some lessons at a fabric store. I did really good so it’s not that hard to do. If you can find someone that knows how to show you to do either it will be good too.

3. Jamie
    March 23, 2010 | 2:47 pm

I see so many patterns for crocheting but I really would love to see more knitting patterns, especially knitting patterns for flowers.

You’re not boring me! :)

Do you know how to crochet? It’s much easier to create flowers via crocheting, but if you search for knit flower patterns on Ravelry, you can find a lot that are free.

More knitting patterns…noted!

4. LisaC
    March 23, 2010 | 4:44 pm

That hat is so cute!

I really like the scallops around the bottom edge, nice touch!

Do you have a link to the hat you made for your little girl? I missed it.

LisaC Reply:

Yep

It took me a while because I kept putting it down, but it was really easy when I found the time to finish it.

5. Veronica @ A Quiet Heart
    March 23, 2010 | 4:50 pm

SO cute!! :) If only I could crochet…I tried to teach myself, and all I can do is make a chain…Not so cute. :(

6. Michelle
    March 23, 2010 | 7:36 pm

This is really cute, Kimberly! I can only crochet a little – I mostly knit now (when I make the time).

7. Brandi @ Frugal Farmhouse
    March 23, 2010 | 8:42 pm

This is so cute Kimberly! The pattern looks great :) I’ll put this on my to make list.

I’d love to see it if you make one. :)

8. Jama
    March 23, 2010 | 8:44 pm

I don’t knit/crochet but my girls have been taught how to do simple things by others. They only know how to do 1 basic stitch and can only create things that are square/rectangular. How do I get them past blankets and scarves? Any suggestions?

Jama you should look into knitting help.com. That’s how Amber got proficient at knitting. It has loads of videos showing all different types of stitches and techniques.

9. Smockity Frocks
    March 23, 2010 | 9:45 pm

I LOVE my sweet little hat and can’t wait to put it on a sweet little head!

Thank you, dear friend!

:) I can’t wait!!

10. Elizabeth
    March 24, 2010 | 7:19 am

So cute!! I’ve been crocething up strom the past few weeks. I’ve made two simple granny square baby afghans. I was wanting to make a hat for the girl baby out of the leftover yarn w/ a flower. Thanks!

11. Smockity Frocks
    May 25, 2010 | 12:03 pm

Thank you for linking up to my Tutorial Tuesday! Several people have asked me about this adorable little hat!

12. Cheryl@SomewhatCrunchy
    May 25, 2010 | 2:26 pm

I want to learn to crochet and knit…one day. *sigh* :)

13. susan
    November 3, 2010 | 12:07 pm

I am a beginner and absolutely love this little hat. I want to make it so bad. It says Crochet rounds 1-10 as directed in the pattern. (but I don’t see the pat

Hi Susan. I linked to the pattern just under the picture where I say “I used this free basic pattern and added a scalloped edge and the flower.” I did not have permission to copy the pattern on my site, but if you follow that link you can read it for yourself.

I hope it turns out beautifully.

Susan Reply:

I eventually found it. My computer was taking forever. I would like to post a photo of my version of the hat for my older granddaughter. Thank you for responding to my email. :)

14. jenn lambright
    January 9, 2011 | 8:52 pm

I love this hat but when i try to look @ it, it gives me directions for a bag. if you could email me the directions that would be great

Thank Jenn. I went ahead and typed out my own pattern here in the post. Please let me know if you have any questions.

15. Anna
    January 18, 2011 | 11:26 am

Please send me the complete directions for the baby cap shown above, not just the flower.

The complete directions for the hat shown above are contained within the post.

16. Ellen delgado
    February 9, 2011 | 3:12 pm

What yarn and hook should I use? I would like to use a medium to thicker yarn.

I used a worsted weight with the recommended hook size. So I think a medium to thicker yarn would be ideal.

17. JoAnnW
    February 11, 2011 | 12:39 pm

Adorable hat. Instructions were very clear, my granddaughter looks great in it.

You are definitely not boring us with your patterns, would love to see more.

thank you for sharing.

18. Risha
    February 22, 2011 | 4:35 pm

This hat is beautiful! I just made two hats for a couple friends who just had baby girls in the last month. However, I did find that I had to change Round 5 to another increase round so that I ended up with 50 stitches. That seemed to be perfect for fitting both the babies’ heads. One of the babies was born with a 15 inch head, so I wanted to make sure it was plenty big. I’m pretty sure I have a tendency to pull my stitches a little tight. Thank you so much for this pattern!

19. Jo-AnneB
    March 4, 2011 | 10:02 pm

What size wool and crochet hook did you use??

Worsted weight yarn and a size H hook.

20. Jo-AnneB
    March 10, 2011 | 8:12 pm

21. Kelli
    March 23, 2011 | 10:00 am

Thank you so much for the adorable baby hat with flower pattern. I have not crocheted for 20 years and have recently been at home bored after foot surgery (not able to do much) and was looking for something constuctive to do that was enjoyable as well. This little hat was soo easy, that I’m going to make several for the little premie babies where I work. Thank you again..you never know whose lives you touch in a special way…I know the babies & their parents will love them too!

22. donna gulino
    June 17, 2011 | 9:18 am

I love the pink crocheted hat with flower, but what size crochet hook?? I can’t seem to find that anywhere!!!! Thank you…

Worsted weight yarn, size H hook.

23. Douglas Young
    August 5, 2011 | 11:04 pm

what size hook for the hat? I see H for the flower. Please HELP!! Baby in 6 days!!!

24. Douglas Young
    August 6, 2011 | 1:36 am

ok.. i saw the comment and figured out that the hat is also done with the H hook. I finished it and I am SOOO Happy!!. It turned out great!!! I didnt have the same colores shown in the picture.. But I had colors that contrasted perpectly..Thank you!!!

25. Carmen "Coco" O'Connor
    October 11, 2011 | 7:27 pm

Hi: I know how to crochet and I had not crocheted
    for a long time. Recently my daughter had a baby girl and there goes Grandma looking of a hat to make for new baby girl…And so I came across your lovely website and found a beautiful baby hat with a flower
    patterned, I could not resist making it. It came out beautiful and the instructions, of course, were great as I am as rusty as can be, but I did not forget how to crochet; I am in love with this simple but very beautiful hat. I am going to make a lot of then in differrent colors and donate then to our local hospital for the for babies in need. And for sure I am going to join this group, thanks again to
    Raising Olives for their kindness in sharing this pattern. Best Regards, CocoAngel

26. Aimee
    November 11, 2011 | 10:32 am

I absolutely love this hat – so cute!! Do you know how to modify it for bigger sizes? (i.e. matching big sister/little sister hats?)

Gigi Reply:

Aimee,
    Did you ever figure out how to make a larger size? I need to make one for a 6 month old for Easter .

Aimee Reply:

I did!…I actually looked at a few of my other hat patterns to figure it out. When I use “I love this yarn” for this hat, it ends up fitting 3-6 months instead of itty-bitty. So, for the next size up, I just started with 12 dc in the original loop instead of 10…and then continued on. I think I ended up doing 13 rows instead of 12. Good luck!! (It’s such a great hat!)

27. Alice Bayne
    November 11, 2011 | 10:57 am

Hello, I recently found your blog. I really like the baby hat with the flower. However, I didn’t see what size hook you used for the hat. I could guess, but don’t want to end up with the wrong size. Can you help? Thanks, Alice

28. Debbie Rolley
    December 3, 2011 | 7:58 pm

I loce your pattern for this hat!! How can I make ur for a 2 year old? Thanks so much :)

29. MDean
    January 8, 2012 | 6:32 pm

Does the baby hat call for the same worsted weight yarn and size H crochet hook as the flower?

30. dulcie
    January 20, 2012 | 2:45 am

I googled infant crochet hats and looked through a lot of images. This one was THE one I just have to make for many baby girls due this spring! I’m hoping it comes out as cute as yours! I just recently learned how to read patterns after 3 years of winging it. =) Thank you for sharing this!

31. Susie
    February 3, 2012 | 6:11 pm

What age baby or size head would this hat fit? I’d like to try one for my granddaughter, but she is 3 years old. I don’t know how to add stitches to make your pattern bigger. I found your pattern on Pinterest, by the way.

This would fit a newborn baby.

32. Shelly
    February 28, 2012 | 8:09 pm

I just want to thank you for putting these directions for this adorable hat on here. You wrote directions in a way that even I, a newbie, can understand. Thank you!!

33. Christine
    April 25, 2012 | 9:20 pm

Thanks so much for the pattern – it is precious. My daughter is having a baby girl and it is the perfect hat to make. I used to do a lot of crocheting back in the day.

I appreciate your site.

34. Judi
    April 29, 2012 | 8:11 pm

What size hook??

35. Lyn Murphy
    July 26, 2012 | 8:19 pm

lov pink flower hat how many can I make!!!!!

36. Lynn
    October 8, 2012 | 9:25 pm

What size crochet hook do you use for the hat? I want to make this for an Advent basket for a new born. Thank you Lynn

Vonnie Reply:

What size crochet hook is used for your pink hat with the loopy flower? Very cute

Size H with worsted weight for both.

37. Jan davis
    December 29, 2012 | 9:19 pm

The hat is darling. I just hope mine turns out as cute.

38. Moy
    January 22, 2013 | 9:57 pm

Love that pink baby hat with flower and am trying to crochet it, however, I can’t figure out what the * stands for in your pattern? Could you explain please.

That is to indicate where a repeat begins and ends. (See notes within the pattern)

39. Moy
    January 25, 2013 | 7:40 pm

Thank you very much for the * answer.

Here another question:
    If I wanted to make it larger, what would I do?

Thank you.

40. Debbie
    March 8, 2013 | 7:28 pm

Just luv this project, was so easy. Made 4 already. Thanks

41. Minerva
    September 28, 2014 | 9:42 pm

Thank you for the pattern to this adorable hat. I am working on it right now and it is easy to follow.