One Million Arrows

When our oldest son Matthew was four years old, we read about the desperate condition of abandoned and orphaned children in India who must live on the streets and struggle for survival.  At that point, Matthew declared that he wanted to go to India and help those children.  Matthew is now 10 and actively doing research on the culture and customs of the Indian people.  He is also working diligently at learning Greek so that we will allow him to move on to Hindi.   So I wept as I read the opening chapters of the book  “One Million Arrows” that describe how God is using Dr. M. A. Thomas (aka Papa) to reach the lost children of India.  Is this what God has in store for our baby or is it something completely different?  How will we ever prepare him for his mission in life?

This book is much more than a book on missions, however.  This book speaks to the deep needs of American children for their parents to change their ways, change their focus, gain a vision and pass that vision on to their children.  A vision of reaching  into all the world to preach the gospel, make disciples.

According to the statistics, a staggering 75% of “Christian” young people who are raised and active in their church are leaving the church for good by their second year of college.  The homes where the faith retention rate is highest are not those where the teens are involved in youth groups, it is the homes where the parents are actively involved in making disciples of their children.

The numbers tell us that parents  are failing their children in record numbers.  Parents are taking their Biblical responsibility of training their children and passing it off to others to whom this responsibility has not been given.  If we can not reach our own children for Christ, how will we reach the world and perhaps more importantly, what will happen in the next generations?  (I Cor. 3:6-7)

“One Million Arrows: Raising Your Children to Change the World” talks about our responsibilities to our own children, our responsibilities to children around the world and our calling to give our all for Christ.  As with all books, read One Million Arrows through the lens of  God’s Holy Word.  However, I recommend this book to help you refocus on what is truly important in life and your responsibility to give everything that God has given you back to Him.

Will you receive the blessing by giving your children into the hands of the Mighty King so they may truly help change the world with their gifts?  Will you help support other children of the world that they may be launched as arrow to reach all who have not heard with the message of God’s love? – Papa

You may purchase One Million Arrows: Raising Your Children to Change the World for $11.16 from Amazon.com.  All profits from the sale of this book will go to international orphan care and ministry.

You may read more about the book and the vision at OneMillionArrows.com.

I received a complimentary copy of “One Million Arrows” in order to give my honest opinion about the book.  I received no other compensation and all opinions expressed are my own.

You may also be interested in reading my series of posts about gaining and keeping your child’s heart.

Share on Facebook5Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

11 Responses to One Million Arrows
  1. Polly
    March 3, 2010 | 1:57 pm

Those statistics are so sad about the American kids leaving the church.

I can believe them, though, I was a church kid that went off in the wrong direction for a long while, too. I am so grateful that God is merciful and put people in my path to lead me back to Him.

As a parent, though, I don’t want my kids to go through that, I want them to truly know the truth and stick with it. And follow Him where He leads them (and give me the peace to be okay with wherever that is).

2. Melissa Multitasking Mama
    March 3, 2010 | 2:43 pm

Wow, wow, wow! That looks like an amazing book and those statistics are haunting. Thank you for sharing this!!

3. Alison
    March 3, 2010 | 4:18 pm

That looks like such a good book!

4. Sandpiper
    March 3, 2010 | 6:30 pm

Sounds like a good book. I’ll add it to my ‘to read’ list. I’m also reading a good right now called “Keeping Our Children’s Hearts” by Steve & Teri Maxwell. Obviously it’s about how to keep your child’s heart.

That sounds like a book that I should read given my current series of posts. 🙂

5. Jenny
    March 3, 2010 | 9:22 pm

Ok- that’s my next book… as soon as I get through the bible 😉 Thanks for mentioning this- I was raised in a christian home, church every Sunday, etc., but I lost my way in my early 20’s and it wasn’t until my 30’s that I came back and was baptized by immersion. That opened the door for me, but my kids are not there, and it’s my fault! Can YOU teach them?! Just kidding of course! I really do look forward to this book!!!

Jenny, I will certainly pray for your kids. And that is more powerful than anything else I could do.

God bless your family!

6. Fiona
    March 3, 2010 | 11:08 pm

Hi Kimberly
    Not only does that book sound fab but I love the way your Matthew is on a mission. It’s wonderful. I wish your patience and dedication to homeschool.

Thank you. If you ever need something to pray about/for, I’d love additional prayers for that child. I don’t know for sure what God has for him, but it certainly seems that He has given him a heart for the suffering in this world.

7. LeAnn
    June 10, 2010 | 4:13 pm

Kimberly,
    I am completely enchanted with your blog and your family. I’m not much of a blog reader, especially of “random” people I don’t know. But I got hooked on yours after my sister told me to google “rain gutter bookshelves”. I saw your post on that and just kept reading.
    My husband and I want so much to raise a family in the way of the Lord. To train them up so that they will never depart from Him. And in the last few years, my husband too has been given a heart for the hurting, and especially the poor and homeless. We want our children to not only see us minister to others but to join us in ministering, as soon as they’re able. But sometimes I feel at a loss of how to do all this! It’s such a huge responsibility! Your site has given me lots of ideas to include in our home.
    BTW, we have two boys, 5 and 21 months. I just started “officially” homeschooling my oldest, and just found out we’re expecting #3. I thought 3 might be it for us, but reading your site makes me want to have 10 also! 🙂 But at 32 years old already, maybe 7 more kids is a bit much. We’ll see what the Lord wants for us, and try to be content with that. 🙂
    I love your family schedule, especially including family worship after breakfast and dinner. I think we’re going to copy that.
    A quick question about the catechism that your husband does with the younger children. What is that? Can you send a link or tell me where I could find one to look at?

Thanks so much,
    LeAnn

May God bless your family as you fulfill the calling that He has for you.

I have a link to the catechism that our kids memorize in this post. I hope that is helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.