Homemade Cottage Cheese Recipe

Last week when I posted about ‘from scratch’ cooking and a few of you asked for my recipe for making cottage cheese.  This recipe comes from way back in our ‘poor’ days when a recipe that called for cottage cheese was ‘too expensive’.  Back then we made our own yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.  from powdered milk.   (We also used wheat gluten as a meat substitute and saved the left over wheat bran for use in muffins.)  We don’t do quite that much ‘from scratch’ cooking anymore, but this cottage cheese recipe may be a good one to pull out again and reconsider.

Cottage Cheese Recipe

Ingredients:

1 rennet tablet  – dissolve in small amount of warm water
1 gallon milk (we used reconstituted powdered milk, but you may use any milk you prefer)
1 pint buttermilk or yogurt (link to my recipes for homemade buttermilk and yogurt)

In a large pot heat milk to 90 degrees F.  Stir  in buttermilk or yogurt and then add the dissolved rennet tablet.  Cover pot and leave overnight in a warm place.

The next day your “cottage cheese” will be a nearly solid mass, like firm yogurt.  This is the curd.  Using a knife cut through this to break into small pieces.  Set the bowl with the curd into a pan of warm water and heat.  Shake the pan gently to heat evenly.

When the curd has reached 110 degrees F turn off the heat leaving everything for 30 minutes.  Next pour the cheese into several layers of cheese cloth to drain.

After the curds have drained the cottage cheese may be used in recipes.  If you prefer to eat it plain, you will want to add a little sour cream or moisten it with some yogurt.  You may also want to add salt to taste.

You may also be interested in  tips and ideas about feeding your family on  a budget,    menu planning,   cooking from scratch or my recipe page. For  homeschool help and ideas about teaching multiple levels visit my homeschool page.

This post is linked to Works for Me Wednesday

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest4Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

15 Responses to Homemade Cottage Cheese Recipe
  1. Sherry
    April 21, 2010 | 8:40 am

Oh, wow! I have seen recipes for yogurt making, but never cottage cheese. Cool! 😀

Have a great day!
    Sherry

2. Milehimama
    April 21, 2010 | 10:23 am

Wow, I make yogurt at home and I’ve seen recipes to make cheese- but never cottage cheese! That’s really interesting!

3. Laryssa @ Heaven In The Home
    April 21, 2010 | 10:42 am

My family loves cottage cheese! I’ve been looking for a recipe for a while, thanks!

4. JulieJ
    April 21, 2010 | 4:06 pm

What is a rennet tables? Where do you buy them? In which department?

A rennet tablet is most often used in cheese making.

Back when we were making cottage cheese regularly I ordered them online. You may be able to find them at some time of specialty or health store, but I’m not sure.

5. Phoebe @ Cents to Get Debt Free
    April 22, 2010 | 12:18 pm

I make yogurt and have attempted to make mozzarella cheese–but never had I thought to make cottage cheese. Brilliant!

6. Abbi
    April 22, 2010 | 11:38 pm

Thanks for the recipe! We make ricotta cheese but this recipe is fairly different from that. We have a lot of milk on hand (and yogurt which I also make) and I am looking forward to trying this.
    I have rennet tables on hand too, I think I bought them at a local grocery store.

7. Kim
    April 23, 2010 | 11:13 am

Our family is getting ready to go on the mission field, to a place where dairy is hard to get. Thanks for the recipe, especially if it can be made with reconstructed milk.

8. Deirdre
    June 6, 2010 | 7:54 pm

Kimberly-
    Can you point me in the direction of a place that carries rennet tablets? Thanks!

Hi Deirdre.

9. Cheryl
    August 17, 2010 | 3:09 pm

What a great idea! I didnt know you could make it at home.

How much cheese will this recipe make?
    Also, have you ever froze the cot. cheese?

Thanks!!! Cheryl

I’m not sure what the exact yield of cottage cheese is for this recipe (it’s been a lont time since we’ve made it) and have not tried to freeze cottage cheese. Sorry that I’m not much help.

10. Michelle
    April 13, 2011 | 12:32 pm

Love, love, love your site. Has totally changed our 9 lives. I have made many of your recipes, here, however, the cottage cheese did not turn out. I followed the recipe exactly, BTW, found rennet tablets at my local Kroger chain, which here is called QFC. What am I doing wrong? Do you have any troubleshooting tips for me?? Thanks, and God Bless.

Thank you Michelle. This is a recipe that I haven’t made in a couple of years, so I’m not going to be helpful with troubleshooting. 🙁

11. Pauline
    February 4, 2012 | 3:04 am

My mom would often freeze cottage cheese that was going to be used in lasagnas, perogies, and such, I just don’t think you would want to freeze cottage cheese that you were planning to eat plain. But frozen stuff works fine for baking!