Pregnancy Dreams

This post is about dreams, pregnancy dreams.  I typically have two types of dreams when I’m pregnant.  The phenomenon fascinates me.  I either have horrible, nightmare-ish type dreams where I wake crying or in a panic or I have lovely dreams about a peaceful birth and that dream-like time with a newborn.

Image courtesy of Christine

When I was pregnant with our first baby the bad dreams focused on Mark leaving me.  There were various situations and various ways that it played out, but the theme was always the same.  (Just for the record, these dreams were completely unfounded, after all, 13 years later he is still here.)

As soon as we had children the dreams changed.  Now I dream about our children dying.  Again the dreams are quite diverse.  They take place in different settings, with different people, different activities and a different child being taken but they all have the same theme.  One of our children drowns, falls off a cliff, gets hit by a car, etc. and I wake crying.  I always wake at the point when I know that my child will not survive, my mind does not venture beyond it.

It’s interesting to me that my horrible pregnancy dreams all focus on losing those closest to me, first Mark and now our children.  It is also interesting that last my last two pregnancies I have not have a single one of these frightening dreams (at least not yet).   Part of me would like to say that it is because I’m becoming more trusting and less fearful, but I think that it probably has more to do with the fact that I’m just too exhausted.  Please don’t tell me it’s because I’m getting old. 😉

Then there are the other types of dreams, those lovely, peaceful dreams of an ideal birth and a precious newborn.  These generally don’t start until my last trimester and last night I had my first one.  The baby came so quickly, there was no pain or even discomfort, no fear of Erb’s Palsy.  It wasn’t until after I was holding our beautiful little girl that I even thought about any of that.  In my dream I remember thinking, “There were no complications, no c-section, I feel wonderful and the baby is perfect.”

So now with the first birth dream of this pregnancy under my belt, I’m beginning to realize that it won’t be much longer (10 weeks) before we are holding another baby girl.  I am looking forward to that.

What about you do you have pregnancy dreams?

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

32 Responses to Pregnancy Dreams
  1. Anonymous
    April 30, 2010 | 8:34 am

I’m posting anonymously because I am only 6 weeks and I haven’t told my blog readers I’m pregnant yet! But oh my I had the WORST pregnancy dream last night!!

I dreamt my husband and I were back in college and we were in class and he was dumping me–but we already had our one daughter and I was pregnant with this one. So strange! It was SO heartbreaking and vivid. 🙁

2. Anita Chamblee
    April 30, 2010 | 8:44 am

No dreams here, but just to encourage you….My last delivery, at age 44, may have been my easiest and most pleasant. Recovery and weight loss were quicker as well. I do have to say that I went into labor, got to the hospital and was going to be sent home as I had only dilated one cm and the baby was high. (I had been 2 cm earlier in the week and the baby was then low!!) Told the doc I didn’t want to go home….I was tired! I was admitted, put in a nice labor/delivery room, given Ambien to help me sleep. Jeff was able to stretch out on the extra bed/couch and work. It was nice and quiet!! Two days later Caedmon arrived. I was well rested which is a very good thing as he hasn’t slept all night long in his entire 18 month life!! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. It will be over soon!

3. Barbara
    April 30, 2010 | 8:48 am

I started having those sorts of dreams after the birth of my first child. I still have them in times of stress or when I am very tired. I dream I have forgotten the baby somewhere, or the baby is drowning and I don’t know it, or some other horrible thing. I jump out of bed and run around the house, in a complete panic, until my husband can wake me up and calm me. I have even done this in front of the children, which freaks them out. I’m not sure it will ever stop.

4. Cindy
    April 30, 2010 | 9:06 am

With all four of my pregnancies, I’ve had terrifying dreams that I or my children are being sexually assaulted. I’m sure it’s my subconscious fear of these little body invaders, but with my first one (before I knew that this was going to be a constant theme of pregnancy for me), it actually bled into my daily life. I became paranoid that someone was actually going to do that stuff to me or them.

I’ve also dreamed several times that my husband is either leaving me or smoking cigarettes behind my back.

Hate, hate, HATE pregnancy dreams.

5. Renee
    April 30, 2010 | 9:29 am

Pregnancy dream are weird, I had them starting right before I late!!! They are cluing me that I might be LOL.

And they are always the same,first trimester, I keep dreaming that my husband dies!! second trimester that older siblings are dropping the new born and the last trimester that I’m giving birth to a litter if puppy!!!

The puppies one is a bit disturbing LOL

Wow 10 weeks it wont’ be too long! WE have about 7 weeks more or less to go 🙂 Praying for a safe delivery!

6. Ashley Stubbs
    April 30, 2010 | 9:39 am

I dream those bad kind of dreams too. When I was pregnant for the first time, I would routinely dream that Matt left me at the altar, etc. My worst one was when I dreamed that I went on a camping trip with Matt and his friends from college and they all left me in the middle of the woods and went home without me… I have some very vivid pleasant dreams as well though. I remember dreaming of a beautiful brown curly haired little girl when I was pregnant with my son (and I was sure he was going to be a girl :). I wonder if the hormones just make dreams more vivid.

7. chantelle
    April 30, 2010 | 9:46 am

Wow! Ten weeks, how exciting!! I am hoping you will post another pregnancy photo, maybe even in your “magic” top. 🙂 Yes, I had pregnancy dreams. The one dream that I had the most was where I left the house and drove to a destination only to realize that I had left my newborn baby at home alone, either my car wouldn’t start, I couldn’t find my car, or I couldn’t find anyone to give me a ride back home. I would wake up in a panic. Lately, I have been having wonderful dreams of nursing a sweet newborn baby, I was hoping that it meant I was pregnant. Not yet though.

8. Bonnie Baker
    April 30, 2010 | 10:03 am

I guess I should appreciate that all my vivid pregnancy dreams are about my husband…and sex!

Katie Reply:

Me too, Bonnie! I do have some nightmare-ish ones on the side, but those are never the ones I remember. And I definitely had more sexy dreams with my first (a girl) than I did with my second (a boy.)

9. Holly
    April 30, 2010 | 10:04 am

I have the dreams where my hubby is leaving me, too! I hate those! Nothing like feeling you are an unsightly, nauseated, toilet barfing, not fitting into your clothes and not looking pregnant yet, pregnant Mama and then you try to rest and your hubby leaves you!! LOL! I also have very vivid dreams at the end of my pregnancy where I deliver the baby and I never remember what they look like but all 5 times I have delivered a baby of the OPPOSITE gender??!

And then the weird dreams. I dream these all throughout. I am talking with a friend and all the sudden an entire arm or leg comes out of my stomach. Flesh covered, of course, but SO WEIRD! And the other weird one is when I realize that my stomach has actually split open. I am not anything but embarrassed in my dreams. It’s not an emergency, I just can never find my husband in them so we can get to the hospital to get help. I calmly search the house (or wherever we are) for him while holding my stomach shut and the baby in 🙂

Sweet Dreams!!

10. Deb
    April 30, 2010 | 11:46 am

With my first baby, I dreamed that I went into labor while I was driving. There was a lot of road construction and the construction workers pulled me out of the car, shoved my dress up and prepared to catch the baby. But they all had on those big, rough leather gloves that were covered in asphalt. I looked down and started to tell the guy “oh no you are NOT touching me with those gloves on!”

And it was Lyle Lovett.

So. Weird.

11. Heather@It's Twinsanity
    April 30, 2010 | 12:25 pm

I have the same dreams! Either the death dreams (children dying) or the birth dreams. When I was pregnant with my oldest child I had a dream of giving birth a baby. When my second son was born I realized that he was the baby I’d dreamed about during my first pregnancy! I had dreams of twin girls when pregnant with my second and I had twin girls in my next pregnancy. With my last pregnancy I had dreams of having quads (but it was just twins again!) I’ll have to let you know what happens with the next pregnancy. LOL 😉

12. Missy
    April 30, 2010 | 12:26 pm

LOL…Yeah I dream too. A lot like yours . When I was first married they centered around my husband leaving me(completely unfounded here too) and with the last 2 ( I have 5) I have all sorts of troubling dreams about my kids dying or some such thing. I also have nice dreams about the baby and they always arrive so easily. I have had the babies arm or foot be totally seen through the skin too. LOL

13. Smockity Frocks
    April 30, 2010 | 12:32 pm

I JUST dreamed (early this morning) that my 2yo drowned in the bathtub while she was in there with the 8yo. As you would expect, I woke in a terrible state!

A little while later she awoke and came to our bed to snuggle as usual. I treasured that time EXTRA today and thanked God for my time with her, however long it will be.

14. Shannon
    April 30, 2010 | 1:02 pm

My youngest is only 12 weeks old, and already I want another newborn! 🙂 I’ve never experienced the lovely birth dreams; that would be nice, since I’ve had 3 c-sections. But I do have the disturbing preggo dreams. Either my hubby doesn’t want to be with me, or I’ve left my baby somewhere – usually at the hospital, and can’t find them when I go back to get them. Glad those dreams are over… at least until next time!! 🙂

15. Betsy
    April 30, 2010 | 2:41 pm

When I was pregnant with my first girl (second child) I dreamed that I went into labor and as my husband was driving me to the hospital, his truck died. He wouldnt leave me to go get help, but he wouldnt flag anyone down for help either. He told me “People are weird.” I then gave birth lying in the middle of the road. When I woke up, I punched my husband in the arm and said “How could you do that.” Poor guy, had no idea.:)

16. Mama Mirage
    April 30, 2010 | 3:12 pm

With my first pregnancy I dreamt horrible things happened to my husband and dog. They would die or get lost or BSL enforcers would come and take my sweet dog off to gas her for being a pit bull. Well at that time my dog was my baby. Subsequent pregnancies have had me dreaming that my kids have been kidnapped or tortured or killed and I am stuck in a loop of the same dream over and over trying to change the outcome and never managing to fix it so I relive their loss over and over all night until I finally wake up somehow. Usually drenched in sweat and bawling. I have woken up screaming a few times with hubby asking me what’s wrong.

For the 2nd and 3rd trimesters I don’t get birth dreams though. Nope I have some really kinky explicit dreams that have me waking up blushing.

17. Leslie Blair
    April 30, 2010 | 7:09 pm

This last pregnancy (second) I kept having dreams about neglecting him… like I kept forgetting to feed him mostly and in another one I left him on the side of the road! So funny!

18. Kit
    April 30, 2010 | 9:13 pm

Mine are always that I give birth to cats or old men. ????

19. Christine Lister
    April 30, 2010 | 11:54 pm

I usually have a dream where I give birth to a baby girl (I have six boys) but her organs are still inside me baking. So I have to stuff her back inside so she can finish growing with all her parts in tow. I have no idea why but I prefer this dream to one where I’m fighting with myself over butter or some other abstract and completely useless item.

20. Dawna
    May 1, 2010 | 7:28 pm

It is nice to know that we are not alone in our weird pregnancy dream phenomenon. I have had dreams of my devoted husband leaving me, which, like you, is completely unfounded. At times I have woken up completely upset at the man lying in bed next to me and then I have to remember it was just a dream.

Most of the time I dream about food. YES! I know… FOOD. Of all things. I wake up with an intense craving and decide to grab a glass of water and go to bed. A few times I have been blessed enough to have the “dream food” in the house which has just been pure bliss! 🙂

On a few occasions I have dreamt about the labor (both good and bad dreams) and holding my baby (although sometimes it is not a normal baby, like the dream where my baby was the size of a nickel and I lost him/her…). Pretty wacky stuff goes on in my head. Thank God they are only dreams. I cannot wait to hold this little one – only seven more weeks.

21. valerie
    May 1, 2010 | 10:21 pm

ok those were all too funny! I loved reading them. My pregnancy dreams were about my husband leaving, giving birth to a strange being, and becoming a lesbian. I know, totally gross. I always woke up and just hugged my husband thinking “I am so glad I am not a lesbian!!” lol

22. Bunny
    May 2, 2010 | 12:02 am

About three months till the big day, I had a dream that I had gone to the hospital, had the baby, left that day with him, went to several houses showing him off, and then home, to my in-laws house. After four hours or so, the proud grandpa said, okay! Let me see that kid of yours and I had left him in the backseat of the car.
    Of course I woke up, freaking out!
    Dear Daddy reassured me that there was no baby to leave in the car, rubbed my belly, and then went back to sleep.
    How could I have showed him off so proudly and then forgotten him at home? Did I really think I would leave that night with him? How long should it take me to realize that my baby is safely kicking my belly and still cooking after freaking out over a dream? Apparently over an hour.

23. Heather F
    May 2, 2010 | 3:49 am

I only had vivid pregnancy dreams during my first pregnancy… And they were all about breastfeeding (guess what I was anxious about?). In the funniest one I dreamed that my baby was very tiny (about 2 inches long) and that I kept losing him and forgetting to feed him. 🙂

24. jennifer
    May 3, 2010 | 4:41 pm

I always dreamed about accidents. Horrible, sickening accidents. Leaving the kids in the carseat was a big one. I would be ready to throw up when I woke up. I was so scared I would forget my baby!!

25. Lisa
    May 4, 2010 | 12:47 am

Pregnancy dreams are the worst part of pregnancy for me! I am 2 weeks away from our 2nd baby’s due date (she’s a girl!) and I can’t WAIT for the nightmares to end. I’ve always had nightmares, just weird random every other month kinda things, but being pregnant ramps them up into night TERRORS for me… They’ve started around 6 weeks pregnant with both pregnancies and do not end til I give birth. They’re really odd too, nothing to do with the baby, just extremely scary things… and it’s weird b/c I don’t watch the news, don’t watch horror films, and lead a really happy life in general, so I know of no other stimulation for these dreams other than the pregnancy itself. I’ve written posts about pregnancy nightmares (even did google research on them in my 1st pregnancy and blogged about) before and many women always respond in the comments about how they too experience these odd pregnancy nightmares! It was wonderful to realize I wasn’t “alone” in this after I first blogged about it and had so many responses! I thought it was really weird and unusual until then.
    :)~Lisa

26. jerilyn
    May 12, 2010 | 2:53 pm

I’m not pregnant (at least that I know of!) but lately I’ve been having terrible, terrible, terrible nightmares. I can’t figure out if I have them when I’m not sleeping well or I don’t sleep well because I’m having them. In my dreams lately, I’ve gotten mauled by several large wild animals and seen people stabbed- those are only 2 that I remember and I know there are more. I don’t remember having many dreams when pregnant. My head would hit the pillow and I’m out until I get up to go to the bathroom- repeat until morning!

27. 'Becca
    July 2, 2010 | 1:12 pm

I had many very strange, vivid dreams while pregnant, but few were scary or even upsetting, just very weird. For example, I dreamed that the baby had been born a little early so was attending the baby shower, sitting in an infant seat. Someone answered the door to let in a new guest. It was Yoda. He greeted the baby: “Cute are you, but weak in the ways of the Force.”

28. Marla
    October 21, 2010 | 1:14 pm

I have had these pregnancy dreams. I hate them!Thank you for your amazing work you do. I come here often . You are an amazing Mother, and blogger! Blessings , Marla Grace

29. Emilee
    January 19, 2012 | 6:07 pm

My sister once dreamed she gave birth to a lamp. The only reason she could figure it was a lamp was cuz it had a cord!

30. Jennifer
    April 16, 2012 | 9:33 am

My dreams are very much like yours. It’s especially horrible during my first trimester. I always tell my husband that my poor body never gets a rest from stress. I deal with kids all day and then nightmares all night, lol! I’m 18 weeks right now and it’s finally getting better :o)
    After my first was born I had a lot of, what I would call, postpartum phychosis type thoughts. I was so terrified that someone was going to hurt her. I would have daydreams and visions of horrible things. I never went to the Dr. about it because I knew I wasn’t going to hurt her, but I was so sure someone else would. I even remember going to a wedding when she was 3 months old. Someone said, “someday that will be her” about my daughter. I said “yes it will”, and then thought “if she lives that long”. How horrible is that! It might have had something to do with my thyroid too. That’s right when it decided to go crazy too. When she was about 5 months old it stopped. Thanks goodness!! :O)
    Congrats on another boy ;o)

31. Toni-Louise
    January 20, 2013 | 5:36 pm

I am 31 weeks pregnant with my first child ( a little girl) and have frequent nightmares.. they went away during most of my second trimester and were really bad in my first, i thought i was over the nightmares until i hit the third trimester when they have made a rather unwelcome return! They’re always vivid and are usually about my partner leaving me, and the latest one he is leaving me for an ex and my bump disappears, they can be really unsettling and sometimes affect my relationship because i get paranoid during the day which my partner does not deserve, i have never had nightmares before pregnancy and they really get to me as much as i try not to let them, i hope they go away after pregnancy because i have a feeling sleep is going to be precious! i find a relaxing bath with lots of bubbles before bed does help and keeping anything i watch on t.v lighthearted.. hope i helped anyone in a similiar situation:)x