Hamburger and Ant Cupcakes

One of the lovely women that I met at Blissdom is Liz who blogs at Hoosier Homemade.  Liz is super creative in the kitchen and her particular specialty is cupcakes.

When I saw these amazing ant and hamburger cupcakes featured on her blog last week I knew that our little cupcake lover (Sadie, 6) would be thrilled to make them.

These were super easy and didn’t require any special tools.  We purchased red and yellow frosting (for the ketchup and mustard) in a tube right from the grocery and the children were able to put them on the cupcakes without any special tips.

Sadie working with some green icing for an ant cupcake

We colored some icing and coconut with green food coloring to create ‘lettuce’  and ‘grass’ and we piped black/brown icing for the ant’s legs and antennas using a sandwich bag with a small hole snipped into the corner.

Nicholas putting on chocolate covered almonds to make an ant.

Since we were making more than 40 decorated cupcakes, Sadie was happy to let the other children help out.

Amber helping Colby put some sesame seeds on top of a hamburger cupcake.

I love tackling fun projects that the kids are able to participate in and these cupcakes certainly fall into that category.   After the bigger kids cut the cupcakes for the ‘hamburgers’, the younger children were able to finish the hamburger on their own.

Colby with one of his 'hamburgers'.

With the ants, some of them required help with getting on  the green frosting, but were able to add the ‘grass’ and ‘ant’ themselves.

Hamburger cupcakes

Liz has a helpful video tutorial on her site for complete step-by-step directions and a listing of all the tools/ingredients needed.

Sadie with some of her creations.

For more kid friendly projects, check out these monogrammed, burlap pillows, domino Christmas ornaments or play silks.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest14Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

12 Responses to Hamburger and Ant Cupcakes
  1. Fiona at Inner Pickle
    May 31, 2010 | 8:56 am

CUTE!!!! What a fab idea.

2. Liz@HoosierHomemade
    May 31, 2010 | 8:56 am

Oh My! I’m just thrilled! You all did an AWESOME job! They look perfect! Tell the kids they can make cupcakes for me anytime!
    And I bet everyone loved them! Thanks for sharing them!
    ~Liz

Thanks for the great idea and easy directions!! We loved making these.

3. pam
    May 31, 2010 | 9:23 am

i love these and honest this is the simpliest way i have seen them done

4. Shannon
    May 31, 2010 | 9:56 am

I love these so much I called my 8 year old over to look and was told she ate two of these at her end of school party on Friday, apparently they where so popular the kids ate them before any of the adults even saw them, (of course the parent that made them was the exception.)

5. Anita Chamblee
    May 31, 2010 | 9:58 am

Cute!!!

6. Kylee
    May 31, 2010 | 11:17 am

So cute!! I love cupcakes so much, they are 100 times better than cake in my opinion. It looks like your kids had a wonderful time!

7. Sandpiper
    May 31, 2010 | 12:23 pm

How cute! I’ll keep them in mind for some upcoming birthdays this Summer.

8. Stephanie
    May 31, 2010 | 2:34 pm

Very cute.

9. Liz@HoosierHomemade
    June 1, 2010 | 7:46 am

I’m so glad you a had a minute to share these on Cupcake Tuesday! Yay!
    Thanks!
    ~Liz

10. […] Learning Have a yard full of these yellow edibles?  Don’t just study them, eat them too! Hamburger & Ant Cupcakes – Raising Olives The cutest picnic-perfect cupcakes ever, and easy even for little ones to […]

11. […] got this idea from the adorable book Hello, Cupcake! After the kids and I had so much fun making the hamburger and ant cupcakes that we made for Memorial Day, I saw the book ‘Hello Cupcake’ in the store and purchased […]