Get Grease Stains Out of Laundry

This is a quick tip that I learned a few years ago and that has since saved a multitude of clothing from being ruined.

You know those pesky grease or oil stains, those little places on your clothes that look like they are wet even when they’re dry?  Those pesky spots that  do not come out in the wash? Frustrating right? Well, here is our solution to grease stains once and for all.

Squirt just a bit of Dawn dish soap liquid onto the offending spot and rub in with your finger then wash in warm water with a regular load.

It has worked every time for us and makes my husband very happy.

Using Dawn dish detergent to get grease stains out of our family’s laundry works for me.

Do you have any stain removing tips to share?  Ya know that I can use all the help that I can get.

You may read more of my Works for Me tips or head over to We Are THAT Family for even more.

Share on Facebook7Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

41 Responses to Get Grease Stains Out of Laundry
  1. Shannon
    June 23, 2010 | 7:49 am

Thank you! Those grease spots have seriously been stealing my joy. I hope this works even when the clothes have been through the dryer – since I generally don’t KNOW when an item has a grease stain until it’s dry. Ah, I can live in peace now. :)

Blessings!

This does work, even on old grease spots that have been through the wash a few times. It rejuvenated my hubby’s wardrobe. :)

2. Marla
    June 23, 2010 | 8:08 am

Thanks for this hint!My Husband is getting grease on his clothes quite a bit!
    Blessings,
    Marla Grace

3. Janice
    June 23, 2010 | 8:10 am

I’ve used Dawn detergent for years. Even took some to England with me! It’s even gotten out grease stains that have gone through the dryer or have been ironed. Dawn detergent is what they use on the birds for the oil spill. Great stuff!

4. Kimarie
    June 23, 2010 | 8:32 am

Thanks for this, Kimberly! I was just wondering the other day about this and was going to research it. I’d also heard from “The Queen of Clean” years ago that for the spots that have been through the dryer, you “rejuvenate” the grease with a squirt of WD-40 then Fels Naphtha soap. This is SO much easier! I don’t have any Dawn at the moment… I wonder if my Biokleen degreaser would work… Thanks again ;-)

5. Susan
    June 23, 2010 | 9:06 am

Thanks for the great tip! I’ve been using Simple Green for those grease spots, but I think Dawn would be easier/better. One tip I learned last week (out of necessity – *ahem*) is that Murphy’s Oil Soap can be used to get Expo marker out of colorfast fabric. This saved a two-piece outfit! I applied it to the spots, worked with them until the stain was virtually gone, and then washed the items right away with a load of laundry.

Wish I had known that a while ago. We lost some clothes to those Expo markers.

6. Heather
    June 23, 2010 | 9:44 am

I use a couple tsp. of Dawn detergent as my regular laundry soap (very large loads)It is cheaper for me cause it lasts a lot longer – not sure how it compares in price to your homemade soap.

Melissa O Reply:

Do you just pour it in? I use dawn for my dishes and love it and have been using it for grease on clothing for years (it’s what my mother has always done) but I’ve never thought to use it instead of Tide to wash an entire load of clothes!

Another laundry tip: Just a little peroxide before washing gets blood stains out!

Heather Reply:

Yes,. I just pour it in when the water is starting up and then add the clothes, I usually add a scoop of generic oxyclean too.

7. Laryssa @ Heaven In The Home
    June 23, 2010 | 10:26 am

If if was with you I’d hug you! I’ve been clueless about how to get these pesky spots out.
    Thanks!

You don’t live that far, come visit. I’d love that hug. :)

8. Courtney
    June 23, 2010 | 10:36 am

Thanks! I have an easy way to get out Organic stains (anything natural- berries, ketchup)- all you do is put the item out in the sun for the day. It works for most food and berries.

Wow, thanks! I’ve been using this to get out newborn poop and spit for a while, but didn’t know it would work with berries. Yay!

9. Mama Mirage
    June 23, 2010 | 10:37 am

I used to use Dawn too but there were 2 problems that made me stop. First of all, we had to buy it ONLY for grease stains because I am very allergic to it. It is the harshest dish doap and for someone with skin conditions, eczema in my case, it’s not a good idea to touch. If I got any residue on my fingers, even if I washed it off instantly, the spot where it touched would break out in blisters. So we only had it around for grease stains.
    THEN I sat in french fries in someone else’s car. I tried Dawn to get the grease out and it DYED MY KHAKI PANTS BLUE. The Dawn dyed my pants on the spot where I’d used it so instead of a grease spot, I now had a blue spot. Looked like I got splashed with toilet bowl water on the rear of my pants. And I could not get it out for the life of me. That’s when I discovered that Shout gets out grease too- and doesn’t dye my clothes or blister my fingers. So I used to use Dawn, but don’t anymore. I squirt every stain in Shout and leave it overnight and then in the morning it almost always comes out in the wash. In fact after about a dozen applications, the Shout finally got the Dawn blue out of my poor pants too.
    So that’s why I don’t use Dawn anymore, and why I use Shout for almost everything. And what Shout won’t fix, OxiClean usually does. Just don’t put items with Shout on them in a wash load with OxiClean or it’ll turn your whites a weird yellow… ;)

10. Melissa
    June 23, 2010 | 10:39 am

I wish I’d read this last week, when my DH dripped oil on a favorite shirt. I washed it twice, using two different stain-treating products, and the second one finally took care of it. But something that works the first time would have been great!

11. Sherry
    June 23, 2010 | 11:04 am

I found out about this about a year ago, and it has saved me lots of clothes that is for sure!! :D Thanks for sharing!

Have a great day!
    Sherry

12. Chick Hatchers
    June 23, 2010 | 11:10 am

I just discovered this a couple months ago. In fact, I use whatever dish soap I have on hand and I rarely buy name brands. And it even works when a stain had made it through the dryer a number of times. I have no idea how old my stains were when I figured this was worth a try.

I’m sure Dawn would work when others fail, though. Dawn is what they use to clean wildlife affected by oil spils. I’m sure Dawn is doing very well right now in the Gulf!

mychildsview.blogspot.com

13. Renee
    June 23, 2010 | 11:20 am

That is a great tips! I use lemon juice to cut the grease out! And works wonder to make white whiter after they dry in the sun :-)

14. Alison
    June 23, 2010 | 11:23 am

Pour boiling water through Jell-O stains. Just repeat until it’s all gone and wash as usual. Also, De-solve It works on grease stains.

15. Liberty
    June 23, 2010 | 11:33 am

THis is GReat! hI have previously invested in de-greaser from the automotive section, but that doesn’t always work! *Blessings*

16. jerilyn
    June 23, 2010 | 2:09 pm

I need to try this… I wear my clothes as is, grease stains and all! :D

17. Bekki
    June 23, 2010 | 2:18 pm

This sounds like a great idea. grease stains are the only thing holding me back on using homeade laundry detergent. It just doesn’t cut it like Tide. If this works I won’t need to have two laundry soaps anymore!

18. Alicia
    June 23, 2010 | 3:48 pm

I NEVER thought of using Dawn to get those stains out! Makes me want to go through the house and find all the stained shirts! lol I use Dawn foam on tough grease on my stove and oven and I bet it would work wonders on clothes (maybe the foam wouldn’t dye anything blue, either) Thanks for the great tip!!

19. Angela
    June 23, 2010 | 4:58 pm

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I’ve ruined many a shirt with little spots like that, and I never could get them out! SO frustrating! Thanks for that very helpful tip!

20. Lisa
    June 23, 2010 | 6:34 pm

To get out some crayon that had gone through the wash and made it into the dryer with a very expensive shirt I followed some advice I read on the internet…spray the crayon stains with WD40 and let sit about 1/2 hour. Then put Dawn on the spots as well, launder in hottest water your garment can stand without ruining it. It worked well. I have since discovered a product called Citrasafe which is less toxic than WD40 that works well too. Both products are oily so I asume the Dawn is to remove the oil they leave behind after dissolving the crayon. It also gets crayon marks off hard surfaces like walls and furniture.

This is another tip that I needed a while ago. But I’m sure that it will come in handy in the future. :) Thanks!

21. Vicki Haley
    June 23, 2010 | 10:23 pm

I can’t wait to try this! You wouldn’t happen to know what takes ink out do you?
    Thanks for sharing!

Hair spray. Get the cheap aerosol kind and spray until the ink just starts running out of the clothing, then launder as usual.

I’m not great at stains, but grease and ink I can handle.

22. Leann
    June 24, 2010 | 4:12 am

never tried the dawn on greese spots (I am also sensitive to it so don’t buy it) – but I have found that Goo-Gone works great on greese stains – even dried ones.

One thing I love for stained clothes, even those baby clothes that got packed away, seemingly clean and are not yellowed is Oxi-clean – Put 2 – 4 times the reccommended amount in a dish tub and add boiling, not just hot, but boiling water then stir and add the st ained garments. Let soak for at least 30 minutes, pour the hole thing is washer and wash as usual.

For fruit and juice stains (even grape) boiling water poured through the stain works great. Stretch the garmet over a bowl/bucket with stain on top. Stand on a stool or a step with bucket below and pour the boiling water through the stain. The gravity helps break the stain out from the fibers of the clothes.

Thanks for the Oxi-Clean tip.

23. Julie
    June 24, 2010 | 7:29 am

If you notice a grease type stain on clothes coming OUT of the dryer (in our house many of those were milk which dried w/o a mark prior to washing and were not noticeable until the heat of the dryer “set them in”), try Shout and rewashing. It often works.

Also, vinegar is great for fruit stains (before washing), except for banana. I have yet to figure out a way to remove banana from fabric effectively.

24. Twisted Cinderella
    June 24, 2010 | 11:07 am

Great tip! thanks!

25. Allison
    June 24, 2010 | 3:23 pm

I need to keep that in mind. Baby powder or corn starch also work for oil stains. Pat some on the stain (the front and back of the fabric if it’s a big stain). It’ll absorb the oil and then you can wash like normal!

26. Lisa
    June 28, 2010 | 12:47 pm

Rubbing alcohol gets most ink out too. Berry juice is easily removed with hydrogen peroxide.

27. Dimitra
    July 4, 2010 | 10:20 am

I come from a family that runs restaurants and works in them too. Grease stains were always the biggest issue. I think we spend more money buying new clothing and products to get rid of grease stains.
    Thanks to this trick, I only spend 3 dollars on a bottle of Dawn, and my family still has a great looking clothes. Thank u again for making my busy life a little more easy.
    It works really great on kids clothing too (chocolate stains)

28. Kimarie
    July 26, 2010 | 10:19 am

Before I make a mistake, does anyone know if this has a negative effect on HE washing machines? I know Dawn is NOT low-sudsing…

29. zeemaid
    July 27, 2010 | 12:56 pm

all great tips! My problem is I don’t always catch the stain and would like it to just come out in the wash period.

30. Rachel
    August 2, 2010 | 8:50 pm

I have gotten rid of so many dark colored shirts b/c of grease stains on them that could not be removed. I tried your idea – and it really works!!! THANK YOU!!!

31. MaryAnn
    August 28, 2010 | 11:39 am

Dawn is all I use as a pre-treater for my whole life. Laundry was my dads chore (lol) he came up with it all on his own in our house when I was real young. I use an old shout bottle put 1/3 of a small bottle of dawn & fill with hot water & shake. It comes out feel foamy, rub it in & workd great.

32. Chriss Martorelli
    January 14, 2014 | 4:16 pm

I have used Dawn on some of my stains but it doesn’t always work. Is it because I use cold water wash? I do not want to use hot water because of shrinking.