Homeschool: Refresh

Since most of the 4 moms of many are rapidly becoming moms of more than before,  (Congrats to Connie on her new daughter,  to KimC on her second SON and to me for making it to the last few weepy weeks of this pregnancy :) ) we’ve decided to take a temporary break from 4 Moms, 35 Kids for the summer.

We’d love to hear your topic ideas for when we begin again, so feel free to share those with The Deputy Headmistress (who has a helpful post about school supplies up today), KimC, Connie or me.

I didn’t want to just leave you hanging this week, so since I’m not kissing on a newborn or even in labor, I thought I’d join the Homeschool Village in their topic for the week.  The question  is:

What do you – homeschool mom – do to get refreshed for the next school year?

Tom Sawyer??

If you’ve been reading Raising Olives long you’ll know that we homeschool year round.  We homeschool year round for several reasons, but the one that applies to this topic is that we love homeschooling, I am refreshed by homeschooling and being with my children. The children enjoy learning, I enjoy teaching them and we love being together.

Some of this probably has to do with some of the things that make our homeschool unique and our general plan for homeschooling.  We focus on relationships and character, don’t “school at home”, use very few workbooks, text books or busy work and  adopt a lifestyle of learning.

We learn by reading, talking, discussing and exploring our world together as a family.  We don’t get tired of that!

Hot Chocolate and Bible reading around a campfire

We do take occasional breaks from some school subjects to focus on other subjects or to tackle family projects, but even then we are still educating our children.  No one ever takes a break from teaching their children about God, working on character and relationships.  :)  Math, science, reading and the rest are wrapped up in these things, they aren’t  found in text books on a shelf somewhere.

When we’re on vacation, camping or at the beach, we continue to read our Bibles each morning, work on memorization, have family worship, read aloud and talk, talk, talk, those things are part of our life, not just part of homeschooling.

What are your secrets to staying refreshed as you homeschool your kids?

I am not counting down every single day until this baby is due.  How much longer??

Facebook2Pinterest0EmailTwitter0

21 Responses to Homeschool: Refresh
  1. Laura
    June 10, 2010 | 8:54 am

I love that you are refreshed by homeschooling your children! I am, too!

This is a great blog and I think Ive been here before but I will be back. :)

2. Marla
    June 10, 2010 | 10:24 am

Well said.Congrats on the end of your pregnancy!I have one more week ,and I will be in my second trimester !Yeah!I have been so tired,hope to gain some energy!Enjoy your family!

3. Mozi Esmes Mom
    June 10, 2010 | 10:32 am

Thanks for the reminder to keep daily devotions on the list, even if I’m not doing the traditional morning school routine…

4. Laura
    June 10, 2010 | 11:37 am

Hi Kim,

I have a question for ya’ll. I have a 5, 3 and 1 yr old. I was wondering if and how you teach your children about their bodies, sex, and modesty. My 5 yr old is noticing different feelings from his body and i am stumped as to how i can convey a Godly perspective. Is there a book that i can use to give just enough info, but not too much for their little minds. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Laura

I’m assuming this is a 4 Moms question. I’ll put it in our queue. :)

5. Annie Harbert@ Beauty In The Surrender
    June 10, 2010 | 11:54 am

My question is simply this: What scriptures and/or stories do you and your husband rely upon for comfort, guidance, security, and peace as a homeschooling family?

Thanks Annie. I put this on our 4 Moms list.

6. Heather
    June 10, 2010 | 12:10 pm

We have daily silent reading. I need my quiet reading time each afternoon as much as my children need it. When we are done with our reading we talk about what we have read and often find inspiration for what we want to read next. We also homeschool year around, I enjoy the consistency and as I have explained to my children learning is constant. The public school model of taking the summer off was to allow the children to work on their family farms. Since we don’t have a farm they still have plenty of time to learn AND enjoy the sun. :-)

7. Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads
    June 10, 2010 | 3:05 pm

I know you’re ready for that little one to make an appearance. :)

I too find homeschooling refreshing. I love spending time with my daughter and seeing her grow physically, mentally, and spiritually.

8. celee
    June 10, 2010 | 3:44 pm

I guess when you explain it that way, we homeschool year round, too. It just looks a little different from the rest of the year. We continue with reading, but take a break from our regular math studies. We’re in between Sonlight cores, but reading none-the-less. We’ve had fun spotting horned toads and prairie dogs and even a couple of road runners at the ranch. The girls have helped me bake even more than usual since we have more time- this always creates learning opportunities. And we’re gearing up for a fun vacation later this summer that will include visiting a big creation science museum in Kentucky. And since my older 3 kids are doing the 90 day Bible challenge with me, that leads to lots of fun and interesting discussions like why little girls can’t marry their dads! I love being with my kids, too, but must confess I love our more relaxed summer schedule. I have more time to exercise and it feels like we have more time to play together. Maybe we should try to be more relaxed all the time!

Hi Celee. I think that if you use a broad definition EVERYONE homeschools year round.

Our family doesn’t take long breaks from any of our subjects. Does that make sense?

I’d say that if you could see our school you would say it is more relaxed than yours is when you are in the midst of your school year, but ours is a little more structured than yours is during the summer. That’s just a guess. :)

9. Nikki
    June 10, 2010 | 5:03 pm

I love reading your homeschooling posts. And this is one I especially enjoyed today as I’ve been pondering a certain homeschool curriculum. I like your style. :)

10. Sue
    June 10, 2010 | 6:55 pm

I love that you get refreshed by homeschooling and teaching your children. It is such a blessing and a joy in my life too.

11. Joy
    June 10, 2010 | 8:23 pm

Enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing! :)

12. Katey
    June 10, 2010 | 9:15 pm

I want to go to your homeschool hot chocolate+campfire+His word=BLISS

13. Sharon
    June 10, 2010 | 10:56 pm

We school year round as well. I couldn’t imagine doing it any other way.

14. chantelle
    June 11, 2010 | 8:16 am

You mentioned that you take occasional breaks to tackle family projects, which reminded me, I would love to hear what you have been able to cross off your “to-do before the baby is born list.” :)

I hope to post about my list next week. If I don’t you can leave a mean comment. :)

15. SomeGirl
    June 11, 2010 | 10:11 am

Love your homeschooling style and the bond it sounds like your family has through it! It’s so nice to meet you through the Homeschool Village! ♥ Michelle

16. Kim from Canada
    June 12, 2010 | 12:52 pm

Hi, Kim
    I been lurking about and enjoying the ‘mom’ series you’ve done with the other three ladies – and have shared the homeschooling sections with friends alot!
    Homeschool for our little family may not include alot of book work during the summer and fall seasons, but we always say “homeschooling is everywhere!” Some of the refreshing activities we do include field trips (science centers, zoo, camping). The fall brings us to all the agricultural fairs in the area where kids can participate in all kinds of contests. These fairs are really our warm up to starting back into a regular routine with texts.
    BTW, I am now four days overdue for the birth of our next little one – this is a homeschool project for everyone, including my husband!

Hoping that you have a safe and joyous birth, SOON!