Not Me: Popsicles and the Van

I did not forget about a doctor’s appointment last week and end up skipping it completely.  (I’m not completely blaming that on baby brain, Oi!)

It did not take us 45 minutes to figure out the new van seating arrangements for when the baby is born.  The conversation did not go something like this.

So in the front seat we’ll have Matthew, the baby and Alyssa.  Then in the middle seat we’ll have Kaitlin, Nicholas and Colby and in the back seat will be Amber, Sadie, Savannah and Carter.

No, no, no that won’t work because Matthew and Colby are buddies and need to sit beside each other.

So then we’ll put Sadie, the baby and Alyssa in the front, Matthew, Colby, and Kaitlin in the middle and Nicholas, Amber, Savannah and Carter in the back.

No, that won’t work because, I want a big kid sitting next to  Nicholas to help him eat and hold his hand  in the parking lot AND  I need a child who is big enough to legally sit in the front seat to be sitting next to the baby in case I need to switch places to check on the baby during a trip.

Since we habitually bulk cook and I’m accustomed to having my freezer stocked with meals, I did not neglect to make any special arrangements for food for my family for after the c-section until I realized last week that we haven’t bulk cooked since March, our freezer is no longer stocked! Guess what our plans are for this week?

(A special thank you to our church family from ‘back home’ {where we lived until nearly 5 years ago} and my lovely sisters in Christ up there for asking how you could help and preparing food to stock our freezer.  Thank you, my friends!!!!)

We did not alter our plans for Wednesday to ensure that we will be home because we are expecting a special delivery of the new Popsicle Jolly Rancher ice pops.  (Did you know that someone will actually deliver Popsicles right to your home?)  Now if I can just prevent the children from tackling the poor Fed Ex guy we’ll be all right. 😉

Only 8 days until the arrival of baby #10, but I’m NOT counting.

I’m not just forgetful and scatter brained, I share some fun family ideas like jammie drills and cool projects like homemade chalkboard paint along with lots of homeschool information!

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

20 Responses to Not Me: Popsicles and the Van
  1. Heidi
    June 28, 2010 | 9:31 am

Wow! 8 more days! That’s very exciting for your family.

Our seating arrangement conversation was similar with just 4 kids, I can’t imagine the logistics with more!

2. Heather
    June 28, 2010 | 11:21 am

10 children! Very exciting… I’ll have to keep an eye on this blog

3. Sandy
    June 28, 2010 | 12:37 pm

I’m new to your site, and I love it!!! Great post!

4. Kelli
    June 28, 2010 | 1:04 pm

Kim,
    I’m excited for you and no, we’re NOT counting down the days around here either 🙂 Wouldn’t it be fun if we were at the hospital at the same time! Hope you get a lot done your last 8 days.

It would be fun to be in the hospital at the same time. I’m aiming for Thursday, OK? 🙂

5. Kate
    June 28, 2010 | 1:20 pm

I’m not sure if you’ve mentioned it in an earlier post, but what kind of van do you drive? We currently have a Chevy Astro, but are expecting number 6- after that we’ll have to move up :). Thanks for your ideas! 🙂

We have a Chevy 12 passenger van. We’ll fill it up with this baby.

6. Jessica
    June 28, 2010 | 1:40 pm

First time visitor but I will be back. I’ll be praying that you C-section goes smoothly next week.

Thank you for your prayers!

7. Hillary
    June 28, 2010 | 2:59 pm

I always love reading your blog and feeling normal 🙂 Our conversation for our newest seating arrangement was much the same. I did notice you said ‘us’. My conversations like this are almost always one-sided. DH just gets into the Suburban and drives 😀 I have my 2nd eldest directly in front of her ‘buddy’. He only occasionally needs help to buckle and then they are getting out at the same time to hold hands, etc. Not counting with you. Praying you have a productive week.

To Kate–we outgrew our minivan with this last baby as well. We were able to find a Suburban quickly and inexpensively. DH was happy it has 4 wheel drive. We are still hunting for a 15 passenger for our next vehicle purchase. Actually, I want the 15 passenger set up as a 14 passenger with an aisle. They are so much easier to get everyone in and out of and you are only losing one seat. Congratulations on your growing family.

Well Hillary, this conversation was with my children, hubby had already left for work. Yes, he just gets in and drives.

Thank you for your prayers, I don’t know about productive, but I sure have been getting lots of sleep.

8. ambre
    June 28, 2010 | 4:33 pm

What a blessing it is to have a buddy system to complicate life! 🙂

9. JESSICA
    June 28, 2010 | 5:18 pm

We totally do a seating arrangement with just 4 kids…in the van…at a restaurant..in church…to give us the highest success rate for that day!!!!!!!
    Also, today, I did NOT….get up 4 kiddos and get out the door early for an a.m. Dr. appt. 45 minutes away..only to get there and find out I was a DAY EARLY!!

Oh, I have so done the showing up for the appointment on the wrong day. {rolls eyes} I used to have a brain, anymore I’m just happy that everyone is clean and fed at the end of the day.

10. Letisha
    June 28, 2010 | 10:45 pm

okay… so we have a 15 passenger van as well though only 6 children so far. Here is my problem with seating. I put the newborn in the middle of the front seat. Then whoever sits behind the driver’s seat has a hard time getting to it. Either climb over and climb under. How do you do it?
    Or is there a better place for the baby or any rear facing carseat?

Also, when can a child sit up front legally?
    Thanks!

We seat a smallish to mid-sized child behind the driver in the front row an have them go under the baby seat. Ideally they get into the car before the baby and then they can just push the infant seat up and get into there seat without to much crawling. 🙂

As far as sitting in the front seat, I think that it may vary state to state so I’d check to make sure but in TN they may sit up front at age 12.

11. viewer
    June 29, 2010 | 12:52 pm

Where did you order those Jolly Rancher ice pops from ? I’ve been looking all over the internet and can’t find them.

I’m a Popsicle brand ambassador and it’s one of the fun perks. Popsicle is sending these directly to us. 🙂

12. My Boaz's Ruth
    June 29, 2010 | 3:53 pm

Letisha: The least protected child should be (in an ideal world) in the most protected spot. So I’d put the rear-facing child in an outside seat and a different child in the center. If the center has shoulder belts — a child who has a booster or does not sit in a seat at all would be the least protected child. If it does not, then a Forward Facing harnessed child is who needs to sit there.

Legal for when a child can sit in the front seat? depends on what state you are in.
    http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content49066.aspx <– some information for several states as well as the general recommendation

13. Melanie Melugin
    July 8, 2010 | 7:31 pm

New follower!

Hope you’ll come and follow back!

Going green with Noah