Tips for the end of pregnancy

Since I have less than a week left in this pregnancy I figured this post was appropriate.  Please feel free to share your tips as well.

It seems that the end of pregnancy is always a struggle for me.  I’ve been blessed in that I don’t have any of the common complications that many women experience at the end of pregnancy.  I’m just generally uncomfortable,  lacking in energy and impatient.

Here are some strategies that help me during the last few weeks of pregnancy:

• Focus on others – Have a younger mom who needs encouragement over or make extra dessert and take it to your neighbors.
  • Take a hike.  One of  my favorite things to do at the end of pregnancy is to head out and hike with the family.  Take a short hike at the park or around the neighborhood after dinner.  Go for a longer more challenging hike on a Saturday.  Being outside, away from the house, getting some exercise and watching the kids enjoy nature does wonders to relax and invigorate.
  • Focus on your kids – Do something fun with your kid.  Take them to the park, swimming, let them play in the mud or make cookies.  If you’re really tired, just lie on the couch and read aloud to them all. day. long.
  • Rest – You’ll need to be at your top for labor and birth and you’ll also appreciate that extra sleep once you have a small one in the house who may or may not realize that you enjoy sleeping during the dark hours.
  • Tackle a project – something that is fun and motivating for you, not just something that needs to be done.  I enjoy rearranging furniture, planting flowers or decluttering.
  • Make a plan – Make special plans for the baby’s due date (or a day or two after it).  It began when another mom of many and I were due about the same time.  We made plans to go out to dinner on our due dates.   These plans gave me something to look forward to and even made a small part of me hope that I would be able to make it.  We spent her due date dinner in the hospital visiting over her newborn, but mine proceeded as planned. :)
  • Put some meals in the freezer.
  • Clean something.
  • Memorize and meditate on scripture that will be comforting during labor and birth.
  • Remember that no matter how young/old you are or your history this may be the last time that you have the blessing of a little life growing and moving inside you, enjoy it!

Having a plan and remembering to enjoy the end of pregnancy works for me.  For more Works For Me Wednesday ideas visit We Are THAT Family.

Now just for fun and because it’s traditional for our family to guess about the baby’s stats.  Leave a comment guessing the baby’s weight and length.

It’s  odd this time knowing the gender and having a c-section scheduled.  If anyone wants to guess that this baby is coming before our scheduled c-section on July 6th you’ll gain my undying affection. :)  (I am having my typical 5 minute apart contractions.  After having read some of my birth stories are you impressed?  I’m not either.)

I’m hoping for tomorrow, it would be so convenient to have Mark off for the whole holiday weekend to help.  Mark is hoping for July 4th just because that would be fun and 1/3 of our children have been born on a Sunday.  My dad accuses me of being secretly rebellious.

Six days thou shalt labor and do all thy work, but the seventh is a Sabbath to the Lord your God, in it thou shalt not do any work.

Here is the history of baby weights to help you out (or not).   Our smallest baby was 6 lbs. 15oz. biggest was 9 lbs. 15 oz. (one 6 pounder, three in the 7 pound range, three in the 8 pound range and two 9 pounders).

Share on Facebook3Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter2

13 Responses to Tips for the end of pregnancy
  1. Shannon
    June 30, 2010 | 8:06 am

Ha! Your Dad’s funny. Well, I think you’re going to have a sweet, July 4th, 8-pounder.

Thinking of you and can’t wait to see that lil’ baby’s picture.

2. Alicia
    June 30, 2010 | 8:32 am

My children always got bigger… I will guess 10lbs (sorry ;)) Good luck with everything!! I will be praying for you!

3. Ruth Adams
    June 30, 2010 | 9:29 am

How funny. My husband said he wanted Lilly Faith to come on July 4th too. We are scheduled for an induction on July 8th. I totally feel your pain right now. :) Last week I was getting really frustrated that this is my fifth baby, and I’ve never gone into early labor on my own. I was thinking surely I should get off easy at least once. The Lord has been gently reminding me that He is Sovereign over ALL, and that includes not allowing my babies to come early. Not even one of them. I tend to be having mood swings but am trying to keep a calm heart. Hang in there; we’re almost there! I can’t wait to hear the good news and see pictures of your bundle of joy.

4. Jama
    June 30, 2010 | 10:31 am

Part of me would love for you to go into labor early while Mark is at home, however if you do your freezer will be a few meals emptier! I can’t get my meals to your mom until Sunday (finishing them up today and tomorrow). If you go early I guess I’ll just have to deliver them! :-) Praying for contentment for you. We’ll miss you on the 3rd!

5. chantelle
    June 30, 2010 | 12:39 pm

I am hoping for tomorrow, a long weekend with dad’s help would be great. My guess 7lbs. 13oz. :)

6. Summer N.
    June 30, 2010 | 2:45 pm

Well, my best tips as observed with family members c-sections are:
    borrow a recliner to sleep in/sit in
    have lots of freezer meals labeled with cooking directions
    buy fresh fruit as a healthy snack for all
    bake up cookies, bread and brownies and prepavkage for easy kid snacks
    cut up fresh fruits every am for quick healthy snacks
    have someone change all linens just before the due date
    (you’ll be so glad that this was done later)
    make sure every part of the house is tidy(get kids to help)
    visitors will want to see your new baby!!
    Deep clean your bedroom and bathroom
    set out all new baby supplies, mommy supplies
    everything should be ready to use( already laundered and organized)
    show others where the mom and baby supplies are so they can retrieve these if needed
    enlist a group of volunteers that can bring a hot supper….let everyone choose a day of the week now. No matter when baby comes, the person already knows what day they picked and meals start only on the day u come home from the hospital. This is such a great gift!!!!
    Create a chore chart for extra chores just for this time. We had “captains” in charge of zones in the house…kitchen cleaning, bathrooms, living areas, meal planning/grocery lists, cooking, laundry and schooling.this was majorly helpful to have one child oversee extra chores in these areas.
    We are wishing you a perfect c-section, and a healthy baby and recovery! It’s all going to work out just fine! Enjoy every minute!

7. .ambre.
    June 30, 2010 | 6:09 pm

Both of my girls came on Fridays, per their Daddy’s request so I’ll try to send some of that baby obedience your way. :)
    Tomorrow, 8lb. 13oz.
    Along the lines of your tip to reading/memorizing scripture while waiting to go into labor, I wrote down the scripture I wanted to remember on index cards to be read to me DURING labor. It was wonderful! My husband Erik and my friend Kelly took turns and it really helped to renew my mind while the going got rough. :)

8. Annie @ Beauty In The Surrender
    June 30, 2010 | 8:52 pm

We will be thinking/praying about you and your husband this weekend. My nephew was born on the 4th of July while my brother was still in the Army.

I really hope your c-section goes well. After three of my own I don’t know if my body could handle anymore.

Did you Dr. give you pre-op paper work? What type of pain management techniques will they use? With my first two babies I had a very strong pain med. I dont’t want to say morphine because I really don’t know. I just know that I didn’t remember much but the pain was still really bad in my c-section area. I couldn’t even cough.
    The last surgery I was given an On-Q Pain Buster. It’s was a fanny pack with Novacaine. I had a cathater that went into my lower abdomin and the Novacaine was slowly released over the 5 days I was in the hospital. I didn’t feel a thing! God was gracious!

Again, I will be praying for you! ♥ Annie

Thanks Annie. I assume I’ll get that info tomorrow at my OB appointment. I do want to ask him some questions about the type of pain management they use.

9. Susan
    July 1, 2010 | 11:00 am

My prediction for your baby’s size is 8 lbs., 10 oz. and 20 inches long. Sorry, but I think you’re going to make it to your scheduled date, so enjoy the weekend! :) You’ve got a lot of good advice on how to maintain patience at the end of pregnancy, something I always struggle with. We are praying for you and your soon-to-arrive little girl! I have a casserole to send along with your mom. Blessings to you all!!

10. Laurie
    July 1, 2010 | 12:26 pm

I have had two C-sections, and its the small things they don’t prepare you for. After the epidural was applied, and I was on the operating table, I began to shake. I shook like a salt shaker the whole time. It frieked me out, but the doc said it’s perfectly normal, and by the time I was back in my hospital room, it had stopped.

Also, the incision on the outside is not so bad, but the pain on the inside (your uterus) is not so fun. Whatever pain meds you choose, just don’t let them wear off for the first week, at least!

Oh, how could I forget…Get an encouraging song or scripture in your head that you can think about when you get nervous or scared. Mine was a song called “Jesus has his hand on me”, and also Psalms is great!

Thanks for sharing your story! Laurie

11. Deirdre
    July 1, 2010 | 4:44 pm

I think that you will go until the 6th. For wt: low 8 lbs (8 lbs 3 oz maybe). For late in preg.: Anything to distract you! My situation is a little different from yours, but while I am waiting for God to send us a baby I am trying to make improvements in our family’s life that will pay off in the long run and I am trying to extra savor my kids at the ages they are and do things w/ them that are hard to do w/ a baby. Sounds real noble, doesn’t it? Well, at least I am aimming high. LOL

12. missy
    July 2, 2010 | 5:51 pm

Kimberly, Not sure if you have had any c-sectiions or not I really can’t seem to remember and don’t have time to go back and read right now. But I wanted to encourage you some. I have had 4 and will soon be having my 5th. I have heard horror tails about it but I must say mine have gotten better each time as I have learned new things to do. Everyone is different and hs different recoveries. It sounds like you have a well managed home so that will make a huge difference when you come home for a few days of just taking care of yourself and the new baby. Praying the best for you! My second child almost came on the 4th but decided to wait around till the 5th. I will never forget the drive to the hospital in the next town listening to the big fireworks show. Stay cool on these hot days! Missy in Cleveland(Just down the road a bit)