The Day I Lived “Not Me”, But Didn’t Post It

If you’ve read Raising Olives for long, you probably know that if  I can remember what happened during the week I have plenty of fodder for a “Not Me” post.  Last week was no different.  But rather than visiting RO and giggling at our family, you were treated to a day of silence.

It all began at the end of last week when I decided that I should get out our baby clothes.   After having two little boys and the longest break between children that we’ve ever experienced, I went through our baby clothes (especially girl clothes) and gave nearly all if it to friends.   So realizing that we might actually NEED a few things for this baby, I pulled out our newborn box to access the status.

Do you remember the mouse incident a couple of months ago?  Evidently, Mrs. Mouse did not move into our residence all by herself because when I opened the box of baby things…..

Thankfully, we’ve not seen any evidence at all in the house, but our out-of-season clothing (and bulk food storage) is in the garage.

Yesterday I spent the entire day with ‘not me’s’ running through my head as the children and I went through every box, bag, bucket and container in our garage, doing laundry, sorting,  giving away, etc.  We moved all the shelves, the refrigerator, the freezer, everything located in the garage and cleaned, mopped and scrubbed.  Did I mention  that it was extremely humid with the the temperature in the 90’s and a heat index through the roof?

Several things coincided to make yesterday a HUGE success:

1. That lovely nesting urge finally showed up.
  2. The Council of the Blind is sending a truck to pick up our donations on Wednesday.  I may have to tell them to send an extra truck.  Seriously.
  3. On Sunday a sweet friend came by to visit and brought us DINNER, so we were able to work right through the day and simply come in to showers and a wonderful meal that included fresh strawberries, mmm!!!
  4. I have big kids!  Kaitlin (12) stayed inside and manned the washing machine and dryer, watched any younger children who preferred to be in the air conditioning, put lunch and dinner on the table and kept the house in order.  Everyone else put in a lot of muscle in the garage.

Someone asked about family projects for which we ‘cancel’ school.  Cleaning out the garage yesterday fell into that category.

**To our friends and neighbors: We are not moving and all the stuff on our porch will be gone by Wednesday, unless the Council forgets to send that extra truck.

Chantelle recently asked if I’d give an update on my before-the-baby-comes-to-do list.

The original list:

• Finish school goals/curriculum for this ’school year’.
  • Order, organize and plan goals/curriculum for next year. (in process)
  • Start new ’school year’. I’m loving how beautifully Core 1 and 6 of Sonlight are integrating for us and enjoying the special time with our younger kids. We’ve completed 3 weeks.
  • Take out wall between two rooms downstairs and make into one large bedroom. Our friend who is going to help with this project has been unavailable, so we’ve not started.  I’m not thinking that this will be done pre-baby.
  • Decorate new bedroom for use by some of our children.  See above.
  • Play musical children, furniture and things with the bedrooms. We moved all the furniture around to where it will belong after the construction is done.
  • Make curtains for family room.
  • Plan and take a vacation (camping preferably).We decided to put this off until after the baby arrives.
  • Finish knitting the baby’s blanket.
  • Pick out a NAME. (We’re open for suggestions)
  • Get out baby things. A little earlier than planned.

Things I’ve added:

• Clean out and de-cletter garage.
  • De-clutter master bedroom.
  • De-clutter both kids bedrooms.
  • Scrub grout in kitchen and all three bathrooms.
  • De-clutter all three bathrooms.
  • A collection of knitting projects for the baby, some are done and some in progress.
  • Freezer cook.?
  • Write more birth stories.  Hmm, this is a hard one.
  • Do a lot more fun things with the kids.   (Free movies, Museum of Appalachia,  splash pad, hike, etc.)
  • Prepare for and take a break from blogging.

With only 3 more weeks until the end of this pregnancy, I’m beginning to run regular contractions and am finally feeling like we really are almost there.  It also helps to have some baby things around.  😉  I’m getting really excited,  God is so good!

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

30 Responses to The Day I Lived “Not Me”, But Didn’t Post It
  1. Bonni
    June 15, 2010 | 8:54 am

As the ‘time’ approaches, I will be praying for you! Praying for peace for both you, and your family! I will also pray for God’s blessing on all of the professionals that will be assisting in the arrival of your latest gift from God!

Bonnie, thank you for your prayers both for peace and for safety! I appreciate you showing your love for our family through your time and prayers.

2. Anita Chamblee
    June 15, 2010 | 9:07 am

Only three more weeks!! Seems like a short pregnancy, but I’m not the pregnant one. LOL!! The tyranny of the urgent is always a reason to stop the book learning and concentrate on real life for a day or two, isn’t it? Praying that all goes well for you and your family in these last few weeks!

Mice are a great reason to take a break from the books. 🙂

Thank you for your prayers, they are appreciated!!

3. Dawna
    June 15, 2010 | 9:42 am

Looks like you are getting a lot accomplished. How are you feeling these days?

As I round the final stretch of my pregnancy I think of you and your family often and pray for you guys. Your blog has been such a blessing and inspiration to me. I too have been having contractions for the last few weeks, and have been nesting like crazy. I love it!

Take care of yourself and know that even though I have not met you in person, you are in my thoughts today and I am praying for you this week.
    Sincerely,
    Dawna

Dawna,

I was on your blog the other day and wanted to leave a comment, but your site and my computer were having problems. Anyway what I wanted to say is that you look amazing and you are sooo close!! Congrats.

Thank you so much for your prayers. I am both humbled and honored that you would take the time to pray for us, thank you!

4. Annie Harbert@ Beauty In The Surrender
    June 15, 2010 | 11:04 am

Doesn’t it feel good to get that much accomplished? Awesome! I will also be praying for you and your family as you all near the end of your pregnancy.

yes, yes, yes, especially after having so little energy the last, oh, 8 months or so!

Thank you!!

5. Helen
    June 15, 2010 | 12:00 pm

Boy, I agree with Anita – that was a short pregnancy!

Will be eager to hear that all went exceptionally well!!!

Lucy

6. Jennifer Jordan
    June 15, 2010 | 2:40 pm

Hi! I have been reading your blog recently, I found you through Life In a Shoe and the mom/kid series.

You and I are due with our new babies at exactly the same time! This will be our 8th little one. I have gotten the nesting feeling in little spurts, but not like I need it so I can finish some big projects! The heat has been wearing me out!

Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I enjoy your blog! I’m thinking about doing the NotMe posts…I have several from last week! LOL

Thank you Jennifer.

I enjoyed the article you referred to on your blog by my friend Kara about evaluating our children’s progress. Kara is a kindred spirit!!

You are right about our new babies. Do you usually have your babies early or late??

Jennifer Jordan Reply:

We have had 2 stubborn babies (LOL) that were 11 and 12 days late, but the others usually come right around their due dates. This time I’m ready NOW, which is unusual for me! I think it’s just because of this Georgia heat! :0) How about you? I enjoyed your first couple of birth stories….are you planning on writing any before your next baby’s arrival?

7. Sarah
    June 15, 2010 | 2:51 pm

Museum of Appalachia! Where are you located? I’m just east of Knoxville. You must not be too far from me. Here I am thinking you live in a way other part of the world and we’re practically neighbors. LOL! it HAS been HOT and HUMID. that’s for sure!
    Always get a real kick out of your blog. It’s always fun and encouraging. 🙂
    I am pregnant with #3. Due the end of the August. Just found out it’s a girl!

We are neighbors. We live in Knoxville. 🙂 We’ve never been to the Museum of Appalachia, any tips?

If you missed my post about the free Jamie Soles concert, be sure to check out the details, my kids are super excited!!

Congratulations on another girl!

Sarah Reply:

Thanks! Wow! Ok, so, yeah, we live in Dandridge! Check my blog out sometime and you can “meet me” there! sarahsheartshome.blogspot.com
    Never been to the Museum either but I have been wanting to go.
    We’ll have to meet up sometime! Maybe the zoo? 🙂

The zoo would be fun if it cools down a bit or after the baby comes.

Feel free to email and we’ll see if we can figure something out.

8. GapGirl
    June 15, 2010 | 3:06 pm

How exciting!! So close to your due date… do you know what your having??? This heat is extreme!!! I can’t believe you cleaned the garage in it… you go girl! (but be careful)

We’re having a girl, just like you are, congrats!!

I can’t believe we cleaned the garage in the heat either, whew, but I am glad it’s done.

9. Celee
    June 15, 2010 | 4:00 pm

I love those super-productive days! I need to go through our baby clothes, too one of these days. I have a bit more time than you do, though. Thank you for the name suggestions. I’m still voting for Calvin, but not so sure hubby’s on board. I know you all are excited about another baby girl after two boys. Our bunch is excited that we’ll have the same number of boys now as girls. Congrats and looking forward to hearing about this birth story!

I have a brother named Calvin. It’s a good name.

I’m a little jealous that you’ll be even, we’ve never had that experience. 🙂

10. KimC
    June 15, 2010 | 4:06 pm

I’m hoping you make it far enough down your list to write some more birth stories – loved reading the ones you did so far!

11. valerie
    June 15, 2010 | 5:43 pm

That all sounds extremely productive….I like it! hummmm productive….productive…..that reminds me of something……oh yes! I need to get off this computer!!!!! 😉

12. Linda
    June 15, 2010 | 7:51 pm

Wow!!! I can`t believe you got all that work done-in the heat.You are one strong lady.Good thing you had a lot of helpers…I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

13. Young Wife
    June 15, 2010 | 9:45 pm

Sounds like you have a great friend and a great daughter! Praying for you as you are about to deliver.

14. Amanda
    June 15, 2010 | 11:50 pm

I wish you had more than 3 weeks so you can come knock out some of my list. My list keeps getting longer and nothing taken off it seems like. I’m 30 weeks today…so 7 more weeks to go and my list will still be full , I think. Any tips on how to do it alone with 2 kids under 5 a overworked husband , no family nearby and wait twins instead of a single in the belly growing ??? If you could add to your list. Email me once in a while and remind me to come here to get to amazon. I keep forgetting and most of the stuff I get is on there. I have to order some next week. Shoot me an email reminder , would love to let you make some off my order.

My sister and I were just talking about twins last night. We both have fairly tough pregnancies and can’t imagine doubling that.

Hoping that you feel well and get some more things done off of your list. I’ve been running a lot of contractions (it doesn’t necessarily mean anything) but it has motivated me to get more of the baby stuff ready.

15. chantelle
    June 16, 2010 | 7:52 am

I love your list, you have been able to cross off so much! I can’t believe you were able to finish the whole garage, wow!! That was such a blessing that your friend brought dinner over, that makes such a huge difference when you are trying to complete a big project. I am praying for you and your family. How exciting that you will be caring for a baby girl so soon. I did notice that you crossed off naming the baby. Is this a secret and to be announced? 🙂

Thank you for your prayers.

Yes, we’ll announce the baby’s name when she is born. There is always the possibility that things may still change. 🙂

16. Tisha
    June 16, 2010 | 8:45 am

Eeeek – just 3 weeks! Let’s do curtains next week so you can mark that off your list too.

It’s tough when you’re trying to get TWO pregnant ladies with energy at the same time. 😉

I’m hoping to finish up some decluttering and organizing downstairs this weekend, so maybe next week will work.