Flower Hair Clip Tutorial

I’m sure you’ve seen the little crocheted baby hats with huge flowers on them, so cute.  Since I love making baby hats I was on the look out for a way to inexpensively incorporate these huge flowers, different colors with different hats to match different outfits.

These inexpensive, easy to make flower hair clips fit the bill.

They are also great for the big girls to wear directly in their hair or use to spice up a head band.

Each flower clip cost me less than a dollar to make.  They would be less expensive if you chose smaller flowers.Supplies needed:

• a hot glue gun
  • alligator hair clips
  • scissors
  • silk flowers (I purchased mine at JoAnne’s when they had their spring flowers on clearance.)

1. Pull the flower off of the stem and then trim the little knobby part that sticks out of the back so that it is easy to remove the remaining flower parts.

2.  Pull off the small plastic backing that is keeping the silk petals in place.  (see it there above the flower?)

3. Remove all petals that are not firmly attached to the center and very front of the flower.The type of flower will determine how many of the petals you will remove.

4. Glue each layer of petals to the previous layer with the glue gun using the remainder of the ‘stem’ to line up each layer of petals.5. Trim any remaining stem so that it is flush with petals.

6. Glue clip to back of flower.I found this cheat to be helpful when I hot glued the clip onto the back so that the clip didn’t glue itself closed.

7. Enjoy!

For more tutorials including beaded bobby pins , a fancy ponytail hand-dyed playsilks and more visit my tutorial page.

Share on Facebook18Pin on Pinterest253Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

12 Responses to Flower Hair Clip Tutorial
  1. Eowyn
    July 1, 2010 | 9:05 am

that is really neat! I just might try it!

2. Kimarie
    July 1, 2010 | 9:06 am

This looks so easy, Kimberly! Thanks for the great tutorial.

3. melinda
    July 1, 2010 | 11:06 am

THese are so easy to make, and fun for the kids!! One trick I use for in between the clip while drying, is wax paper. I just rip off a sheet, and usually fold it in half. Then I can clip several to it. Once dried they come off. If any sticks it’s not hard to pull it off!!

Thanks, that sounds better than my glue stick solution. :)

4. chantelle
    July 1, 2010 | 2:26 pm

Really sweet, love them! O.k., any regular contractions??

Not. a. thing.

Little one is now transverse, so not even any pressure to encourage the cervix to open.

I’m thinking we’ll make it to July 6. That’s not all bad. My parents will be down here ready to watch the other kids and my bag will be all packed and it IS only 5 more days.

5. Christy
    July 1, 2010 | 2:33 pm

Thank you so much! I bought these on etsy, not knowing how simple they were! Now I know! :) Now I need to get better at the ribbon ones. Do you have a tutorial on that too? :) :)

Hmmm, love the ribbon ones, now you have me thinking….

6. Alicia
    July 1, 2010 | 6:00 pm

I’d be interested in an update on this in the future. To me it seems like hot glue is useless. Use it in the heat and it melts and falls apart. Use it in the cool and it gets stiff and falls apart. I’d love to hear how these hold up!

7. Tisha
    July 6, 2010 | 2:36 pm

We’ve made lots of flower clips like this and they all have held up very well – we’ve had some for two years now. If you don’t like gluing your flower layers together, you can buy rhinestone or other decorative brads in the scrapbooking section at your craft store. Then just pull out the entire center of the flower and replace it with a brad. I still use hot glue to attach them to the clip though.

8. Pat
    September 16, 2010 | 4:20 pm

Thanks for the great article! We bought some really nice flower clip headbands at Baby Bella Bows. Didn’t think they were too expensive, but this gives me hope to experiment on my own!

9. Nikki
    February 16, 2011 | 11:26 am

I knew you had this post! I was searching and searching, I just know she did a post on flower clips, now where is it?

I finally got all the supplies and I’m ready to try it!