Homemade Doughnut Recipe

A perfect hands-on project for anyone reading ‘Homer Price‘, making doughnuts is fun, messy and results in a delicious treat.  As a matter of fact this recipe is so wonderful, you should read ‘Homer Price’ to your children, just so you have an excuse to make these doughnuts.

Our children have had beautiful results with this recipe.

Crispy-Creamy Doughnuts

• 4 envelopes active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 3 cups lukewarm milk
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 10 cups all-purpose flour
  • 8 cups peanut oil (or veg oil) for frying

Glaze

• 2/3 butter
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 TBL vanilla
  • 1/2 cup hot water (as needed)

Instructions:

1. Mix yeast with warm water and let rest for 5 minutes or until foamy.
  2. Mix together yeast mixture, milk sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 4 cups of flour. Stir with a wooden spoon for several minutes then add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough no longer sticks to bowl.
  3. Knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
  4. Place dough in greased bowl and let rise until double.  Dough is ready if you touch it and the indentation remains.
  5. Turn dough onto floured surface and roll out to 1/2 inch thick.  Cut doughnuts. (We use a coffee cup with a large rim and the cap of a spice container.)
  6. Grease a tray and allow cut doughnuts to rise, covered, on tray until double.
  7. Make glaze by melting butter in saucepan.
  8. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat.
  9. Stir in hot water one tablespoon at a time until icing is thin, but not watery.
  10. Heat oil in deep-fryer or large skillet.  Slide doughnuts into hot oil.  Turn as they rise to the surface.  Fry on each side until they are golden brown.
  11. Remove from oil and drain on a wire rack.
  12. Dip doughnuts in glaze while still hot and set on wire racks to cool.

Eat and enjoy with your kids!

Facebook36Pinterest0EmailTwitter0

24 Responses to Homemade Doughnut Recipe
  1. Jessica
    August 17, 2010 | 10:58 am

My stomach just growled and my mouth started watering!

2. Shauna
    August 17, 2010 | 11:36 am

How fun! We just read “Homer Price” a few days ago and my girls were marveling at the doughnuts! We will have to try to make them when we return to the states. Thanks for sharing the recipe. From the picture, they look mouth-watering good!

3. Rachel
    August 17, 2010 | 12:52 pm

Oh, those look incredibly yummy! Definitely on my to-do list!

4. Brandy Knopp
    August 17, 2010 | 1:15 pm

The kids and I are in the middle of Homer Price right now! How exciting. I think we will try this! THANK YOU!

5. Bekki
    August 17, 2010 | 2:15 pm

We read that a few months ago. My children loved it! I might have to try these, after canning season next month!

6. valerie
    August 17, 2010 | 2:19 pm

*drooooool*

7. ali @ an ordinary mom
    August 17, 2010 | 2:57 pm

Doughnuts are something we have never made around here! We may have to get brave and give it a try soon :-)

8. Alice
    August 17, 2010 | 3:37 pm

I am so glad you posted this recipe. My large family would make these on Saturday morning for taking right on into the field we were working in for the day. I can smell them now and can hardly wait to make them. Thanks!

9. Joyce
    August 17, 2010 | 4:42 pm

Having never seen an envelope of yeast, I have no idea how much yeast is contained in one (I buy yeast by the jar and all my recipes tell me in teaspoons how much to use). How much yeast (in teaspoons please) does this recipe need?

Jenn Reply:

2 1/4 tsp, I think.

Debra L. Reply:

That’s 2 1/4 tsp per package of yeast.

10. pam
    August 17, 2010 | 5:55 pm

these are the days that I wish we had a deep fryer

11. Nikki
    August 17, 2010 | 7:34 pm

We read “Homer Price” a couple of years ago and this would be a perfect fun project to go along with that book. We’re not planning on reading it again this year, but we might have to plan to make these donuts together! They look great! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

12. Debra L.
    August 18, 2010 | 10:26 am

That’s 2 1/4 tsp per package.

Debra L. Reply:

This post should have been a response to the question above. Oops! Ignore me please. :^)

13. Stephanie R
    August 18, 2010 | 2:08 pm

I seen this recipe this morning and went straight to the kitchen to start making them. The dough is rising now, can’t wait to try them. I told my husband I would send some to work with him tomorrow for his coworkers and some friends are already asking for some :)

14. Jennifer Jordan
    September 15, 2010 | 12:33 am

We checked Homer Price out at the library and read the doughnut chapter. What a great story…looking forward to reading the rest of the book, too! We made doughnuts the next day and they were so yummy! Thanks for postng this. :0)

I blogged about it here if you want to read it: http://thejordanacademy.blogspot.com/

15. Jenny
    September 21, 2010 | 3:50 pm

I’ll have to check out Homer Price never heard of it! My kids would LOVE to make these!

16. Stephanie
    September 21, 2010 | 3:54 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe. i have been making these for church and everyone loves them. I baked then last time and they turned out just as good. Thank you!

17. Deirdre
    February 13, 2011 | 9:48 pm

I made about 100 of these this wkend. Some b/c we are reading Homer Price (my family ate over 25 in 24 hrs!) and some for Sunday School snack. They were a huge hit. My pastor’s wife told me that if we were not both married that I’d be her sweetheart. (Then I pointed out that neither of us approve of same sex marriage!) Anyhow, they are a definite do again! Thanks for the recipe!

18. Deirdre
    February 13, 2011 | 9:49 pm

I forgot to mention that I have NEVER made doughnuts before and they came out great! I don’t own shortening so I used butter instead and I only had instant yeast instead of active dry.

19. Michelle
    June 23, 2011 | 5:28 pm

Have you ever tried freezing these in the dough state? before cooking & glazing them.

No, we’ve never tried freezing them. If you do, let us know how it turns out!

20. Kelly
    October 6, 2011 | 12:21 pm

We just made and ate your donuts. So delicious!

Thank you for taking the time to make and keep this site! I just found it two days ago. We immediately began conquering the laundry! I love, love, love your site. What an encouragement!

Blessings!