Little Kids and Bed Making

This Thursday the 4 Moms, 35 Kids open house area will be the bedrooms (don’t forget to be ready to link up).  Here is a tip to help the children manage their own bedrooms by making their own beds.

Making a bed neatly can be a difficult task for little kids.  When our children were all young we hit upon an idea that made it easier for them to make their beds. We did NOT put on any top sheet on their bed.  Each child’s bed had a mattress pad, a fitted sheet and a comforter.   At the end of the bed (or in the closet) each child had a child-sized blanket.

When it is nap or night time the kids fold down the comforter and sleep on the fitted sheet using their child-sized blanket as a covering.   In the winter we pull the comforter over them for some extra warmth.

This post is linked to Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest8Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

21 Responses to Little Kids and Bed Making
  1. Kathi
    August 24, 2010 | 8:38 am

What a GREAT idea! That top sheet is always crumpled at their feet!

*I love the shelves by the bed…another great idea!

I won’t be linking up, taking a little break from the little blog, but look forward to more from 4 Moms though!

2. Jessica
    August 24, 2010 | 8:51 am

That works for grown-ups too! My hubs and I have never liked top sheets. We use one light weight comforter and one heavy quilt.

3. Kate
    August 24, 2010 | 8:57 am

I do that, too. It’s still tough for them to make the top bunk, though. Andy helpful hints for that?

I don’t really have any helpful hints for making that top bunk. Since we have VERY heavy sleepers and I’m afraid of them falling out of bed, we don’t put kids in the top bunks until they are a bit older (9-11 or so), so maybe we haven’t run into that as much.

4. Nicki
    August 24, 2010 | 9:02 am

We do that, too, and in the summer we just pull out the top sheet and use it as a blanket, then put it away in the daytime. In winter, I make sure they are dressed nice and warm for bed, and give them a heavier blanket.

5. pam
    August 24, 2010 | 9:19 am

I love that idea, you always make me feel so normal because guess what I do not put flat sheets on our kids beds either. It just makes things easier for them. it is harder for my 7 year old because her bunk bed is a full size. I love your shelves. I really need to check into the pricing for them

6. Annie @ Beauty In The Surrender
    August 24, 2010 | 9:20 am

I have one child who has caught on to the fact that if he sleeps on top of his bed with a blanket, he will rarely have to make his bed. My daughter on the other hand likes to sleep cocooned in the sheets and comforter even if it’s 80 and muggy outside. She will sweat do death but she wants those covers.
    I like the idea of no sheet, just the fitted sheet and comforter. I am headed to the kids rooms today to take them off! ☺ Thanks!

7. Erin
    August 24, 2010 | 9:44 am

That’s exactly what we do!! We sort of stumbled into it by accident, because none of my children like having a top sheet. But it works great!

8. Kimarie
    August 24, 2010 | 11:46 am

We do the same here! ;-)

9. L2L
    August 24, 2010 | 12:07 pm

I have found a good use for those flat sheets!!! I use them as the middle part for my baby blankets and will use it for the summer quilts I’m going to make for the boys for their bunk beds… since they have a hard time pushing their blankets between the bed frame and wall I’ve decided to make a blanket that fits just the top parts of their beds with no hangover. I’ve found that flat sheets don’t retain as much odor as the store bought batting. Yeah my two boys really smell, lol!!!

10. Shawna
    August 24, 2010 | 12:09 pm

That’s a great idea! My girls do have a hard time with that sheet, and my oldest doesn’t even like to have it pulled up when she is sleeping.

11. Courtney
    August 24, 2010 | 12:14 pm

That’s how we do it and it’s wonderful!

12. Gayle White
    August 24, 2010 | 12:52 pm

Sounds like most of us don’t use a top sheet. So much easier, isn’t it? We go one step further…we don’t make the beds. I never fully understood the purpose of that when you’re going to get right back in it that night. LOL :)

13. D Martin
    August 24, 2010 | 1:00 pm

I spent a semester studying in Scotland. I followed it with a summer spent backpacking across Europe with my little brother. There were a few weeks between his arrival and the closing of the university halls (dorms). A family from the church I had been attending took me in during the interim, and I found that they had never heard (!!!) of top sheets! Over there they just use the fitted sheets and a duvet. (Which incidentally is really good at hiding an unevenness in the sheets underneath.) If I remember correctly, the duvets were generally in a cover, so those could be easily washed when desired.

I found it mind opening, realizing that some ‘basic’ things aren’t so ‘basic’ after all!

Carm Reply:

Using a duvet and cover are the perfect solution. During the hot summer months, take the duvet out and just use the cover as a sheet.

14. Sarah
    August 24, 2010 | 2:15 pm

I read this and wondered what I was missing! D Martin’s comment explains it all, and why I never understood the household section of Landsend.
    We are in the UK and in common with most people, use a bottom sheet (can be fitted or flat)and a duvet. The duvet is always in a cover, usually cotton so it can be washed easily. It makes bedmaking very simple although putting the duvet cover on the duvet would be too difficult for young children.
    Sorry to be really thick but is a comforter a light weight quilt?

D Martin Reply:

I think I would say that a comforter is closer to a duvet. I think of it as thinner, but heavier, and not as high quality– polyester stuffing, whereas I think of a duvet as being down and fluffier.

15. Alice
    August 24, 2010 | 4:52 pm

I was about to comment to say, “People use another sheet on TOP of a sheet that’s fitted to the mattress?!” when I saw D Martin and Sarah’s comments, lol! I’m in the UK too and really do not understand top sheets! I think they make sense in the days when beds were (are?!) made up with blankets because you would need a sheet between you and the blanket for comfort and for keeping the blanket clean since they are not laundered so regularly. Duvets are wonderful inventions, and I have never known anything else. Duvet covers are basically a “sheet” covering that encases the warm covering (duvet), which is taken off and washed whenever the undersheet is changed. I imagine a sheet would just bunch up and be uncomfortable and drive me crazy during the night time! I also can’t think of an easier task for a small child than pulling a duvet straight on the bed and that’s it – job done! They don’t tuck in or generally have much of an overhang, and they are not really made to be smoothly stretched out for neatness.

16. Meagan
    August 24, 2010 | 5:25 pm

LOL. We use the ‘no top sheet idea’ on the kid’s beds too. Unless it is summer, then they use a sheet and have the blanket only cause it is their security item.

In the US, the beds are made typically with a Mattress pad, a bottom fitted sheet, a flat sheet (which supposed to be wrinkle free and tucked in on three of four sides when the bed is made) and a quilt or comforter (which is basically a duvet without the covering). In some higher end hotels, there are even more sheets on the beds- fitted, flat, blanket, flat, comforter. I had to do it when I worked at the hotel in housekeeping. Then there was also the double pillowcases… one waterproof zippered, then a regular one.

I find though without the top sheet, the bed just kind of always looks put together, so I don’t worry about it nearly as much. We do the pillow case thing though cause it keeps pillows from getting ruined when a kid is potty training or a diaper leaks.

17. Heather
    August 24, 2010 | 7:47 pm

THANK YOU for posting this ! This is one that I’ve been trying to figure out a solution to for the last couple of years; super helpful…you are such a blessing for sharing these things ~

18. Dawna
    August 25, 2010 | 10:17 am

We do the same with our kiddos beds. Makes life easier for everyone and much less frustration for little ones who want to make their beds nice and tidy like Mommas. :)