4 Moms Open House Bedrooms Part 2

Welcome to the 4 Moms, 35 Kids open house.  Please visit other open house posts and link up at the bottom of this post

Last week we looked at the boy’s and the little girl’s bedrooms.   This week we’ll peek into our big girl’s room and the master bedroom.

Master Bedroom

Our master bedroom is large and has two big closets which means we store a lot of things in our bedroom.  Since the 4 Moms have an upcoming post about storage solutions and our master bedroom is one of the storage areas in our home, I may talk a bit more about this later.

Our bedroom window is waiting for me to find the perfect window treatment, preferrably at a yard sale.  Any ideas about what I  should be looking for?

We have not had a bassinet with our other children (we’ve used a pack n play), but Bella and I are testing this one for Kolcraft and I’m loving the extra space that it gives us beside the bed.  I can actually get to my desk now without crawling around/over the pack and play.

The desk in the corner is where I can, in theory, work quietly in the evenings.  The reality is that it’s a dumping ground for all the things that need my attention or that don’t have homes so it’s always piled with stuff because I’m a master procrastinator when it comes to paper work (and many other things).

One of the tricks that I’ve learned to keep things looking tidy  is to use containers.   I use these small plates (yard sale find for $.50 each) on my dresser to corral loose change and jewelry that I’m in too much of a hurry to put in it’s actual home.

The easel stands there as a testimony to my lack of time (or motivation and discipline).  It’s right  in the way, but I leave it there with the hope that I will finally  finish that drawing.  *sigh*

I recently cleared off one of these shelves to use for lost and found, things that belong to others and have inadvertently been left at our home.

We used to keep our ‘lost and found’  in the entryway so that we would remember to take things back to their rightful owners, but we never remembered and it cluttered up our entry/living room.  Now our lost and found is out of the way and that shelf is right above where we keep the diaper bag  (which we almost always remember) and so we are better at returning things to our guests.

On these shelves we have most of our knitting books, my current knitting project and our stash of  Homeschooling Today.   I enjoy coming here during rest time and just being quiet.  It does happen…… occasionally.  It’s also a wonderful spot for a quiet conversation or snuggle with one or more of the children.

One of the ways I try to keep our bedrooms tidy is to have hooks available for items that are frequently used.  Here I have some of my essentials.

My purse, an apron, workout clothes and our Moby, what more can mom want?  Seriously, I use these hooks constantly!!  Sometimes I even leave some space for Mark.

Big girl’s room

Home to our 13, 12 and 10 year old girls

We just moved children into this room and it is under construction so there is not much to see. We are taking down one of the walls in this room and opening it up to the adjoining room.  The girls have big plans for a sewing area in their new room.

Currently the room is wall-to-wall beds

and a full closet.We don’t have a solid plan for this room yet.  The adjacent room has tile floor, stucco walls, no windows and is depressing.  We’ve used it for our book cases, but other than that it’s just been wasted space.  So we decided to turn it all into one bedroom.  The book cases will stay, but the space will be better used by our kids.

Eventually the plan is to make this the boy’s bedroom since the nearby bathroom is small and then use the two upstairs bedrooms for our girls.  Of course all of this is if we don’t decide to look for a home that has some property.

Raising Olives open house:

Visit the other 4 Moms to see their open house post:

Connie @ Smockity Frocks
DH @ The Common Room
KimC @ Life in a Shoe

Please join the open house by linking up your post below and your link will appear on all of the 4 Moms blogs. Be sure to link directly to your post (not to your homepage) and link back to one of the 4 Moms blogs so that your readers can join in.

Mister
Linky’s Magical Widgets — Easy-Linky widget will appear right
here!

This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed
on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section
of the post.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest8Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

18 Responses to 4 Moms Open House Bedrooms Part 2
  1. Lisa~
    September 2, 2010 | 9:32 am

Love it! Your bedroom is lovely. You should look at Tuesday Morning for curtains. I got mine there really cheap. If you hung them from the ceiling and about 18″ out on either side it would make your window and bedroom look bigger.

I love the hooks and the lost and found. I keep a lost and found box in my van so it’s always with me when I see the people to whom the stuff belongs. :) Great post. Thanks for showing us! Lisa~

We’ve kept lost and found in a box in the van, but my kids kill anything that lives in the van (except the one box that we can fit under the front seat) so we now keep things in the house until we are ready to return it. :)

Thanks for the Tuesday Morning tip. I had not thought of that.

2. Celee
    September 2, 2010 | 11:55 am

We love our house so much, but are also constantly talking about getting a little land. My husband dreams of having goats, but around here most land comes without trees and he hates to leave the few we’ve labored over for so many years!

I found the same thing with my desk. I never really used it. By the time I make it into my bedroom at night, I collapse. If anything, I read for a few minutes. I moved my bedroom desk out of our room last week and into our front living room. I didn’t think it would fit, but it does and I love it! It’s much more useful there and freed up space in our room.

Celee

3. Elizabeth
    September 2, 2010 | 12:40 pm

You girls must be so excited about their new under construction room! I love having extra space to play with and come up with new solutions. Thanks for the peek! By the way I really like the blue of your room.

4. Shannon
    September 2, 2010 | 2:40 pm

Really pretty room. I love the blue. Your room must be so calming.The hooks are such a great idea.

5. […] The Children’s Bedrooms Our friends from 4 Moms and 35 Kids are showing off their children’s bedrooms today.  People are always concerned when they find out that such a large family has only two children’s bedrooms.  If that worries you, be sure to check out how Kim C. at Life In a Shoe makes use of one bedroom for her children!  You can see more bedrooms at Smockity Frocks, or Rasing Olives. […]

6. Jenny
    September 2, 2010 | 6:57 pm

Your Master BR is really nice, blah, blah blah… THAT DRAWING IS INCREDIBLE! Wow… What a gift you have! Please do take time to finish that. It is so wonderful :) And post a pic of it when you do finish!!! I would love to be blessed with a gift like that!

Your comment made me laugh, such a funny way to say that. Thank you.

I do plan on finishing that drawing, as a matter of fact if Bella will be happy for a while I hope to work some on it today. Posting about it inspired me.

7. L2L
    September 2, 2010 | 6:58 pm

So, I’ve got to ask, what is the white bench used for? I love how the bed fits so nicely under the window. And as far as window treatment, I would say either a valance or if you keep those blinds up all the time, I would take them down and put up a tension rod at the midway point, where the window is divide into two frames and have your valance hang from that height, that way you have privacy but you can also enjoy the natural light. I have often used sheets for curtains/valances and if it it pure decoration maybe a lace table cloth draped over a tension rod or curtain rod would look nice, or you could use the clip hanging hooks and hang up the lace that way as well. Hope that gives you a spark of inspiration!!!

I actually put the bench there because there was so much empty space in our room.

It does come in handy when the kids come in to talk or when Mark or I are getting our shoes on. It also makes a wonderful place for clean laundry to reside until we put it away.

I’m always open to decorating suggestions. What should I do with that space?

8. Tracy
    September 2, 2010 | 8:05 pm

Your master bedroom is beautiful…..the floor color next to the blue and white is elegant! So I have to ask too, what is the bench used for? Does it stay all the time??

Thanks, I love the colors in our bedroom also.

The bench does stay there all the time. I responded to L2L about what it is for. (the comment just above yours)

9. Renata
    September 3, 2010 | 6:40 am

Your room is lovely!! I love the colour you painted it – very relaxing & welcoming.
    I was going to ask what the bench was for as well?
    You are a very talented artist – I hope you do get the chance to finish this picture & show us – have you done any others?
    Have a lovely day
    Renata:)

Be sure to see my comments about the bench above. :)

Thank you. I find that drawing uses a part of my brain that I don’t use during the regular routine of my day. It’s so refreshing to spend time drawing.

I have finished several pencil portraits and one pastel painting. We have several displayed around our home. I hope that one day all of the artwork on our walls will have been created by our family. Someday.

10. Carm
    September 5, 2010 | 12:14 am

In the master bedroom, ceiling to floor white cotton curtains would like awesome, and give the appearance of a higher ceiling. Can you tell I love to watch HGTV/design shows.

11. Mrs. White
    September 7, 2010 | 8:27 am

I love seeing pictures of your home. It looks so inviting!

Hope all is well, and blessing to you!

Mrs. White

12. […] Bedrooms (big girl’s room and master bedroom) […]

13. […] and dining room and the school/living areas.  This week we’ll peak into some of our bedrooms (more bedrooms next week) and you’ll have the opportunity to link up your bedroom tour […]