bed wetters, boys
and a world class spitter (2 month old Isabella), our laundry seems never-ending. Add to that cloth napkins, cleaning cloths and sometimes cloth diapers and it is not uncommon for me to do 3-4 loads of laundry during the day and still not get through it all.
This is what our laundry area looks like before breakfast every morning.
I consider this basically caught up. There is a hamper for dirty laundry in each of the bedrooms that you can’t see, this is only today’s laundry and by the time I took this picture I’d already started two loads, so both the washer and the dryer are running. The laundry on the table is the boy’s clean laundry that they left unfolded from yesterday.
Yes this is what I’m faced with this every single morning (and because of what it represents, I wouldn’t trade it for the world).
Since this is all there is to our laundry area and you’ve seen it before. I thought I’d share some laundry management tips and ideas and a few links from my series of posts on laundry management.
- Choose a laundry system. (We are still using the room laundry system, but considering switching to one of the others listed.)
- Make your own laundry detergent.
- Consider a family closet.
- Set some clothing limits.
- Minimize what you need to wash.
- Use Dawn to remove grease stains, even old ones that have already gone through the washer and dryer.
- Pre-treat stains and teach your children to do the same.
- Make sure that everyone who may touch or move laundry knows the system. I can’t tell you how many loads of clean wash we’ve re-washed because someone moved them into a dirty laundry pile, added dirty laundry to them or in a gesture of pity for their poor-more-behind-on-the-laundry-more-than-usual momma threw them into the washer. That’s not considering the dirty laundry that may have been folded and put away.
- Make folding laundry fun. When we have marathon laundry days, we will all race to see how fast we can fold and put away each load as it comes out of the dryer. At other times the children fold while I read aloud.
Now it’s your turn. How do you manage laundry in your home? Write a post and link up here or leave your best laundry hints and tips in the comments.
Raising Olives open house:
- Living area and school room
- Kitchen and dining area
- Bedrooms – boy’s room and little girl’s room
- Bedrooms – Master bedroom and big girl’s room
Upcoming 4 Moms topics:
- September 16: Storage Solutions **LINKY**
- September 23: Questions for the Four Moms. Feel free to use the contact form and email questions you’d like me to answer.
- September 30: How we find individual time with our husbands without spending money