Homemade Salsa

This is a salsa recipe that my husband waited for for nearly 5 years.  Now he makes (and we consume) it by the quart .   It’s easy, inexpensive and delicious!

Homemade Salsa

• 44 oz. whole canned tomatoes
  • 4 green onions
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1/3 – 1/2 bunch cilantro
  • 1 Jalapeno
  • 1 tsp. chipolte powder

Roast the Jalapeno in oven then skin.  Place all of the ingredients in a food processor  and blend.  Add salt to taste.   Add extra Jalapeno (we generally use 3) and/or chipolte powder as desired.

Some members of our family eat this salsa with eggs, beans, chips,  sandwiches, Mexican food or anything that they think could use an extra kick.  I’ve even seen some people eating this by the spoonful.

Share on Facebook11Pin on Pinterest16Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

14 Responses to Homemade Salsa
  1. Heather
    September 14, 2010 | 9:12 am

Sounds good!

2. Michele
    September 14, 2010 | 12:09 pm

I’m still pretty new to your (and the other moms of many) blog, but I’m enjoying them all!

We love to make salsa with the surplus of tomatoes from our garden. This recipe is a great idea for the winter when I don’t have fresh tomatoes. I’m definitely going to be trying this. Thanks!

3. Jenny
    September 14, 2010 | 1:50 pm

I made my home made restaraunt style salsa about an hour ago and was pleased to see your post on salsa! I do a similar recipe for salsa. I use a can of diced tomatoes, chopped onion, cilantro, jalapenos, garlic powder and salt! It’s sooo much better than the store bought ones, not to mention how overpriced they are! I’ve tried many recipes but this way is the most affordable, and simplest way I have found!

4. Sara at Saving For Someday
    September 14, 2010 | 2:01 pm

This sounds so delicious! My daughter would eat salsa with a spoon. I’ll have to give this a try.

5. Emmy Jones
    September 14, 2010 | 2:15 pm

Sounds YUMMY!!
    We make our own salsa and consume it by the gallon as well. 🙂 🙂

Our recipe sounds identical to Jenny’s (above).
    I will have to keep an eye out for the chipotle powder…I am a sucker for salsa.

🙂

6. Lynnea Williams
    September 14, 2010 | 9:28 pm

sounds yummy

7. Cindy in GA
    September 14, 2010 | 9:30 pm

Homemade salsa is always quickly devoured here; we all love it! I’ve never tried roasting jalapenos – that sounds downright yummy. I love fresh lime juice in salsa, too. If only cilantro would last longer in the frig, we’d have salsa more often.

Miranda Reply:

I have purchased both cilantro paste and freeze dried cilantro in the produce section, near the really expesive juices.

8. Deirdre
    September 14, 2010 | 10:58 pm

Thanks for the recipe. Where do you buy the chipolte powder? -Because I need some!

9. Suzanne @ The Joyful Chaos
    September 14, 2010 | 11:04 pm

We’ve been known to eat our salsa with a spoon when we start running out of normal sized chips – we crumble them in the salsa and eat it like soup with crackers!

10. Tati
    September 15, 2010 | 11:34 am

Great Salsa recipe, also I love your blog!
    Tati

11. Pam
    September 15, 2010 | 6:20 pm

My family loves salsa too. Thanks for the recipe. I really like your blog and am passing on an Award I recently received. It is the “One Lovely Blog Award”. Thanks for such a nice blog!
    Pam

12. Jeri Graybill
    September 17, 2010 | 12:54 pm

Thanks for the salsa ideas. If you’re like me and try not to go to the grocery store any more than you have to, you may want to try freezing chips to have on hand. This works well for up to 2-3 months or so in air-tight bags. I like to buy a big bag of tortilla chips from Costco and divide it up into the gallon-size Zip-locs.
    I wonder if cilantro could freeze well, since it doesn’t last long. It “bolts” in the garden so early. It hadn’t occurred to me to try it before now.

13. Tracee
    September 20, 2010 | 7:14 am

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I have given you the Versatile Blogging Award on my blog. A Versatile Blogger brings everything to the table: good writing, good stories, a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I hope you will accept my award by visiting my blog and “picking it up.” Then you can pass it on to your favorite bloggers, too. It’s a great way to find and share new blogs. Have a great day! Here is the link: