As a homeschooling mom I’m always on the look out for fun, challenging games that encourage thinking and reasoning skills. As a mom who loves to spend time with my kids I love to find games that are fun for both children and adults. Mastermind does both. It was also one of my favorite games when I was a kid.
Mastermind requires and hones deductive reasoning and logic skills. As a child it was one of my favorite games to play with my father. I loved being able to solve my father’s patterns and Mastermind was a game that my father truly enjoyed. I remember waiting to take my turn as all of us children would play Mastermind tournaments with dad.
The game pits a code maker against a code breaker. The ‘maker’ selects a pattern of colored pegs, then the ‘breaker’ tries to guess the pattern. After each guess the ‘maker’ scores the guess which provides the ‘breaker’ with information about the true pattern. Play continues until the ‘breaker’ is able to deduct the true pattern based on the information provided by his previous guesses and scores.
Players take turns being the maker and the breaker and the player who is able to guess the code in the least amount of turns is declared the winner. Of course our children love challenging each other to games of Mastermind (otherwise I wouldn’t be telling you about it), but it’s also a game that both Mark and I enjoy playing with our children as well as with each other.
Mastermind is a 2-player game designed for ages 8 and up, although our younger children do a fine job at being code breakers. The Attaché edition of Mastermind (shown) is terrific for travel. It comes in a zippered case with built-in, covered storage for all the game pieces.
There are several editions of Mastermind available on the website. They range in price from $9 – $18.99.
Three (3) Raising Olives readers will win their own Mastermind Attaché edition.
- Visit the Mastermind website, then come back here and tell me something you learned. I’d also love to know if you’ve ever played Mastermind.
Additional entries: (Please leave an additional comment for each extra entry)
- Follow Mastermind on Twitter @MastermindGame
- Tweet about this giveaway. Please copy and paste the following: I entered to win one of three @Mastermindgame from @RaisingOlives You can enter here: http://bit.ly/c3jIzO
- Post about this giveaway on Facebook
- Post about this giveaway on your blog
- Guess who is the reigning Mastermind champion in our home. (Solved in just two guesses. Choices are Me, Mark, Amber , Kaitlin , Matthew , Alyssa , Carter , Sadie  or Savannah )
Giveaway will end at 11:59pm on Thursday, September 23 and is open to US residents only.
G.S. Schwartz & Co. Inc. gave our family an Attaché edition of Mastermind to facilitate this review and will be providing games for all winners. All opinions are my own and I was not otherwise compensated for this review.
This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to Cindy, Stephanie and Melissa.
The Mastermind champion in our house is 9 year old Alyssa who solved Matthew’s puzzle in two guesses.