4 Moms: Breakfast Recipes

This week 4 Moms are talking breakfast and sharing some of our favorite recipes.  Please link up your favorite breakfast recipes at the bottom of this post and you’ll be featured on all of the 4 Moms blogs.  Be sure to visit the other moms of many to see what they have to say Connie, KimC and Deputy Headmistress.

Me? I love mornings and breakfast is one of my most happy times.

Our family enjoys getting up and going early, so by the time breakfast rolls around we are all hungry and ready for a little break.  We lean toward having a warm, more hearty meal in the morning and enjoy spending some time together relaxing and preparing for the day ahead.

We schedule a full hour for breakfast each morning to visit and look forward to the day ahead.  In addition to eating we go over our memorization box and Mark (if he’s home) reads a devotional book and a Proverb.  Then we sit around the table, drink tea and visit.   The younger ones will crawl up into laps of a willing parent or older sibling  and garner some extra snuggle time out of the deal.

When all of our children were younger and didn’t have as much to say we enjoyed singing and reading aloud around the breakfast table.  We still occasionally make time for singing, but we have a chatty crew now that we’re heading into the teen years and no longer read aloud.

Our time at breakfast gives us the opportunity to enjoy being together as a family before the busyness of the day really begins and starts us off on the right foot with a time of enjoyment and fellowship with those whom God has given as our closest companions at this time in our lives.

Here are a couple of our favorite breakfast recipes:

Dutch Puff

Click title for recipe.

Baked French Toast

Ingredients:

10 slices of bread
1 1/2 c milk
4 eggs
1/3 c honey
1 t vanilla
3/4 t cinnamon

Directions:

Mix all ingredients except bread. Put a layer of bread in a greased 9 x 13.  Then pour in some of the wet mixture.  Repeat.  Cover and place in the refrigerator over night.   Bake at 350 degrees for ~ 40 minutes.  Top with maple syrup, fruit, honey, molasses, etc.

Baked Oatmeal

Thanks to my friend Jama for sharing this recipe with me years ago.  It’s one of our favorites!

Ingredients:

3 cups rolled oats
1/4-1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter (or applesauce)
2 eggs

Directions:

Mix together all ingredients and pour into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish. (We usually mix this up and put it in the fridge overnight.)  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.  Serve warm with milk.

We double this recipe for our family and put it into two 8 x 8 serving dishes rather than one larger dish so that it will still cook within 40 minutes.

You may be interested in seeing one of our past breakfast menu plans.

Now it’s your turn, share some of your quickest, easiest or yummiest breakfast recipes or ideas.  Please link directly to your breakfast post (not to your home page) and link back to at least one of the 4 Moms blogs in your post.

Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets — Easy-Linky
widget will appear right here!

This preview will disappear when
the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML
mode to edit this section of the post.

Share on Facebook5Pin on Pinterest18Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

16 Responses to 4 Moms: Breakfast Recipes
  1. Kimarie @ The Cardamom's Pod
    October 14, 2010 | 8:02 am

I love your description of the family time at breakfast. We’re tweaking our schedule to have a bit more chores done before breakfast, so this might work for us, too. Right now the meal we spend more time at is dinner.

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kimberly , Kimarie. Kimarie said: RT @RaisingOlives: Link up your best breakfast ideas, tips or recipes http://tinyurl.com/2fjcvwq […]

3. The Happy Housewife
    October 14, 2010 | 9:49 am

You are such an early bird! I am still trying to get up before seven and by then you have lived half a day! I love baked French toast, I’m going to have to try your recipe.

Toni

4. Jennifer
    October 14, 2010 | 11:10 am

Dutch Puff is always a hit around here!

5. Erica Hale
    October 14, 2010 | 12:44 pm

Yea! I am in great need of breakfast ideas, so this is timely. Thanks!

6. Jarnette @ Seasons of Life
    October 14, 2010 | 1:43 pm

Wow…all three items sound delicious and ones we’ll have to give a try. I went to your Dutch Puff post and read a comment about using them for making chicken salad sandwiches…a dallop on the baking dish, pop, cool and then fill with chicken salad. Did you ever try that? Sounds like a nice tea sandwich. Thanks for sharing the great recipes and for the four of you hosting this week’s post.

Blessings ~

I’ve not tried that. Thank you for reminding me because the girls would LOVE to use that for their tea party sometime.

7. Megan
    October 14, 2010 | 10:49 pm

We will definitely have to try out these recipes b/c breakfast is our favorite meal! We often have breakfast for dinner at our house.

A favorite of ours (although a little time consuming, but it can be made the night before & kept in the fridge) is breakfast pizza! Our standard pizza dough crust, white sauce (butter, flour, milk), scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, cheddar & mozzarella, optional green peppers or jalapenos.

I posted the link for a recipe I found for a quicker breakfast pizza ( http://devinandmegan.blogspot.com/2010/09/yum.html ).

A family tradition (on my husband’s side) for holiday breakfasts is creamed eggs on toast.
    I was skeptical at first but it’s so good! White sauce (butter, flour, milk) saute until medium thick, add diced hard boiled eggs & heat through. Serve egg mixture on buttered toast w/ bacon & orange juice.

We love breakfast! 🙂
    Great post this week! Thanks!

8. Amy W.
    October 16, 2010 | 4:53 pm

I love breakfast time too and I enjoy making a hot breakfast each morning, well a hot breakfast for the mornings my husband will be home to eat with us and then we reheat the leftovers for the mornings when it is just me and the kids. My toddler especially loves dutch puff, and I do too! We also enjoy baked oatmeal, homemade waffles (freeze well and easy to reheat in the toaster), and this breakfast cake:

And sometimes we simply have buttered toast. We usually have eggs with breakfast each day as well.

I really like how you schedule an hour for breakfast, it must be such a special time for your family and I can see how it would make a great start to the day to spend that time having fellowship together. I would love to do something similar, today when I was done with my lunch I brought in a book to read to the boys as I could see that my toddler was still going to be awhile with his lunch and there wouldn’t be much time to read afterward (before nap time). He loves being read to, but the baby- almost 1- does not like to sit in his seat if he is done eating and gets tired of the exersaucer really quickly. He was fussing for awhile when I was reading so it was kind of distracting. I wonder if you have ever dealt with a similar thing when your children were young and they just wanted to be done with the breakfast hour 🙂 If so, how have you handled it?

Amy

Great question Amy. Since our children have always been accustomed to sitting with us through church meal times aren’t generally much of a problem.

However, when we do have a fussy toddler we allow them to sit in someone’s lap. If we’re involved in a particularly long or deep discussion we’ve been known to find little ones under the table.

Our goal is for this time to be enjoyable, so while we do expect some semblance of order, we are also understanding of smaller attention spans and will cut things short or try to include them a little more by asking them questions and allowing them an opportunity to talk.

When everyone was small we probably didn’t necessarily stay for a whole hour if everyone was antsy. We also did a lot more of the singing and our little ones LOVE that.

9. Emily
    October 19, 2010 | 8:44 pm

I made the baked french toast for breakfast this morning and it was a hit! My 2 year old and 4 year old aren’t good breakfast eaters and they ate every bite! My 6 year old and my husband and I loved it too! =) Thanks for a yummy, easy breakfast recipe! We’re looking forward to having the baked oatmeal later this week!

10. […] insight into what other large families do for breakfast visit Smockity Frocks, The Common Room, Raising Olives, and Life in a […]

11. Mommy of 2
    February 10, 2011 | 8:12 am

I have a question anout the baked french toast…says to leave overnight n fridge…is there a particular type of bread you use? is it a typical sandwhich loaf bread or do you use a some other type? Also, says to bake at 350…does it just go in the oventhey way it sits(meaning, the way it comes out of the fridge form sitting over night) OR does it need to be transfered to a different pan or dish?? thanks so much.

We’ve used several different types of bread with this recipe and they’ve all worked out fine.

We put it into the oven after taking it out of the fridge.

12. Kellie Slater
    August 17, 2011 | 8:47 am

do you cook oatmeal covered or uncoverd? Thanks

Hi Kellie,

We generally cook it uncovered, but we may be doing it all wrong. 🙂