Current Favorites for Science, Bible and History

There are often things that I want to post about or recommend, but find that I don’t have time to get a full post together.  So here are some of our current favorite resources,  tools or blessings.

♥  Among the Pond People (and others in this series) – A delightful living science book with lovely, rich language and charming stories that are chock full of facts about living creatures, their habits and habitats.

One of the Tadpoles who had hatched last, swam up to the First Tadpole.  “Your breathing-gills are not so large as mine,” she said.

“They surely are!” he exclaimed, for he felt very big indeed, having been the first to hatch.

“Oh, but they are not!” cried all his friends.  “They don’t stick out as they used to.”  And that was true, for his breathing gills were sinking into his head, and they found that this was happening to all the older Tadpoles.

Each chapter is a complete story about a different creature and even Nicholas (2) asks for Pond People stories.  When I’m reading it aloud to the preschoolers and younger children, the older ones will often take a break and listen and several have made off with the book to read it on their own.

♥ The imagination of a 4 year old – Colby loves inchworms and talks of having jars and

Colby (4) with Inchworm John

jars full of his very own when he grows up. He found and cared for an inchworm, whom he named John, on vacation. When Inchworm John got lost Colby informed us that he went to find his wife, Inchworm Amber and that he would come back as soon as he found her. Colby is still waiting.

♥  Jamie Soles CDs – The more we listen to his music the more we enjoy it.  One day I mentioned to the children that it never hit me that John the Baptist was a Nazarite just like Samson and they said, “We knew John was a Nazarite because of that song on our Jamie Soles CD.”  Enjoyable music, Biblical truths, facts and actual words of Scripture, Jamie Soles continues to be a family favorite.  The kid’s current favorite is “Prophets” mine is “Pure Words”  (My full  review of Jamie Soles music.)

♥  Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History – This book had been on my wish list for years and we finally purchased it several months ago.  We regret that we didn’t purchase it sooner.  From long ago Polycarp to present day Richard Wurmbrand our children have thrilled to reading about these heroes of the faith.

♥  Two year old speech – Nicholas asks for apple spiders (cider) for breakfast and  jumps with excitement when it’s time to watch a ‘foofy’ (movie).

Isabella with her tag blanket

♥  Tag blankets – Our friend came by a short while after Isabella was born and gave both Isabella and Savannah (because of her upcoming surgery) personalized tag blankets and let the rest of the children choose the colors and designs that they preferred.  They’re cute, soft and easily transportable.

♥  Boxes – The kids are collecting all the boxes that they can get their hands on and constructing all sorts of imaginative creations; science labs, baby bassinets, cars, the tabernacle, etc.

♥  A Child’s Geography Explore the Holy Land – Living geography with a focus on the glory of God as it is demonstrated through the world around us.  Ann Voskamp makes geography breath!

What are some of your current favorites?

Raising Olives will reach a half million visitors today. $25 gift card to Amazon.com for the person who emails me a screen shot of the counter (at the bottom of Raising Olives) closest to 500,000.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter0

14 Responses to Current Favorites for Science, Bible and History
  1. bunny
    October 12, 2010 | 9:08 am

You are going to have a half million hits today, will there be a prize for your number 500,000 visitor?

2. Jessica
    October 12, 2010 | 11:24 am

I can’t seem to paste the screen shot in the message box to send an email. Is anyone else having a problem?

Hi Jessica,

Just email me telling me your number, if you’re closest you can respond to my email with the screen shot. :)

Thanks!

3. Becky
    October 12, 2010 | 11:42 am

Hello,
    I can’t seem to get the comment in either.
    Becky

Hi Becky,

Go ahead and email me via the contact form, if you’re closest then I’ll have you send the screen shot.

4. Heather
    October 12, 2010 | 12:10 pm

We need your direct email address not your contact form to enter :-)

Thanks Heather. Just email me your number and I’ll have you send the screen shot if you’re the closest.

5. Heather
    October 12, 2010 | 1:26 pm

I grabbed 500,096. I uploaded it to flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemom/5075747956/

6. Amy
    October 12, 2010 | 2:04 pm

We love Jamie Soles too! Him and his family came to our church last summer. They give a great concert!

We were privileged to host Jamie and Val in our home when they came to Knoxville for a concert. It was a wonderful time of fellowship.

Here is a fun fact. Did you know that the Soles family has the exact same child gender order as our family? Girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, girl, boy, then we went on and had another boy and another girl. I wonder what the chances of that happening are?

7. Jama
    October 12, 2010 | 2:43 pm

Here are some of our favorite things.

-Kingdom Series books and audio by Chuck Black. This is a Biblical allegory that my children have loved. His theology doesn’t match our beliefs in a few places, so it has also provided for opportunities to discuss differences.
    -Lamplighter Theater productions. These are abridged versions of some of the most popluar Lamplighter books. We have a large audio library and these are my all time favorites. They are available from Vision Forum and Grace an Truth Books.
    -Music by Nathan Clark George and Judy Rogers
    -Lauri products(especially puzzles and the large stacking peg set)
    -Ravensburger puzzles
    -We love all types of constrution toys (legos, Lincoln Logs, etc.) One of our favorites are Wedgits available from Timberdoodle.
    -Christian Heroes Then and Now series does an excellent job of bringing male and female heroes of the faith to life.

These are just a few that popped into my head after reading your post. I look forward to checking out some of your suggestions and reading what others like.

Congrats on hitting the 500,000 mark. You are a blessing to so many.

Jama thanks for sharing some of your favorites. I’m adding the Kingdom series to my Christmas idea list.

8. Traci
    October 12, 2010 | 9:04 pm

Right now I am loving the five in a row books for my little boys, and Sonlight core 1+2 for my daughter.

9. April
    October 12, 2010 | 10:06 pm

So who had a shot of the 500,000 mark??