Not Me: Skunks and Spit Up

Welcome to Not Me Monday, where I have the opportunity to tell you all the things that did NOT happen over the past week.

Since I have a great  laundry system, I’m always caught up on laundry and  Mark does not have a extra stash of underwear in his closet so that when he needs to remind me,  “I need you to wash our laundry” he isn’t completely out of underwear.

The weather was cold and raining on the third day of our  vacation (tent camping) and it was after dark when we grilled hot dogs and fed the children.   As all 12 of us were huddled around the picnic table eating and trying to avoid the rain dripping off the edges of our shelter, Kaitlin (12) did not quickly pull her feet up onto the bench and start yelling about a skunk under the table.   She did not claim that she had seen a skunk sneak under the screen of our shelter and dart under the table.

After attempting to calm everyone down,  begging them to,  for pity’s sake keep their feet still and looking under the table , Mark and I did not assure Kaitlin that it couldn’t have been a skunk that she saw.  A skunk certainly would not go under a table already occupied by 12 pairs of  feet.

A few minutes later, we did not discover, not one but  two skunks under the picnic table.

Yep, this is the best picture that I got of our skunks. Can you imagine camping with 10 kids AND dealing with skunk smell?? NOT me!

(Evidently skunks love hot dogs.)  Kaitlin was not jumping up and down with delight that we believed her story while she graciously accepted our apologies.

When Colby (4) put his shirt on backwards and inside out I immediately helped him to put it on correctly and did not allow him to wear it backward and inside out all day long.

Isabella spits up a lot, but I’ve got it under control.   We never find splats of dried spit up on the floor.  We never sleep on sheets that have been spit up upon and our  clothes never smell vaguely of spit up.

I do not keep between 4 and 6 spit clothes scattered around the house in strategic spots and I certainly never tell complete strangers who wish to hold Bella,  “Be careful, she spits” as I hand them a cloth.

Nope, not me!

More Not Me Mondays Raising Olives style.

Share on Facebook4Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter1

11 Responses to Not Me: Skunks and Spit Up
  1. chantelle
    October 11, 2010 | 8:48 am

Oh, this is one of your best “not me” Mondays. :) What a sweet picture of Isabella!

2. Samantha
    October 11, 2010 | 9:14 am

Baby 3 of 6 was a tragic spitter. I would have to go everywhere (meaning church) with lots of cloths and an extra outfit for him,or two, plus a shirt, and sometimes pants, for me. I would have to wash parts of my hair in the sink,clear an area at least two pews back for clearance and get used to the scent of regurgitated breast
    milk as a perfume :D

3. Deirdre
    October 11, 2010 | 10:20 am

Oh Bella is so cute! So did the skunks spray at all?

4. Shannon H.
    October 11, 2010 | 12:15 pm

Haha- Yeah , I have never let my kids wear their shirts inside out and backwards either, and I certainly was not thinking this was a way they could an extra day of wear of them! (wink)

5. Cindy in GA
    October 11, 2010 | 2:50 pm

O.K., the skunks would have completely freaked me out. <:-O You must tell us the rest of that story! How did you all get away from the skunks or get them away from you?

6. Jama
    October 11, 2010 | 3:17 pm

Still in shock that a family of your size could keep from “upsetting” the skunks. You’ve read Homer Price. Did anyone want to feed them some milk and keep them as pets?!?

7. pam
    October 11, 2010 | 6:45 pm

ooh yuck, how did you keep it from spraying. I would have freaked out and ran away leaving the kids and husband

8. Leigh Austin
    October 12, 2010 | 7:17 am

Thought about ya’ll that week it rained here too! I am sure your family will remember the skunk story alot funnier then it was!!

9. Smockity Frocks
    October 12, 2010 | 8:17 am

When someone new wants to hold Peyton, I tell them, “She’s a spitter.” I can’t figure out why she spits up so much! It’s more than any of our others.

10. Rebecca Burgener
    October 12, 2010 | 11:41 am

The arrival of the skunks would have been the end of our camping trip.

I say be thankful that your kids are dressing themselves so you don’t have to.

Want a not me?

It was not my child the peed through his diaper the first time my friend held him. We did not have diaper gap issues because he was so scrawny that caused a change of clothes with every diaper change. I did not have to warn people of said diaper gap issues.

;-) Aren’t kids great?

11. Jenny
    October 12, 2010 | 1:37 pm

Oh yes and we NEVER need a nap either:) You are an encouragement to me!