Wordless: Camping in Bulk

How do you get 12 people, their food and clothes for a week in addition to tents, sleeping bags, pillows, cooking equipment, pots, pans, stove, lights, chairs, scooters, etc. into a 12 passenger van?

Very carefully!

Some of our camp chairs

Making hot chocolate

Around the table

More wordless posts.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someoneTweet about this on Twitter

22 Responses to Wordless: Camping in Bulk
  1. Annie
    October 6, 2010 | 8:20 am

You are an inspiration! I can hardly get three kids going! β™₯

2. Renee
    October 6, 2010 | 8:25 am

wow that is amazing! And what a lovely camping crew you have there my dear! How did it go, everybody was happy?

We had a marvelous time despite a bit of cold rainy weather.

3. bunny
    October 6, 2010 | 8:34 am

And I thought I was organized!

4. chantelle
    October 6, 2010 | 9:31 am

Love it!! I didn’t see Bella, was she in the Moby? I would love to “see” your packing list sometime. πŸ™‚

Yes, Bella was probably in the Moby. Isabella got plenty of snuggle time on this trip. πŸ™‚

5. Jessica Hilliker
    October 6, 2010 | 9:43 am

I hope it was a very refreshing time for the whole family! There’s something about being surrounded with nothing but the beauty God created to humble and re-focus you!! Do you have any favorite camping spots to reccommend?

Jessica,

As a family we’re pretty new to the camping scene. My family camped when I was a child, but we just started camping with our kids about 3 years ago.

This time we camped at Fall Creek Falls and we have enjoyed several trips to Bandy Creek, but we are still at the point of asking our friends for recommendations when it comes to camping locations.

6. Mrs. White
    October 6, 2010 | 11:02 am

You must have had a wonderful time!

blessings
    Mrs. White

7. Dawn
    October 6, 2010 | 11:49 am

I love camping but not the packing and loading part. I can’t believe you fit all the gear and supplies in!

8. Jenny
    October 6, 2010 | 12:14 pm

Fun, fun!! I love seeing the whole crew sitting around the table πŸ˜‰ We missed out on camping this year but the kids are looking forward to going again next summer!

9. Kristine
    October 6, 2010 | 1:13 pm

I’d love to know what all y’all ate while camping. I can never figure out what to cook.

Kristine,

We enjoy eating on vacation and really splurge on our food budget. We’re also pretty new to camping so we’re still learning.

We always have eggs with some type of meat (bacon, sausage or corned beef hash), oatmeal, hot chocolate and toast or a sweet roll for breakfast (yes, all of that).

Lunch is always fruit and veggies with sandwiches.

Dinner is a meat (steak, pork chops, chicken, ribs, etc) with a fun side dish (mac and cheese, broccoli and rice, refried beans, etc) and generally canned veggies.

I’m hoping to put our camping list up on the blog sometime (maybe in the spring) and that includes our meal plan and shopping list.

10. renee
    October 6, 2010 | 2:17 pm

Ok how on earth did you get all that and the family in a van lol

11. Megan
    October 6, 2010 | 4:48 pm

Great Wordless Wednesday post! What fun family memories!

12. MomStarr
    October 6, 2010 | 5:32 pm

How did Bella do? I want to go with Jim and the kids but have either been pregnant or with newborn and have not wanted to try that!! Do you have advice? Maybe you could do a post on your organization for camping trips including the baby factor!! Also each child’s responsibility. πŸ™‚

Bella camped like a champ!

My advice for camping with a baby is have big kids, preferably several of them. I held Bella between 20-22 hours each day of our trip and when I wasn’t holding her someone else usually was. πŸ™‚ The big kids were able to help with other things around the camp or give me a baby break and allow me to help.

We camped when Nicholas was about 6 months and he lived in the ERGO. It was easier to camp with him at that age than it was with Bella at 2 1/2 months, but that may also be differences in their personalities.

If you decide to go let me know and I’ll email you our packing list. Steve and Susan let me use theirs and it’s the only way that I made it that first time.

13. Brandi
    October 6, 2010 | 6:53 pm

I love the chairs around the fire, that is awesome!

14. Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads
    October 6, 2010 | 7:39 pm

Packing is the adventure before the real adventure begins. I have a hard enough time getting things put together for the 3 of us (and the dog), so kudos to you for being so organized. πŸ™‚ Looks like you had a fun trip!

15. Dominga
    October 7, 2010 | 11:20 am

I LOVE THIS!!!

16. Tami
    October 12, 2010 | 8:06 pm

Please please show a packing list. We have 5 kids and the packing stressed dear husband so we didn’t go this year.(and I packed, he just loaded!) How and where on earth did you fit it all… and still have room to bring the kids!?! Cooking is hard too. Just finding room for all the food and good ideas! Would love to hear how you did it.

17. cindy
    October 1, 2012 | 1:15 pm

We camp in a tent with 7 kids and it is alot work but so fun.
    I make a menu and make as much food ahead as possible and bring it frozen (works well for ice too)..homemade hamburgers, taco meat, pulled pork, meatballs, chicken cooked and cubed for chicken salad. I do my cooking the beginning of the week of packing and clothes the end of the week, so I am not so stressed about it..but definite benefits to keeping it all to one day. πŸ™‚